• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

kyser73

So many people ignoring the annual sales chart:

5 titles sold best on 360
3 titles sold best on PS4
1 title sold best on X1 & 3DS.

RE: PS4 sales...I dimly remember reading that House or Layden said that US sales in December had reached their internal projections, so I'm guessing around the 1-1.1m mark.

Nintendo and their IP still have major brand power I'm not understanding some of the "doomlike" posts in here for them.

They had a bad strategy with the Wii U but their next console could be very successful.

Yeah, I think that this holiday has showcased that Nintendo's characters and worlds really have some cache, even when tied to wounded or dying systems. Smash, Kart and amiibo have done about as well as possibly could be expected of them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
But the player base for the PS4 is still ~500k higher than the XB1. I expected software sales for the PS4 would be stronger in December than what they were.

Did new owners just buy a shitload of software?

Yes? Also...some of those same titles sold more on PS4 in Nov and sold more overall.

Their next console they need to go ALL IN on focusing on the core Nintendo fan base.
But that's who the Wii U is already selling to... :/

Their most ardent of fanbase will buy the $350 system that just has Nintendo games with a confusing controller that hasn't really shown it's necessity/doesn't really address any major pain point.
They'll buy those key sub-brands Mario Kart, Smash, Super Mario in big numbers.
They'll buy 2 or 3 or a dozen $15 accessories.

They need to create a system that will appeal to people outside the set who are going to always buy the system anyway.

So the hardware bundles for the XBO, were they like normal bundles where the software isn't counted? Or were they like the "buy an XBO, get to choose a free game" deal they had during Destiny's launch which counts as a sale of a game for NPD?

1 title sold best on X1 & 3DS.

RE: PS4 sales...I dimly remember reading that House or Layden said that US sales in December had reached their internal projections, so I'm guessing around the 1-1.1m mark.

It was House speaking to Nikkei Shimbun, Japanese news outlet.

pixlexic

Banned
Wii u is def becoming my favorite of the three consoles. Xbone had a few good holiday titles but the ps4 is pretty stagnant now at least until bloodborne.

arevin01

PS4 may lead world wide sales but they can't claim they are the best console in the US during the holidays. MS takes back the US in fashion.

I'm going to enjoy the tears when The Order does well.

Man, forget about sales for the thing, I am just hoping it will turn out to be a good game, because everything I have heard/seen from the game since the reveal tailor has turned off my interest big time :/

I am going to wait for reviews though before I make a final decision....
If it has a really good story then I guess that is what is most important.

Honest question, do people really expect Bloodborne to sell tons and move lots of PS4s?

Actually yes. It's a sleeper hit. Souls games have gotten really strong following and even the PC players are looking forward to get PS4 and Bloodborne (at least that's how it is in Finland).

Gator86

Yep I can 100% agree with that.

Their next console they need to go ALL IN on focusing on the core Nintendo fan base. No gimmicky stuff like the tablet controller driving up cost. Just a solid machine, at a reasonable price point, marketed to their core demographic. It may not be the best selling console next time out but they can get respectable numbers and post a profit.

They really need to focus hard on driving / expanding their IPs. Amiibos is a smart start to that strategy.

This is absolutely the strategy I think they should take. They definitely will not do this. I expect a goofy gimmick that is then shoehorned into launch games then forgotten while the system struggles mightily.

Remember when you guys made fun of those people who predicted Microsoft wouln't increase the price? Here we are a week later.

By now you should all know that everything that comes out of Microsoft PR is bullshit.
Re-read the OP. It's back for $349 starting tomorrow.

Probably without all the bundled crap tho.

Man, forget about sales for the thing, I am just hoping it will turn out to be a good game, because everything I have heard/seen from the game since the reveal tailor has turned off my interest big time :/

I am going to wait for reviews though before I make a final decision....
If it has a really good story then I guess that is what is most important.

I am anticipating an 80 metacritic. I will wait for reviews to buy, though.

RedAssedApe

Banned

1 title sold best on X1* & 3DS.

*not counting Destiny bundles. :)

But that's who the Wii U is already selling to... :/

Yeah but it was not branded that way prior to launch. It was honestly handled awfuly. It looked like some sort of expansion to the regular Wii. Does no one remember closing E3 with...........fireworks?

Their next console needs to 100% focus all marketing on their very strong IP and making major games at launch for them. Send a clear message of what exactly the machine is.

MrMatt555

Im terms of top 10 software sales: I like how dragon age comes in for a month, wins GOTY, then disappears off the face of the earth.

gioGAF

I'm willing to bet combined sales of Bloodborne and The Order won't top 5 million by the end of 2015.
Even though Bloodborne is my most anticipated game of 2015, this is probably sadly true. The masses just want to play FPS and sports games all year long. Of course, I would be overjoyed if Bloodborne was a runaway success :)

Interesting NPD, looks like the aggressive pricing worked wonders for the bone and I'm especially surprised with the edge in software for December. I'm guessing a spike of new bone owners needed new bone games.

For everybody's sake, hopefully Sony can remain in front because that is the only way all of the bone faithful will keep getting good deals, otherwise it is back to sandpaper loving for all of them.

Papacheeks

Banned
I find it hilarious people are acting like Third party games sold on Xbox are out selling it, is some miracle or is a sign that Sony has to drop price.

Yes, let's not use logic that a heavily discounted system being sold in the month's of NOV-DEC won't push software sales for third party games in those month's.

It's like we didn't expect people who bought the system for 329.99 or cheaper not to pick up GTA V or Madden or any other popular Third party game.

Neogaf going to Neogaf.

Mory Dunz

I could see Splatoon opening at...200K.

Assuming it gets a few commercials.

So that's my guess.

Anyone know how much Wind Waker GC sold? 3.something million?
I'm wondering if Zelda U can even beat it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For those interested: given Nintendo released numbers, in December

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS (retail + digital) - 500,000
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U (retail + digital ) - 590,000

Total (retail + digital) - 1,090,000

I think people are underestimating the non-hardcore crowd and The Order. Almost every casual player that has a PS4 I know thinks The Order looks awesome.

Yeah but it was not branded that way prior to launch. It was honestly handled awfuly. It looked like some sort of expansion to the regular Wii. Does no one remember closing E3 with...........fireworks?

Their next console needs to 100% focus all marketing on thier very strong IP amd making major games at launch for them. Send a clear message of what exactly the machine is.
Yes, their launch was handled poorly. But the "Nintendo core" are those who purchased the system despite its foibles.

I really don't see a strategy of designing the system for the segment that will buy the system, regardless of what kind of system you design, as sound for some sort of recovery from their current position.
They need to go beyond the "Nintendo core."

RBK

Banned
WW? Do bundles count? I'd take that bet, even knowing how the DS games have done.

Even though it's on the PS4, being a console exclusive is going to hinder sales.

Sure, it's two big games for Sony during MS "offseason" but people continue to overestimate how well these two new IPs will do.

Top Bottom