• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

On Demand

Banned
They really. In general all the PS4 crushed! and doomed and whatnot posts just have me kind of astonished here.

How can people honestly think stuff like that? Makes no sense. Both consoles sold great, the PS4 did incredibly even though it was siginifacntly more expensive and I'd wager as a result Sony made out with more money from consoles than MS did. The gap is still 500k, and it'll likely go right back to growing throughout the year so yea, all in all, wow.

And they ignor the higher total sales for most of the software.

Reason being that no matter how you slice it, the PS4 still had/has a higher install base.

Hence selling more overall. :)......not to mention GTAV was bundled with PS4.

XB1selling more for one month doesn't say anything at all about PS4 software sales.

I'm really trying to understand some of you.

C4Lukins

So the Xbox One, The All-in-One Emmy winning Entertainment System, managed to win the christmas period, but didn't sell enough to beat the PS4 for the whole year. Will be interesting to see whether they can keep any momentum or whether they crash now that they raised their prices again. I expect the latter, though I also expect that MS will lower the price again quickly.

Tomorrow to be precise.

donny2112

I think we all should be happy that dedicated gaming devices are still selling well.

From the OP, PS4+XB1 are 65% higher than PS3+360 last gen. Looking at all 3, PS4+XB1+WIU ~= PS3+360+Wii at 14 months from launch for each. Considering Nintendo's drastic fall back, that's pretty good indeed for PS4+XB1!

allan-bh

Outside of US/UK xbox one is completely dead, I going to say worldwide its 9-9.5 million. Just a guess :)

I don't think is dead.

Is much more weaker than PS4, but adding all countries outside of US/UK where Xbox One is being sold, i don't think sales are so negligible.

donny2112

So Dent's figures are incorrect? More than 200k difference in sales between XBO PS4? For Dec

I'm using Dent's figures.

Gap after Nov-2014: ~700K
Gap after Dec-2014: ~500K

200/700 = 29%

The gap dropped by ~30% in absolute numbers from Nov to Dec. Relative to XB1's install base, the % difference dropped by ~half.

Elandyll

Banned
So going back to Greenberg's very own tweets, Xbox won two important matches during the actual season by bleeding their players dry, but lost the overall championship. Not even a pyrrhic victory when considering the overall picture, more like a pyrrhic loss.

At least the consumers who wanted an Xbox were able to score one for cheap, so that's a win for them :)

As per the XB1 returning to $349 right away, I didn't think it would happen until Feb, but I guess all that will do is accelerate a PS4 price drop in return. Possibly in Feb to also benefit from the start of the he big exclusive releases.

STEaMkb

The 360 was a gaming console, a connected console. It was designed well. Not just for efficiency. It wasn't designed JUST for the USA like the XB1 was.

The XB1's TV TV TV approach ostracized the majority of the world. Then you add in a rather bad looking console, as well as the same language options that the PS3/360 enjoyed and you have a box that rightfully gained it's "USA box" moniker. The XB1 slim can not come out soon enough.

Yep. This is the reception to Xbox One television functionality by most of the globe.

vxkbebT.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
Hence selling more overall. :)......not to mention GTAV was bundled with PS4.

XB1 selling more for one month doesn't say anything at all about PS4 software sales.

I'm really trying to understand some of you.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that it shows something negative about PS4 software sales. It's simply better than what many people though.

I mean, you wouldn't do a double take if someone last month said that the majority of multiplats on the NPD list would show as doing better on the Xbox One than the PS4 in December when that wasn't the case for November?

What are you guys trying to figure out?

I was curious that the wording of Nintendo's PR implies that there may have been a Vita game that sold over 250K this year (16 titles over 250k, and the top 15 handheld games of last year). Though they may have chosen 15 more for being a round number than for their being a Vita game at #16.

Opiate

And that will vanish quite quickly due to the lower price. US customers only go by price.

Unless you're the Wii U, of course!

But yes, I think US gamers see Xbox and Playstation as basically interchangeable commodities with little meaningful differentiation.

Javin98

Banned
So going back to Greenberg's very own tweets, Xbox won two important matches during the actual season by bleeding their players dry, but lost the overall championship. Not even a pyrrhic victory when considering the overall picture, more like a pyrrhic loss.

At least the consumers who wanted an Xbox were able to score one for cheap, so that's a win for them :)

As per the XB1 returning to $349 right away, I didn't think it would happen until Feb, but I guess all that will do is accelerate a PS4 price drop in return. Possibly in Feb to also benefit from the start of the he big exclusive releases.

Given the current state of Sony as a whole, I doubt we will see a price drop for the PS4 too soon. September sounds like a good time for a price drop and I expect Sony to cut the price to $299. $349 will likely not cut it if Microsoft pulls off aggressive deals again for the holiday season. A $299 PS4 bundle with Uncharted 4 would sell gangbusters.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I was curious that the wording of Nintendo's PR implies that there may have been a Vita game that sold over 250K this year (16 titles over 250k, and the top 15 handheld games of last year). Though they may have chosen 15 more for being a round number than for their being a Vita game at #16.

I have a feeling it's Frozen DS for some reason, unless they're counting the bundled Borderlands 2 or something?

Dent's presented the good side of his face today.

Believe.

Ooh nice about Hyrule hitting 300K =).

Superman00

Liverpool01
I don't think is dead.

Is much more weaker than PS4, but adding all countries outside of US/UK where Xbox One is being sold, i don't think sales are so negligible.

Actually it's pretty close to dead. US+UK probably account for greater than 70% of the WW numbers. With the numbers so far we know US+UK is greater than 7.2M.

Cipherr

So last months PS4 lead has been halved. Nov 15%, Dec 7.5%

Really impressive.

In my eyes the XB1 was a clusterfuck. The TV crap and all the retractions and scaling back. The hot mess attempt to push Kinect, then a full on retreat on that, the bad pricing versus the PS4. Just a freaking mess of a console launch.

And yet they are clawing back and have good momentum. I saw this gen working out for Sony the way the PS2 did, it was looking like it would dominate with no real competition, but daaaaaaamn was I wrong.

small44

Given the current state of Sony as a whole, I doubt we will see a price drop for the PS4 too soon. September sounds like a good time for a price drop and I expect Sony to cut the price to $299. $349 will likely not cut it if Microsoft pulls off aggressive deals again for the holiday season. A $299 PS4 bundle with Uncharted 4 would sell gangbusters.

I think they can make a price cut and still selling it at profit

Unless you're the Wii U, of course!

But yes, I think US gamers see Xbox and Playstation as basically interchangeable commodities with little meaningful differentiation.

It certainly seems that way now, as MS's old stupidity was smartly and quickly scrubbed away.

Now, they have to MAKE something of it, and they're entering a rough stretch software-wise but with another price drop. January's will be fun.

allan-bh

Actually it's pretty close to dead. US+UK probably account for greater than 70% of the WW numbers. With the numbers so far we know US+UK is greater than 7.2M.

This is an estimate. Microsoft needs to announce something up to end of 2014, so we will have a better idea.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I noticed that Dragon Age didn't chart. Has EA said anything about its sales?

I hope cream will give us the numbers for it.

I'm sure we'll find that out in due time as well.

I don't know about holiday sales, but it opened 600K+ in its first month. I think folks said that it opened better than DA2 and DA.

Also I'd guess 3DS December 2014 > 3DS November 2013?

I expected One to sell more than that, was pretty close to what I expected of PS4. Within 130k units.

So PS4's lead is roughly 500k units starting in 2015.

Given what MS just announced and the lack of response I expect from Sony I'm expecting PS4 and One sales to track very closely from here on out. Monthly tracking to favor One slightly, for as long as it is cheaper. If they actually do phase out their newest "price cut" I expect that to shift heavily in PS4's favor. Until Sony tries to compete or undercut MS on Ones pricing. Price parity has favored PS4 in NA through the short span it was in effect. But if PS4 undercuts One pricing expect it to shift back to the $399-$499 levels.

Really impressive.

In my eyes the XB1 was a clusterfuck. The TV crap and all the retractions and scaling back. The hot mess attempt to push Kinect, then a full on retreat on that, the bad pricing versus the PS4. Just a freaking mess of a console launch.

And yet they are clawing back and have good momentum. I saw this gen working out for Sony the way the PS2 did, it was looking like it would dominate with no real competition, but daaaaaaamn was I wrong.

good momentum by slashing the price by 150 bucks in 13 months and taking losses with every unit sold?

I'm not so sure about the rest of the world dying off relative to launch or anything:

through 2013
US=1817k
UK=364k (20.03% of US)
Germany=100k (5.50% of US)

2014 YTD through November
US~3073k
UK~736k (crossed 1 million the week before Black Friday, and then pulled 100k+ during that week) (23.95% of US, a fairly sizable increase which helps a lot considering it's the #2 market)
Germany=170k (5.53% of US)

More than likely. XB1 would have to do really well the last 2 months WW. Since we know that they are at about 6.2M in US. I would think the the US ratio for XB1 would be higher than normal cause of all the crazy deals.

Yeah I doubt it's at 11. Probably closer to 10.1-10.5 million. The ratio was around 5.0-5.1/8.3-8.5* (59-61% of sales) at the end of November.

10.5 million- 59%
10.3 million- 60%
10.1 million-61%

*Assuming Bish's source was accurate.

Bsigg12

good momentum by slashing the price by 150 bucks in 13 months and taking losses with every unit sold?

Microsoft is more interested in getting the system in living rooms to sell people on games and services. They can eat that cost as a company pretty easily.

Koh

I only purchased 2 of the top 10 games of last year, destiny and minecraft. It sure is weird to see how much i differ from the average user.

Edit: though minecraft i bought as a digital purchase and didn't even count in that chart.

I don't know about holiday sales, but it opened 600K+ in its first month. I think folks said that it opened better than DA2 and DA.

Also I'd guess 3DS December 2014 > 3DS November 2013?

Well that's not bad. I'm sure it sold pretty well on PC too. DA has always been strong on PC (that's where I play it).

I doubt we'll ever see another PS2-style generation. This gen will be more like the PS1/N64/Saturn era. PS1=PS4, N64=Xbox, Saturn=Wii U. I'm willing to bet the sales numbers will be eerily similar.

How do you know they're selling at a loss? They removed the expensive Kinect peripheral and its been reported they gained some manufacturing wins. It was probably a loss with the holiday bundles because of the games involved, but now I'd wager it's about break even with real revenue coming from Gold, accessories like the controller, headsets, media remote, and of course software sales.

Top Bottom