• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

I doubt it.

The fact that they lost so many 3rd party marketing deals to Sony tells me that there's been some major budget cuts at Xbox over the last year or so. Picking up timed exclusivity for a 10-15m selling title would be impossible if they can't even secure marketing for Call of Duty anymore.

as jeff gerstmann pointed out, that could come down to a lot of things--it could've been a bidding war where sony was just willing to put more on the line or it could've just been that xbox decided that with the decline the franchise has seen it wouldn't have been worth it to pay big money for something that gives less and less returns to the brand.

keep in mind, sony picked up cod and battlefront, sure, but ms picked up fallout 4, has a year long timed exclusivity on rottr (that would not remotely have been cheap), and kept fifa and madden.

Because BC is a concept that is easy for the masses to understand and costs nothing extra. EA Access is a great addition that I subscribe to, but I constantly have to explain to people what it includes. The mass market doesn't really get it yet.

Yeah BC is an easy concept but MS's definition is a little more complicated.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So....they are trying to maximize profit and that's why they haven't cut the price? :)

Thanks for your thoughts

I guess it was a waste of time and insulting your intelligence to argue about how later profits can be generated with temporary losses trying to generate more demand (the point I was making), so burn deserved... but the "Thanks for your thoughts" bit is freaking annoying... The worst part lol.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
August 2014

“When lining up sales of PS4 and Xbox One after 10 months on the market,” said Callahan, “the combined PS4 and Xbox One hardware sales are greater by over 70 percent compared to their predecessors.”

August 2015

Now is 45%.

Auch...

A 5-6 year generation sounds right.
New Xbox in 2018

PS5 in 2019

Agreed with this.

LOL! So much salt for Until Dawn.

Guys, Until Dawn sold great WW. If the game is undershipped, there is demand for it.

Source?

If a full priced new IP like Until Dawn is considered a flop at 90k, what can be said of the 109k that the 30$ Rare Replay did for the entire month, despite being called "best compilation ever" on several websites ? The Rare Legacy is irrelevant, and Microsoft should close the studio before their next failure ?

Both sold bad. Easy...

Did you know that Until Dawn was trending as the second most searched keyword on Google Malaysia last week.

The more you know.....

lKvgfEK.gif

While BC is a great thing to have and obviously great from a consumer standpoint it's not something people will rush out to buy a console for.

Not when they realise they'll have to download a relatively large file (6GB+) when they put their physical disc in just to play the game, because it has to be re-downloaded and can't be played from the original disc; and that's only if the disc they have is actually supported.

EA Access is here more than a year. For me it's better value than BC, but MS advertises it in FIFA 16 bundle. Didn't boost sales. How you expect that BC will boost sales?
You mean in Madden bundle? And that bundle won't include EA Access in Gamestop, which is clearly biggest retailer.

Having only an NPD thread every month is boring, and the constant corrections of "This is NPD, of course I'm talking only about U.S"Wish there was a monthly place to actually discuss world-wide trends.

Anyway, I think X1 kills it this year, and slows down next, PS4 does very well this year, and kills it early next. Sony is likely looking into Middle East, China, European countries to expand globally, I don't think the focus is so much on U.S anymore where mobile gaming has sucked so much of the casual audience up on devices they use every day. You can't compete with that, in fact, I think PSnow will one day turn into a service where you buy games directly to different devices, but to get back on sales, don't see a price-drop besides the stealth one now with bundles. PS4 is essentially $350 base, and that's all I think we'll see for the Holiday's, more games added to that base. PS4's peak is yet to come, while I think X1's maybe right around the corner.

The install base is certainly going to be lower this gen compared to the ~275m install base from last gen and will even be lower than the ~210m from PS2 gen. Consoles are primarily selling to core gamers and the wider market are satisfied through Mobile, PC and other gaming solutions. I do think that the console market will remain stable over the next few years in terms of hardware sales and software sales, whilst PC and Mobile grow fast.

I'm not sure how this gen will last in all honesty.

Here's what I've been saying since 2014.

Forecast2014REV2_zpsjmuevfai.jpg

5YearforecastREV2_zpsoljkq8vq.jpg
Solid predictions I think this is how the gen ends up as well, but you'll have to throw in NX later on. Also, I think PS4 will cross the 100 million point. It's approaching 35 - 40 million at a somewhat "high" price-point for what people like to spend on video-game consoles. I think Sony's software has a broader appeal than MS's worldwide, and a $300 and $250 PS4 will go places X1 won't even be mentioned. Good example, next year, SFV, UC4, GT7, FF15 are all huge potential sellers for PS4, and all target very different segments of the video game market.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
There is no numbers yet. Game is undershipped. If game is high on many charts ( especially PAL ) for few weeks now, what is logic conclusion? Game is not selling well, right?

No, because withouth numbers there is absolutely no way for know how is selling.
All numbers we know show this game is selling badly, in the US and in Japan.
And you have no source for say is difference in Europe...

EA Access is here more than a year. For me it's better value than BC, but MS advertises it in FIFA 16 bundle. Didn't boost sales. How you expect that BC will boost sales?

Cause we don't know how MS are going to position it, like I've already said?

I haven't seen a TV ad for FIFA promoting EA Access at the same time. What country are they doing that in?

I'm not saying It'll definitely make a difference but if they put their marketing machine behind it, why are you so adamant that it'll mean nothing as far as mindshare and perhaps give people/families a reason to upgrade this Christmas?

I haven't seen a TV ad for FIFA promoting EA Access at the same time. What country are they doing that in?

I'm not saying It'll definitely make a difference but if they put their marketing machine behind it, why are you so adamant that it'll mean nothing as far as mindshare and perhaps give people/families a reason to upgrade this Christmas?

Because paying more for an optional sub service is not really a selling point, especially for that crowd.

Paying less and getting 2 free games is. That's the message that always works around the holidays.

Conduit

Banned
No, because withouth numbers there is absolutely no way for know how is selling.

Official charts are not a good indicator if some game still selling well? Good. We don't have any official numbers for Batman Arkham Knight, but hey, game is still charting.

Because paying more for an optional sub service is not really a selling point, especially for that crowd.

Paying less and getting 2 free games is. That's the message that always works around the holidays.

Sorry, I was talking about backwards compatibility. He brought up EA Access.

Javin98

Banned
Solid predictions I think this is how the gen ends up as well, but you'll have to throw in NX later on. Also, I think PS4 will cross the 100 million point. It's approaching 35 - 40 million at a somewhat "high" price-point for what people like to spend on video-game consoles. I think Sony's software has a broader appeal than MS's worldwide, and a $300 and $250 PS4 will go places X1 won't even be mentioned. Good example, next year, SFV, UC4, GT7, FF15 are all huge potential sellers for PS4, and all target very different segments of the video game market.
Agreed, it's amazing that the PS4 is selling as well as it is at launch price. A price drop to $299 will be massive for sales and I can see Sony keeping the base model at that price until 2017. And like you said, the big exclusives haven't even hit the PS4 yet. I also think the PS4 will hit 100 million by 2019, but Zhuge has clarified many times that this is not his final predictions as things can be very unpredictable. The Morpheus could be a huge success and boost PS4 sales significantly more than anyone expected. On the other hand, the NX, whatever it is, could be a huge success and potentially eat into the PS4 audience. It's impossible to tell now, really. But next year, things will be more predictable.

Fat4all

Banned
BC is a good feature to tout, but I doubt Microsoft is going to put any real marketing behind it. Expect a bullet on the box, and maybe some press statements and interviews, but I don't see it hitting commercials.

They won't at all. Would you waste one penny of marketing budget on this if you have Halo, Fallout and Tomb Raider around the corner?
Plus, it's damn difficult to communicate positively that it is not playing all the old games, only some. This might cause confusion.

BC is a good feature to tout, but I doubt Microsoft is going to put any real marketing behind it. Expect a bullet on the box, and maybe some press statements and interviews, but I don't see it hitting commercials.

I was just hypothesizing.

They have obviously spent a lot I time and resources on it and its one of the only cards they have against the PS4. When the new UI and BC drop together in November I'd be surprised if MS didn't make a bit of a push with it.

"Greatest games in Xbox history, new user experience and your old games work as well."

I could see a better tagline than that one on a TV spot, maybe?

Haven't read much of this thread but Uncharted vs Halo is not much of a fair fight in NA, it's like putting a 10 year in the ring with Tyson at his peak. The better question would be can Uncharted 4 lifetime sell as much as Halo 4 first week in NA? I'm thinking nope, fuck no.

Fat4all

Banned

They have obviously spent a lot I time and resources on it and its one of the only cards they have against the PS4. When the new UI and BC drop together in November I'd be surprised if MS didn't make a bit of a push with it.

"Greatest games in Xbox history, new user experience and your old games work as well."

No. The 30 seconds they spend on that commercial is much better put to use on Halo 5 one hundred fold, and they know that.

Taurus

I can't see any of the games you mentioned to expand the audience. All of them are games that interest core gamers who probably already own a PS4 or Xbox One.

I haven't seen anybody say "I'm gonna buy a console when SFV/UC4/GT7/FF15 hits, because that's the game I've been waiting for".

allan-bh

Official charts are not a good indicator if some game still selling well? Good. We don't have any official numbers for Batman Arkham Knight, but hey, game is still charting.

Charts without numbers can be very misleading, specially during slow season.

There's no data that indicates good sales for Until Dawn in Europe.

Fat4all

Banned
I can't see any of the games you mentioned to expand the audience. All of them are games that interest core gamers who probably already own a PS4 or Xbox One.

I haven't seen anybody say "I'm gonna buy a console when SFV/UC4/GT7/FF15 hits, because that's the game I've been waiting for".

It's silly to say that Street Fighter V, Gran Turismo, Uncharted or Final Fantasy XV won't drive console sales or audience diversity when they 100% will, and it's even sillier to use your own personal experience as a validation of that faulty information.

Conduit

Banned
and it sold over 1 million first month in the US...

On three platforms, yes. Sorry, 2 platforms. PC version is still broken i presume. Launch numbers are well known. How about LTD numbers? There isn't any, but game is still charting. So, game still selling well.

You linked Media Create chart from 2 weeks ago.

Fat4all

Banned
Why not both?

Did they advertise the NXE when it dropped on the 360, I can't remember?

They did articles/interviews and updated their splash art for the end of commercials with the launch NXE, but never directly advertised the update itself. The reason they don't do both commercials is because a potential seen commercial has much more value to Microsoft if its a Halo 5 commercial. BC is not worth a commercial to them. BC is something on the box, so when parents ask a cashier or GameStop employee about the Xbox One it can be mentioned. Maybe early Microsoft would've advertised BC, back when they were focusing on the 'Snap' function, DVR connectivity and NFL, but not the Microsoft of today. They got burned early and hard.

Conduit

Banned

I had launch PS3 60GB model which had BC. I barely used BC in my 7 years of gaming on PS3. So, i don't see that somebody will buy Xbone because BC.

GamerJM

Banned
I'd be surprised if Until Dawn didn't have legs in comparison to its debut sales. It came out at the end of August to very little fanfare and has received fairly positive word of mouth since.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
On three platforms, yes. Sorry, 2 platforms. PC version is still broken i presume. Launch numbers are well known. How about LTD numbers? There isn't any, but game is still charting. So, game still selling well.

You linked Media Create chart from 2 weeks ago.

I linked the first week of sales for Until Dawn, and if you see the last Media Create, Until Dawn is dropped by a huge 80%...

Until Dawn is charting in Japan, but it sold 2,000 the last week...

About lifetime sales, i don't say the game will sell bad and will not legs, but FOR NOW, Until Dawn is not selling well...

They did articles/interviews and updated their splash art for the end of commercials with the launch NXE, but never directly advertised the update itself. The reason they don't do both commercials is because a potential seen commercial has much more value to Microsoft if its a Halo 5 commercial. BC is not worth a commercial to them. BC is something on the box, so when parents ask a cashier or GameStop employee about the Xbox One it can be mentioned. Maybe early Microsoft would've advertised BC, back when they were focusing on the 'Snap' function, DVR connectivity and NFL, but not the Microsoft of today. They got burned early and hard.

That makes sense I suppose. Apart from price then, I struggle to see how MS position themselves this Christmas.

Going to be interesting to see both of them going at it anyway. It's usually us gamers that are the winners when they do :)

I had launch PS3 60GB model which had BC. I barely used BC in my 7 years of gaming on PS3. So, i don't see that somebody will buy Xbone because BC.

I'm just thinking of all these bloody remasters, it's a good way to position themselves that you don't need to buy them again. We'll see sooner rather than later I suppose.

Conduit

Banned
I linked the first week of sales for Until Dawn, and if you see the last Media Create, Until Dawn is dropped by a huge 80%...

Until Dawn is charting in Japan, but it sold 2,000 the last week...

About lifetime sales, i don't say the game will sell bad and will not legs, but FOR NOW, Until Dawn is not selling well...

PAL region is a biiig region. So, if some game is high on charts for longer period of time ( let's say 1 month ) i presume that game is selling well, even if you don't have numbers!. You must take the note that UD is undershipped and game is still charting.

Fat4all

Banned
That makes sense I suppose. Apart from price then, I struggle to see how MS position themselves this Christmas.

Going to be interesting to see both of them going at it anyway. It's usually us gamers that are the winners when they do :)

They go hot and heavy with what they got, and they got Halo, Tomb Raider and Fable. Push the games & push them hard. Not only that, but they get to bring the recently released Forza, Gears Remaster and Rare Replay into the fold with bundles and deals.

It's gonna be game talk 24/7, all November and December. Expect them to talk Fallout 4 a bit too, as they appear to have a marketing deal with Bethesda.

3rdbass

Banned

Bombed by Triple AAA game standards maybe but I don't think Until Dawn had that kind of budget or expectations. I'm thinking Sony was thinking small sales to a niche audience. That it has a cult following now and is sold out in most stores could be more of an indication that they just didn't ship a lot of copies as they were surprised it sold better than they thought.

Sony had no advertising for this game or Tearaway which is just bad marketing by Sony. They are leaving a lot of these games out to die. Though at least in Until Dawn's case it has caught on with the Youtubers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PAL region is a biiig region. So, if some game is high on charts for longer period of time ( let's say 1 month ) i presume that game is selling well, even if you don't have numbers!. You must take the note that UD is undershipped and game is still charting.

You talk about one month, but we have seen only two weeks of sales for Until Dawn... we will see after one month if is still charting...

PS4 at 36M+ at end of 2015?
And your not seeing any "tail off" in demand for PS4?

I predict 35.5 million.
Q3 = 3,000,000
Q4 = 7,200,000

...36 million is possible though

Damn, Rare replay bombed.

Not sure if Rare can pull off a success with Sea of Pirates, could be Sunset all over again.
I don't think MS had huge expectations on RR. It's purely fan service compilation for those who grew with those games and for new retro lovers. And I'm pretty sure it was quite cheap to make.

I don't think MS had huge expectations on RR. It's purely fan service compilation for those who grew with those games and for new retro lovers. And I'm pretty sure it was quite cheap to make.

If they were relying on it to gauge a very vocal fanbase's desire to put their money were their mouths are, and then use that to decide whether to fund big new Rare projects, then it is hardly a resounding endorsement.

Cheap or not, it has put a marker down to help MS make the decision whether or not to fund new Rare material.

watdaeff4

If they were relying on it to gauge a very vocal fanbase's desire to put their money were their mouths are, and then use that to decide whether to fund big new Rare projects, then it is hardly a resounding endorsement.

Cheap or not, it has put a marker down to help MS make the decision whether or not to fund new Rare material.

We don't know what the digital sales were though

Top Bottom