• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

Shabad

So around 1.3 million for Xbox One and 1.1 million for the PS4 ?

I don't think Sony has too much to worry about... They were a bit behind in the most competitive market for them during two month, but :
- They are outselling the Xbox One by a significant margin in every other territory, worldwide number are around 2:1 in their favor
- Microsoft marketing, offers and release schedule is mostly focused on the holidays season in the USA, leaving the rest of the year up for taking.
- The US LTD is still significantly in their favor, and will most likely continue to grow in the next month
- Their 2015 planning is stellar, with multiple exclusive releases per month all year around, which should boost sales (in US and, more importantly for the industry as a whole, Japan)
- Sony hasn't tapped into their undecided crowd yet by lowering the price like Microsoft did, they still have that card up their sleeves, although the time to play it hasn't come yet given their very good position right now.

Putty

Why do Sony need to do anything? They are in the driving seat, sales are still very strong, they've a plethora of titles about to land.

Because they are essentially abandoning the lead to MS and that is just stupid policy.

The lower the price, the more consoles sold.

The more consoles sold, the more games sold.

The more games sold, the more money comes back to Sony and the stronger their brand gets,

Letting your rivals gain on you is just stupid policy.

How about we see how everything pans put through the first half of 2015 first maybe? MS won due to giving away like 150$ worth of software with each console along with the price drop to 329. I mean you can't get more aggressive then that. The PS4 actually has a bunch of software hitting in the first half of the year as well unlike MS which could easily give the PS4 stronger sales throughout the first half eliminating whatever catching up the X1 was able to do.

If I were Sony I wouldn't do a thing. They just sold 19 million consoles year 1 when the 2015 software lineup looks 10x better overall then 2014. Sales are only going to go up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those software sales overall are not great.

Conduit

Banned
XB1 leading in software sales in the US? Either the PS4 really takes its moniker "Indiestation" to an extent or everyone else is downloading their games on PSN.

And don't forget about 500k ( Nov.+ Dec. ) more new Xbone owners vs. PS4 who probably bought a lot of games.

thelastword

Banned
Both systems did pretty well, MS had to do a lot of bleeding and yet PS4 is not afar off those MS numbers.

As for software, I believe that the xbone is more of a retail console as opposed to PS4, I do remember Sony had a report saying how their digital sales have been skyrocketing. It's extremely convenient to download and install games on the PS4.

An easy way to gauge sales though is to see how many persons are on the CODAW, GTA, destiny servers, that should put things into perspective. Unless NPD can give us digital sales on these consoles, then I'm afraid we're only seeing a half-picture.

Ricky_R

Because they are essentially abandoning the lead to MS and that is just stupid policy.

The more games sold, the more money comes back to Sony and the stronger their brand gets,

It would be better to wait for January and February (maybe even March) to see if the price cut will actually be effective enough to outsell the PS4 outside of the holidays.

No need to react just yet when they're still selling great despite MS selling more units these holidays. They are profiting from all the things you listed while keeping their price intact.

Sony should just wait and see. They're in a favorable position.

RemiLP

Im sure someone at sony has crunched the numbers, and dissagree with you.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U results show growth, without price cut. Adoption is slow but accelerating. Smash and Mario Kart will keep selling next year and push sysyems, moreso with DLCs that will keep the buzz going.

I expect a price in May along with Splatoon could accelerate adoption further. So I'm pretty optimistic again, the sales pattern is nothing like previous Nintendo consoles, that's a given, but Nintendo is certainly in a better position now than last year. If they decide to keep investing on Wii U as their main platform for the next years, things could get interesting.

E3 can't come soon enough. Nintendo's strategy-be patient or disruptive- will be a delight to observe.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We've had updates for most recent games on 3DS and Wii U (much appreciated), but is it possible to get some updates for older titles? Specifically

- Kingdom Hearts 3D
- Monster Hunter 3U on 3DS and Wii U (with 4U approaching, so we have a range)
- Lego City Undercover on 3DS and Wii U
- Kid Icarus Uprising (a long time since the last update on this)

Amused

definitely more so than last dec.

Makes some sense too. Buy a new console, you pick up a few games with it. Already own the console? I larger percentage will probably pick the games up digitaly.

Coming into november and december, more people already owned a PS4. These people are probably more inclined to pick the games up digitaly. In november and december more people picked up a X1. These people are probably more inclined to pick up a few retail games with their console.

Who sold more software overall? We do not know.

dolemite

I am impressed with how well the sub $300 market is doing in the presence of two juggernauts selling over 1 million units each. Sony and MSFT need to cultivate their PSOne library and once they breach that $300 barrier their sales are gonna go nuts. Also congrats to X360 on reaching that #1 milestone.

Btw, any numbers on WatchDogs WiiU?

ViciousDS

Banned
Re the whole Sony not doing a thing. Aren't they now bundling tlou with every ps4 sold?

they also have exclusives planned all year round.
The Order 1886 next month
bloodbourne in the spring
Wouldn't doubt Planetside 2 launching a bit after bloodbourne
Until dawn in the summer

They hit quite a diverse crowd with shooters, action and a thriller story game.....not to mention how many more indie titles they have coming compared to the X1 due to that clause.

I'm not even sure Xbox has anything coming out till fall this year.....thats 8 months of multiplats to move consoles.

Does someone have a list somewhere comparing both systems this year?

Deku Tree

Anyone have LTD sales numbers for Destiny? NPD? WW? Retail or Retail + Digital?
I was surprised to see it was third in NPD sales for all of 2014.

If it was the third best selling game of 2014 why is Bungie/Activision so shy with actual sales numbers?
thanks

Shredderi

Damn! That is awesome for xbone. I don't want any one platform to dominate too much. I want both parties sweating bullets and bringing their 110% in terms of competition (as long as that doesn't amount to just paying to devs to not bring their games to other platforms).

SaucyJack

They are? As a policy?

I could have sworn that the PS4 was the best selling console in the US in 2014. Did I misread something?

We all know that MS pushed hard over the holiday season with some very competitive pricing and value. Whilst it has made things interesting it hardly invalidates Sony`s approach. Indeed, by responding with their own good value bundles in late Nov they appear to have minimised the gap in December whilst still maintaining their price.

I suspect they will be rather content with their lot right now.

Re the whole Sony not doing a thing. Aren't they now bundling tlou with every ps4 sold?

It's been brought up occasionally in the past in regards to whether or not Sony would bundle a game for free in the pre-season, because prior to Black Friday bundle and the 4GP1 bundle in December, their bundles only discounted the game by $10, and not 'free.'

I'm not even sure Xbox has anything coming out till fall this year.....thats 8 months of multiplats to move consoles

Screamride
Ori & the Blind Forest
State of Decay

Rixa

Wait this can't be right.
Wii U at 1.4

I must not be understanding the context. Surely it wasn't hinted that the Wii U sold 1.4 million in Dec.

WiiU + DS3 + Wii = Nintendofamily.
PS3 + PSVita + PSTV + PS4 = Playstationfamily
X360 + X1 = Microsoftfamily

sense

The XBone "trounced" the PS4? Because they sold a little more in the US? Although XBone is an also-runner in almost every other important and unimportant market? (your EDIT was to slow to match the speed of someone who`s going to have lunch in a couple of minutes ;)).

Sorry, but no. XBone managed to go ahead in the US by throwing freebies and discounts at their customer base. Congrats to that.

Sony has no regular history concerning temporal or regional price cuts. When they do a price cut, every region profits, not only the US. Hence, as long as PS4`s overall momentum is matching Sony`s business plan, they wont do shit. I just asume that as long as PS4 is selling like hotcakes there is just not reason to do that, even if their biggest opponent wins the single, but most important market continuously.

I agree with what you said regarding the silly notion that xbone trounced ps4 but just want to point out that sony did do a japan only price cut for the vita in feb 2013 and I can see it happening again with ps4 as it is doing bad there

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Amiibos were up like 60% from Nov to dec
In fact I think it did better than Skylanders and Disney in December BUT that's only really by pack, I.e all amiibo are like one single pack but some of the Disney ones for example have like Marvel or Disney originals and combining those it's way more.

I guess nintendo will eventually get different packs out there like the new super mario bros line, it's a good strategy because it seems to add duplicate sales and not cannibalize

So, basically, if we intend amiibos as single-unit packs

Amiibo > Skylanders and Disney

But, in terms of figurines, Skylanders and Disney did more due to packs containing multiple figurines, correct?

Curufinwe

No wonder the PS+ version was delayed. Sony probably is in NO rush to give even part of this title away for free when it's sold so abysmally, haha. They're probably trying to fleece a few more sales before it goes free on PS+ at this point. I wonder how the servers crumbled with so few players though...

Ignoring digital and RoW sales for that game is foolish.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, basically, if we intend amiibos as single-unit packs

Amiibo > Skylanders and Disney

But, in terms of figurines, Skylanders and Disney did more due to packs containing multiple figurines, correct?

I also wonder if Infinity is including the pack-in figures in these numbers as well.

Game Guru

People still don't seem to understand that MS is only playing for the US while Sony is playing for the entire world, and Sony's already pretty much got the world save for the US. As far as XB1's $350 price is concerned, Sony will wait until March and then decide on a plan of action. Assuming a worst case scenario for Sony of runaway XB1 sales, Sony will drop the price in March. However, more realistically, Sony will either drop the price of the PS4 at E3 or in November. I think Sony will drop the price of the PS4 this year, but when they do it will be when it most benefits their standing in the US to do so. The price drop will be to either stop MS from gaining too much of a lead or cut the wind from their sails of MS's attempt at a second two-month Black Friday Sale.

Nick_crx

Banned
I must be in bizarro world....

why would anyone see a price cut on the PS4 as a bad thing? are you all shareholders?

This is probably the only place in the world where a price cut is frowned upon lol

unbelievable

jelly

Sony is more likely to drop a full $100 when they price cut for phase 2 of their strategy. They might get to 30 million before then but to reach the next 30 million in good time, they know what they have to do and so on. The generation only lasts so long and the bigger user base, games sales, subs more than makes up for less profit on hardware and cost reduction, slim versions will always keep them good on hardware margins.

why would anyone see a price cut on the PS4 as a bad thing? are you all shareholders?

This is probably the only place in the world where a price cut is frowned upon lol

unbelievable

There's always a segment of people who believe that their favorite corporation is their friend and needs to be defended from consumers.

unbelievable

Nobody's defending a price-cut, we're rationalising why it makes sense that Sony hasn't done it.

maxiell

Vita is about what you would expect in its new role as a PS4 accessory. I imagine we won't see anything as bad as some of the worst months of 2014 for awhile, not that that is saying much.

I'm curious about the 3DS model breakdown given NoA's recent decision to not bring the regular n3DS to America.

Looks like Microsoft's decision to bring Tomb Raider to 360 is looking prescient. If I was Activision I'd have a hard time not greenlighting a 360 version of Black Ops 3. That could be >5m sales you're throwing away.

Top Bottom