• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Street fighter will do so much better once the update us released imo. You just can't release a game in that stage.

How did drive club do in its first month? I ask because it was released in a very similar state.

Ridley327

Nothing to you in particular ridley but people kept telling me earlier that FE beat SFV by combination of all 3 SKUs. Which I found ridiculous.

FWIW, you only need to buy one version of the game to be able to access all three. You can even immediately go down the other route that you didn't buy at retail at the branching point, provided you got $20 on the eShop to spare.

massoluk

Banned
There is a very strong argument that Fire Emblem: Fates is one game, but the pricing structure is kinda unprecedented. They don't even compare well to Pokemon.

Fat4all

Banned
Maybe, but last February was the New 3DS launch so it is still unclear from which system the bulk of the decline is from.

Actually, that would make sense, but I'd think there wouldn't be too massive of a dip for 3DS considering how well the FE game sold.

Dunno, gotta wait for some solid numbers (or fuzzy numbers at least).

Welfare

Actually, that would make sense, but I'd think there wouldn't be too massive of a dip for 3DS considering how well the FE game sold.

3DS is going to drop like a fucking 10 ton boulder.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Am I the only one who finds it interesting that SFV and Far Cry don't have physical PC versions at all. Is this the real, final end for that?
This is the NPD thread. Upcoming months are interesting. Lack of physical PC versions is a curiosity at best!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
400,000 for Fire Emblem is just freaking awesome. This game is gonna sell 2.5-3 million worldwide, that's insane for a Fire Emblem game.

Yeah, no doubt Fates will smash through the Awakening Sales record.

The question is by how much?

So they are 3 different games. Thus should be counted differently. SFV beat all 3 FE games then. That's like my saying SFIV is sold 10 million+ copies cause i combined all 5 versions.

They are counted differently, I am sure NPD counts the first purchase of Digital and Physical and only the first purchase. Any additional games bought digitally are likely counted as "DLC." Unless a person buys 2 separate copies or 2 separate digital copies, they count the purchase as one.

So when the game sells 400,000 copies, more than likely 95% of the purchases did a single purchase.

Ōkami;198100029 said:
So Fates is a millon seller, second game on the series to do so and should also be the second best selling game in the series.

Shame about it's scattered release, with it releasing in Europe on FY2016 it's unlikely we'll ever truly know how much it'll sell LTD.

Right now it is the second best selling, it will become first very quickly. I mean there is the realistic possibility that when all is said and done Fates's USA Sales will have outsold Awakenings total worldwide sales.

kirblar

SFV's FGC-centered marketing that pretty much ignored casual audiences was terrible.

Which is bizarre, considering just how good the game is and how much of it is designed to lower the bar for casual players.

Sakura

Nothing to you in particular ridley but people kept telling me earlier that FE beat SFV by combination of all 3 SKUs. Which I found ridiculous.

There were more copies of Fire Emblem sold in February than SFV.
It doesn't really matter that there were multiple SKUs, as it is not like the average gamer is going out and buying all 3 SKUs.
It shows there were more people interested in, and spending money on, Fire Emblem in February than SFV.

fernoca

Because it is 3 SKUs:
1. Birthright
2. Conquest
3. Special Edition

NPD just varies. They combined Smash Wii U and 3DS too. They could've combined Fates but didn't.

It is still one game. SFV just outsold one SKU of the game.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
With those very strong Far Cry Primal sales, the insane launch of The Division, and Watch Dogs 2 by end of year, 2016 is gonna be a really nice year for Ubisoft.

That's good, 2015 was not a great year for him...

Ridley327

Fates wasn't going to attract new hardware owners that much, especially with the hardware that was released for the game not including a pre-installed copy of any version. It helps that Fates released to a positively famished 3DS audience, as last fall's slate was arguably weaker than the one the Wii U had.

AniHawk

Explain. The lego game sold most on PS4. The OP had a typo.

my explanation is that i didn't know the op had a typo. the other explanation is that sony is usually lagging behind microsoft or nintendo, or microsoft and nintendo when it comes to this demographic.

So they are 3 different games. Thus should be counted differently. SFV beat all 3 FE games then. That's like my saying SFIV is sold 10 million+ copies cause i combined all 5 versions.

2 different games. The 3rd SKU is Conquest and Birthright + the Revelation DLC.

There were more copies of Fire Emblem sold in February than SFV.
It doesn't really matter that there were multiple SKUs, as it is not like the average gamer is going out and buying all 3 SKUs.
It shows there were more people interested in, and spending money on, Fire Emblem in February than SFV.

Not to mention I imagine that both campaigns most likely did better individually than SFV if you include people who bought the dlc for them as well as digital and physical copies, as well as the special edition that included both and revelations

Microsoft PR:

"The unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One continues to generate a strong response from gamers as seen through global Xbox Live engagement and exclusive game sales.
Compared to February 2015, exclusive Xbox One U.S. game sales drove a 49 percent increase and the total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide rose 93 percent.
Earlier this week, we launched the Xbox One ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division’ Bundle to coincide with Ubisoft’s release of ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division’ and looking ahead to this spring, fans can look forward to the upcoming release of the highly-anticipated ‘Quantum Break,’ launching on both Xbox One and Windows 10 on April 5, as well as the built-for-Windows 10 visual showcase, ‘Forza Motorsport 6: Apex.’ We are truly grateful to our fans for choosing to play the greatest games lineup in Xbox history across Windows 10 devices, and are excited to share more in the coming months on our full lineup of holiday exclusives as well as new innovations, features and experiences coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live.”
– Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft​

What MS has to say about Feb NPD, PR junks excluded.

I don't think SFV failed as miserably as I thought it would. It actually did ok. If the game launched with the upcoming march patch I think today we would be seeing a different NPD list.

It charted number 7, four spots lower than a game that shipped 351K. Which isn't even half of what SFIV debuted at. It's only 1 SKU but that looks pretty miserable to me.

Ōkami

Right now it is the second best selling, it will become first very quickly. I mean there is the realistic possibility that when all is said and done Fates's USA Sales will have outsold Awakenings total worldwide sales.
It'd need to sell around 2m units in the US for that, which I don't find realistic.

Awakening sold on 3DS hype, which is now dead, I wouldn't expect long term sales to be big either.

Top Bottom