• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2010 [Up5: Some Kinect/Move Data]

Fredescu

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I thinking a little more LttP and a little less LoZ, plus some old fashioned Nintendo Magic™.
After the handheld games, I would honestly be shocked if Nintendo managed to do an LTTP style Zelda as good as 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I'm guessing those DC/KS numbers are LTD given they don't appear on the charts and tength place is 900K?

Edit: Silly me, the updated thread title explains it.

And yep, GT5 underwhelmed.

FrankT

Retrocide said:

So 960k for Nov-Dec.

Just going by the numbers from last month...possibly 700-800k for DC and KS this month?

They were #11 and #12 on last months chart.

8. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) SONY** - 400K
09. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP,PC) TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
10. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) NINTENDO**

So maybe in that range for the month. Hard to say with no Wii Fit number.

EagleEyes

Jtyettis said:
Earlier this year if I would have said Kinect Sports and Dance Central would outsell GT5 this holiday season I would have been laughed off of GAF. So glad to see those titles do so well.

SteelAttack said:
$99 price tag.
Without what Opiate just said (a strong software lineup) dropping the price to U$99 would just make it seem cheap (as in: less sofisticated) in comparison to Kinect and probably would hurt it more than help it. The near-impulse-buy price tag may offset that a bit, but I don't think a price drop without an aggressive marketing campaign and the titles to back it up would do much good. Nintendo is going to be focused on the 3DS this year anyway so I think they're not too worried about the Wii losing a bit of steam.

Elios83

Kifimbo said:
Nowhere near 1 million (if true).

Almost 1m in Nov and Dec, nothing spectacular for such a game but FAR from a disaster, GAF has again overreacted without knowing the numbers.

FrankT

Elios83 said:
Almost 1m in Nov and Dec, nothing spectacular for such a game but FAR from a disaster, GAF has again overreacted without knowing the numbers.

At 4.5M average between the mainlines before this I'd say it would be hard pressed to get anywhere close to that or half that with this start in the holiday.

antonz said:
uDraw is making THQ some serious cash. They have to be super excited. They said for November it was supply constrained. Thats very obvious now when you consider just how many units they seem to have moved in December.

Its amazing how much GAF has ignored it.

I first heard about it in the BOX ART thread!

And the first thing I thought was "thats genius, this will sell amazingly"

Mickey sales added
Kenka said:
edit :

Tentative single SKU console Top 10 (based on current knowledge)

01. Just Dance 2 (Wii) [OK]
02. CoD (360) [OK but position unsure though high probability of being correct]
03. DKC (Wii) [OK]
04. Epic Mickey (Wii) 1,320,000
05. COD (PS3) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
06. Michael Jackson's Experience (Wii) [position and appearance in this chart unsure but highly likely]
07. AssBro (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
08. Kinect Sports (360) [appearance OK but position unsure]
09. uDraw (Wii) [appearance OK but position unsure]
10. Dance Central (360) [appearance OK but position unsure though highly likely]

xx. GT5 560,000

Please don't quote anything else.

EagleEyes

Elios83 said:
You mean to tell me that if Halo Reach would have had 960k after a Nov./Dec launch that it wouldn't have been considered a bomb here on GAF?

scitek

FunkyPajamas said:
Without what Opiate just said (a strong software lineup) dropping the price to U$99 would just make it seem cheap (as in: less sofisticated) in comparison to Kinect and probably would hurt it more than help it. The near-impulse-buy price tag may offset that a bit, but I don't think a price drop without an aggressive marketing campaign and the titles to back it up would do much good. Nintendo is going to be focused on the 3DS this year anyway so I think they're not too worried about the Wii losing a bit of steam.

Not at this point. Everyone and their grandmother knows what a Wii is and what it brings to the table. The top reason any potential customers wouldn't have one by now is probably because they think it's too expensive. If it were a year or so old, I'd agree with you, but the fact that it's dominated the sales charts for over four years now would mean it's just dropping in price like all old technology does. (Cue Wii was old technology in 2006 joke.)

Jtyettis said:
At 4.5M average between the mainlines before this I'd say it would be hard pressed to get anywhere close to that or half that with this start in the holiday.
Do we have opening numbers for previous GTs anywhere?

AniHawk said:
I wonder how GT5 did in Europe. I really thought the game would do better.
It's been charting near the top or at the top every week in almost all countries. It was announced at CES the game sold 5.5M but that could have just been the "shipped 5.5M in 12 days" number.

Elios83 said:

Not really. Aside from the bomba lol comments, GAF is pretty much on the money.

This is Sony's biggest franchise we are talking about, and this is the biggest month of the year for sales. It hasn't even made it over 1 million yet. Hell, two games that are for a recently launched add-on device sold more than it. Hell, Epic Mickey sold more than twice what GT5 sold this month.

Not to mention that it's struggling big time in Japan as well.

GT5 will sell a lot of copies but it's gonna be crawling there. It'll slow down a lot more from now on. Given the huge budget (thankfully offset somewhat by Prologue), Gt5 can't be seen as anything but underwhelming. Europe is saving Sony on this one.

BowieZ

Banned
Something like this for Wii 2011 10 million?

SteelAttack said:
$99 price tag
+
Opiate said:
A strong software lineup.
+
_Alkaline_ said:
Skyward Sword
+

Gold colored Wii console

+

Legend of Zelda All-Stars

+
Little Green Yoda said:
Wii Relax
+

Vitality Sensor

+

Third-party Hardcore/Horror game using Vitality Sensor

+
apana said:
Mario & Mickey at the London Olympics
+

Pikmin Wii

+

Yoshi's Island Wii

+

Green colored Wii console

:lol :lol

Yeah... get to it Nintendo! :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
So what are we doing now? Just comparing random games that sold more than GT5 to it to make it look bad? Jesus Fucking Christ.

_Alkaline_ said:
The two best Kinect games sell a million each? Terrific news.

Totally agree. Let's just hope we get more quality software for the thing post-haste.

Where does this put Dance Central in comparison to RB3?

Elios83

Jtyettis said:

Indeed considering the past of the series it is disappointing. But selling a million just in the us in two months it's not a sale disaster in any way

FrankT

DMeisterJ said:
So what are we doing now? Just comparing random games that sold more than GT5 to it to make it look bad? Jesus Fucking Christ.

You mean comparing brand new IPs to GT5 in the holiday launch. Fair game I'd say.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry, haven't kept up with thread. Posting in one place for ease of reference.
Nintendo PR said:
NINTENDO NEWS: NINTENDO EMERGES WITH TOP-SELLING SYSTEMS OF 2010, LOOKS AHEAD TO NINTENDO 3DS

Jan. 13, 2011

Great games, great experiences and great value led Nintendo to finish 2010 with the two top-selling video game systems in the United States. The Nintendo DS™ family of systems finished in first place with more than 8.5 million sold in 2010, while the Wii™ system topped all home consoles with more than 7 million sold, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game industry sales in the United States.

Nintendo sold more than 2.5 million Nintendo DS systems and more than 2.3 million Wii systems in December alone, bringing their lifetime U.S. sales totals to more than 47 million and more than 34 million, respectively.

With the new Nintendo 3DS™ system set to launch in the United States in March, Nintendo has strong momentum heading into 2011. Nintendo 3DS lets users view 3D images without the need for special glasses. More information about the system will be made available during a Jan. 19 preview event in New York.

"Nintendo has sold more game systems than anyone else for five years running," said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's senior director of Corporate Communications. "Of the quarter billion hardware systems sold in the United States during the past 10 years, Nintendo sold more than half. We look forward to bringing fun new experiences to consumers when Nintendo 3DS launches in March."

Three of the top five best-selling games of December play exclusively on Nintendo systems. These include Just Dance 2 from Ubisoft at No. 1, Donkey Kong Country Returns™ from Nintendo at No. 3 and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios at No. 4. For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.
MS PR said:
2010 was the Biggest Year in Xbox History

The launch of Kinect and the debut of blockbuster games such as “Fable III” and “Halo: Reach,” propelled Xbox to the biggest year in its history in 2010. As announced at CES last week, Microsoft ended the year with 50 million Xbox 360 consoles sold worldwide since launch, 30 million active Xbox LIVE members, and 8 million Kinect sensors were sold in just the first 60 days on the market.

December 2010 NPD highlights include:

· Xbox 360 was the only console to show year-over-year growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, December 2010)
· With $6.2 billion spent at retail, more money was spent on Xbox 360 than any current generation console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, December 2010)
· December Xbox 360 console sales remained strong, with 1.9 million units sold, our biggest month ever in the history of Xbox 360. (Source: NPD Group, December 2010)
· During the month of December, three of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood,” and “Kinect Sports.” (Source: NPD Group, December 2010)

In order to keep up with holiday demand in December for Xbox 360 and Kinect, Microsoft pulled units from its January and February production. Despite this, Microsoft still experienced out of supply situations in late December, and it expects supply constraint to continue in January and February as it works with retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments to replenish the channel.

With the most anticipated title of the year, “Gears of War 3,” new Kinect entertainment experiences like Hulu Plus and Avatar Kinect and more several surprises to come, 2011 will be another banner year for Xbox 360.
Sony PR said:
Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY.
- LittleBigPlanet 2 currently has a Metacritic score of 94, which makes it one of the Top 10 PS3 games of all times.

SCEA
Since PlayStation Move was introduced in September, millions of consumers and gamers have joined the PlayStation family. The key to Move's long-term success is developer and publisher support; enabling PlayStation to offer the most diverse line up of motion and 3D games. The combination of innovative hardware and a relentless line up of blockbuster titles is why the PS3 is perhaps the only console that grows more valuable over time. As we come out of the gates in 2011, PlayStation is brimming with new games to whet the appetite for all gamers, like next week's highly anticipated launch of LittleBigPlanet 2, which received top scores. And right around the corner, Killzone 3 is positioned to set a new standard in hardcore gaming as the first AAA title to utilize both 3D and Move functionality. According to the December NPD, PlayStation is the only console company to show year over year software growth with an impressive 32% increase in its sales. Since launching four months ago, PlayStation Move has introduced 50 supported titles, with close to 20 titles still on the horizon, underscoring PlayStation's steady expansion of software titles to create what is without doubt the most exciting line-up of motion control gaming options available to consumers today. We look forward to the year ahead as we continue to deliver the kind of compelling, innovative and diverse content experiences that have kept the PlayStation brand synonymous with premier entertainment for over 15 years.
-- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

Elios83 said:
all depends on how you define things. it has definately drastically underperformed at this point... but certainly, those sales are nothing to sniff at and would be desireable to many other developers.

people will claim otherwise, but if i'd predicted that NFS would outsell it i doubt many people would have agreed with me, now of course people will say 'but NFS is on lots of platforms... lol' like GT doesn't normally sell a crapload on just the one.

is it a disaster? i don't know. but i do think people were expecting it to move hardware. maybe it did, but the PS3 is down YoY again this month as it was last month.

if it helped, it didn't help enough. PS3 looks to have peaked last year. 360 may not have peaked yet.

Fredescu

Elios83 said:
Gran Turismo was soundly beaten by Need for Speed. People can come up with all the excuses they want, but you would have been laughed out of the thread if you made that prediction six months ago (one person did iirc).

EagleEyes

DMeisterJ said:
No, we are comparing the 2 biggest exclusives on both platforms. GAF would have exploded if Reach launched with these numbers that GT5 are putting up.

Aselith

Elios83 said:

For as long as that game took to develop and considering the pedigree, it is a disaster.

Fredescu said:
After the handheld games, I would honestly be shocked if Nintendo managed to do an LTTP style Zelda as good as 3D Dot Game Heroes.
There was a time I wasn't sure Nintendo still had something like NSMBW or DKCR in them. I see Metroid and Zelda as ripe for that sort of return to the basics with a modern spin. Hell, DKCR actually sold me on the idea of Retro doing Metroid again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Boney said:
but your tag!

D:

I loved it, and then the link died letting the youngins know it was about LOST, so then I hated it... I get largely ignored :lol But hey, at the end of the day, safer for my career that way I suppose :D

Fredescu

GrotesqueBeauty said:
There was a time I wasn't sure Nintendo still had something like NSMBW or DKCR in them. I see Metroid and Zelda as ripe for that sort of return to the basics with a modern spin.
Fair enough. I'd love to see them try anyway.

EagleEyes said:
No, we are comparing the 2 biggest exclusives on both platforms. GAF would have exploded if Reach launched with these numbers that GT5 are putting up.
So you were expecting GT5 to do Reach numbers in the US? :lol

DMeisterJ said:
You're really taking this hard, aren't you? :lol

For all of 2010, 13 of the top 25 best-selling games play on Nintendo systems. This includes two of the top five; five of the top 10; and nine of the top 15.

:O

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cvxfreak said:
:lol at Sony's two highlights

We are ignoring our terrible console sales and our struggling tentpole release. By the way, did you know that LBP2 is awesome?

Boney

Banned
John Harker said:
I loved it, and then the link died letting the youngins know it was about LOST, so then I hated it... I get largely ignored :lol But hey, at the end of the day, safer for my career that way I suppose :D
what exactly is your career meng

and they brought the playstation family back, this can't be good.

Top Bottom