• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2015 [PS4 #1, Nintendo Numbers, XB1 Minimum]

Makes sense enough, thanks. It's just unlike them to not have a really-ready-for-this-instant number when they give any actual number. Awaiting a nice PR piece at 20M globally I'm sure, which might be before the next NPD results.

It's not, really. Remember how they reiterated shipped as of September 13.5 million PS4s on its anniversary instead of giving us an actual LTD update.

One would assume releasing LTD figures are determined by the global team, not SCEA.

Sterok

PS4 doing well as expected. XB1 is lower as usual. Wii U is up, and seeing how it's Wii U any good news is welcome. Hopefully it can outdo 2014 somehow. Guess we'll find out come May. Come February, we'll see how the 3DS holds off. It could be a good indicator for how healthy handheld sales can be in the west.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I'm expecting this. Until price-drops or system sellers hit, things will probably slow down quite a bit.
Curious about February, with New 3DS and the release of The Order as a major PS4-exclusive. I also wonder how Evolve will perform. January is just the most boring month of the year.

I'm starting to think it'll only be the second best selling game in February featuring monsters, by a good distance from the first in this special cathegory.

N.Domixis

Banned
As expected, MS "ending" the price cut in early January served as an extra incentive for people to get one in December and not waiting.

Can't believe people are still pushing that narrative. $350 is giving stuff away, $450 is giving stuff away. What a joke.

No, what I am saying is that an xbox one at 350 with no added incentives is not a better value for most people. So now its back to losing. It did better because it was getting around 2-4 games bundled with with gift cards for 350.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As I expected, Wii U keeps growing. The console is more desirable now Smash is out, among other things.

Glad the WiiU is up, but I don't think there's going to be a Mario Kart this year to drive sales once the year continues.

Agreed. The cupboard is getting a bit barren in terms of games left to launch. Zelda will love a few consoles, but honestly what move did they have left to drive sales?

Derpyduck

Banned
They won because they were given away with all kinds of extra games and gift cards.

So do you consider the PS4 being given away now that it comes with a 10 dollar PSN card, a free copy of TLOU and for the better part of the year so far it's come with another free game or year of PS+ at Amazon?

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm hungry for some Pie.(charts)

npd_zps4fff0b6e.jpg

Agreed. The cupboard is getting a bit barren in terms of games left to launch. Zelda will love a few consoles, but honestly what move did they have left to drive sales?

What are you talking about? Also, why is there this idea that only system sellers of the past sell well now? You guys act like other series can't have suddenly popular iterations (like FE did for the 3DS) or that the new IPs won't have any effect whatsoever

ivysaur12

Banned

That's sort of where I am, but there is a critical mass of software now where I think buying the console is worth it (not like it wasn't worth it before, but still). It'll probably be down in 2015, though, because Smash and Mario Kart are system sellers, and there's a while until Zelda. Unless we're surprised with a new Mario at E3, but the timetable on that would be wonky.

DC1

I know that the response "X month is gonna be interesting" is straight up cliche on the NPD threads but I really think the Feb NPD will be a better indicator of the x1's ability to compete at $349 vs the ps4's $399.

The 10 days (or whatever) of the x1 going back up to $399 sorta skews the results for January.

.....(but then again one could argue that Feb's 1st party AAA release of 'The Order' could also skew results)....

My mind is blown by the third eye or Prince...backed by MTUME. Now it makes sense that all things are back to the way they were.

Turkoop

Banned
Glad to see that Sony is no.1 again
Dying light deserved it, great game
I'm sure Sony will stay number 1 for a while again, this month Order 1886 & next Bloodborne

Derpyduck

Banned
Scream Ride and Ori are all they have this quarter.

Be prepared to see MS push third party games like Borderlands, Battlefield, and Dark Souls 2 really hard. They've got nothing else but smaller digital titles for the foreseeable future. Whoever plans their release schedule obviously thinks very little about the first half of the year.

N.Domixis

Banned
Be prepared to see MS push third party games like Borderlands, Battlefield, and Dark Souls 2 really hard. They've got nothing else but smaller digital titles for the foreseeable future. Whoever plans their release schedule obviously thinks very little about the first half of the year.

Sony has battlefield marketing, maybe dark souls, but I am not sure about that one.

Turkoop

Banned

Sony has a marketing deal with EA about BF:H

adixon

Can't believe people are still pushing that narrative. $350 is giving stuff away, $450 is giving stuff away. What a joke.

Do you live in the US? I would have been dumb to buy an xbox for more than 299 in november and december last year, with some deals going as low as 270 with gift cards. And most deals had multiple bundled games. I assume that's what the person you responded to was talking about, not the 350 pricecut from january which you referenced.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well considering you got 2-3 games for just buying a console during holidays. How does that count towards attach rate?

But in January they sold fuck all consoles but most multiplats still sold more on One. Obviously while there aren't a lot of Xbox One owners out there, the ones that exist buy shit tonnes of games.

Last Gen "slowly dying" is an understatement. It fell off a cliff and despite some people not wanting cross gen that's not good for the industry. The same time into last gen the PS2 was selling over 200,000.

The PS4 did modest numbers last Jan. Yes it was because it wasn't supplied well, but one would expect it to increase from a supply limited situation into it's 2nd full year. Xbox One was a complete disaster, as was Wii U in Jan last year and the fact that the industry shrunk is extremely worrying IMO.

Last Jan had people questioning if consoles could survive in the same way they had been because the numbers were so awful, if the numbers here are actually worse then...

Last year people were saying a lot of stuff like consoles were dying etc etc .
Still X1 did okay for the year and PS4 became second fastest selling console of all time.
Best to wait on these things .

Busaiku

I'm starting to think it'll only be the second best selling game in February featuring monsters, by a good distance from the first in this special cathegory.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has some good things going for it (New 3DS XL launch, New 3DS XL bundle, great reception), but I don't think it can compare to the marketing budget of EVOLvE.

adixon

Seems pretty logical that a console company would sell significantly more hardware over the holidays and therefore sell more software than usual in January. Isn't there always a software bump from new owners?

N.Domixis

Banned
Why would it matter? That game came out months ago. Unless by Dark Souls you mean Bloodborne, and I'm sure Sony would like for MS to front the marketing bill for them on that ;)

I agree it wouldn't matter at all, I was just replying to someone about which games were possibly being marketed for ps4.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has some good things going for it (New 3DS XL launch, New 3DS XL bundle, great reception), but I don't think it can compare to the marketing budget of EVOLvE.

Evolve is dropping very fast on Amazon.com, though, and either SKU reached very high ranks either (IIIRC, the best the PS4 SKU could do was 16th, now see where they both are).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
bloodborne and the order wont move a ton but will help boast a stronger lineup. i think sony dropa price at e3, has a ton of exclusives, morpheus release date, and so on.

Top Bottom