• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Valentus

So, if in december, holiday season, $350 + 2 or 3 games VS $400 + 2 games did only a difference of 200k, in a normal month, $350 + 1 or 0 games VS $400 + TLoU would did what... 20k/30k difference?, and in the same time in the rest of the world the gap month by month will widen 800k/1M?

I think MS should celebrate nothing yet, US will not balance things for MS at this pace.

I think that Sony was unprepared for how aggressive MS was going to be this holidays. GTAV helped Sony a lot, if they ended up with AC and MS with GTA MS would have done much better.

I think that Sony should be considering cutting the price of the PS4 in NA before doing the same in other territories. They should announce the NA price cut in the next E3 and than do the same for Europe and Japan in the next Gamescom and TGS.
Here's the thing tho; they still sold over a million in December in NA. Not bad at all. They don't need a price drop right now. What they need, honestly, is maybe a bundled big game and actually advertise their strengths over the XBO. They've been shy to talk about the power gap; remind people why they're spending $50 more on your product in very concrete terms.

Just don't go overboard with it. Like those old...Neo-Geo Mad Dog ads. They should take cues from car commercials.

Swank avatar btw; fellow LBA fan here!

Three

Europe (PAL region for be more precise) is for PS4 what USA is for Xbox One.

That would make sense if xbox one wasn't behind in the USA too. It does not even have a lead let alone one comparable to the PAL region. If the XB1 was leading in the US this analogy could be somewhat forgivable but even then comparing it to Europe is a bit of a stretch.

donny2112

Great numbers for both if true.

With those ...

USConsole_PS4gap_201412.png

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
What are you guys trying to figure out?

What Shinra said. I'm trying to figure out the 3DS's best sellers based on the PR note.

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.

So interpreted this as 3 over 1M this year (Pokemon OR, Pokemon AS, and Smash)
8 over 500K but below 1M - ?
and 5 over 250K but below 500K - ?
all in the US. Is that interpretation correct?

I also had guesses on titles, as I supposed the titles could be Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Mario Kart 7, NSMB2, 3D Land, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, Tomodachi, Yoshi's New Island, Kirby, and maybe some Zelda/Lego titles.

allan-bh

That would make sense if xbox one wasn't behind in the USA too. It does not even have a lead let alone one comparable to the PAL region. If the XB1 was leading in the US this analogy could be somewhat forgivable but even then comparing it to Europe is a bit of a stretch.

I'm saying in terms of being a important market.

PS4 situation WW is far better than Xbox One mainly because of Europe , and Xbox One is very dependent of US sales.

Discomurf

Ghosts for PC was the worst optimized CoD game ever made. Black Ops 2 was very well optimized, so people just stuck with BO2.

Ah I see --- maybe Activison shouldn't have dumped the Wii U version just yet. Looks like it would have made them at least some easy money anyway,

onQ123

So, if in december, holiday season, $350 + 2 or 3 games VS $400 + 2 games did only a difference of 200k, in a normal month, $350 + 1 or 0 games VS $400 + TLoU would did what... 20k/30k difference?, and in the same time in the rest of the world the gap month by month will widen 800k/1M?

I think MS should celebrate nothing yet, US will not balance things for MS at this pace.

Maybe so but it will make things look better for them when it come to 3rd party support of games that will cater to the US market.

Elios83

It is good news for everyone, of course it's a slower thread lol.

It's also what most people expected, no shock, Xbox One still winning but with a lower gap compared to November because Sony was more competitive and when you drop the price you always get a bonus boost for the first month then things start to settle down.
Microsoft did well with their bundles and promotions in trying to get back in the race in the US. They basically abandoned the race in Europe and worldwide but in the US they have made a successful recover.
I don't know why they bothered going back to 399$ for less than two weeks....but surely Sony expected them to stay at 350$, that's the only reason why they announced TLOU being bundled in every console in the US.
Now we have 349$ with no games on one side and 399$ with a game on the other, imo it's a pretty balanced battle in terms of value but PS4 has a better Q1 lineup overall so I expect PS4 to be back on top during the quarter, also considering that outside the holiday season people tend to buy what they want and not what's cheaper.

Duxxy3

That's always been MS big problem with the Xbox brand, strong domestically and in the culturally similar UK, but beyond that a big drop-off in penetration.

I can't help but see that being even more pronounced this gen with Nintendo being far less competitive to Sony's market share in the regions where Xbox is weak.

I think part of that comes down to the design of the console. What they want the console to do.

The 360 was a gaming console, a connected console. It was designed well. Not just for efficiency. It wasn't designed JUST for the USA like the XB1 was.

The XB1's TV TV TV approach ostracized the majority of the world. Then you add in a rather bad looking console, as well as the same language options that the PS3/360 enjoyed and you have a box that rightfully gained it's "USA box" moniker. The XB1 slim can not come out soon enough.

Freeman

Banned
Here's the thing tho; they still sold over a million in December in NA. Not bad at all. They don't need a price drop right now. What they need, honestly, is maybe a bundled big game and actually advertise their strengths over the XBO. They've been shy to talk about the power gap; remind people why they're spending $50 more on your product in very concrete terms.

Just don't go overboard with it. Like those old...Neo-Geo Mad Dog ads. They should take cues from car commercials.

Swank avatar btw; fellow LBA fan here!

Thanks, it's great to see that there are many fans on LBA out there, I love this series.

Loakum

Banned
= ) I wonder what fun things they can come up with using the twitch interactions.

I'm gonna so intentionally make bad choices, just to watch the carnage! Even though, when I done that with Heavy Rain...it was one of the most depressing endings ever! lol

gioGAF

Ridiculous.

MS is clearly focusing on the US market, I doubt that they planned on being where they are at this stage of the game though.
Disagree, not ridiculous at all. It is actually spot on. A straight up fire sale for the last two months definitely shows a lack of confidence in their product's ability to sell, not only at the original price point they chose but also at a price point that matched their nearest competitor.

Three

What is really surprising for me is the amazing performance from the 360. All in all MS must still be very pleased with the year even if they are behind in install base.

KoopaTheCasual

I think we all should be happy that dedicated gaming devices are still selling well.
Yup. Really happy with the total sales. I wonder whether PS4 and XB1 will try to drive the price down much faster than last gen (i hope so). The 360 and PS3, are way too expensive at this point in their life, imo.

Superman00

Liverpool01
PS4 would be at ~11 million, so maybe that's true.

More than likely. XB1 would have to do really well the last 2 months WW. Since we know that they are at about 6.2M in US. I would think the the US ratio for XB1 would be higher than normal cause of all the crazy deals.

Top Bottom