• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Nightstick11 said:
that is brought up every generation, but the more things change, the more things stay the same. The only real game-changing factor at play here is the $600 price-tag.

That's not the only game changing factor - you're forgetting about little game made by Rockstar that has sold ~20M units being available day one on the 360.

And that's not even MS's biggest bullet in the chamber.

As someone else said earlier, come next holiday season consumers wil be able to buy Madden 2008, GTA IV, and Halo 3 all on one system - one system that *could* be $300 cheaper than the competition.

Tieno

soul creator said:
I would imagine that Oblivion would be on the list.
According to vgcharts, Oblivion shipped 1.64million WW.
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=Oblivion&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

VGcharts, above 1million shipped

Gears of War X360 Microsoft
Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 Ubisoft
Elder Scrolls III: Oblivion X360 Take 2
Madden NFL 07 X360 EA
Fight Night Round 3 X360 EA
Need for Speed: Most Wanted X360 EA
Perfect Dark Zero X360 Microsoft
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=X360&publisher=&sort=Total

Michael Patcher said:
Wedbush Morgan Securities has told GamesIndustry.biz that there are discrepancies between NPD's latest US sales data and the figures released by some retailers and publishers - including Nintendo.

"The numbers were surprising to me. I truly expected higher sell-through, and there are a few things about the figures that raise questions," said analyst Michael Pachter.

"There was a discrepancy between the number of Wii units claimed to have been shipped by Nintendo to North America - approximately 2 million - and the cumulative sell-through measured by NPD - approximately 1.1 million.

"This difference alone is almost impossible to reconcile,"
he added.

In fact it is strange. I think that patcher is not right with his statement, but I'm sure that NPD has done some mistake too. The difference is too big.

Nameless

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In fact it is strange. I think that patcher is not right with his statement, but I'm sure that NPD has done some mistake too. The difference is too big.

MS's shipments don't coincide with sales: "OMG NOOOZZZ1111 MS ARE TEH LIARS111" or "Most 360s are just sitting on store shelves, anyway" :lol :lol :lol ... But when the exact same happens with Nintendo, then "there clearly must be some mistake".

Only on GAF.

Link316

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

there's a very simple explanation, Nintendo just didn't meet their shipments

puck1337

dyls said:
533K + 519K = 1.5M?

Maybe the NPD felt bad for under-reporting the Wii numbers.
It's for the entire year, i.e. it includes Twilight Princess Wii for November. Or that's what they wanted to do, but they added it to the wrong list. :lol

GhaleonEB

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Nintendo issued a press release citing these NPD figures. If they were materially off, or Nintendo were to contest them as inaccurate, they would not be agreeing with them in their PR.

Nameless said:
MS's shipments don't coincide with sales: "OMG NOOOZZZ1111 MS ARE TEH LIARS111" or "Most 360s are just sitting on store shelves, anyway" :lol :lol :lol ... But when the exact same happens with Nintendo, then "there clearly must be some mistake".

Only on GAF.
Bingo. The hypocrisy is pretty amazing.

hyp

GhaleonEB said:
Bingo. The hypocrisy is pretty amazing.

and the thread is still only up to page 17. when has a december NPD thread ever been so quiet? "hey GAF, anybody out there??"

jamesb23

dyls, you're right that it's screwed up. You'd think after issuing a correction they'd get it right. They're looking into it now and I'll have to change the damn chart again when they submit the correct data.

Why are Wii sales dissapointing?

What is demand like in European markets?

What is demand like in the Japanese markets?

How much of an affect did the Wiimote strap problems, have on shipping to retailers?

Were straps replaced for evey wiimote in Wii boxes, holding back shipment for a couple weeks?

castle007

Banned
Tieno said:
According to vgcharts, Oblivion shipped 1.64million WW.
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=Oblivion&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

VGcharts, above 1million shipped

Gears of War X360 Microsoft
Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 Ubisoft
Elder Scrolls III: Oblivion X360 Take 2
Madden NFL 07 X360 EA
Fight Night Round 3 X360 EA
Need for Speed: Most Wanted X360 EA
Perfect Dark Zero X360 Microsoft
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=X360&publisher=&sort=Total

VGcharts :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Nintendo issued a press release citing these NPD figures. If they were materially off, or Nintendo were to contest them as inaccurate, they would not be agreeing with them in their PR.

Perrin Kaplan doesn't seem like she agrees with the numbers. Although I have to admit that Perrin Kaplan isn't the best source...

Cheebs

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

Arsenal

hyp said:
and the thread is still only up to page 17. when has a december NPD thread ever been so quiet? "hey GAF, anybody out there??"

NPD threads will be much quieter from now on since they they are banning anyone who actually contributes anything interesting to the discussion. Politics ftl.

Jiggy

Nameless said:

Only on GAF.
More like only on any gaming forum with a decently diverse population. Of course you can find at least one person who takes such a stance regarding Nintendo as well as numerous (usually different) people who take such a stance regarding Microsoft, when there are hundreds to choose from.

Fio

Cheebs said:
Wow that is horrible. DS has a few million sellers in USA this year no? I know both NSMB (2 million) and Brain Age (1.1 million) both sold over a million in 2006.

The weird thing is: except Madden, all 2005 titles.
Awesome games like Syphon Filter, Daxter, GTA: VCS, MGS: PoPS not even reach 300k mark.

Not good news for publishers.

Nameless said:

Only on GAF.

Funny indeed.

But with non-nintendo criticisms of NPD coming in. Sounds like something is gonna happen. M-create should open a US division.

Nameless said:

Only on GAF.

When did MS ever make a press announcement stating NPD undertracked them? Unless you can find such a story I think you're crafting something that didn't happen in order to unjustly portray a portion of GAF's population which is reasonably looking at Kaplan's statements as biased.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Fio Maravilha said:
Top 5 PSP titles 2006.

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - 593K
That's what you get for charging $50 for VCS, consumers finally spoke with their wallets and decided it wasn't worth it. Now that it's $30 at Target I'll probably pick it up

Not to mention the fact that it was released amidst a flood of other awesome games, not to mention day and date with FFXII

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
jjasper said:
I feel sorry for all million people who bought PDZ, myself inculded.

I, making what I now realize to be the most intelligent decision of my life, waited and downloaded the demo.

jjasper

urk said:
I, making what I now realize to be the most intelligent decision of my life, waited and downloaded the demo.

I was thisclose to waiting in line and getting a 360 at launch for it cause I loved the first one, but opted out at the last minute cause I needed to money. I would have been mad as hell.

Kaeru

Banned
Fio Maravilha said:
The weird thing is: except Madden, all 2005 titles.
Awesome games like Syphon Filter, Daxter, GTA: VCS, MGS: PoPS not even reach 300k mark.

Not good news for publishers.

hint: theyre not Awesome by any means.

Norse

jesus crimany people...if NPD numbers were wrong this month dont you think nintendo, ms, and sony would be shouting all over the net about it? Give it up already.

Matter of fact all 3 have had press releases claiming victory using these same numbers. omg, they must be wrong too! lol pahleez

R-User!

Dear NeoGAF,

Everyone is a winnar today! (Yesterday and today)

Signed by: -The Official December 2006 NPD Thread (Wiiiii)-

ShutEye

Fio Maravilha said:
Top 5 PSP titles 2006.

Low Numbers ...

What are people doing with their PSPs? Do people buy them and lose them and buy them again? I'd love to see some media research into this. I just don't understand what is going on with this device.

ShutEye said:
What are people doing with their PSPs? Do people buy them and lose them and buy them again? I'd love to see some media research into this. I just don't understand what is going on with this device.
I bought mine June (7th?) 2005, the day the single-memory stick homebrew exploit was found. I left it at firmware 1.5 and used it for emulation and other homebrew purposes until recently when I updated to a Dark_Alex firmware so I could use the PS1 emulator too. The only UMDs I have are those that came in the box, though.

Arsenal

ShutEye said:

I think it is used a lot as a media device. Compare it to say an iPod which sells by the zillions in the same price range. Plus it is apparently quite hackable and has game emulators that run on it.

Btw, IMO this is a major reason the device has not seen a price reduction. Sony has to continue to make a profit on the hardware because the software sales are not there.

Top Bottom