• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

driver116

The TR deal is the biggest mistake that could have happened for the franchise --a complete waste of money for Microsoft and complete waste of what was built up with TR 2013.

That complete and utter lack of Nintendo representation. Wow.

Lowest selling platform, lessened popularity, this is expected.

A lot of people are forgetting how daunting a game like Bloodborne is to a lot of gamers. I found it to be a wonderful experience once I got past the learning curve, but it can be very discouraging after the millionth playthrough of that first area. Doesn't take long for word to spread. "Don't buy that game. I played it for two hours and got nowhere."

Also true. The Souls-series games in general is really 2-3M people--not small, but not super-high either.

Good year all around.

nib95

Banned
I think the Xbox One as a console and platform will look very different next year, and I think MS will be putting Gears 4 at the front of a relaunch/rebranding. There will be a Beta in the spring to increase exposure and I think there is an itch for Gears that is going to become quite apparent next year.

Could be wrong, of course!

I really cannot see that being the case. In-fact, I feel the mindshare gap is only going to increase in the PS4's favour what with it having a far more solid year in terms of exclusives and overall releases, and having the exposure from it's VR launch as well. I feel like the only thing that could allow Microsoft to keep up in 2016 would be a really aggressive price drop that Sony simply couldn't or wouldn't match.

allan-bh

Which is a mistake, people can segment the video games industry into different parts, but all those parts add up to the same industry, the "core" AAA industry is growing, the "casual" industry is growing, the MMO & MOBA industry is growing.

Not being in a box doesn't make it any less of a video game.

Consoles aren't growing, that's my point. Overall industry is fine.

Maniel

Banned
What did you expect? There were no heavy hitters for the 3DS this holiday season, and there's no compelling reason to buy a Vita if you're a first time owner as the library has leaned heavily towards satisfying those that already own one.

Yeah, last year had pokemon and smash bros (although it was released before the holidays) for 3ds. It's only natural that it would be down significantly this year.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think the Xbox One as a console and platform will look very different next year, and I think MS will be putting Gears 4 at the front of a relaunch/rebranding. There will be a Beta in the spring to increase exposure and I think there is an itch for Gears that is going to become quite apparent next year.

Could be wrong, of course!

what else do you expect them to do? they already did the whole windows 10 and backwards compatibility thing.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think Gears will sell more than Halo. Bigger install base, more time off since last entry, etc.

That is if we know how many copies Halo sold in a similar time frame.

Halo 4 was 2012, Halo 5 2015. Three years.

Gears Judgment was 2013, Gears 4 2016. Three years.

MCC was 2014, Halo 5 2015. 1 Year.

Gears Ultimate was 2015, Gears 4 2016. 1 Year.

We can take it one step further and say Judgment and Halo 4 were both the first entries from other developers and both sold worse than their predecessors. Halo 5 continued that trend, Gears 4 can very well do the same.

Hawk269

I think Gears will sell more than Halo. Bigger install base, more time off since last entry, etc.

That is if we know how many copies Halo sold in a similar time frame.

As I said in a earlier reply, I think 343's message for Halo 5 was off. It was no longer about Chief for the most part and I think the messaging was just "off". I think Gears is something totally different. If they market it like they did the past games, I agree with you that it will sell and do more for the Xbox One than Halo 5 has done.

Alo0oy

Banned
Consoles aren't growing, that's my point. Overall industry is fine.

You're segmenting the market into the hardware, not software, which is where the meat of the market actually is.

- Core AAA software is growing.
- Casual games are growing.
- MMOs & MOBAs are growing.

We can take it one step further and say Judgment and Halo 4 were both the first entries from other developers and both sold worse than their predecessors. Halo 5 continued that trend, Gears 4 can very well do the same.

Do prequels usually stand alongside mainline games though? (in terms of sales) For those that didn't play Judgment (which was many compared to 3) the gap between 3 and UE/4 is even bigger

Halo 3 ODST was the lowest selling of the Halo FPS games for a long time iirc

Endo Punk

I really cannot see that being the case. In-fact, I feel the mindshare gap is only going to increase in the PS4's favour what with it having a far more solid year in terms of exclusives and overall releases, and having the exposure from it's VR launch as well. I feel like the only thing that could allow Microsoft to keep up in 2016 would be a really aggressive price drop that Sony simply couldn't or wouldn't match.

Wouldn't that give MS more of an incentive to rebrand their console the way Sony did in 2009?

People keep mentioning that Microsoft have to be worried that a new Halo couldnt stop the PS4 this hoilday.

Its more serious than that.

In the last 4 months of this year the Xbox one had

A remastered gears with the offer of all 4 titles via BC
The best recieved Forza of all time
BC itself, something that was thought inpossible
A new Halo
A New Xbox experience that at this point far outclasses the PS4 UI for the online gamer
An exckusive "Uncharted-like" title in Tomb raider
Endless streams of bundles of every flavour you could like
Mass market pricing at $299 for a huge chunk of decemeber and BF
The release of several multiplat titles that normally heavily skew towards xbox

And even with all of that, its barely kept up at a time of year where traditionally beats the competition in the US.

Microsoft threw everything but the kitchen sink at the PS4 this hoilday and really the only thing they can say is that the console is doing better than the 360.

I dont know what MS has in store for this year, but any hope of becoming market leader, even in the US, must be gone now. Its over.

allan-bh

You're segmenting the market into the hardware, not software, which is where the meat of the market actually is.

- Core AAA software is growing.
- Casual games are growing.
- MMOs & MOBAs are growing.

I'm just making a observation. Consoles aren't doing better than last gen, contrary to what some people think looking just for PS4 and Xbox One.

RE: Gears 4 - I don't think it has any potential to do better than Halo 5 did. None of the social metrics for Gears 4 are anywhere what Halo 5 were, and Gears 4's only public outing was met with lukewarm at best responses, versus Halo 5, which actually resonated well with MS' cultivated audience.

Could Gears 4 experience an extreme turnaround in terms of reception this year? Absolutely! But there aren't any signs pointing to this doing anything better than Halo 5 or the Halo series has in the past.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
PS3 + 360 after 25 months = 13.929.900

PS4 + XB1 after 25 months = 20.476.953 ( 47 % higher )

PS4 + XB1 ( 26 months ) - Ps4+ XB1 ( 25 months) = 2.919.420

PS4 + XB1 December = 2.919.420 ML

Hope my math is not off lol

I used this quote :

Now do it again and roll in the Wii and Wii U respectively.

Raist

Banned
This is Germany, right?

I asked about any sales data from the other European markets where Tr supposedly sold 25k.

Namely:
tier 1
Ireland
Italy
Spain
tier 2
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
The Netherlands
Norway
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland

It won't, don't bother. XB1 install base is waaaaaay below germany in these countries.
TR at 1M is fantasy unless it's at the very least 700k in the US.

EvB

Sony have yet to use their big selling franchises; Uncharted, Gran Turismo and God of War. I guess if they were losing they would have done everything to rush them out the door.

God of War and Uncharted have never been big sellers in the grand scheme of videogames , they are critically acclaimed and are held in high regard by the hardcore but always struggled to sell more than a couple of million.
Didn't Halo 3 famously ourself uncharted 1/2 GoW3/ Killzone 2 , resistance 1/2 combined?

The last of Us is the first Sony AAA franchise since Gran turismo to play with the big boys.

RexNovis

Banned
On the contrary with Halo 5, I think they did very well with it (quality wise and the promotion stuff they did was awesome). MCC and 4 screwed 5 though, not sure there was more it could do about that.

No exclusives are in the top 10 either so theres that as well

I really do t agree with this at all. I played through the campaign at a friends house and it was AWFUL. Fighting the same damn boss multiple times + horrible squad AI made it a slog. What I don't get is the Order was rightfully dragged through the coals for recycling encounters but for some reason Halo seems to get a free pass.

The boss fights in Halo 5 were no fun whatsoever and the way they recycled it by just increasing the number of boss enemies was quite honestly a horrible way to stage a boss fight. I mean this is like game design 101 IMO. Multiplying the number of enemies to increase stakes/difficulty is short game design at its worst.

The campaign being as poor as it was combined with the exclusion of a series staple feature (split screen coop) certainly does not reflect "high quality" and basically guaranteed it was going to underwhelm.

I would propose that Nintendo's software is massively down versus the Wii/DS and that headliners for the other vendors like Halo and Gran Turismo are doing worse than they used to.

I edit to say i not counting nintendo but yes the lack of hardware sales really kill there software this gen .
Also i was talking NPD where GT is not that big to begin with. ( Have to see if GT going to recover this gen )
MS have the two really big NA IP gears and Halo .

God of War and Uncharted have never been big sellers in the grand scheme of videogames , they are critically acclaimed and are held in high regard by the hardcore but always struggled to sell more than a couple of million.
Didn't Halo 3 famously ourself uncharted 1/2 GoW3/ Killzone 2 , resistance 1/2 combined?

The last of Us is the first Sony AAA franchise since Gran turismo to play with the big boys.

Sony IP are big just WW and not NA .
UC sell great WW but the NA numbers is a small amount.

legend166

The whole "the industry is in trouble because of the total hardware decline" was always a stupid argument. Yes the casual console market has declined a shit ton but corr game console sales are just as strong as they have beeb. It's more Nintendo's problem that the casual matket shrunk no Sony's or MS.

The Xbox 360 basically rose to profitability only on the back of the 'casual console market' that really boosted the console once Kinect launched. Microsoft will be pretty worried. Similarly, Sony made a lot of money on that crowd with the PS2.

I agree the sky-is-falling-crowd are overreacting. There's still a lot of money to be made from 18-34 males in the console market, if you're willing to spend the millions upon millions upon millions it takes to get their attention.

But the everything-is-hunky-dory crowd are playing down a significant shift that is occurring in the console market. Whether to want to classify them as 'real gamers' or not, you're going to see a huge decline in the amount of consoles sold this generation. Being extremely generous, let's give the PS4 120 million, Xbone 60 million, and Wii U 15 million. That's a total of 195 million. Last gen we had around 270 million. So we're looking at a decrease of ~40% in terms of dedicated video games console sold.

"But legend166, you're missing the point. We can't include the Wii because that sold to grandmas and soccer mums!"

Okay sure, if you want to go that path, let's compare it to PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation (I'll exclude the DC as it's very unlikely that someone who bought a DC didn't then go buy another console to replace it): 200 million. So you're looking at this generation being at best flat with one that started 15 years ago with 1 billion less people on the planet.

And this is completely ignoring the other massive decline in the dedicated handheld space.

ChaosXVI

So, I take it we'll probably not get any ballpark figures for how well Xenoblade X sold? Anecdotally, a lot more people in my social circle (people at work and such) were aware of the game and a few bought it, and not just because I mentioned it to them unlike some other Wii U games...

Even still, great to see the industry overall is doing just fine. Hopefully with NX Nintendo can get a few into the top 10 again.

Bgamer90

Banned
2015 was the perfect example that showed exclusives don't really matter all that much in North America and that third party multiplat games are pushing the sales of consoles.

It will make more sense to determine what console will be #1 in 2016 based on third party marketing deal predictions; not "this systems' exclusives vs. that system's exclusives" (even though we have FAR more confirmations for the latter obviously).

It depends. Halo 5 continued the trend of poor entries to the franchise and further alienated their fan base (the removal of split screen was a huge kick in the nuts to the fan base). If gears 4 is actually good I think things will play out completely differently.

Also whilst I've lost interest in both franchises I feel like halo is the one where I actually feel toxic towards the franchise. I could see myself being interested in a gears game. At this point I'm not sure halo could get me back on board short of a complete overhaul which is basically impossible at this point with where they're at with the franchise.

XB1 is not that death as some people believe it is in the rest of world.

I don't know its sales numbers outside of the US and UK but I can't imagine they're particularly good. Maybe not all as bad as Japan but certainly not healthy.

EvB

Isn't that super low for both FIFA and NBA 2K?

I thought those games sold an insane amount of copies.

Also, Kudos to CoD AW making it even if it was an off year for franchise sales.

NPD is US only. FIFA sells like crazy town in Europe

Ryng_tolu

Banned
2015 was the perfect example that showed exclusives don't really matter all that much in North America and that third party multiplat games are pushing the sales of consoles.

It will make more sense to determine what console will grab 2016 based on third party marketing predictions rather that "this systems' exclusives vs. that system's exclusives".

Sad... but true.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its insane to me that money generated was flat and retail sales basically flat even though all 3 last gen consoles dropped off the face of the earth

evilr

Banned
I find it difficult to believe Rise of the Tomb Raider sold "well over one million" when it had a miserable November and did not chart in December.

I really do t agree with this at all. I played through the campaign at a friends house and it was AWFUL. Fighting the same damn boss multiple times + horrible squad AI made it a slog. What I don't get is the Order was rightfully dragged through the coals for recycling encounters but for some reason Halo seems to get a free pass.

The boss fights in Halo 5 were no fun whatsoever and the way they recycled it by just increasing the number of boss enemies was quite honestly a horrible way to stage a boss fight. I mean this is like game design 101 IMO. Multiplying the number of enemies to increase stakes/difficulty is short game design at its worst.

The campaign being as poor as it was combined with the exclusion of a series staple feature (split screen coop) certainly does not reflect "high quality" and basically guaranteed it was going to underwhelm.

If they thought split-screen co-op was such a significant feature for their sales they wouldn't have omitted it.

And Halo probably got less criticism because the gameplay was significant improved and was a large game without many of the rather more glaring faults that TO1886 had.

I don't really do anecdotal stuff but from my experience people I know really like Halo 5 including the multiplayer. TO probably got more criticism on that front because the campaign was all there was whereas with Halo 5 it was half (40%? 33%?) of the package

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The TR deal is the biggest mistake that could have happened for the franchise --a complete waste of money for Microsoft and complete waste of what was built up with TR 2013.

We don't know when the deal was made. TR sold far below Square Enix expectations. Only when the remaster came out did it sell ok (and now numbers are skewed because it was free on both PS+ and GWG). Before that it could've made a lot of sense to take the money and make it a timed exclusive.

Agreed, the only way for MS to stay with Sony at this point is to compete on price. The question is if that would even be worth it for them. I think they will just ride the generation out.

RexNovis

Banned

It will make more sense to determine what console will be #1 in 2016 based on third party marketing deal predictions; not "this systems' exclusives vs. that system's exclusives".

Yep! Exactly. Which is what pretty much everyone in sales GAF has been saying for ages. We all know it's the case but for some reason it's treated as heresy to say it outside of sales focused threads.

Nafai1123

Banned

Both GoW and the Uncharted franchises have sold over 21 million copies each.

Loris146

This is Germany, right?

I asked about any sales data from the other European markets where Tr supposedly sold 25k.

Namely:
tier 1
Ireland
Italy
Spain
tier 2
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
The Netherlands
Norway
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland

Just to put things into perspective. GT5 was the most preordered (exclusive ) game of all time in Italy with > 45 K copies ( back in 2010 )

Megatron

Unless Microsoft and Square bought salt futures. In which case they made out like bandits.

Top Bottom