• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

Sharpeye

Neither did afaik.

A lot of people thought so because MK X was featured during the Sony E3 2014 presser, but there has been 0 co-marketing on adds, no exclusive DLC anything, no pre-order bonus exclusive, etc.

Is that so, They always used the playstation version during streams, Conan, and demos so I thought that was Sony paying for marketing.

Richie

What's sad about the Wii U's number is that it actually increased from last year's.

That said, great showing for Smash, Xenoblade and Mario Party 10, going by comments in this thread.

Jigorath

Banned
Fifa, probably. AssCreed must not be that far behind. Heck, Mario games manage to sell 4+ mil on a dead console.

None of the Mario franchises are annualized. Unity didn't come close to 20m. Fifa, maybe but I'm not sure how well the last one sold.

Atlas157

ps4 not winning april npd is obviously the result of the constant delays of the few exclusives announced by sony, refusal to remain priced competitively against xbox due to sony's obvious cockiness, relying on third parties and indies, lack of meaningful system software updates; have you seen the screen shots image quality on xbox one? ps4's only critically acclaimed exclusive so far is incredibly niche it is not hard to see why ps4 did not maintain momentum, the better console won this month

What am I reading?

Oh for sure. Not taking anything away from MS, they flat out won the month and an increase year over year is always a good thing. I guess the relatively low hardware numbers are more an "its April" thing than anything else.

Ya, that's what I take it as, April and May are kind of slower months from what I can remember. The number sounded low to me at first too and then I looked up May sales and saw they are traditionally lower

Pandy

Wii U finally down this month YoY. Outside of a price cut, I don't see how it ever goes higher the rest of the year.

The Splatoon bundle will do okay, but it's only going to make a difference if it launches alongside a major price cut. I suppose Nintendo could still be planning a cut at the last minute, as they wouldn't want to completely kill sales in the meantime.

If they haven't done it by Black Friday, you'll probably be able to get an new XBO or PS4 cheaper than a new WiiU.

Sony is not price cutting the PS4 because they lost a month in the U.S. to Xbox which only sold 187k. Y'all crazy.
Agree 100%. An April NPD result is a tiny blip on the radar. At worst they lost by...what...3000 units? 30,000 units? They're not cutting the price based on either of those numbers. And its not like 187k is amaze-balls or anything.

sense

Hopefully From is pissed that their masterpiece already fell off the charts and makes their next game multiplat. Would have loved a 60fps Bloodborne.

i would bet they are very happy with how the game sold and would most likely make another exclusive for sony. it sucks for pc and xb1 but that is what i see happening. there will be another dark souls game multiplat tho

All hail Minecraft and its reign through to the holidays.

Still yet to read any sound reasoning behind the Xbox shocker. I thought this would be a sleeper month. Hopefully we get some sexy pie chart action later that causes a riot.

What's sad about the Wii U's number is that it actually increased from last year's.

That said, great showing for Smash, Xenoblade and Mario Party 10, going by comments in this thread.
Yup. It puts things into perspective about how bad the Wii U has done and is doing. Love the machine but man is it rough when it comes to NPDs for Nintendo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many yearly franchises sell 20m copies? Call of Duty and...?

So to answer your question more generally, here are some major franchises and what they have been selling recently:

GTA: 35 million (or 45 if we want to count PS4/XB1, but I realize there's a lot of rebuying here)
CoD: 20-25 million
Diablo: 20+ million
Elder Scrolls: 20+ million
Battlefield: 15-18 million
FIFA: 12-14 million
Pokemon: 10-14 million
Assassin's Creed: 10-12 million
Watch Dogs: 10+ million
Smash Bros: 10+ million
Borderlands: 10+ million
Far Cry: 7-10 million
Tomb Raider: 8.5 million
The Last of Us: 7 million
NBA: 7-8 million
Fallout: 6+ million
Resident Evil: 6+ million
Madden: 5-6 million
Gears of War: 5-6 million
Uncharted: 5-6 million
Need For Speed: 4-5 million

I haven't even listed out things like Mario or Zelda or Destiny or Gran Turismo or Halo or LEGO or Skylanders.

2 million isn't very big by today's standards, especially for a $60 retail title.

Relativ9

This is great news for Playststion gamers, might increase the likelihood of Sony doing a price drop this E3 as there won't be any more NPD reports before then (right?). Sony on the defensive is good Sony (hyperbole I know).

I'm not surprised Bloodborne didn't chart again. Very few games outside of BF, CoD, Halo, GTA, Minecraft and EA sports games manage that.

I'm probably missing a couple of brands in that list, but you get my point.

psn

Good news !! I want healthy competition (in the States/UK at least...).
Competition is not a 50/50 split. And I wouldn't even be afraid if Microsoft decides to step out of the console business.. I mean, just look at the library of the ps2 and the sales gap.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is great news for Playststion gamers, might increase the likelihood of Sony doing a price drop this E3 as there won't be any more NPD reports before then (right?). Sony on the defensive is good Sony (hyperbole I know).

Sony on the defensive? Good lord. Its one month where they were most likely barely outsold. In ONE country where they already have a decent lead.

I'm more wondering what occurred on the Xbox side yo have the good sales. There weren't any releases of note were there?

Toki767

All hail Minecraft and its reign through to the holidays.

Still yet to read any sound reasoning behind the Xbox shocker. I thought this would be a sleeper month. Hopefully we get some sexy pie chart action later that causes a riot.

Depending on how much Xbox One won by, the most reasonable guess would be a number of factors taking place including:

Bloodborne + MLB probably pushing up PS4 sales early in March
Arkham Knight PS4 bundle putting potential buyers to wait till June
Gamestop doing a trade-in deal where you could get a Halo MCC Xbox One bundle for $225 if you traded in a 360 or PS3.

Jigorath

Banned
So to answer your question more generally, here are some major franchises and what they have been selling recently:

GTA: 35 million (or 45 if we want to count PS4/XB1, but I realize there's a lot of rebuying here)

I haven't even listed out things like Mario or Zelda or Destiny or Gran Turismo or Halo or LEGO or Skylanders.

2 million isn't very big by today's standards, especially for a $60 retail title.

I see your point. It's definitely not a massive seller so it's a good thing From Software knows how to budget their titles well.

Welfare

Weird month, if I'm correct I don't remember either side having any big promotions, releases, anything really this month.

11082657_979897658688729_8246494703733826584_n.jpg

11014832_991121760899652_9172710753542861855_n.jpg

I have slightly different numbers. Did you use 267k for 3DS in march?

Yes. Wasn't that what was used in the predictions?

Unexpected. Good for MS and Xbox.If Xbox wins May, which I doubt, and then MS have this amazing E3 full of "the best games lineup in Xbox history" in June they could really build up quite a bit of momentum. Of course, there is that Batman PS4 bundle in June.

He said yearly, which rules out the vast majority of that list

Geg

The Splatoon bundle will do okay, but it's only going to make a difference if it launches alongside a major price cut. I suppose Nintendo could still be planning a cut at the last minute, as they wouldn't want to completely kill sales in the meantime.

If they haven't done it by Black Friday, you'll probably be able to get an new XBO or PS4 cheaper than a new WiiU.

I really don't see how a price cut would make much difference at this point. Are there really that many people who are only holding off on the Wii U because of its price?

Top Bottom