• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

jaypah

When Xbox one barely outsells the severely supply constrained PS4 their PR screams from the High heavens. Get outsold 2-1 a month later...no comment.

Lol.

Great sale, glad to see it. So pumped tomb raider DE charted. Deserved.

Just curious, if it was your job to comment on an ass whooping what would you do? People act like they expect MS to say, "Ahhhh, ya bish. You got us this time!!!". PR gonna PR.

Jesus! The XB1 tanked! I did not expect that.

PS4 did respectable numbers and pretty average console sales in Jan. Nothing crazy there but it was still struggling with supply issues.

The next few months will be fun to look at cause I havent a clue what way this is going to go.

Jetlagger

Banned
So when gamers try to tell us that the Xbox One floundering on shelves is not good for the market, what are we to do? Are we supposed to perform some civic duty and buy both the superior and inferior consoles, and then proceed to buy both the definitive and inferior versions of each software title as well? Would you like me to mortgage a house so I can support every micro and macro transaction Microsoft wants to put in the next Forza, Ryse, and Killer Instinct? Should I go ahead and pay one subscription fee on top of another just so ESO doesn’t bomb because that would be bad for MMOs or bad for Bethesda or bad for something or another? GTFO of here with that logic.

Competition isn’t about keeping the underachievers afloat, it’s about rewarding those whom you can objectively assess are actually competing the best for your dollar. That’s it. Last I checked, that’s how economies work. That’s how video games have always worked. That’s why ET cartridges were dumped in a landfill or something somewhere. That’s why Steam sales have to happen sometimes. That’s why stores have bargain bins, why GameStop has used games, and why PS4 is “generally” sold out everywhere.

Eusis

I can believe it
Yeah, if America really was going to be super crazy for Xbox the first one would've been a smash success. I think only a minority REALLY get worked up over "Murica", when you have much of the same software but cheaper and at higher performance then most sensible consumers will go with that unless something about the Xbox is legitimately more appealing.

I can't help but wonder if the lack of BC is a factor too though. Not that it'd have been practical to implement, but in that case you'd have that sort of ecosystem preservation thing going on: you get a new iPhone rather than a hot Android because you're invested in the ecosystem, or vice versa, but outside of XBL/PS+ subscriptions that doesn't exist this time...

... well, mostly. PS4 actually does have the advantage with the cross-platform-when-ported games, and I think the only case of that happening on XB1 that didn't involve a paid upgrade for a last gen title was for Loco Cycle, and that came out with the current gen and I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering right about that being a cross buy game. But at any rate neither are strong ENOUGH to convince people to stay that really want to move, so it was kind of a blank slate.
Honestly I don't think the market for up ports like this is very big.

I mean Tomb Raider has been $5 on PC and very cheap on consoles.

They'll probably turn a small profit, but I don't expect to see a lot of up ports.
I actually expect we'll see more of them in the second half of the generation than the first part similar to last generation, just a few big games that can be easily done or are by publishers who seriously think it's a good idea. Once the generation's further in there'll be value in cashing in on people who missed it the first time and wouldn't mind a collection or a cheap digital re-release.

AniHawk

just guessing

3ds: 130k
ps3: 60k
360: 50k
wii u: 55k
wii: 25k
vita: 25k

something like that. the sales of all the others have to be more than the ps4 for sony to boast that it's the ps4 and ps3 outperforming everything else combined (unless by console they meant console and not handheld).

Curufinwe

ibtLiyj3hpbUVQ.gif

Had to see it in gif form.

Haha, that's awesome.

Any contraction in userbase leaves software in a precarious position. Fewer people to sell higher cost of production software too.

I edit my post to add this part

Mobile is going to take away a certain part of the market but if those people were not buying certain games to begin with i don't care to tell the truth .
Companies will just have to diverse them self which they should be doing in the first place .
Now just for eg X1 and PS4 sell as much as 360\ PS3 and all 100 million Wii user gone does that matter to company like Rockstar they never really care about the Wii in the first place.
Companies can bring out both mobile and consoles games and any company that does not do both or just put all there eggs in on basket asking to fail .

just guessing

something like that. the sales of all the others have to be more than the ps4 for sony to boast that it's the ps4 and ps3 outperforming everything else combined (unless by console they meant console and not handheld).

too generous
:p

Sandfox

The Xbox brand is looking pretty bad right now and I'm curious to see how this shapes up. If Microsoft keeps their attention off of the 360 and the Xbox One requires MS to make big moves, the division could be in a bit of trouble. Of course its January, but the I still don't like this drop.

FiggyCal

Banned
PS2 sold 299,000 Jan 2007 I think. Just let that sink in.

What were the Xbox's and Gamecube's numbers in Jan 2007? Nonexistent. If we add the PS3 and 360 to that it looks a lot less worse (right?). Not to mention how slow 360's were selling at the time.

So when gamers try to tell us that the Xbox One floundering on shelves is not good for the market, what are we to do? Are we supposed to perform some civic duty and buy both the superior and inferior consoles, and then proceed to buy both the definitive and inferior versions of each software title as well? Would you like me to mortgage a house so I can support every micro and macro transaction Microsoft wants to put in the next Forza, Ryse, and Killer Instinct? Should I go ahead and pay one subscription fee on top of another just so ESO doesn’t bomb because that would be bad for MMOs or bad for Bethesda or bad for something or another? GTFO of here with that logic.

Competition isn’t about keeping the underachievers afloat, it’s about rewarding those whom you can objectively assess are actually competing the best for your dollar. That’s it. Last I checked, that’s how economies work. That’s how video games have always worked. That’s why ET cartridges were dumped in a landfill or something somewhere. That’s why Steam sales have to happen sometimes. That’s why stores have bargain bins, why GameStop has used games, and why PS4 is “generally” sold out everywhere.

Go into any Wii U thread. It's full of people saying that you should buy things on the Wii U to support more games for it and to keep it alive. Go on Twitter and you'll see people begging for high sales for Bayonetta 2, as if everyone is obligated to buy it.

Curufinwe

Honestly I don't think the market for up ports like this is very big.

I mean Tomb Raider has been $5 on PC and very cheap on consoles.

They'll probably turn a small profit, but I don't expect to see a lot of up ports.

$30 or $40 up ports make a lot more sense. At $60 it's only really worth buying if you didn't play it already. You would have to be a massive, massive fan of TReboot to want to buy it again at full price.

Mikey Jr.

Tomb Raider DE sold like poop farts.

Do you guys think its because the original TR came out so recently that it hurt the sales of this version?

Lets say TR came out in 2009, do you think the DE version would have sold better?

What were the Xbox's and Gamecube's numbers in Jan 2007? Nonexistent. If we add the PS3 and 360 to that it looks a lot less worse (right?).

Jan 2007

Wii - 436,000
360 - 294,000
PS3 - 244,000
PS2 - 299,000
NDS - 239,000
PSP - 211,000
GBA - 179,000
GC - 34,000

Dunno about OXBOX.

Taurus

What were the Xbox's and Gamecube's numbers in Jan 2007? Nonexistent. If we add the PS3 and 360 to that it looks a lot less worse (right?).
just guessing

Eusis

The Xbox brand is looking pretty bad right now and I'm curious to see how this shapes up. If Microsoft keeps their attention off of the 360 and the Xbox One requires MS to make big moves, the division could be in a bit of trouble. Of course its January, but the I still don't like this drop.
More and more it's going to depend on some of the bigger people like Bill Gates WANTING to stay in that race. The whole idea with making massive losses on OG Xbox and even 360 was to wedge themselves in the market then start doing really well and profiting, but if that hold slips just a few years after establishing it you have to question how much of that effort is REALLY worth it.

just guessing

Your numbers are mathematically impossible in terms of the PS3+PS4 outselling everything else. Your everything else sums to 430K. Your PS3+PS4 sums would sum to about 340K.

The discrepancy between PS3 & 360 this month doesn't make much sense considering both consoles are so redundant at this point. Maybe it's the late surge of first party support from Sony in the past year? The PR with Sony from PS4 rubbing off?

I believe it. Everyone who really wanted to play it played it last year, and it's not really the kind of game worth rebuying for prettier graphics. Not like GTAV would be, as an example.

Played Tomb Raider last year. Loved it. Playing it now. You should check out the OT here on GAF. Peoples loving it.

Top Bottom