• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Whipped Spartan said:
It got a good foundation in at 360 launch when it sold at something like a 70% attach rate with the system the first few months. COD4 is also that damn good.

How did COD3 sell in comparison to COD4 in its first few months?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
outunderthestars said:
What is the Wii software attach rate (excluding wii play) these days? Are third parties doing any better this time around?

Sega, but apparently only because Sonic has taken Mario hostage, threatened rape, and a youtube posting of said rape.

Zzoram

Whipped Spartan said:
It got a good foundation in at 360 launch when it sold at something like a 70% attach rate with the system the first few months. COD4 is also that damn good.

Ya, Call of Duty 2 was a launch game and the first million seller on Xbox 360. I think Dead Rising, GRAW, and Oblivion (and possible PGR3) in 2006 were the next pre-holiday million sellers.

neojubei said:
Hopefully Sony improves this year.

There is no doubt that they will. Worst possible scenario for the PS3 is an original Xbox type fate. Plenty of 3rd party support with some 3rd party exclusives sprinkled here and there, lots of great 1st party support. I think the ship is slowly being righted but they really need to emphasize software marketing because they can't gain momentum without selling more software.

Zzoram said:
People were questioning the move to modern warfare, but it was really E3 2007 that sold Call of Duty 4 to the masses. That demo they did at the Microsoft press conference was stunning, and probably even outshone Killzone 2's presentation (not graphics, presentation). Call of Duty 4 was the talk of the show, and that hype carried through the end of the year.

This. Also, 360 users seem to pay attention to reviews, and the game scored very, very well across the board. Along with being in the hottest genre this generation, and you have a best seller.

RSTEIN said:
Yes, it is a mommentous occasion.

I get it!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Tmac said:
Year to date, the xbox 360 sold a whopping 80% more than PS3 (us only of course). But if you consider December only, the xbox 360 sold just 58% more. Thats a lot, but not as good that whole year numbers.

Ps3 is actually gaining mommentum.

:lol Yes, the gape isn't growing as fast as it was!

Zzoram

_Alkaline_ said:
How did COD3 sell in comparison to COD4 in its first few months?

CoD3 sold worse than CoD2, although it did come close to or broke 1 million eventually on Xbox 360 I believe.

Odysseus

Banned
Tmac said:
Year to date, the xbox 360 sold a whopping 80% more than PS3 (us only of course). But if you consider December only, the xbox 360 sold just 58% more. Thats a lot, but not as good that whole year numbers.

yes, but the thing to watch is if they can maintain this soundly getting beaten but by less than before streak going into the new year.

clashfan

Tmac said:

Is this sarcasm?

Zzoram

IronicallyTwisted said:
This. Also, 360 users seem to pay attention to reviews, and the game scored very, very well across the board. Along with being in the hottest genre this generation, and you have a best seller.

Ya, Xbox 360 has a very hardcore set of core users that will gobble up anything with a good review, as long as it's art direction appeals to 20something year old males.

crysis.png

BenjaminBirdie said:
This month, like every other month, proves they don't need exclusives like you assume they do. COD4, on 360 alone, was the highest selling title of December 2007.

It nailed the first place spot.

Exactly, 360 doesn't need a huge exclusive title like the PS3. With Microsoft's marketing and hardcore fanbase even new IP's can become million sellers.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
IronicallyTwisted said:
Good thing i'm a 20ish male then ;)
You too? Howsabout we set up a multiplayer game of bald space marines with big guns? I think I would find that to be very appealing.

Grecco

IronicallyTwisted said:

I get it!

This is why Two Worlds and Tenchu charted as well. Reviews had nothing to do with it. The Modern setting and the Beta on the other hand did wonders

Speevy

Banned
The Xbox 360 sold 1.1 million in December 2006. 800K is getting there. All these numbers are in the same ballpark anyway.

WinFonda said:
Sure thing. Explain the reality of Microsoft being the top software publisher in '08 "without publishing a single game."

They're the top software platform. Enormous difference. If I thought it was about publishing, why would I have explicitly stated "Even if they published zero titles"?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Zzoram said:
Ya, Xbox 360 has a very hardcore set of core users that will gobble up anything with a good review, as long as it's art direction appeals to 20something year old males.

Yeah, it's only for people who aren't as discriminating as you. amirite?

Tmac said:

Momentum is now being crushed slightly less than before? To gain momentum you actually have to outsell the competition, the PS3 only is falling further behind.

MWS Natural said:
Exactly, 360 doesn't need a huge exclusive title like the PS3. With Microsoft's marketing and hardcore fanbase even new IP's can become million sellers.
I've notice this. Even Two Worlds sold better its first month on 360 than UT3 on PS3.

RSTEIN said:
You too? Howsabout we set up a multiplayer game of bald space marines with big guns? I think I would find that to be very appealing.

I'll bring the blunts and beers, you bring the naughty, totally heterosexual DVD's.

Grecco said:
This is why Two Worlds and Tenchu charted as well. Reviews had nothing to do with it. The Modern setting and the Beta on the other hand did wonders

Reviews had everything to do with it. And there are exceptions to every rule, its not like Two Worlds sold millions.

urk said:

Thats pretty assuming. You are reaching to break a point no-one has made.

Speevy said:
The Xbox 360 sold 1.1 million in December 2006. 800K is getting there. All these numbers are in the same ballpark anyway.
Speevy you've changed so much lately.

It's like watching my younger brother grow up and become a person I can't stand...

Did I really just say that?

You've been a great crowd!

*bows and walks off stage*

IronicallyTwisted said:
I'll bring the blunts and beers, you bring the naughty, totally heterosexual DVD's.
And I'll bring the Zima's and buttless chaps!

Zzoram

urk said:

No, I just mean that's what seems to sell. Well reviewed fun games like Viva Pinata bombed due to the art direction and even worse, the packaging. There is nothing wrong with well reviewed shooters that appeal to 20something males, I like those games.

Zzoram

Grecco said:

I don't think he means all 360 owners read reviews, just that a larger subset of them do than on other platforms.

Two Worlds did well because it looked like Oblivion, and Tenchu probably did well because it had a ninja on the cover and got impulse purchases. Hopefully a ninja + good reviews will make Ninja Gaiden 2 sell better than Tenchu Z.

Speevy

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Speevy you've changed so much lately.

It's like watching my younger brother grow up and become a person I can't stand...

Did I really just say that?

You've been a great crowd!

*bows and walks off stage*

I'm sorry your juvenile attachment to forum personalities has left you in this state.

I do hope my words conform more to your expectations in the future.

Speevy said:
I'm sorry your juvenile attachment to forum personalities has left you in this state.

I do hope my words conform more to your expectations in the future.
Now see, you've made go and like you again.

Hopefully this time without the stalking.

*lights candles at the Speevy shrine*

Odysseus

Banned
Zzoram said:
Ya, 360 numbers didn't get rounded down enough. 1 million would've been better.

if we're rounding to the nearest million, wii, 360, and ps3 were in a dead heat this month. so, as you can see, ps3 has come all the way back. wii... terrible slump.

Whipped Spartan said:
btw THANK GOD for HALO. Otherwise the number one game this past year would be a wii controller. :(

When you consider multiplatform titles, (which divides the sales among consoles as you'd expect vs exclusive titles),

1) Guitar Hero 3
2) Madden 08
3) Halo 3
4) Wii Play
5) Call of Duty 4

Fredescu

jaaz said:
Claiming the console war is over at this point is kind of like jumping on a Harrier Jet, landing on an aircraft carrier and declaring "Mission Accomplished" when the real war is just beginning...
So the real war is the one between distant second and third?

Speevy

Banned
Norml said:
What about PS2?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

The PS2 is selling amazingly well considering the year. If this were 2003, I'd say the PS2 numbers were less than stellar, though.

jaaz

Fredescu said:
So the real war is the one between distant second and third?

I was referring to the console war between the 360 and the PS3, since the price differential of the Wii makes it an unfair comparison in any event.

TJ Spyke

jaaz said:
Claiming the console war is over at this point is kind of like jumping on a Harrier Jet, landing on an aircraft carrier and declaring "Mission Accomplished" when the real war is just beginning...

The war for second place? Agreed.

Wii outold Xbox 360 11 mounths in 2007, with Xbox 360 only winning in Setember (and even then it just barely beat Wii). The only time PS3 hasn't been in third place in the US was the 2 days between the PS3 launch and the Wii launch. Worldwide the Wii has just been dominating and doesn't look like it will stop increasing its lead over the competition.

Top Bottom