• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

tzare

Nirolak said:
how many employees PD had?

Sticking to that 6 year big budget argument is nonsense. COD is made yearly and sells like hot cakes. TLG has been forever in development and it will be a success if it ever reaches 1 million sales WW.

I am sure one of GT5 mistakes has been its long development time: people got tired, they forgot about it, they tried other options or racing games became less relevant. And as i said before, i am sure many people at Sony where waiting for this to change things at SCEJ/PD and show Kaz he is not a god anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yoboman said:
This year will be interesting, I wonder if Kinect can keep up its popularity. This 2010 Holiday for MS reminds me of the year before for Sony. I wonder what Sony will do this year to turn things around, obviously a price drop is due
I think they would need to drop it by at least $100 to make a notable impact, which I'm not sure they can profitably do.

There's not much more they can do after that as well in terms of price dropping.

Wasn't someone saying that 360 outsold the PS3, 3-1 in December before these numbers were released. I'm sure it was Pach.

The only way 2011 will be the year of the PS3 is if the PS3 gets another price cut.

Gwanatu T

Well that was only slightly unexpected. I actually thought the 360 would pull ahead of the Wii this month, mainly because of the unbelievable success of the Kinect, but apparently not. I'm sure the entry level price difference still accounts for that though. Can't wait to see software numbers!

Stumpokapow said:
One positive comparison between the two games is that Remedy was able to self-fund at least some of the development time with the gigantic fucking sacks of money they got from Max Payne.

PD was on the Sony teet the whole time, but at least they sold 5 million copies of GT5P in the mean time to make sure their balance sheet wasn't red.

So in both cases the no doubt insane development times and costs were mitigated by influxes of money in the mean time. Really, though, the question is whether either team would be able or allowed to repeat the 6 year development time, right?
If they end up being profitable, by ALOT, then why wouldn't they. That ~$60 million budget is for 2 games already at 10M+ copies sold. (even if half of those are from a $40 game), and will continue to sell for sure.

Didn't sony say they sold 5.5 million copies of GT5. That's pretty great. Add in the other 5 for prologue and the fact that GT5 will have legs. They are fine.

zero_suit

The_Technomancer said:
Honestly if they do bungle the 3DS pricing I think we'll continue to see the DS chart long after this. It might have a shot at the PS2 afterall.

Huh? It's already ahead in NA and JP. Plus, I would bet it's even with the PS2 in Europe.

And, the DS STILL hasn't had a major price drop.

Mrbob

marc^o^ said:
Wii sold 20 millions more than PS3.
The opposite had to be true last gen with PS2 and GC. That's the real shocker of this gen.

You know what they say about hind sight but it is obvious now Sony really screwed up regarding their pricing of the PS3. Dug such a huge whole it is tough for the system to climb out. Especially since this gave a huge opening for competitors to take advantage and they both have. Between this and the PSP Go bombing hopefully Sony has learned they cannot overprice their product anymore. PSP2 unveiling is soon we'll see if they have learned any lessons.

Celine

apana said:
So what should I make of the Wii numbers? Think for me GAF.
Fad is over.

Wii declined but still on top, 360 has seen a significant increase this year while PS3 was stable ... in third place.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stumpokapow said:
One positive comparison between the two games is that Remedy was able to self-fund at least some of the development time with the gigantic fucking sacks of money they got from Max Payne.

PD was on the Sony teet the whole time, but at least they sold 5 million copies of GT5P in the mean time to make sure their balance sheet wasn't red.

So in both cases the no doubt insane development times and costs were mitigated by influxes of money in the mean time. Really, though, the question is whether either team would be able or allowed to repeat the 6 year development time, right?
Why not? Remedy is it's own boss and PD has always been SCEJ's baby

lowrider007 said:
Most regular games will not make any near the profits that GT5 will make.
Or have just a part of the full thing out and sell enough to cover costs

Hell, I don't think ANY other game can do that

snap0212

Vinci said:
You can't take some huge title and pretend, after it underperforms, that it wasn't really anything special in the first place - and, thus, its sales are fine.
You're talking about GT5, right? I've searched, but couldn't find the numbers for Europe. I'm not saying they're high (or low), but if we talk about how a game underperformed, bombed, or did not sell as well as it should have, we should do so after we've gotten all the numbers...

DMeisterJ

Banned
tzare said:
how many employees PD had?

Sticking to that 6 year big budget argument is nonsense. COD is made yearly and sells like hot cakes. TLG has been forever in development and it will be a success if it ever reaches 1 million sales WW.

I am sure one of GT5 mistakes has been its long development time: people got tired, they forgot about it, they tried other options or racing games became less relevant. And as i said before, i am sure many people at Sony where waiting for this to change things at SCEJ/PD and show Kaz he is not a god anymore.

Sony has no other title that can sell 5.5 million units in 12 days. I'm pretty sure Kaz is still a God.

tzare

Dabanton said:
I swear this is the second time you've mentioned Alan Wake. AW has no pedigree it's a new IP. GT has history it is a Sony Flagship title. Many people brought their PS3's for Prologue and It was assumed by many for months leading up to it's release that GT5 would waltz into the NPD top 10 but it looks like those assumptions were built on sand.
because some one kept on saying the 6 year development time thing. And one game that took forever and sold average that was alan wake.
that is my point. I am sure despite GT5 will be profitable, it will open some people's eyes and focus on more realistic projects.
Sony has no other title that can sell 5.5 million units in 12 days. I'm pretty sure Kaz is still a God.
not when those 5.5 are expensive and don't help the platform when needed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zero_suit said:
Huh? It's already ahead in NA and JP. Plus, I would bet it's even with the PS2 in Europe.

And, the DS STILL hasn't had a major price drop.
Holy shit, the DS has sold like fifty million WW since I last looked at those numbers.

Yoboman

Nirolak said:
I think they would need to drop it by at least $100 to make a notable impact, which I'm not sure they can profitably do.

There's not much more they can do after that as well in terms of price dropping.
With no price drop last year I think it would be a large drop

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, I reserved my judgment on GT5 until December NPD. We can say that it is definitively a huge flop, that much is for sure. I don't know if it's a bomba yet. We don't know how much it sold this month. For a AAA supposed system sell less than ~800,000 in two months would be a bomba in my opinion. For a mediocre B game that would be pretty good. But come on, this is Gran Turismo.

All of Sony is in very rough shape. Yeesh. You drop your price by $100 and sell less than the previous year? The only bullet they have left to fire is a massive price cut.

DMeisterJ

Banned
tzare said:
not when those 5.5 are expensive and don't help the platform when needed.

I'm pretty sure that Sony is much more concerned (and happy) about the profitability of the game, and not so concerned that it lost a dick-measuring contest of who sold the most consoles this month/year.

RSTEIN said:
All of Sony is in very rough shape. Yeesh. You drop your price by $100 and sell less than the previous year? The only bullet they have left to fire is a massive price cut.

Umm, the price cut was last year. And they've literally barely sold less than last year.

plufim

tzare said:
that is my point. I am sure despite GT5 will be profitable, it will open some people's eyes and focus on more realistic projects.
This. Sony will likely be forcing Polyphony to adhere to realistic budgets and deadlines now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hopefully Epic Mickey gets a sequel that fixes some problems.

Or, even better, a new DuckTales game.

Tiktaalik

Vinci said:
It's amazing they're replacing the DS. Damn thing contines to sell over 2 million every Christmas and it's being replaced. Unreal.

The same thing happened with the GBA. It was really annoying since there were still quite a number of good GBA games coming out in Japan (Rhythm Tengoku, Bit Trip, Mother 3) and it was selling huge in NA but it got phased out.

This time around though it seems like the DS is fading away a bit faster in Japan, at least softwarewise. On the 8-4 podcast they noted that there wasn't a whole lot shown at all for the NDS at Tokyo Game Show. It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo shows off for it at E3 (ie anything?).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Skiesofwondwer 12-14-2010 said:
I gotta imagine Epic Mickey is doing at least pretty well. I know singe retailer information doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but alongside the tons of pre-orders my Gamestop had when I picked up; I have noticed tons of advertising on TV, a BUNCH of Epic Mickey demo kiosks, and tons of Epic Mickey posters everywhere.

Hell, even at my smalltown Wal-Mart Epic Mickey is everywhere! Not only is it the first Third-Party Wii game I have seen to be available to actually play in their demo kiosk, but they also have posters all over the place and a huge stand painted with Epic Mickey artwork (and the list of awards it won at E3). It is smack dab in the middle of the electronics with tons of copies of Epic Mickey (like literally over a hundred, the most I have ever seen for a game at my Wal-Mart) and lots of Wii bundles. Obviously they (or someone who is high up) sees it as a system seller.

I also happened to notice that in the glass window where they keep the games... two games had zero copies left, and one (Epic Mickey) had only one copy left. The two games with zero copies: Just Dance 2 and The Michael Jackson Experience. One title we know sold a butt-load and another that I totally expect to.

Note: One thing I would like to point out, Epic Mickey had TWO rows for it, while Just Dance 2 and MJE had only one.

I KNEW Disney's Epic Mickey and The Michael Jackson The Experience were going to sell well!! :D

soldat7

-Pyromaniac- said:
Didn't sony say they sold 5.5 million copies of GT5. That's pretty great. Add in the other 5 for prologue and the fact that GT5 will have legs. They are fine.

Sold to stores? To customers? How could they sell 5.5 million copies of GT5 since release and not be in the Top 10 for December?

DMeisterJ said:

Most companies expect growth or at the very least static development, having a game sell less than its predecessors, despite costing more to make isn't going to raise Yamauchi's standing especially if it's felt that problems with the game and it development were avoidable with better management.

In future if Yamauchi gets 12-18 months into development then decides he doesn't like it and wants to start all over Sony will probably be more confident about saying 'no, work with what you've got and get the game out the door by this financial quarter'.

poin

plufim said:
This. Sony will likely be forcing Polyphony to adhere to realistic budgets and deadlines now.

I'm sure Sony and PD will learn from their mistakes from GT5. It seems like a software management and communication issue.

GavinGT

Banned
snap0212 said:
You're talking about GT5, right? I've searched, but couldn't find the numbers for Europe. I'm not saying they're high (or low), but if we talk about how a game underperformed, bombed, or did not sell as well as it should have, we should do so after we've gotten all the numbers...

This is an NPD thread, so yes, it bombed.

Also, it doesn't bode well for your franchise when the Prologue makes more of a dent than the actual game. :lol

poin said:
I'm sure Sony and PD will learn from their mistakes from GT5. It seems like a software management and communication issue.

50 premium cars, 950 standard ones. Also, I'm sure Sony will slash Polyphony's microphone budget.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
soldat7 said:
Sold to stores? To customers? How could they sell 5.5 million copies of GT5 since release and not be in the Top 10 for December?

The problem is people are talking about non-NPD data in a NPD thread.

poin said:
Sure looks like it would have been a better idea to release and iterate upon, say, three games, in the same time period, rather than try to make the ultimate game to end all games.

tzare

DMeisterJ said:
I'm pretty sure that Sony is much more concerned (and happy) about the profitability of the game, and not so concerned that it lost a dick-measuring contest of who sold the most consoles this month/year.
yeah, not saying that they are not happy. Just that when Kaz (or PD) pretend to make GT6, as they will, sony will be more restrictive. Because is not about sellling more consoles than MS, it is just about selling them, just that. And Gt series used to help PS brand sales, because they where good games, launched when they could make both objectives possible: profit with the game and sell consoles. GT5 has been out of control (like PS3 was when launched). that is how i see it, it is the last icon of those bad desicions years ago. Even if sales are good, GT has lost part of its former popularity, and that is also beacuse it took forever to be released. And that may be worst, regarding future games, than selling 500k units more or less today. They have allowed Forza to become a rival because they weren't there.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
soldat7 said:

Sold to stores of course. They may not have to ship more out for a year. Or they may have to ship millions more. No way to know.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
RSTEIN said:
The problem is people are talking about non-NPD data in a NPD thread.
Which leads to people saying stupid shit like PD/Sony going through troubles in the future

Hence the other data

Top Bottom