• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2017 [Up: Video From NPD]

GTA 5 Online added a lot in the last year:
- a sort of PUBG x Twisted Metal clone Battle Royale mode
- new smuggling business (and hangars)
- new gunrunning business (and bunkers)
- new CEO import/export business (and warehouses)
- biker businesses (and biker gangs, biker club houses, and illegal business properties)

And now it is heavily speculated there will be another set of content that is water based potentially letting people buy the aircraft carrier.

noshten

So Splatoon on the Wii U had the 5th spot in it's second month and Splatoon 2 on the Switch does better. Wonder what type of drop we are talking about, if Walmart bundles are counted it should be pretty high in next months NPD results as well.

As someone not really into it, I did forget Madden. It's easily should claim the top slot.

Splatoon had pretty good legs on the Wii U but it's definitely a tough ask, I think it might push either Mario + Rabbids or Crash out of the top 5 because Mario + Rabbids only has a few days tracked, while Crash has a lower price and will be in it's third month on the market.

Yeah Lost Legacy has a lower price as well, but with the success of Uncharted on the PS4 it's not out of the question.

Unless we see a much bigger shipment for the Switch in August I don't see Zelda being top 5 next month.

In terms of the top 5 - pretty expected result.
Uncharted Lost Legacy being so high up despite it's lower price, because of how big Uncharted is was something I expected.
Madden is a game I overlooked originally but it's still huge in NA and probably easily took first spot.
GTAV is eternal while Splatoon 2 second month ensured it remained in the top 5.
Zelda barely making the top 5 probably due to a larger shipment and Mario + Rabbids not being tracked this month.

Bluth54

Well I don't expect Arms 2 this gen. But certainly on whatever comes after the Switch.

Yeah unless the game is called Mario Party it's best not to expect a direct Nintendo sequel on the same system.

I bet we'll eventually see Arms 2 on Switch 2 (and maybe an Arms character in Smash depending on how far that's in development).

Nintendo is one of those few companies that even a games series that doesn't sell super well (not saying Arms is one of them) could potentially come back in the future. I would never really consider any Nintendo franchise to be "dead".

Great to see UC: TLL chart at 3.
ND did great work along with the new directors to turn this game out in about 12 months.

Lol, how is Mass Effect Andromeda still up there in the top 10 games of 2017?

I guess there's still hope for a next Mass Effect game after all.

I'm almost certain ME:A has had insane permanent price drops globally though.
It retails for <£30 in stores in UK and is now £35 for good even on the massively over priced PSN.

You don't do that for a major AAA title like 4 months after launch.
Mass Effect is in a coffin for a long while.

Putty

Although i'm not a Ninty fan, it's clear when they do well there's a general good feeling around. 3 large companies all fighting it out, add in the PC side of things and it's not a bad time to be a gamer....

Why is the OP dated 5th June?

Has anyone noticed how prophetic Nirolak is? He knew this back in May?
Edit PSWii did...

Nirolak made the thread in June, hide it, then edit it and publish it today.

OléGunner;249011620 said:
I'm almost certain ME:A has had insane permanent price drops globally though.
It retails for <£30 in stores in UK and is now £35 for good even on the massively over priced PSN.

You don't do that for a major AAA title like 4 months after launch.
Mass Effect is in a coffin for a long while.

I see. But I guess it's better than being in the top 50 at $60.

13ruce

Banned
Zelda is doing ridiculously well, 3rd 10m+ lifetime Zelda game for sure (the others are OoT and TP ofcourse with all released versions combined)

Splatoon also doing pretty well is good that series deserves to stay big like it did on Wii U heck i hope it even grows alot wich i am sure it will thanks to Switch doing so well and the widespread appeal of it like other major Nintendo games.

But really going from Skyward Sword selling near 4m worldwide to BotW outselling that in like half a year is insane, Zelda really is back to form.

And damn GTA V is a monster lol. It's the Minecraft/wii sports of this generation.

And finally nice to see the Switch doing crazy well in the USA, it has been a log ass while but Nintendo finally got serious again in their output, marketing etc. Compare the Wii U commercials to the Switch ones and you will see why i mention it lol. I remember that even i was in the Nintendoomed camp after Wii U. Switch luckily proved me very wrong.

I see. But I guess it's better than being in the top 50 at $60.

Sure I guess that's one way to put it....Don't think that's an excuse that would jive with EA Executives though.

is it really? it got beat by a 5 year old game. I know its a monster, but how much can it really be doing, for a spinoff of the highly bought UC4? I doubt GTA5 is selling more then a 110k

Personally I think it's a good enough result.
GTA is a legitimate once in a blue moon behemoth (continually topping UK weekly charts as well since 2013).

UC: TLL on one platform as a side story against a discounted GTA V on two makes this still aight in my book.

statham

how so? and to add on it it is successful, how much is GTAV moving every month?

can the leakers give us some info on GTAV sales?

Welfare

Weird that hardware is down YoY even though the Switch replaced the dead Wii U.
Xbox One S launched last year, and Xbox One is like over 50% down YoY this month (selling closer to 100K in slow months like August).

Note that I don't have Xbox One numbers for the month, but easy guess is that it is down by a significant margin like >50%

Apt101

GTAV performance doesn't surprise me that much. People buy an applicable new console, they tend to shortly thereafter get the latest GTA release. Seems like it has been that way since III. V just has more lasting appeal than the previous titles, especially for the online component.

watdaeff4

how so? and to add on it it is successful, how much is GTAV moving every month?

can the leakers give us some info on GTAV sales?

I mean, you're trolling and I understand why, but don't just focus on GTAV coming in ahead of TLL. GTAV is a different beast compared to all other games.

Excluding it, TLL finished just behind Madden, which is a very popular American franchise. This all the while being only $40 and not having the Season Pass holders included in this. It did very well.

People really want Arms to bomb. Almost as much as horizon

Yeah if there's ever been two games that have had a considerable amount of people willing to hope and bat against their success it's those 2. Horizon I can sort of understand, it was pitted against Zelda and lost and there were some pathetic people who seemed to be very interested in that 'battle,' but ARMS? ARMS? Why are there so many people pushing an 'ARMS is doomed' narrative, even going so far as lying to do so? I thought one of the main criticisms of Nintendo as a whole was their unwillingness to put new IP in the spotlight, yet there's a tangible hint of delight behind a lot of users wondering if we'll ever see an ARMS 2.

Well as people have pointed out it has done well enough to be compared to other new IP that Nintendo did seem successful enough to develop a sequel of. Guess that is a bad thing then?

Are they all Mario Kart fans and wanted a brand spanking new Mario Kart on the Switch? That's the only reason I can think of...

Celine

Xbox underperforming and I believe 3DS is selling (a lot?) worse than last year too.
New 2DS XL was released July 28th so most of the new revision launch sales should have been recorded in August NPD (July 30 - August 26).

Guymelef

Weird that hardware is down YoY even though the Switch replaced the dead Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82MQy917Ios

egnWg5j.png

noshten

Uncharted LL probably has over 400K sales because the chart is revenue based.
Splatoon 2 possibly slightly over 200K since I expect Zelda still maintains an extremely high attach rate and Switch is likely over 200K for August.

My prediction for the Switch probably ended up too high since I expected the Mario+Rabbids launch to count towards August NPD.

Will we get exact sales figures for the SNES mini for next month's NPD? Or will we have to hope for Nintendo to give PR? Will it be ranked separately or with the other consoles?

I can't remember what the situation was with the NES.

Top Bottom