• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Newzboyz99 said:
Wasn't MS stating that the 360 would have 10 million by years end??

They have shipped over 10 million WORLDWIDE.

Most of those are in the hands of gamers, but some are in stores, some are in distribution centers, and some are in transit, but they've all been sold from Microsoft to retailers.

urk said:
pachter2.jpg

Humm. We've always trusted NPD but yeah, almost a million unit difference. NPD must have really messed up on some retailers. It's too huge to ignore

gamergirly said:
Humm. We've always trusted NPD but yeah, almost a million unit difference. NPD must have really messed up on some retailers. It's too huge to ignore

Wow. Just...wow. There are a couple of you in this thread who are OBSESSED with the idea that the NPD only screwed up the Wii numbers. However, this group will gladly boast about the DS, GBA, Mario, Yoshi, and Zelda numbers.

Newzboyz99 said:
Well its pretty clear NPD is wrong about Wii numbers.

:lol :lol :lol

Because you did survey all of the retailers in the country and are withholding the TRUE numbers? Has it ever crossed anyone's minds that maybe, JUST MAYBE Nintendo didn't ship as many as they said they did (and still didn't, since it's STILL impossible to find a Wii)?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
mmlemay said:

Because you did survey all of the retailers in the country and are withholding the TRUE numbers? Has it ever crossed anyone's minds that maybe, JUST MAYBE Nintendo didn't ship as many as they said they did (and still didn't, since it's STILL impossible to find a Wii)?
Or the boats are really slow. :lol

Odysseus

Banned
mmlemay said:

and nintendo didn't even claim to ship 4 million, which is what all these idiot analysts are clinging to

their press release apparently admitted to getting all four million made, but other issues prevented them all from getting to retailers

GhaleonEB

Newzboyz99 said:
Well its pretty clear NPD is wrong about Wii numbers.
But they got all the others, including the software, correct. Right? It's only the Wii that got shafted?

Their own press release touting the success of their products over the holidays agreed with every number NPD put out. But they got the Wii all wrong. :p

GhaleonEB said:
But they got all the others, including the software, correct. Right? It's only the Wii that got shafted?

Their own press release touting the success of their products over the holidays agreed with every number NPD put out, including the Wii hardware.

IT'S A LOGICAL LEAP DON'T YOU THINK

DJ Sl4m

mmlemay said:

Dude, why worry about it ?

He only likes Nintendo and his post history proves it. Like stated by another respectable poster here, Wii is the only console not demonstrated at Walmart fully with controls.

If anything, at Walmart it's the one with the least sales because of such.
If I were a Nfan, that would be the last thing I would bring up.

;p

If Nintendo said that they shipped 10 million units, their fans would believe it and it would be perceived as reality. It really shows how devoted their fanbase is.

Sony are saying the NPD numbers do not count for hundreds of thousands as well, due to the last week not being counted and items in transit. That may well be, but assuming we'd of had that week and assuming we'd accounted for competitors products in transit, Microsoft and Nintendo would have had higher numbers too. Rendering the difference pretty similar at the end of the day..

And I agree. Nintendo mustn't have shipped as much as they said they have. That or they're having mad distribution issues. I think Sony probably undershipped too. I'm wondering if the strap recall had any effect. Do new Wii systems come with the new strap?

Striek

ShutEye said:
What are people doing with their PSPs? Do people buy them and lose them and buy them again? I'd love to see some media research into this. I just don't understand what is going on with this device.
People are buying lots and lots of games as far as I can tell. The 100k sellers this month corroborate that. Again, stop thinking about it in terms of huge sellers and more in terms of the (more important) tie ratio.

Christopher

Striek said:
People are buying lots and lots of games as far as I can tell. The 100k sellers this month corroborate that. Again, stop thinking about it in terms of huge sellers and more in terms of the (more important) tie ratio.

Also there are roughly about 1,000,000 new PSP owners in December, I expect SOME kind of boost in software, I mean not EVERYONE knows how to pirate it ;p

:lol Oh shit at this thread though <3 Nameless.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
DJ Sl4m said:
Dude, why worry about it ?

He only likes Nintendo and his post history proves it. Like stated by another respectable poster here, Wii is the only console not demonstrated at Walmart fully with controls.

If anything, at Walmart it's the one with the least sales because of such.
If I were a Nfan, that would be the last thing I would bring up.

;p

Acutally, the demo argument is really pointless and wrong because if wal mart got a wii, it'd be sold. At the moment, the demos have no effect on sales.

I really doubt the wal-mart calculations that NPD does is any more wrong than any other month. So why question?

As has been said, (and this isn't directed at the poster of the quote above) don't you think if Any of the numbers were dramatically wrong, the company victimized would be screaming from the rooftops?

Christopher said:
Also there are roughly about 1,000,000 new PSP owners in December, I expect SOME kind of boost in software, I mean not EVERYONE knows how to pirate it ;p

Oh shit at this thread though <3 Nameless.

But lots of people know how to rip dvds, and it's a lot easier than I used to think to convert videos for the PSP. That's become about 70% of the use of mine. The rest is with VP:L. I wish somebody'd produce a really good avi decoder for it though. Be even easier.

I'm still baffled at why this is bad news for Nintendo. They have lots of momentum, lots of sales, and have the two highest selling video game systems right now. This isn't even damage control, as I really don't know what people are getting worked up over. Considering NPD is a conservative estimate that doesn't include Wal-Mart or some local retailers, it's certainly possible that Nintendo has sold roughly 2 million Wiis in North America so far, which would make their 4 million world wide projection about right.

jko

wait wait wait wait, so Wii selling better than the PS3 while the demand is still HIGH and hard to find at stores is ...... BAD for Nintendo!?!? while PS3 is readily available everywhere and selling less than the Wii is good news.

hmmm...perhaps the expectations for Sony is alot lower these days. me thinks this be good news for Nintendo either way. why the trolling??

Striek

All those analysts earlier I do believe raised Wii expectations through the roof. Also Nintendo's projected shipments probably didn't help. Thats why even Pachter is left wondering...

Its not doom and gloom, more of a 'huh, whats happened here' vibe I get from the thread.

PS3 became widely available, ironically enough, the day after NPD closed with a massive shipment to Best Buy. Jan. NPD will be interesting.

Christopher said:
;)
Just sayin' though. The last figures GAF got were from Sept. NPD, and since then if the PSP halved its tie ratio in the last months and the DS increased its by 50%...the difference in LTD U.S tie ratio would only be .7 as of the end of 2006. Zero point seven more games per system sold.

Even if that almost impossible scenario occured, its hardly the difference between 'wow look at those software sales' for DS and 'complete software failure' for PSP.

The people screaming themselves hoarse about the possibility of mistaken Wii sales (and only Wii sales) are teetering on the fine line between absolutely hilarious and mindnumbingly annoying.

Prine

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The people screaming themselves hoarse about the possibility of mistaken Wii sales (and only Wii sales) are teetering on the fine line between absolutely hilarious and mindnumbingly annoying.

Pretty much. Everytime Nintendo underperform, a stupid excuse is used to make the situation look like Nintendo are being screwed. First walmart, now NPD themselves

You guys are hopeless

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
Their own press release touting the success of their products over the holidays agreed with every number NPD put out. But they got the Wii all wrong. :p

Wow. That's pretty strange.

ethelred

Striek said:

How is tie ratio more important? A publisher doesn't care how much their game is selling in comparison the the sellthrough rate of the console -- the publisher only cares how much the game's selling.

And no, people aren't buying lots and lots of games.

jko said:
wait wait wait wait, so Wii selling better than the PS3 while the demand is still HIGH and hard to find at stores is ...... BAD for Nintendo!?!? while PS3 is readily available everywhere and selling less than the Wii is good news.

hmmm...perhaps the expectations for Sony is alot lower these days. me thinks this be good news for Nintendo either way. why the trolling??

Heh, guess joking about freeing bunkum gets you a 1-day ban. I was so lost during my 24 hour sabbattical. :(

Anyways, the doom and gloom posts about Nintendo are all relative. If you were to tell someone a few years ago, even 3 months ago, that Nintendo was going to be supply strained and outselling the PS3 in NA and WW, that would be a HUGE win for Nintendo.

However, recent reports suggested that the Nintendo was meeting/exceeding their expectations and everyone thought the Wii would easily clear a million sold in December.

Also, it is believed by some (myself included) that much of the Wii's demand was holiday driven. THere was a huge word of mouth and lots of positive press, but the Wii feels more like a hot holiday phenomena like Elmo. Of course that's not how it is to gamers, but to the crowd Nintendo is going for it certainly could be the case. And now, since many of these ppl weren't able to find a Wii, they've moved on to something else or may just not care anymore. Hopefully not everyone, but I guarantee that there some that would've bought a Wii that no longer will.

Anywho, Nintendo's been on quite the streak over the last 2 years. I really hope they can pull off something special and long-term with the Wii. But, they gotta fix this supply problem fast, cus the 360 juggernaut is really vying for #1 this generation.

Link

The Autumn Wind
FirstInHell said:
If Nintendo said that they shipped 10 million units, their fans would believe it and it would be perceived as reality. It really shows how devoted their fanbase is.
Yeah, Sony and MS fans are nothing like that.

ratcliffja said:
I'm still baffled at why this is bad news for Nintendo. They have lots of momentum, lots of sales, and have the two highest selling video game systems right now. This isn't even damage control, as I really don't know what people are getting worked up over. Considering NPD is a conservative estimate that doesn't include Wal-Mart or some local retailers, it's certainly possible that Nintendo has sold roughly 2 million Wiis in North America so far, which would make their 4 million world wide projection about right.

Jesus Christ. Does anyone actually read these days? This misconception has been corrected at least a dozen times in this thread. Numbers from Wal-Mart are estimated.

Forgotten Ancient said:
I think they're ranked by $ made. At $4 a game, even a million seller wouldn't place near the top.

They are ranked by units in all of the information that I see, unless you are seeing something different.

mmlemay said:
They are ranked by units in all of the information that I see, unless you are seeing something different.

Hmm, you're right. In the past I thought they were ranked by $, which is why I didn't expect to see Sneak King on here. :lol

Burger King is the new Walmart ;)

Well, if you are going to have a problem in this business, there are far worse ones than having so much demand that your product is sold out everywhere.

Nintendo still sold about as many Wiis in North America as the GameCube's launch, but also managed to launch in Japan and Europe where the system is arguably just as popular if not moreso. They built a lot of mindshare and good word of mouth.

The tie ratio for the system is also very, very impressive (3:1 in NA on top of Wii Sports). Do they have work to do in 2007? Of course. But factoring in also that the DS is the no.1 platform in the world on top of the Wii, and franchises like Zelda and Super Mario Bros. are once again top sellers in North America ... these are heady times for the company for sure.

1.5 million copies of Zelda in just about six weeks on market, despite extreme shortages for the Wii is fantastic.

soundwave05 said:
Well, if you are going to have a problem in this business, there are far worse ones than having so much demand that your product is sold out everywhere.

Nintendo still sold about as many Wiis in North America as the GameCube's launch, but also managed to launch in Japan and Europe where the system is arguably just as popular if not moreso. They built a lot of mindshare and good word of mouth.

The tie ratio for the system is also very, very impressive (3:1 in NA on top of Wii Sports). Do they have work to do in 2007? Of course. But factoring in also that the DS is the no.1 platform in the world on top of the Wii, and franchises like Zelda and Super Mario Bros. are once again top sellers in North America ... these are heady times for the company for sure.

1.5 million copies of Zelda in just about six weeks on market, despite extreme shortages for the Wii is fantastic.

Yeah, something tells me the sales of Zelda will convince Nintendo to stick to its current artstyle. Celda only on DS. :*(

AniHawk

Scalemail Ted said:
Yeah, something tells me the sales of Zelda will convince Nintendo to stick to its current artstyle. Celda only on DS. :*(

"Celda" on DS with cel-shaded TP art on Wii would be perfect for me. If not, I love having both anyway.

They should use the Wind Waker engine for Kid Icarus if they are doing that for consoles.

They can't really make Zelda too cartoony, because of all the pre-existing "rules" the franchise has ... but with someting like Kid Icarus, that hasn't been updated since the 2D era, they could really go nuts with the animation and make it a true 3D cartoon.

AniHawk said:
"Celda" on DS with cel-shaded TP art on Wii would be perfect for me. If not, I love having both anyway.

If nothing else id like to see nintendo do a new cel shaded game for the wii. I dont even care which franchise.

Yoboman

jko said:

PS3 isn't as readily available as you would believe from internet hearsay. Besides, all those reports of PS3s being everywhere only popped up in the New Year

So now Wii is tracking behind GC...nice job NOA!

WORST AMERICAN NINTENDO LAUNCH SINCE TEH NES!!!
...and there was so much potential!

NOA IS GIVING NEXT-GEN TO MICROSOFT!
...stupid WW launch! if NCL had launched PAL in March (XB360 isn't a threat there) there wouldn't have been these shortages (sorry Euro. Nintendo fans)!!

They're repeating the same mistakes of the Gamecube!

(...and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.)

Square2005 said:
So now Wii is tracking behind GC...nice job NOA!

WORST AMERICAN NINTENDO LAUNCH SINCE TEH NES!!!
...and there was so much potential!

NOA IS GIVING NEXT-GEN TO MICROSOFT!
...stupid WW launch! if NCL had launched PAL in March (XB360 isn't a threat there) there wouldn't have been these shortages (sorry Euro. Nintendo fans)!!

They're repeating the same mistakes of the Gamecube!

(...and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.)

Wow, over dramatic a bit, eh? WW launches are tough. They pulled it off fine.

Striek

ethelred said:
How is tie ratio more important? A publisher doesn't care how much their game is selling in comparison the the sellthrough rate of the console -- the publisher only cares how much the game's selling.
No one is discussing publishers opinions in this thread. Faults with the platform are being explored. And the tie-ratio is important in establishing where the problem lies (PSP - hardware) with a platform. Also it absolutely shatters the 'PSP owners don't buy games myth'.

Publishers of PSP games aren't likely to care that their titles aren't all million sellers blitzing the top 40, you know, contrary to this thread.

ethelred said:
And no, people aren't buying lots and lots of games.
As much or more than the DS, though. Hmm.

i know its pointless to ask for numbers but has the Wii software been mentioned on any gaming site? I mean it was reported to have around 3:1 software to hardware right, which would put software for Dec at around 1.8 Mil. Take out Zelda and thats leaves a million or so. Considering that Wii play is not out yet (in US right) Wario is not there, sports is packed in. Which other games are expected to do well. Is it possible that something like Red Steel did around 300K for Dec, putting it around 400K all up (which would be pretty impresive i think). Other titles of course could of done well such as monkey balls and rayman. Just interesting to see.
Also, anyone declaring any war in Japan, Europe or The US as over is stupid. Did the DS/PSP situation not teach you anything. 360 does have a lead in the US, but its easily conceivable that either of the other two systems could explode in the next year and outsell it easily. quite possible the opposite also.
The next few months will be really interesting. Is there traditionally a spike mid year in the US (Summer holidays?), or is hardware mostly software influenced until the xmas period?

D.Lo

ethelred said:
No. They're not. But if you want to just make up BS information to make yourself feel better, have at it.
Just about to say that myself.

PSP games are selling VERY badly, there's no other way to put it. I can't believe any Sony Fanboy can still be spinning the PSP to be beating the DS in any way at this point...

Scalemail Ted said:
Wow, over dramatic a bit, eh? WW launches are tough. They pulled it off fine.

Not in America!
I'm upset w/ NOA, they made this same mistake w/ the GC (shipment shortages from late December thru the following March) and they could never make up for it! The SNES & N64 launches were near perfect, I know they can do it but apparently not when launching WW...

I'm starting to believe, more and more, the next-gen winner in America will be Micro$oft!!
The company that stole and destroyed the most respected developer in the 90s... RARE Ltd (yes, even more than NCL)! And now there are rumors Micro$oft may do the same to Capcom!?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

ethelred

Striek said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4597986&postcount=27

Oh, really ethelred? Whats changed? I think you have the onus of supplying more up-to-date information or stop spreading bullshit, actually.

It would be phenomenal if the DS not only caught up to the PSP and overpassed it by even a similar (.2) margin.

Believe whatever you want, man. Even back when we were getting full NPD numbers, people were highlighting the downward trend in PSP software sales and the huge upwards trend in DS software sales. And you're highlighting numbers two months old.

Top Bottom