• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Eyothrie

How many units did Wii U sell in December? And 3DS? I just see the percentage boost over last year and don't know last year's numbers

On Demand

Banned
Hmm, are peeps generally ignorant of the fact that GTAV was SONY's main bundled title during the xmas period along with many others. You can't just ignore it was and just say "oh look it sold more at retail on X1, SONY am doomed, better do somethings! Drop dat price ASAP!".

It's no surprise to me that MS locked Nov + Dec this year in the US, they always seem too, but overreacting and loosing shit over some retail software selling some more on X1 and going the PS4 doomed/tides turning route is BS, especially when bundles aren't tracked. If increased sales continue for months and MS wipe the gap and sales start to actually swing, then SONY should be doing something to counter.

AC:U/AC4 would have probably been high as well on NPD if they bothered to track bundled games and anyone getting that cheap X1 bundle could more than likely of purchased GTAV:R separate. Right now SONY has to do absolutely nothing though as hitting almost 20mil LTD is a massive achievement, more so than winning 2 months of NPD. America isn't the only place thats important, and at least SONY haven't yet had to suffer great losses with regular price cuts to create any remote interest in their product to generate better sales.

MS can window dress their price drop all they like, but its a simple fact of they fucked up and sent across the wrong message at the start and are having to correct now.

Total sales for most software is higher for PS4 are they not?

Duxxy3

Not too surprising. Factor in Sony's weak exclusives in 2014, and their constant online troubles, and Xbox One selling for $350...Sony is lucky they didn't get their asses kicked worse...in the USA, this past holiday season.

But the player base for the PS4 is still ~500k higher than the XB1. I expected software sales for the PS4 would be stronger in December than what they were.

Did new owners just buy a shitload of software?

lefantome

It's not a fantastic number of systems sold but it's a pretty decent one, especially considering they weren't nearly as aggressive with promotions, price cuts, bundles, etc as Sony/Microsoft were.

2014 was their last chance, they blow it. It's their fault.

Also smash i much bigger in the us than europe

The only thing I think we have is 3 million starter packs which are I think 2-3 toys for the first game: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/30/disney-infinity-has-sold-more-than-3-million-starter-packs/

They're pretty quiet overall.

Does Disney usually not publicly address figures like EA or is this unique to their game studios/Infinity line?

I have no idea of how well even at an anecdotal level on how product is moving. Just hard to imagine less than respectful movement considering it's Disney (not to mention Frozen and Guardians of the Galaxy doing so well and having a presence in the Infinity line).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm, are peeps generally ignorant of the fact that GTAV was SONY's main bundled title during the xmas period along with many others. You can't just ignore it was and just say "oh look it sold more at retail on X1, SONY am doomed, better do somethings! Drop dat price ASAP!".

It's no surprise to me that MS locked Nov + Dec this year in the US, they always seem too, but overreacting and loosing shit over some retail software selling some more on X1 and going the PS4 doomed/tides turning route is BS, especially when bundles aren't tracked. If increased sales continue for months and MS wipe the gap and sales start to actually swing, then SONY should be doing something to counter.

AC:U/AC4 would have probably been high as well on NPD if they bothered to track bundled games and anyone getting that cheap X1 bundle could more than likely of purchased GTAV:R separate. Right now SONY has to do absolutely nothing though as hitting almost 20mil LTD is a massive achievement, more so than winning 2 months of NPD. America isn't the only place thats important, and at least SONY haven't yet had to suffer great losses with regular price cuts to create any remote interest in their product to generate better sales.

MS can window dress their price drop all they like, but its a simple fact of they fucked up and sent across the wrong message at the start and are having to correct now.

weren't gtav bundles mostly black friday? which would have affected software sales in nov. npd and less so dec? i think gtav ps4 was top selling sku in nov and has also sold more overall.

CrisKre

That... really does put things into perspective. Still, I bet the Ouya wishes it had Vita sales. lol.

I guess the difference here is viability. The ouya, Vita, etc. have proven they are not viable platforms on this region. This number puts Wii U on viable territory, and further more sparkles the thought that it may be *gasp* " even "desireable" if the right software keeps on coming or if the price goes low enough.

Its certainly a positive sign and incites *some* (tiny) hope after a long long hard outlook for the system

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does Disney usually not publicly address figures like EA or is this unique to their game studios/Infinity line?

I have no idea of how well even at an anecdotal level on how product is moving. Just hard to imagine less than respectful movement considering it's Disney (not to mention Frozen and Guardians of the Galaxy doing so well and having a presence in the Infinity line).
Well, games are kind of a minor business for Disney so they don't always dive into details in their fiscal calls.

For Activision by comparison, it's their only business. Same with Nintendo for the most part.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
i wonder what the actual delta was between the two systems.... MS definitely deserves it for their marketing push.

Sony definitely needs to be a bit louder when it comes to their marketing, and especially focused on their exclusives coming up. Advertising multiplats has kind of made it redundant to xbox, which was a smart strategy to get over that prior gen stigma, but now the system needs a bit of an identity via its games.

Nintendo and their IP still have major brand power I'm not understanding some of the "doomlike" posts in here for them.

They had a bad strategy with the Wii U but their next console could be very successful.

But the player base for the PS4 is still ~500k higher than the XB1. I expected software sales for the PS4 would be stronger in December than what they were.

Just a random guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an above average spike for XB1 software purchase because of the lag generated by the ACU bundle.

Many who bought the bundles in November probably purchased their software in December after finishing ACU and BF.

And people still believe Splatoon will be some kind of W101. There, it's top of their list for 2015, they will push it as strong as they can.
You think inclusion in PR is some indicator that it will fare well commercially...?

What else have they even announced for CYH1, out of curiosity?

Neither are huge blockbusters, not sure why people are acting like they are.

Nor were any of the games Microsoft released last year (MCC was just a HD Collection and a buggy as hell one at that), yet that didn't stop people from hyping them up as if they even came remotely close to Nintendo's Wii U lineup the same year (or Sony's 2013 PS3 lineup).

Bloodborne is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so there's a good chance it'll be really popular amongst the hardcore. And as for The Order, I think it depends on how good it is. If it hits the same notes as Uncharted/TLOU that they're going for, then I think it has the potential to be fairly big. If not, then it'll probably be a middling success.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nintendo and their IP still have major brand power I'm not understanding some of the "doomlike" posts in here for them.

They had a bad strategy with the Wii U but their next console could be very successful.

for selling nintendo games. has the secondary console stigma now. :\

So if they're selling it for $349 from now on, there's almost no way they can be making a profit on it now. In fact they're just kinda screwing themselves over for when Sony drops to $299 later this year.

Imagining XBO selling for half the launch price only two years out is downright ridiculous, and not necessarily in a good way.

CrisKre

And people still believe Splatoon will be some kind of W101. There, it's top of their list for 2015, they will push it as strong as they can.

It won´t be Wonderful 101, no.

I believe at minimum it will be like Captain Toad, which wouldn´t be great either.

But it could turn out to be a disappointment still. Jury is out on whether this type of new franchises aimed at a more broad audience can find success in this market.

I really really hope it finds success. It looks to hit the right notes, but it depends on how they market it and on whether it catches on or not.

Calamari41

41 > 38
People who are acting surprised in a negative way at the Wii U's ~570-580k sales and declaring that the system is *now* dead are concern trolling, right? Considering the numbers we've been seeing and the discussions that have been held over this system for the past 24 months, that number isn't a negative shock in the least.

Loakum

Banned

Sony's online troubles are starting to really hurt them. The top selling games of 2014 had a strong online following: Call of Duty, GTAV, and Destiny. It's not by accident Microsoft sold more software for those games. I'm not hating, I'm a proud PS4 owner, but Sony really needs to get it together with their online security/servers. The fact folks are now paying for it, only makes the matter more urgent.

Schryver

What's "well"?

I'm willing to bet combined sales of Bloodborne and The Order won't top 5 million by the end of 2015.

That would be fucking depressing, assuming The Order is legitimately good.
we all know Bloodborne will get a 95 avg on metacritic. hype!
I will get it either way though

Holy shit Microsoft is still a monster in the U.S and the software is what amazes me more. They sold more for most of the multiplatforms with a lesser base. Jan will be interesting but congrats to MS, that was a serious holiday for them.

ec0ec0

Had not Nintendo missed the toys to life activision boat...

(when activision came to them before releasing skylanders)

Is Nintendo making some money of amiibo?? yes. could they have made more if they weren't stupid? yes.

They could have launched "amiibo" years ago, when they were on a better position...

Dee Dee

2015 YEAR OF THE AMIIBO.

not a world i want to live in :p

I still like a lot about them. Like, how you can basically sell them as used DLC - I think that's cool. Also, I bought way too many of them, and have this itch to still buy more... Nintendo licensed crystal meth, what's not to like?

Which is fine. The price is lower and we can buy them cheaper. Good thing, right...?
Good for consumers? Yeah. But it's just a bit odd. I figure they were losing money on those bundles, which is why they announced the price-raise. I guess this is $349 without the bundled games or gift cards...

...which is what many of us were guessing they'd do in the first place :p

FordGTGuy

Banned
So if they're selling it for $349 from now on, there's almost no way they can be making a profit on it now. In fact they're just kinda screwing themselves over for when Sony drops to $299 later this year.

Imagining XBO selling for half the launch price only two years out is downright ridiculous, and not necessarily in a good way.

LoL Sony will not drop the current PS4 to $299. They will do amazing just at a $349 price point, and with them expecting to take around another 2 billion dollar loss this year. I see Sony keeping it up as long as they can.

nib95

Banned
About as expected, though Xbox Ones software sales being so dominant is somewhat surprising, but I guess a lot of the sales were from new perspective buyers.

Side note, if I lived in the US I would have absolutely bought an Xbox One this holiday. $350 or less including AC Unity, Black Flag, Destiny plus a $50 gift voucher on top? That's ridiculous.

for selling nintendo games. has the secondary console stigma now. :

Yep I can 100% agree with that.

Their next console they need to go ALL IN on focusing on the core Nintendo fan base. No gimmicky stuff like the tablet controller driving up cost. Just a solid machine, at a reasonable price point, marketed to their core demographic. It may not be the best selling console next time out but they can get respectable numbers and post a profit.

They really need to focus hard on driving / expanding their IPs. Amiibos is a smart start to that strategy.

Top Bottom