• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does the DS and Wii still selling well make anyone else think the same thing happens with MS and Sony with their next console (i.e., 360 taking sales away from the new console)?

The drop from 2011 is fairly significant. MS can't go another year with only the 360. MS can trump that they are the best of the worst, but these numbers aren't anything great to talk about.

Top console at 1.26 million, PS3 around 600K to 700K (based on MS data), and everything else under?

If MS can't afford to wait until 2014 to launch the Nextbox, makes you wonder how Sony is going to manage to do it with the PS4 if rumours are to be believed.

There wasn't a single launch title that had the kind of draw that Twilight Princess had though.

I don't think that's the problem (if it's a problem). There were literally only two things to play on Wii when it launched, and one of them came bundled with the system.

Compare that to Wii U, with 20+ strong core titles, meaning everyone picks up different stuff. Some get Mario, some Zombi U, some Blops.

verbum

So I feel this top 10 establishes (not that it wasn't obvious) that went the market contracts, it's the longstanding, megapopular series that survive and excel.

Brand names. When you have a limited budget and you want to buy a game, a lot of people go for the safe, familiar choice.

Let's say Wii U sold 500k. Let's say some piece of software had the same initial attach rate as Twilight Princess did with the Wii in 2006. It'd almost certainly have made the top 10.

I don't know, isn't the 10 spot usually only a bit under a million in November? The install base would have to be twice as much for a game to chart.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does the DS and Wii still selling well make anyone else think the same thing happens with MS and Sony with their next console (i.e., 360 taking sales away from the new console)?

I suspect the 360 will take some sales away from the Xbox 720, but that the core proposition will seem much more differentiated by the amount of third party support that isn't available on the old system in a moderately short period after launch.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The culprit, he says, was Wii U hardware sales, which came in about $50 million below expected, and sales of Nintendo handhelds, the DS and 3DS. "Wii U hardware was sold out, we checked, so it's a supply issue," he says. But Wii U software sales "was abysmal, only Super Mario sold any meaningful units."

What the heck does "we checked" mean? Yeah, it's initial shipment sold out, but they've had multiple re-stocks since then.

Let's say Wii U sold 500k. Let's say some piece of software had the same initial attach rate as Twilight Princess did with the Wii in 2006. It'd almost certainly have made the top 10.

I'm not so sure, in November in a SKUs combined top 10 I wouldn't be surprised if the lowest game sold ~400-500K

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So then it's not the install base that would impede a Wii U title from making the top 10, but rather the quality/appeal of the launch software. ;)

Not sure. I think the top 10 is out of reach for any Wii U title, maybe even if it sold to close to 100% of owners.

The combined chart is what is stopping anything exclusive to the Wii U charting IMO.

I don't think that's the problem (if it's a problem). There were literally only two things to play on Wii when it launched, and one of them came bundled with the system.

Compare that to Wii U, with 20+ strong core titles, meaning everyone picks up different stuff. Some get Mario, some Zombi U, some Blops.

Don't forget about Excite Truck!

ffdgh

The ds name confusion continues.....*sigh*

As much as I love it kill the thing so the 3ds can live.
LLShC.gif

Pooya

for the new page

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter deemed the November sales results -- a record 12 months of declines -- as "worse than I expected."

The culprit, he says, was Wii U hardware sales, which came in about $50 million below expected, and sales of Nintendo handhelds, the DS and 3DS. "Wii U hardware was sold out, we checked, so it's a supply issue," he says. But Wii U software sales "was abysmal, only Super Mario sold any meaningful units."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/12/06/npd-video-game-sales-november/1752081/

sajj316

What was ps3 in 2011. It's almost 2x less than the 360 so we can approximate with the 2011 number since it didn't increase YOY.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
3DS already has Mario Kart, 3D Mario and 2D Mario, yet it sold less units this November than in 2011.

It's not that impressive if you consider that Wii is practically dead and Wii U has just released.
Forget Wii U. This is really surprising to me.

Mrbob

Interestingly, Callahan also pointed out that Wii U's launch performance compared quite favorably to the original Wii's launch (from a revenue standpoint). “The much anticipated launch of the new Wii U console brought in more dollars than the Wii launch in November 2006, up 21 percent from that launch month," he said. "With an average price 35 percent higher for the Wii U at launch compared to the Wii, this is an example of how consumers are willing to come out and spend when they see the value of the product.”

With an average price 35 percent higher than the Wii (Means an average of $336 per Wii U system aka hardly anyone wants the Basic model) and only 21 percent boost in dollars, this is some interesting spin. Especially when I'm guessing the 21 percent boost includes Wii U software which is 10 dollars more than Wii software was at launch.

Plinko

The ds name confusion continues.....*sigh*

As much as I love it kill the thing so the 3ds can live.
LLShC.gif

Nintendo made the exact same error with both their handheld and their console. It's mind-boggling.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
DS being up and 3DS down tells us that there is still huge confusion regarding the platforms. They are so close in price that DS should die 3DS get those sales but it's not happening. Really bizarre.
There were pretty massive DS sales around Black Friday if I recall. The 3DS was $169, with a game yes, but that's still like $50 more than the DS MSRP.

Hmm, so what does that mean for people who WERE buying a Wii U, since apparently they weren't buying any games? Scalpers, people who assumed Nintendo Land would suffice (as Wii Sports did for "casuals"), people with gadget lust, or?

There were a shit ton of games to chose from. Not everyone can buy them all.....

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DS being up and 3DS down tells us that there is still huge confusion regarding the platforms. They are so close in price that DS should die 3DS get those sales but it's not happening. Really bizarre.

No. It tells us that the DS was being sold at ridiculously discounted prices during Black Friday.

Ridley327

I think it's a mix of both myself; Twilight Princess had years of hype leading up to it release, and while the pickings were much better with the Wii U, it doesn't really have that kind of game for its launch lineup.

No WiiU games? No PS All Stars? Yikes.

Sad to see no Paper Mario or LittleBigKarting either, even tho it was expected.

Cool to see Skylanders up there tho. Especially since its not its premiere month.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
If only NSMBU sold anything "meaningful" than everything else bombed hard, including ZombiU.

Pociask

Regarding the good news for Nintendo regarding Wii U revenue, all I have to say is...

CALLED IT! 11/26/12:

Comparisons to the Wii's first week are absolutely appropriate, but don't forget an important point - those Wii's were all sold at 249.99 with a game bundled in. The Wii U is selling at 299.99 with no game bundled in, and at 349.99 with a game bundled in.

Hard to do a proper comparison, but if you figure 400k WiiU's at ASP of 325 vs. 600k Wii's at ASP of 250, you're talking $130,00,000 revenue for WiiU vs. $150,000,000 for the Wii. Obviously Nintendo doesn't get all of that.

Of course that's very back of the envelope, and doesn't even consider profit margin (which would require knowing how much the Wii U is losing, how much the Wii made, and a lot of info about software (digital and retail) besides).

Edit: If Wii launch sales were really closer to 500k as stated by others, then you're talking 125 million in revenue for the Wii launch week - LESS THAN the Wii U launch week. I'd say that deserves a tip of the hat (if sales hold up, we can even say Nintendo didn't make a mistake raising the price so much - don't want to be premature about that. See 3DS).

Man, Novembers are really when I wish we lived in the age of glorious NPD leaks. I'd love to see how old gems like Mario Kart DS are trucking along, or how the NBA game sold on Wii U, quirky stuff like that. And I really want to see Scibblenauts U succeed, if only because Jackson = awesome, and we need more games where you turn words into awesome.

Plinko

Bruno MB

Black Friday sales:

Xbox 360 - 750k
Wii + Wii U - 700k

So Xbox 360 outselling both Nintendo consoles during the month of November is not surprising at all.

Maybe the 3DS needs to be rebranded? :/
Change the boxes at least.

Also how about:
- 3DS XL
- Super Mario 3D Land
- A popular DS game installed on the system

Also a 3DS Lite to replace original 3DS build quality would work well too.
Nintendo should make DS games downloadable. PRONTO.

Linkhero1

Nintendo made the exact same error with both their handheld and their console. It's mind-boggling.

It's going to cost them in the long run. Not sure why they didn't just go with a new name and make it plain and obvious that it's a new console. There's no need to be clever when naming your product. Make it as simple as possible for consumers to understand it's something new.

U2NUMB

I fully expect the 720 to still hit next fall but I also expect MS to handle this transition much different than they did last time. I think they would be just fine having the 360 sell for years.. think about a 99 dollar version (no contract crap) for the years to come still able to play the latest games that will no doubt still come out due to the install base.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter deemed the November sales results -- a record 12 months of declines -- as "worse than I expected."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/12/06/npd-video-game-sales-november/1752081/
I wonder what the 3DS sold.

Not sure if pointed out, but I don't think "nearly 2x all other consoles" is referring to marketshare but rather absolute numbers. I.e. they sold nearly twice as many 360s as any other single platform.

If they were talking about marketshare that would be ~60% and would mean the Wii + Wii U + PS3 only sold about 700K combined which we know isn't correct.

Top Bottom