• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

sticksave

Neo Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
Those sound more like the numbers they'd have sold in the US since September than worldwide.

I was only going through November so I think they are close to worldwide. By the end of December those could be the US only numbers.

TJ Spyke

Looks like Namco Bandai made a good decision to release a game compatible with the Wii Balance Board on the same day as Wii Fit. The reviews were pretty good too. If I am ever able to get Wii Fit (it's like always sold out), I might get this too (yes I know you don't HAVE to have the Wii Balance Board to play it).

jibblypop

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Looks like Namco Bandai made a good decision to release a game compatible with the Wii Balance Board on the same day as Wii Fit. The reviews were pretty good too. If I am ever able to get Wii Fit (it's like always sold out), I might get this too (yes I know you don't HAVE to have the Wii Balance Board to play it).

I picked that game up for cheap. Honestly it's pretty fun. When people come over they seem to ask for it, too.

Jammy

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Not sure where to post this but...'We Ski' apparently just reached a million units sold worldwide. The regional breakdown is as follow :

US : 530k
Europe : 330k
Japan : 130k

Ofiicial press release (JPN) :
http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/press/release/pdf/54-023.pdf

For reference, the game debuted in the US at #13 back in May, with a number of copies sold comprised between 60k and 102k. Those are some rather impressive legs...

Given how near spot-on the Japan numbers are compared to what Sales-Age and Famitsu have, and given the popularity of Wii Fit and all things Balance Board, not to mention the first month numbers, there's no reason not to believe this numbers.

HUGE success for Bandai-Namco, especially given the budget, etc.

It really makes me question how with all these sales, along with Nerf N Strike, Rock Band, etc. that companies question their sales on Wii.

dyls

Stormbringer said:
Not sure where to post this but...'We Ski' apparently just reached a million units sold worldwide. The regional breakdown is as follow :

For reference, the game debuted in the US at #13 back in May, with a number of copies sold comprised between 60k and 102k. Those are some rather impressive legs...

I guess this is why they seem to be putting a lot of effort into the sequel. The first game was a fun diversion that provided a solid control scheme at its base, but the sequel looks to expand on everything in a big way.

youtube vid

Jammy

Banned
dyls said:
I guess this is why they seem to be putting a lot of effort into the sequel. The first game was a fun diversion that provided a solid control scheme at its base, but the sequel looks to expand on everything in a big way.

youtube vid

Are there any high scores or ring challenges or racing in the game?

Now I really want a Snowboard Kids 3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So there's this crazy rumor (Digg via Chartzzzz) circulating around that Nintendo sold a million Wiis just last week... might be true, but probably isn't. Thought it was worth thinking about though.

If it is indeed true, Wii is a shoe-in to beat PS2's best month/December.

Andrex said:
So there's this crazy rumor (Digg via Chartzzzz) circulating around that Nintendo sold a million Wiis just last week... might be true, but probably isn't. Thought it was worth thinking about though.

Not if that was the last of the U.S.'s supply of Wii! :lol

SilverLunar said:
But GAF said it is impossible for the Wii to reach 4m this month, which is what needed to beat the PS2, right?

PS2's best month was 2.7m. It doesn't need that much of an increase to surpass it.

1 million Wiis in one week sounds crazy, but given that its the week before Christmas, it hardly seems impossible. If it did pull that off, this next NPD will be insane.

Jammy

Banned
SilverLunar said:
But GAF said it is impossible for the Wii to reach 4m this month, which is what needed to beat the PS2, right?

???

:lol

PS2's December record was like 2.4 or 2.8 million... I forget. The Wii nearly reached that this NOVEMBER.

Jammy

Banned
SilverLunar said:
So 3m is good enough to beat the PS2? I wonder if there is enough Wiis out there to reach that :eek: *cross fingers*

More than enough. No console has ever sold 3 million in one territory in one month before.

Hell, I remember when DS doing over 600,000 in Japan for a week was mind-boggling for the longest time. That's a record over there.

markatisu

Jammy said:
It really makes me question how with all these sales, along with Nerf N Strike, Rock Band, etc. that companies question their sales on Wii.

They question their sales because they dont get them all in one month as they are accustomed to on the 360

You will notice that most of the Wii developers who do not complain about the Wii (Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom) are content with earning their money over the span of a few months while the ones that complain all the time (EA and Activision) want their money in 30-60 days

Which is what makes things like Guitar Hero ironic because it was clear from Day 1 that GH was being pushed on the 360 till the world was turned upside last winter when the Wii version showed signs of staying competitive and then surpassing the previous two GH platforms (PS2 and 360), a feat which has been repeated with GH Aerosmith, GHWT, and almost by Rock Band Wii (which is about to pass 800k-1.1m which would put it 2nd behind the 360 and past the PS2 and PS3 easily)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
donny2112 said:
It's not a rumor. It is VGC numbers. That just makes them useless. :p

I think "rumor" is good enough all things considered, and makes for interesting
bannable
speculation until we get some "official" info. :)

Neomoto

Stormbringer said:

Awesome news. I think RRR TV Party and Shaun White Snowboarding (Wii version) will do very well too because of the Balance Board push. We Ski deserved this succes, and while I didn't know a 2nd one was coming the video of that game looked pretty awesome. Hope that one will do well too :)

later

Andrex said:

Hmm, I was banned last time for even mentioning vgchartzzz.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vanguardian1 said:
I think "rumor" is good enough all things considered, and makes for interesting
bannable
speculation until we get some "official" info. :)

i hurd teh wii sold 0 units last week!!!!!

dig this post!!!!!! MAHBUTTCHARTZ 4TW. MAHBUTT > NPD!!!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:

lol

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
4 million is what PS2 did in its best November+December.

Facts:
* In October, Reggie said supply was 50% greater in Q4 2008 than Q4 2007.
* Wii Oct-08 was ~50% increase over Wii Oct-07.
* Wii Nov-08 was ~100% increase over Wii Nov-07.

Possibilities:
1. Reggie knew about our prediction threads and wanted to laugh at us.
2. Dec-08 will be << Nov-08 resulting in Q4 ending up ~150% of Q4 2007.
3. Dec-08 will be > Nov-08 resulting in Q4 ending up >> 150% of Q4 2007.

Possible Causes:
For 1: Reggie really does read these forums. Bring over Mother 3!
For 2: Retailers moved up stock to November that they had held back to December last year resulting in a much more barren December this year.
For 3: Since EU sales were up 43% in November and Japanese sales are down yoy, maybe extra stock was sent from Japan.

That or Reggie was being overly cautious in his public statements but knew that the possibility of a > 50% increase in supply could happen.

PikaBitca

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Don't know how up to date this is but:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/games/articles/nintendo-to-offer-videos-on-wii/2008/12/26/1229998700053.html

Nintendo has shipped 34.55 million Wii consoles around the world, 80 per cent of which are sitting near televisions in living rooms, the company said, adding that 40 per cent of Wii consoles are linked to the internet.

Hope that helps the Sales-Agers!

80% of 34.55 million is 27.64 million. Seems a bit low isn't it?

Edit: AFP is the source of the article by the way.

FrankT

Phife Dawg said:
These are shipped (to retailers) numbers though, I think the guy was asking for sold through (to customers). It also paints a different picture because I'd wager Wii has less inventory on the shelfs.

US + Japan is available, but Europe and the rest of the world involves a lot of guesswork.

US (thanks Cap. Smoker):
Wii: 15,391,000
360: 12,449,000
PS3: 6,062,000

Japan (thanks JJS):
Wii: 7,212,966
PS3: 2,537,348
360: 732,947

US+Japan:
Wii: 22,603,966
360: 13,181,947
PS3: 8,599,348

Wii is ahead considerably in Europe as well and 360 leads by around 1 million in Europe in comparison to PS3 so the ranks wouldn't switch when including Europe.

Cap. Smoker did some great stuff in this thread. But it only includes 2007 and 2008 numbers for specific countries. 2007: UK, Germany, France (three biggest VG markets in Europe). 2008: Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Spain, UK. You can use these to guesstimate the rest or something.
Varying parts of Europe (as outlined above) 2007+2008:
Wii: 5,931,500
360: 1,908,500
PS3: 2,596,625

Complete numbers would have to be considerably higher and would also have to reflect 360's lead on PS3. But the numbers can help with the ratio between Wii and PS3+360. We can assume that 360 is 6m in Europe thanks to this article (could be shipped though as it's coming from MS itself). PS3 is 1m behind, so 5m. Doubling the 360 number would bring Wii to 12m. Something like this:
Wii: 34,500,000
360: 19,000,000
PS3: 13,500,000

But I guess others have more data to guesstimate better. Wii is nearing PS3+360 or has already overtaken it though (thanks in part to the insane performance in this NPD period).

19 million is pretty much completely off for WW through Nov. Even likely off for just adding in Europe as well. That is an old article you are quoting with Euro numbers at six. MS stated 7 million in Europe alone the third week in Nov and as of late with Euro numbers they have quoted GFK/Chart Track backed up by the Eurogamer article with 25 million shipped at that point. 6 million on shelves I think not. You get over 20 million just by adding that in by the last week of Nov with another 2 million for sure in the rest of WW sales. AU and Canada would be near three quarters of that alone. Even if one were to argue 6 million sell through in Europe at that time it would still be well over 21 million WW at that point.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32414/Xbox-360-storms-past-7m-sales-i********

donny2112

PikaBitca said:
80% of 34.55 million is 27.64 million.

80% are near a TV in the living room. It's not saying that 80% is the sell-through percentage. Most of the other 20% would be in someone's individual room, for example.

PikaBitca

Andrex said:
40% is online? That's actually very encouraging.

Yeah i was thinking the exact same thing. I don't how how active that 40% are, but if you do the math, that means the total amount of Wii users that access Nintendo's online services are nearly as many as TOTAL Xbox360 users, which is frankly amazing given how much Microsoft touts it's online service.

Parl

PikaBitca said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Don't know how up to date this is but:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/games/articles/nintendo-to-offer-videos-on-wii/2008/12/26/1229998700053.html

Hope that helps the Sales-Agers!

80% of 34.55 million is 27.64 million. Seems a bit low isn't it?

Edit: AFP is the source of the article by the way.
Very old, and therefore, far lower than Wii's current shipment. And as donny said, the 80% refers to them just being in the living room as opposed to elsewhere in the home.

There's probably about 43 million out there now. Maybe 44 million.

Rocksteady33

I know this thread should probably be dead and buried at this point, but not sure if anyone picked up on this IGN article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936938p2.html

Notice at the bottom they list Wii's highest selling games for the year, not sure where the numbers come from, although I would presume NPD through November. Very interesting to see Deca Sports and Endless Ocean on there considering I'm pretty sure neither one ever charted.

Rocksteady33 said:
I know this thread should probably be dead and buried at this point, but not sure if anyone picked up on this IGN article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936938p2.html

Notice at the bottom they list Wii's highest selling games for the year, not sure where the numbers come from, although I would presume NPD through November. Very interesting to see Deca Sports and Endless Ocean on there considering I'm pretty sure neither one ever charted.
Yeah and Crisis Core topped the PSP chart, safe to say Dissidia will come to the US too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aaron Strife said:
Wasn't there something earlier about Bozon touting numbers for TWEWY using vgchartzzz numbers?

It was a quick lookup for rough figures during one of their podcasts.

markatisu

Aaron Strife said:
Wasn't there something earlier about Bozon touting numbers for TWEWY using vgchartzzz numbers?

Yeah during an podcast, the numbers provided above are either from an article Forbes ran citing NPD numbers or another industry source. They are not fake (and I think the source for the appears somewhere in this thread as well as the LTD Top 10 for Wii where we saw Links Crossbow selling almost 2mil)

Eteric Rice

markatisu said:
Yeah during an podcast, the numbers provided above are either from an article Forbes ran citing NPD numbers or another industry source. They are not fake (and I think the source for the appears somewhere in this thread as well as the LTD Top 10 for Wii where we saw Links Crossbow selling almost 2mil)

What were TWEWY numbers?

Aaron Strife said:
I'm certain they're from NPD, those charts match NPD numbers well, not so much with vgchartzzz.

Edit: After further check ups, I think these charts only include best sellers released in 2008 only, for example NSMB charted many times this year including June, which was the month Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift was released but never charted. NSMB wasn't in the IGN chart but FFT A2 was. Either that or these numbers aren't from NPD.

Top Bottom