• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2014 [Up2: Nintendo Sales Notes]

The "two month" strategy is dangerous because if they somehow don't win those two months, they've put their eggs into that one basket. They could easily lose those two months next year based on Sony software, Sony marketing, Sony pricecuts or any other number of things. I hope they go all in for the whole year in 2015. But maybe their strategy makes better business sense. I dunno.

It wasn't strategy. It was poor excuse to cover all previous methods tried in that time not working.

Not sure why people are surprised at slow thread. Pretty much as soon as we got November numbers the general consensus became XB1 outselling PS4 in December by a narrower margin with both over 1M. Only real surprise is better than expected WiiU numbers.

Dunlop

So, you have persecution complex for a multi-billion dollar mega corporation?

Not at all, I enjoy the topic of threads to actually be discussed without people with agenda's against said multi-billion dollar mega corporations coming into play

I have a XB1/PS4/WiiU and they are all just inanimate boxes whose purpose is to entertain me ; )

I actually got my xb1 for this NPD but it was based on insane EB Game trade in promotions that they let me stack (pretty much the console cost me about $75), loving it however

cakely

Not at all, I enjoy the topic of threads to actually be discussed without people with people with agenda's against said multi-billion dollar mega corporations coming into play

I have a XB1/PS4/WiiU and they are all just inanimate boxes whose purpose is to entertain me ; )

I agree there are individual posters with a specific agenda here on NeoGAF, but I think it's unfair to say that they're mostly in one specific camp.

GamerJM

Banned
Do the Lego company get any royalties from the Lego games?
Did AC 4 sell better than ACU in Nobember, December?

If we're doing this, any info on Guilty Gear Xrd's opening numbers? Find it weird it wasn't included in the exclusives list posted earlier since it's cross-gen but exclusive to Sony like Forza to MS.

Korosenai

Sorry if it's been answered, but what are these 16 games?

In 2014, 16 Nintendo 3DS titles sold at least 250,000 units. Of those titles, eight sold more than 500,000 units and three sold over 1 million units.

gtj1092

They were still transitioning (read:recovering from the their botched initial launch). I think NA is a big goal from them now that top console in the UK is probably impossible

Um but I think they still are losing in Canada if Aqua's post from the prediction thread were decipherd properly. US is not NA.

And to your point above the Sony threads are just as derailed. Its just means you are on the same page as the people derailing the thread so you don't notice or mind it.

A_Gorilla

Banned
The "two month" strategy is dangerous because if they somehow don't win those two months, they've put their eggs into that one basket. They could easily lose those two months next year based on Sony software, Sony marketing, Sony pricecuts or any other number of things. I hope they go all in for the whole year in 2015. But maybe their strategy makes better business sense. I dunno.

The thing is, MS had no choice. Nothing else was working. Not Titanfall, not bundles, not kinectless SKU, nothing. Hell you could even argue that the two month strategy itself isn't working considering that they lowered the price again...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
C'mon y'all... we're all friends in the NPD thread.

Anyone bring up Skylanders/Infinity/Amiibo yet?

Well Disney stated that they were number 1 in the US; Activision stated they were number 1 worldwide.

Duno if you could comment, but do we know how much Marth amiibo sold as a unit? Would love to know how many Ninty produced hahaha

failure brigade 2014 final score

wii u 2014: 1,571,000 (+29%)
wii u 2013: 1,217,000 (+35%)
wii u 2012: 900,000 (launch was in november)
total: 3,688,000

vita (+ptv) 2014: ~375,000 (-20%)
vita 2013: 467,000 (-65%)
vita 2012: 1,330,000 (launch was in february)
total: 2,172,000

That's depressing. Especially since the US is the Wii U's best market and the Vita's worst.

Bgamer90

Banned
Price is back to $349 starting today.

Aren't you combining two of their strategies though? Cheaper price point and having most of their major releases during the final months of the year?

Them keeping the $350 price point comes across as the system doing better than they expected at that price.

Still doesn't completely shut down the highly likely possibility that they will have major deals for Holiday 2015. It also doesn't negate the fact that they have many big name games set to release during the same period (which both combined pretty much being "MS' two-three month strategy").

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
C'mon y'all... we're all friends in the NPD thread.

Anyone bring up Skylanders/Infinity/Amiibo yet?

Nope not yet. Apart from w/e was in Nintendo's press release about 2.6M Amiibo. Btw, could we add Lego & Just Dance (non-Wii) to that list? I'm curious whether Just Dance has had any significant migration to non-Wii platforms (even the 360 mind you) or whether they're just losing customers left and right.

flkraven

So, are these the latest LTD numbers we have?:

PS4 18.5 million sold-through 1/05/2015
XB1 almost 10 million sold-in 11/12/2014

That's an important 2 month discrepancy between the two, and the sold-in vs sold-through makes it messy too. I wonder how much of the huge NPD nov/dec for XB1 was stock already sitting in stores. Also wonder how the XB1 price drop impacted sales worldwide.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Aren't you combining two of their strategies though? Cheaper price point and having most of their major releases during the final months of the year?

Them keeping the $350 price point comes across as the system doing better than they expected at that price.

Still doesn't completely shut down the highly likely possibility that they will have major deals for Holiday 2015. It also doesn't negate the fact that they have many big name games set to release during the same period (which both combined pretty much being "MS' two-three month strategy").

Or more cynically its because the PS4 was once again outselling them the moment they were at price parity again, if sales at Amazon are any indication.

The reasons I suggested that the "two month" strategy might not be working is because it seemed to me that MS plan was to go for broke in Nov/Dec and then for the rest of the year simply coast through and not have to bleed money on price drops and bundles. The fact that they are once again lowering the price by $50 suggests to me that they had no choice but to do so if they didn't want to be back to square 1 for Holidays 2015 regarding the PS4's lead in the US.

Granted, we will probably never know how much the $50 price drop and the AC bundling cost them, but I'm assuming its not cheap. And if it didn't cost them much or if they still broke even on hardware doing it then nothing I say makes sense.

arevin01

I assume the 360 is still very popular due to it's price point and well, the fact that its the go to for FPS. I'm thinking it has maybe another 3 yrs before it flames out.

Two months in a row for X1, now it's officially a streak! :)

Seriously though these numbers are solid for the industry, especially Wii U having its best month ever.

Daemul

So the Xbox 360 is now the official king of the seventh generation here in NA? Thats amazing stuff right there.

As it should be :)

360king-copy1.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nope not yet. Apart from w/e was in Nintendo's press release about 2.6M Amiibo. Btw, could we add Lego & Just Dance (non-Wii) to that list? I'm curious whether Just Dance has had any significant migration to non-Wii platforms (even the 360 mind you) or whether they're just losing customers left and right.

I commented on it.

Top Bottom