• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

tensuke

So if Xbone sold 908K and beat PS4, but PS4 remains the leader and sold around 200K more in November, PS4 has to be somewhere between 700K-900K. I'm thinking around 800K maybe (lol, middleground).

Ha ha ha.. I'm still cracking up thinking back at some of the people taking pictures at the Targets they work at showing stacks of Xbox Ones in stock. All that kept proving was that MS was supplying the hell out of it making sure if people wanted it, it was there for them.

it also means that 908k is the absolute ceiling for Xbox360 demand in december. Everywhere that had them had a TON. Plenty of gaffers were projecting over a million, but the demand simply wasn't there. THAT'S surprising.

The PS4 is still a question mark, since Sony simply didn't have the stock to meet holiday demand.

They could have saved 3D World until then, eh?
Why should they rush MK and sit on a game that is actually ready? Seems like a good way to release an inferior product and lose money at the same time.

Forgive me if I misread. Your post isn't very clear.
Well, like Media Create, even if the Wii U manages to eke out a small win, it's likely that sales will undergo yet another catastrophic dive.
It is inevitable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just want to plant my banner here and say that MajorNelson's twitter post is completely acceptable PR for me. And I was one of the posters last month who heavily criticized last month's magic math.

I don't get it. If we drop the only game not available on next-gen (GTA5) that only allows one game to be promoted. How can 3 retail games fit into the list now?

This must be only about next-gen platform sales only, a metric we don't have access to.
Yes, they actually say that.

"Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list"

NPD is North America only. And yes, the Xbox One does sell a few units outside of NA...

Out of the 3 million, Microsoft in 2013 sold 60% in NPD territory, which is slightly (3%) more than what the 360 did in total last gen (57%). Looking at that distribution last generation, Microsoft supplied accordingly.

If nothing else, 3DS looks to be a big success all things considered. It's a shame the Wii U is anything but. It's probably time to finally combine the 2 and have next gen just be a portable devices that streams to the TV and/or have a tablet/smart phone like relationship where games work on both platforms through a unified eShop.

erawsd

Looks like the US is def still MS territory.

To move that much at$500 is impressive. They even seem to be selling more software.

Tripon

Yeah, god forbid a company actually waits until a game is finished before it releases it. Mind you, i suppose gamers do reward EA every year for their half finished piles of garbage, so maybe it'd be good for business?

Nintendo will never do an Early Access type of release.

well, the "herp derp MS lied!" people is a start
it's only a few though

For the sake of argument, let's say they did lie, or exaggerate. Not sure what difference it makes. Shipped, sold, they can't out-ship demand but for so long, since retailers aren't going to keep ordering at rates they aren't selling. If Microsoft got ahead of themselves, it will be quickly self-correcting.

GeoramA

Well, like Media Create, even if the Wii U manages to eke out a small win, it's likely that sales will undergo yet another catastrophic dive.
With no big games, the PS4 still supply-constrained, and Christmas over with, I think January is going to be ugly for everyone.

The Wii U especially...yikes

Canada's pretty big? Over 11 countries, they would need to cross 800k. So that would averages out to like 73k per country. Is that all that unbelievable?
Considering that those other 11 countries are smaller than Spain and France sales wise, and they couldn't even hit that number, I'd say that it was pretty unbelievable.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yes, they actually say that.

"Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list"
I agree that it's a reasonable interpretation, but the wording is ambiguous because 9 of the top 10 overall games are found on new generations consoles.

Anyway, not important as we agree on what is meant.

liger05

Ha ha ha.. I'm still cracking up thinking back at some of the people taking pictures at the Targets they work at showing stacks of Xbox Ones in stock. All that kept proving was that MS was supplying the hell out of it making sure if people wanted it, it was there for them.

Just shows how stupid it is to assume just because you see a box in the store it doesnt mean the product isnt selling.

Pain

Banned
lol?

You realize Europe bought more PS3s than NA?

Why wouldn't they make sure to have ample supply for one of their biggest markets? You aren't making a lick of sense.

Not only that, but the PS4 is still the best selling next-gen console in NA.

What exactly are you going on about?
Europe bought more PS3s only because PS3 was 3rd place in America....also I'm an American so naturally I care more about American sales. Sue me.

We'll see who wins the next few months in America. If PS4 can wins the next few months once it gets enough stock, then I was wrong, letting Microsoft win December didn't matter. If Xbox One wins the next few months, then I was right, they'll be riding that Christmas momentum up until Titanfall releases.

Isn't it a bad sign that Xbone sales didn't increase over Nov, despite plenty of stock?

PS4's sales don't mean much since nobody can even buy the damn thing.

Dragon

Banned
post like this should be frowned on here.

tumblr_myh68hLWE71t5u0gko1_1280.jpg

TomShoe

Banned

To move that much at$500 is impressive. They even seem to be selling more software.

That's true for now, but to be fair, PS4s are still supply-constrained everywhere. Demand for it is still pretty high at the moment, but it remains to be seen whether the X1 will continue this trend of strong sales. I expect a strong bump when Titanfall drops though.

Spiegel

Based on the fact that xbox1 had a bigger Black Friday and a bigger Holiday, going by the numbers.

Wii sold 600k in its first december. It was supply constrained
PS4 sold >600k in it s first december. It was supply constrained

How is it any different?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Coming from someone who hopes both systems do well: It actually really doesn't. Let's be honest here--the core was going to buy this thing no matter what.

Had a TON of stock that was able to be replenished handily before the holidays. PS4 was supply-constrained heavily.

If it continues like this into February? Start making that statement about the US again.

Top Bottom