• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

apana

Epic Mickey does badly: "Told you it was gonna do badly. LOL 3rd party Wii game".
Epic Mickey does well: "It's fucking Mickey Mouse, of course kids will buy it".

Wow at Gran Turismo.

FUCKING FUCK at Epic Mickey. Breaking all kinds of gaming stereotypes with it's platforming/non-Nintendo/Wii game self.

legend166

apana said:
At this rate I see DKCR definitely passing sales of Twilight Princess and maybe even Mario Galaxy.

We'll have to wait until Jan-March to see its legs. If it pops up in the top 10 again in January, it will probably pass Twilight Princess. It will take massive legs to beat Galaxy.

So far we know - 1.7 to 1.9 million in the US. 700k in Japan. It charted pretty good in Europe I think, but not amazing. Although I think it's out of the top 40 in the UK due to stock issues now?

I'd say passing 5 million is a very good bet, who knows how far it can go after that. Either way, it's a massive success and another reboot done right by Nintendo.

Kenka

For the new page :

edit :

Tentative single SKU console Top 10 (based on current knowledge)

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii) [OK]
02. CoD (360) [OK but position unsure though high probability of being correct]
03. DKC (Wii) [OK]
04. Epic Mickey (Wii) [OK]
05. COD (PS3) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
07. AssBro (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
08. Kinect Sports (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
09. uDraw (Wii) [appearance OK but position unsure]
10. Dance Central (360) [appearance OK but position unsure though highly likely]

Please don't quote anything else.

Assumptions in this chart above are correct. Don't be tempted to quote anything I've posted before this page. Also, yeah, again, holy shit @ Mickey and Warren Spector.

There are more than a few games I enjoy on the PS3 and am looking forward to quite a few releasing in 2011. Love the PSN releases. Especially love those artsy-fartsy games Sony's keen on publishing.

So, in the interest of all gaming enthusiasts, which kind and motivated MS exec would be willing to take one for the team and head the PlayStation program at Sony? Anyone? ANYONE? Bueller? The only thing I can offer is thanks 'cause lord knows if Sony could pay you. Maybe a few (million) copies of GT5? Don't worry, the 360'll be ok. Think of it as helping your geriatric neighbor cross the street. Better yet, help them find the street.

Do it for Naughty Dog, do it for thatgamecompany, do it for Team Ico, etc., do it for the children.

Please.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Effect said:
A post said there were 9 Wii games in the top 15. Any idea what the other 4 could possibly be? I'm really hoping Goldeneye and Epic Yarn are two of them. I fully expect Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Wii though.

Holy crap.
Gift cards drive software. It is almost like choosing the game u want in your bundle.

legend166

TunaLover said:
It's great that DKC sold so good, but I really don't want Retro trapped in a DKC trilogy for the next 3 years...

Honestly I'm hoping this finally gives Nintendo the impetus to expand Retro so they can make more than one game at a time. One new IP team, one franchise team. Rotate people around the two teams so they don't get frustrated and leave. If I was running Nintendo that's what I would do.

It's going to happen though : (

antipode said:
wow, what did it for Epic Mickey, just positive reviews alone? I didn't see any marketing for that game at all, web or TV.

Disney fans have been waiting on a good character game for a long time that wasn't just a kiddie or edutainment product. This one featured an interesting look, a big(er) budget, and Warren Spector was at the helm. All the Disney blogs had articles about it. Sure, they game may not have turned out very well, but sadly it's the best Disney character game to come along in many years, and there was pent up demand for something decent.

BowieZ

Banned
Wild, wild question:

Is there any way Wii could pull in 10 million in 2011? I know this is ... unlikely :lol ... but stranger things have happened.

Or should I rephrase the question... say the Wii was to defy expectations and pull in 10 million units this year... just exactly what do you think will have done the trick?

Elios83

About hardware:

Nintendo: numbers were like they told people they would, great but considerably down from last year.

Microsoft: great month but huge missed opportunity, if there will be shortages in Jan/Feb too just because of 1.8/1.9m in Dec then they have massively understimated their growth opportunities.

Sony: PS3 was saved for Dec thanks to good promotions but the holyday season has been disappointing for SCEA and GT5 sales in Japan/Usa just hurt.

Opiate

BowieZ said:
Wild, wild question:

Is there any way Wii could pull in 10 million in 2011? I know this is ... unlikely :lol ... but stranger things have happened.

Or should I rephrase the question... say the Wii was to defy expectations and pull in 10 million units this year... just exactly what do you think will have done the trick?

A strong software lineup. Which doesn't exist. Which is why it won't happen.

BowieZ said:
Wild, wild question:

$99 price tag.

BowieZ said:
Wild, wild question:

As of now, they only have Skyward Sword next year. No chance.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Disney fans have been waiting on a good character game for a long time that wasn't just a kiddie or edutainment product. This one featured an interesting look, a big(er) budget, and Warren Spector was at the helm. All the Disney blogs had articles about it. Sure, they game may not have turned out very well, but sadly it's the best Disney character game to come along in many years, and there was pent up demand for something decent.
Um, isn't there a new Kingdom Hearts game out like every year?

apana

Spector is caught in strange position with regards to Epic Mickey. What if Wii 2 releases when he already started working on the sequel for the Wii?

boiled goose

good with gravy
apana said:
Epic Mickey does badly: "Told you it was gonna do badly. LOL 3rd party Wii game". Wii can't sell high budget third party games.
Epic Mickey does well: "It's fucking Mickey Mouse, of course kids will buy it". mediocre reviews means wii owners buy anything

fixed for ya.

It could have honestly gone either way. I am honestly surprised it has sold so much. I thought it would break 1M lifetime WW for sure, but 1M in the US alone in one month is crazy. negative impressions definitely kept me from buying it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
apana said:
Spector is caught in strange position with regards to Epic Mickey. What if Wii 2 releases when he already started working on the sequel for the Wii?

it's been in development for awhile actually

Oneself

Good to see NFS is up there!!:D It totally deserves great(er) sales!!

And I was expecting GT5 to be in there somewhere too... So, as far as I can see, last holiday season was pretty much a disaster for Sony. :|
Hopefully for them, the heavy hitters of 2011 will take them back to the right track.

Effect

_Alkaline_ said:
As of now, they only have Skyward Sword next year. No chance.

As far as we know. Nintendo tends to be quiet about games until they are ready to launch. They could easily have something else. Question is what IP could potentiality be a big seller that they haven't released yet.

DarkPanda

Saint Gregory said:

Yea, but every game after the first one has focused more and more on the original characters and less on the Disney aspect. BBS attempted to fix that somewhat (yay for Cinderella world!), but the main plot itself had very little to do with Disney. Epic Mickey was all Disney, all the time, with an emphasis on stuff that only the fans would get (old cartoons, tons of theme park stuff).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
apana said:
Uh wat? Epic Mickey 2?
It's quite believable.

Games are often content complete six or more months before release, so a lot of the team can move on to the sequel, especially when you're not overly concerned about polish.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Soooooo seeing as how retro reboots are all the rage, can we please get some Metroid and Zelda games in the vein of NSMBW and DKCR?

From Software gave us a Zelda one last year.

Effect said:
As far as we know. Nintendo tens to be quiet about games until they are ready to launch. They could easily have something else.

True, but 10M is a huge effort and nothing short of NSMBW2 would get them there.

BowieZ said:
Wild, wild question:

Wii Relax

BELIEVE

Saint Gregory said:

I guess, but IMO those are Square-type games with Disney characters, not really Disney-based platformers like Ducktales or Castle of Illusion. Based on the indifference of the blogs I visit, it's not what they are looking for, and personally I don't blame them. I'm a huge Disney nut and just could not get into any of the KH games, personally. I think KH appeals mainly to people who are already Square/Japanese game fans.

AniHawk

I just realized there were no Mario-All Stars numbers or placement. Nintendo really shipped a million or less, huh?

legend166

BowieZ said:
Wild, wild question:

Stop obsessing over a flippant PR comment.

You're acting as if Reggie is sitting at his desk with a finger over a big "Wii 2 Release" button ready to press it as soon as he gets the word from NPD the Wii has hit 45 million in the US. It's ridiculous.

MYE said:
Why would Disney fans give a shit about KH?

DarkPanda said:
Yea, but every game after the first one has focused more and more on the original characters and less on the Disney aspect. BBS attempted to fix that somewhat (yay for Cinderella world!), but the main plot itself had very little to do with Disney. Epic Mickey was all Disney, all the time, with an emphasis on stuff that only the fans would get (old cartoons, tons of theme park stuff).
My mistake, I haven't been keeping up with the series since the first couple of games. I still think the success of Epic Mickey has more to with the fact that people were actually aware it existed because of the marketing and less to do with pent up demand for a pure Disney game though.

so my prediction that Dance Central and Kinect Sports would chart was wrong. no, i'm not going to pretend that i was talking about individual SKUs. i was wrong.

my prediction that they'd be million sellers was right. so, not so bad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TunaLover said:
It's great that DKC sold so good, but I really don't want Retro trapped in a DKC trilogy for the next 3 years...

New IP's aren't getting it done right now.

Also, it took a decade for Nintendo to bring it back. I want a trilogy as fast as humanly possible before they shut it down again.

Top Bottom