• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For December 2016 (and the year's best selling games)

Dead RisIng 4 and The Last Guardian came and no body cared

315 and 250

Predicted 250 max.

To put this into context, Quantum Break was around ~140k. Rise of the Tomb Raider opens at 200k for 360/XBO TF2 ~180k. Sure it won't have long budget sales of the later two but 250 TLG is very good.

315 and 250

250k is excellent for The Last Guardian. It's not as if that game is Call of Duty, and the budget for it is not at AAA levels.

That's more than ICO did its entire lifetime.

Seems like half a million people cared. Nothing to brag about, but also not totally horrible in todays market. You're either big or small. The space in between just got squeezed out

250k is what I'd expect for in between. Shadow of the Colossus made it higher on the charts number-wise but sales-wise, it sold less than The Last Guardian.

Shows how much these games are selling that SOTC wasn't on the Top 10 despite 250k sold.

AHA-Lambda

315 and 250

That DR4 number is almost certainly worse in context for DR than the TLG number is for it.

I wouldn't call that a great success for TLG either though even with it being a lower budget niche title.

olimpia84

250k is excellent for The Last Guardian. It's not as if that game is Call of Duty, and the budget for it is not at AAA levels.

That's more than ICO did its entire lifetime.

250k is what I'd expect for in between. Shadow of the Colossus made it higher on the charts number-wise but sales-wise, it sold less than The Last Guardian.

Shows how much these games are selling that SOTC wasn't on the Top 10 despite 250k sold.

Considering how long the game was in development and the platform change I'm sure Sony ended up deep in the red with this title which is a true shame.

Chobel

Color me surprised with 315K For DR4, that's really good considering the game doesn't appear to have any hype or (the typical MS) marketing behind it.

Kill3r7

That DR4 number is almost certainly worse in context for DR than the TLG number is for it.

I wouldn't call that a great success for TLG either though even with it being a lower budget niche title.

How so? DR4 is in line with how the franchise has generally performed. It beat DR3, just about the same as one and ~60k behind DR2 which included a PS3 release. TLG is the best debut for a Ueda game. I don't think anyone was expecting 500k for either one of these games.

COD coming out on top even with that hate campaign behind it? Yikes

Oh they kept their crown but at a very steep price. COD finally had to resort to UBI like tactics to move stock. Something that they have never done before.

What are budgets for both games?

Color me surprised with 315K For DR4, that's really good considering the game doesn't appear to have any hype or (the typical MS) marketing behind it.
I know, I mean I didn't even remember that game was coming out until there was thread here on GAF at launch. Like did they market it at all? It was very very "stealth" release, no hype from MS.

They were wrong. XB1's audience for FFXV is likely comparable to PC's hence the irony in their prior statements.

That is, with your own numbers in the "what if European Xbox market is as big as USA" case, which it isn't. And that is, without any numbers backing up your PC claim.

MANUELF

Banned
What a deceptive list, Pokémon S/M sold more than any of those games but since npd count them as different games AND they are cheaper they dont appear

kswiston

Final Fantasy XIII is at 660k WW on Steam.

I suppose FF doesn't have much audience on PC.

That's not really how things work though. Would a 5 years late port of MGS4 with no enhancements have sold much better than 660k on the 360? Look at the performance of 1 year late ports on the PS3 compared to their 360 originals. Missing launch means missing the hype that drives sales. Final Fantasy XIII also had a reputation of being one of the worst mainline games in the series for several years prior to that release.

MGS5 is a bit over 1.2M in Steam currently, after a full price concurrent launch. Both Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Rising were well under that 660k that FF13 is sitting at before MGS5 launched.

With a 450k start in the US on XB1 (plus digital), and with FF15 performing better in the US than the UK and a few other regions (compared to FF13), it's unlikely that the XB1 version is much past 1M WW. If FF15 had a similar launch as MGS5 on PC, it would have at least been comparable to the XB1 version in units, only with a nearly 100% digital share.

Vitet

That is, with your own numbers in the "what if European Xbox market is as big as USA" case, which it isn't. And that is, without any numbers backing up your PC claim.

Yep, Xbox is non-existent in Japan. And in some Euro countries like Spain or Germany the PS4/XONE ratio is huge

Fdkn

What a deceptive list, Pokémon S/M sold more than any of those games but since npd count them as different games AND they are cheaper they dont appear

Nobody is stopping Nintendo from trying to charge $60 for Pokemon if that was important to them lol.

You'll get your wish granted on Switch I guess

250K is good for TLG. I had doubts that it would do much at all.

FFXV split is better than I thought it would be. X1 pulling a bit of weight, all things considered.

!

image.php

blakep267

Good luck reaching that 2M for Dead Rising 4 this fiscal year.

Ok just saw the 315K for DR4. Not terrible but doesn't look like it'll reach the expectations capcom set for it.
Well the 2 million was for shipped and it's coming out on steam before the end of the fiscal year. So it's not impossible. Dr4 opened higher than DR3 and DR3 was over a million( I wanna say it was 1.2 million) by the end of the fiscal year and that wasn't including PC

Predicted 250 max.

To put this into context, Quantum Break was around ~140k. Rise of the Tomb Raider opens at 200k for 360/XBO TF2 ~180k. Sure it won't have long budget sales of the later two but 250 TLG is very good.

Very pleased to see Trico in the Top 10 for PS4. I was getting worried that #colinwasright, but when you put it in perspective like that, I think Sony and Ueda should be pleased with those results.

cakely

The PS4/XBO split for FFXV wasn't as bad I thought. Square Enix must be pretty pleased.

COD coming out on top even with that hate campaign behind it? Yikes

There was never any doubt that COD:IW was going to be on top in the NPD. The series may be decline but it has a long, long way to drop before 2nd place.

Memento

The Last Guardian 250k? That is good, isnt it?

It should be at 500k+ already. Hope it breaks the 1 million mark.

By far the best game in 2016 and one of the best games of the generation. Buy it people!

Top Bottom