• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2015 [PS4 #1 HW/SW, 7M Amiibos LTD, 600K LTD Splatoon]

ZhugeEX

Banned
That awkward moment when the PS3 was selling better in 2008 (YTD) than the PS4 has been in 2015 (YTD)

(To be fair they're pretty much the same. Just like XB1/360 for 2015/2007)

I'm not entirely surprised by what made it in the top ten, but rather some of the positions in the list.

As always without sales figures it's easy to start making assumptions, but good show all around.

really thought x1 had august in the bag - saw a shit ton of madden/x1 advertising throughout the month on tv, the free TV deal at BB and 2 exclusives designed to get 360 diehards to make the leap.

Yeah, yeah.

We'll see how well PS4 does during November/December. There's no need to pop the champagne, because Microsoft is going to be drinking it.

Balee Dat.

Well tbh, it can go either way. I mean unlike last year where MS was going all out, it's pretty difficult to declare an outright winner this time. It'll be super close.

Ōkami

Both the PS4 and Xbox One have sold more on the year so far than what WiiU sold on 2014 as a whole.

Xbox One should double WiiU's LTD withing the next 2 months, PS4 already did that some time ago.

Hoje0308

Banned
Yeah, yeah.

We'll see how well PS4 does during November/December. There's no need to pop the champagne, because Microsoft is going to be drinking it.

Balee Dat.

Aint nobody got time for the preseason.

revis.gif

That awkward moment when the PS3 was selling better in 2008 (YTD) than the PS4 has been in 2015 (YTD)

PS3 had horrible holidays during 2008 though. Holiday months are going to put PS4 a lot ahead in yearly sales.

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah, yeah.

Balee Dat.
I don't know, Sony got that Star Wars and Call of Duty marketing... I think they're taking it, no matter how low Microsoft goes.

Trogdor1123

Yeah, yeah.

Balee Dat.

At a huge loss and then to see all the momentum dry up immediately and any gains disappear over the year? Where have I seen that before... it must have just happened recently...

Gurish

Yeah, yeah.

Balee Dat.

Well they sold better last year as well during the holiday season but still, PS4 again sold better for the rest of this year and the gap grew wider so, what I'm saying is that winning only 2 months each year is not really enough, it's not like PS4 is going to sell 0 units during those months, it's going to sell great, but maybe not as good as MS, it's really not enough if MS wants to close the gap significantly.

Sony will take September easily, Microsoft will win October - because if they can't win a Halo month they should probably close the division, November and December are open as it stands because we don't know what pricing moves either side will make.

MS need $299 although at this point I don't think they are going to do it

Sterok

define "anything", because 3DS is clearly going to continue to be down YoY from here on out

If 3DS is sub-80K for September (where it gets Animal Crossing) then I think it'll be official that things are dire for the market. If there's a noticeable bump (I have no idea what that would be, let's say 120K), then it probably indicates handhelds can do fine if there's a steady stream of software that the masses will like. Granted I don't know if HHD can do well in the west even with the AC brand, but it's still the 3DS's biggest game this year since Xenoblade.

Obviously it'll be down YoY without Smash and Pokemon (unless Yokai does miracle work), but there's a difference between being down and just tanking.

Pezus

It does kind of seem like Sony have gifted Microsoft this years holiday season, but I imagine FallOut 4 will sell well across all platforms and PS4 bundles will drive hardware. Maybe theres a cat to come out of the bag at Paris Games Show. Price cut maybe?

How are Blops 3, Battlefront and other exclusive deals+bundles gifts to MS?
CoD and BF especially will be immense. Don't forget about that special Star Wars PS4

Ryng_tolu

Banned

for be correct, the PS3 sold better than PS4 so far in the second year. ( as for July )
After 8 months PS3 sold 2,018,000 in 2008, PS4 need to sell 234,000 this month for beat it. Seem possible but i don't think so.

I believe PS4 will pass PS3 2008 YTD numbers in September.

BokehKing

Banned
It does kind of seem like Sony have gifted Microsoft this years holiday season, but I imagine FallOut 4 will sell well across all platforms and PS4 bundles will drive hardware. Maybe theres a cat to come out of the bag at Paris Games Show. Price cut maybe?
If anything Sony has it set up where Microsoft will have to slash prices to win again.

What's the usual sales of a game that charts in the NPD? 200k? 100k?

Like 10th = 100k average while 1st = 500k average or something g like that.

Anyone know?

Hoje0308

Banned

Only in an imaginary kingdom where exclusives are the main driver has Sony gifted MS anything. COD and Star Wars will both be huge and that Battlefront PS4 releasing ahead of a new movie should be popular.

Amiibos are quite literally keeping Nintendo afloat right now.

You're one of those people that doesn't use that word properly, aren't you?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Only in an imaginary kingdom where exclusives are the main driver has Sony gifted MS anything. COD and Star Wars will both be huge and that Battlefront PS4 releasing ahead of a new movie should be popular.

Can you imagine the impact a PS4 bundle advert would have at every showing of the movie.

Top Bottom