• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2014 [Up1: 3DS LTDs, Wii U LTDs, Tomodachi]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going a little deeper into numbers

Nintendo released numbers for all the 3DS million sellers in US (I suppose these are retail + digital)

• Mario Kart 7: 3.48 million
• Super Mario 3D Land: 3.09 million
• New Super Mario Bros. 2: 2.28 million
• Pokémon X: 2.10 million
• Pokémon Y: 2.01 million
• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.39 million
• Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.36 million
• Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.33 million
• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: 1.09 million

They also released some numbers back in August 2013 (those were retail + digital)

Nintendo 2013 3DS LTDs (Digital + Physical):
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (863,000)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (739,000)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (406,000 in 2013, 1.85 million total)
Fire Emblem Awakening (390,000)
Mario Kart 7 (352,000 in 2013, 2.84 million total)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (298,000)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (268,000)
Super Mario 3D Land (265,000 in 2013, 2.86 million total)
LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (264,000)

We can get how much some titles sold from September 2013 to July 2014 (11 months)

Luigi's Mansion 2 - 467,000
Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 621,000
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 430,000
Mario Kart 7 - 640,000
Super Mario 3D Land - 230,000

Special C

That's a very depressing software sales list. A re-hash on top and a bunch of old games. We need more games! Summer is always bad for gaming.

dkeane

That's a very depressing software sales list. A re-hash on top and a bunch of old games. We need more games! Summer is always bad for gaming.
The sad thing is the "old games" will just be replaced by their sequels in a couple months. Well, I guess Destiny should shake things up.

It's the current state of the industry. Partially our fault. We bought all those HD up-ports (RE4 Wii edition wasn't even HD, obviously) which are cheaper to produce than new games. We also purchased a lot of sequels (3 Uncharteds in one generation, a handful of CoDs, Halos, and Gears of War). So the trend continues.

I have discovered that if you really want unique experiences that remind you of how every game you played in the heydays of the PS2 and before felt like something new and exciting rather than an incredulous "what are they going to show me this time?"

AniHawk

I'm pretty late but here's my thoughts on this month:

-Xbox One did better this month than I expected. Perhaps the Kinect drop will have a somewhat lasting effect? The numbers still aren't great but eh.

sales are essentially back to april's numbers at a weekly level. there's a 4k (per week) difference between what it did in april and what it did in july. the lasting effect seems to be minimal if it's just going to be a 14% increase, or at least, probably not worth the loss in revenue to get that.

some people were wondering if customers had waited for the price drop in may and that it was made up for in june, because the average sales week-to-week were pretty similar to april's (28.75k). well, looking at the past 17 weeks, the average has been around 30.5k, which is pretty close to this month and april's, and suggest that people actually did hold off on purchasing the system until june.

Curufinwe

It's the current state of the industry. Partially our fault. We bought all those HD up-ports (RE4 Wii edition wasn't even HD, obviously) which are cheaper to produce than new games. We also purchased a lot of sequels (3 Uncharteds in one generation, a handful of CoDs, Halos, and Gears of War). So the trend continues.

I have discovered that if you really want unique experiences that remind you of how every game you played in the heydays of the PS2 and before felt like something new and exciting rather than an incredulous "what are they going to show me this time?"

The PS2 generation where we got four Ratchet games, three Jak games, two new Final Fantasies and one spin-off, four Silent Hill games, three DMC games and one special edition, etc. etc.

For a $400 system I think the ps4 is doing very well. The price will need to get to $300 before things really get moving.

$400 is not a mass market price for this industry.

The PS2 generation where we got four Ratchet games, three Jak games, two new Final Fantasies and one spin-off, four Silent Hill games, three DMC games and one special edition, etc. etc.

Don't forget two MGS, two Soul Caliburs, two Tekkens, a bunch of Tony Hawks, and enough Maddens to go beyond the launch of the Wii.

The Dreamcast managed to squeeze in two Sonic Adventure games in its short lifespan.

Genesis had four Sonic games (I don't count the faux Sonic Xtreme, aka Sonic 3D Blast or Sonic Spinball or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine), three Shinobis (Shadow Dancer), three Streets of Rage, two Toe Jams and Earls. SNES had Super Mario All Stars alongside SMW and Yoshi's Island, three Final Fights, a handful of Final Fantasies

And all the versions of Street Fighter 2 that you can remember. Also Zombies Ate My Neighbors 2.

???

GamerJM

Banned
sales are essentially back to april's numbers at a weekly level. there's a 4k (per week) difference between what it did in april and what it did in july. the lasting effect seems to be minimal if it's just going to be a 14% increase, or at least, probably not worth the loss in revenue to get that.

some people were wondering if customers had waited for the price drop in may and that it was made up for in june, because the average sales week-to-week were pretty similar to april's (28.75k). well, looking at the past 17 weeks, the average has been around 30.5k, which is pretty close to this month and april's, and suggest that people actually did hold off on purchasing the system until june.

But isn't July traditionally slower than April by a decent margin? And it's not like any system selling Xbox One software has released recently.

Game Guru

Don't forget two MGS, two Soul Caliburs, two Tekkens, a bunch of Tony Hawks, and enough Maddens to go beyond the launch of the Wii.

The Dreamcast managed to squeeze in two Sonic Adventure games in its short lifespan.

Genesis had four Sonic games (I don't count the faux Sonic Xtreme, aka Sonic 3D Blast or Sonic Spinball or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine), three Shinobis (Shadow Dancer), three Streets of Rage, two Toe Jams and Earls. SNES had Super Mario All Stars alongside SMW and Yoshi's Island, three Final Fights, a handful of Final Fantasies

And all the versions of Street Fighter 2 that you can remember. Also Zombies Ate My Neighbors 2.

???

And we got 6 Mega Man games on the NES... Funny thing is, despite all the sequels every console had, those prior eras felt like they had quite a bit of variety. I think that is just the difference between the genre focus. You can usually see the difference between two specific franchises in the genres that were prevalent then like the platformer, beat 'em up, fighting game, survival horror, and JRPG more readily than the two specific franchises in the shooter genre, which is the current go-to genre.

For a $400 system I think the ps4 is doing very well. The price will need to get to $300 before things really get moving.

$400 is not a mass market price for this industry.

People are happy with their PS360 and next-gen consoles aren't exactly cheap, so PS4/XBO sales have slowed down significantly in FY 2014/15 (April - July).

US market (April - July)

2007 Wii ($249) -> 1505k

2001 PS2 ($299) -> 1303k

2008 PS3 ($399) -> 1026k

2006 360 ($299/399) -> 998k

2014 PS4 ($399) -> 853k

2002 Xbox ($199/299) -> 724k

2002 GC ($149/199) -> 537k

2014 XBO ($399/499) -> 522k

2007 PS3 ($499/599) -> 421k

2013 Wii U ($299/349) -> 141k

People are buying a lot of PS360 games.

Platform net revenue - GAAP (in millions)

EA (April - June) 2014

360 / PS3 -> $543

XBO / PS4 -> $293

------------------------------

Activision (April - June) 2014

360 / PS3 / Wii -> $342

XBO / PS4 / Wii U -> $137

Bgamer90

Banned

And we got 6 Mega Man games on the NES...

Exactly, and all of this was during a time in which gaming gens were 5 years at most.

I don't understand the sequel complaints at all. The indie scene alone has a ton of original titles.

StevieP

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;125624453 said:
Of course the Wii wasn't all non-gamers. It was some combination of the Nintendo core, non-gamers, and probably a few core gamers who bought the system because it was cheap in order to supplement their HD twin. It was the non-gamers who made it into a sales success, though, as opposed to a step on Nintendo's downward march into irrelevance.

I think a lot of the sales for games like NSMB and Mario Kart Wii were in fact from the same non-gamer audience who bought the Wii to play Wii Sports etc.

The console market has shrunk drastically in Japan. I'm not sure the market has shrunk in NA, though - it's just that Microsoft has taken over a larger share of the market here than in Europe/rotw. PS4+Xbone+Wii U is still way ahead of PS2+Xbox+GameCube because the Xbone is actually selling quite well for a not-first-place console.

People will try their damnedest to dismiss last generation's most successful *gaming console* with enough qualifiers to make credit companies blush.

AniHawk

People will try their damnedest to dismiss last generation's most successful *gaming console* with enough qualifiers to make credit companies blush.

at least the xb1 and ps4 are performing better in their first july months than the xbox 360 and ps3 did in theirs.

Tripon

Imru’ al-Qays;125624453 said:
Of course the Wii wasn't all non-gamers. It was some combination of the Nintendo core, non-gamers, and probably a few core gamers who bought the system because it was cheap in order to supplement their HD twin. It was the non-gamers who made it into a sales success, though, as opposed to a step on Nintendo's downward march into irrelevance.

I think a lot of the sales for games like NSMB and Mario Kart Wii were in fact from the same non-gamer audience who bought the Wii to play Wii Sports etc.

The console market has shrunk drastically in Japan. I'm not sure the market has shrunk in NA, though - it's just that Microsoft has taken over a larger share of the market here than in Europe/rotw. PS4+Xbone+Wii U is still way ahead of PS2+Xbox+GameCube because the Xbone is actually selling quite well for a not-first-place console.

Why are you comparing the current generation to two generations ago?

heidern

at least the xb1 and ps4 are performing better in their first july months than the xbox 360 and ps3 did in theirs.

Doing better early on than the successor to a distant second place console and a console lumbered with a monstrous $599 price tag is not that great an achievement.

Game Guru

Exactly, and all of this was during a time in which gaming gens were 5 years at most.

I don't understand the sequel complaints at all. The indie scene alone has a ton of original titles.

I agree about the indie scene, but I know I have enough interesting looking console games even among retail releases coming up to be somewhat satisfied with the generation's start. It isn't perfect since there is a lack of fighting games outside of Netherrealm and Guilty Gear, and Japan seems dead to consoles outside of a specific few franchises and Nintendo. I mean, even taking into account the top ten, you've got three new franchises listed there that could not be any more different from each other... Minecraft, The Last of Us, and Watch Dogs are not sequels to anything. Admittingly, Last of Us is a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game but many people who own PS4s didn't own PS3s so hey, Sony might as well reintroduce the newest franchise in the deadest month. Still leaves Watch Dogs and Minecraft as new franchises though.

Doing better early on than the successor to a distant second place console and a console lumbered with a monstrous $599 price tag is not that great an achievement.

One it's Anihawk and his tag applies here. Two, XB1 sold less than 360's first July [206k] while PS4 did outsell PS3's first July [170k]

But PS4 failed to outsell 360's first July and XB1 failed to outsell PS3's first July

First July's: 360 > PS4 > PS3 > XB1

*Unless my numbers are incorrect for 360/PS3 but I think they're right

Dalthien

I was going to point out that this is wrong (unless you're talking about LTDs through their first July, but nothing about your comment suggested that).

But SwiftDeath already beat me to the point!

AniHawk

One it's Anihawk and his tag applies here. Two, XB1 sold less than 360's first July [206k] while PS4 did outsell PS3's first July [170k]

But PS4 failed to outsell 360's first July and XB1 failed to outsell PS3's first July

First July's: 360 > PS4 > PS3 > XB1

*Unless my numbers are incorrect for 360/PS3 but I think they're right

i should have used a slash to indicate i was combining the two.

i should have used a slash to indicate i was combining the two.

Ah ok that makes more sense. I got the feeling you were being sarcastic but the comparison didn't seem straightforward.

The numbers aren't particularly encouraging to be honest. Hopefully this holiday is something of a blow-out but with all the delays, who knows?

So no TLOU numbers?

270k [I'm assuming that's just the PS4 version but it could include the PS3 version I suppose]

AniHawk

Ah ok that makes more sense. I got the feeling you were being sarcastic but the comparison didn't seem straightforward.

The numbers aren't particularly encouraging to be honest. Hopefully this holiday is something of a blow-out but with all the delays, who knows?]

i'm having a hard time understanding what is going to be the big holiday title that's supposed to drive growth for this generation with those consoles. i don't think anyone has one aside from nintendo with captain toad.

2015 will be the first big year in that everyone will actually have something to show (although i expect this is when we see the 3ds pull current xbox 360 numbers on a regular basis). there should be a lot of growth year over year just on the basis that there will be way more software out to drive said growth (because they'll be advertised on the teevee at the very least).

question is, after three solid years of companies kinda shitting the bed in the traditional space, i wonder how many people will be willing to jump in. i strongly feel everyone was a year or two late in starting their new console cycle.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
i'm having a hard time understanding what is going to be the big holiday title that's supposed to drive growth for this generation with those consoles. i don't think anyone has one aside from nintendo with captain toad.

2015 will be the first big year in that everyone will actually have something to show (although i expect this is when we see the 3ds pull current xbox 360 numbers on a regular basis). there should be a lot of growth year over year just on the basis that there will be way more software out to drive said growth (because they'll be advertised on the teevee at the very least).

question is, after three solid years of companies kinda shitting the bed in the traditional space, i wonder how many people will be willing to jump in. i strongly feel everyone was a year or two late in starting their new console cycle.

Nintendo has a bunch of titles, most important one being Smash for the holidays.

MS has Master Chief Collection which I think will be a big hit if marketed right.

Sony is still on a roll and probably doesn't care, although Uncharted 4 in holiday 2015 will make up for that.

i'm having a hard time understanding what is going to be the big holiday title that's supposed to drive growth for this generation with those consoles.

COD shooty bang bang? I dunno, from the releases I would have to assume Sony and MS are mostly positioning that the Sept./Oct. onslaught of games will convince buyers in Nov. and Dec. to pick it up to play those games. After all I do subscribe to the theory that it's the overall catalog of games available and not one particular big title that raises console sales.

I guess Sony has LBP3 in Late November? MS has MCC sometime in November too I think?

i don't think anyone has one aside from nintendo with captain toad.

It's hard to take you seriously if you mix sarcasm in amongst more serious discussion

First 3 months of 2015 should be pretty good to PS4/XB1 so hopefully it can stabilize into a healthier tier of sales with the additional software. 3DS is going to probably become fairly weak. Vita is probably going to be discontinued soon? Wii U will hopefully pick it up a little bit but I have no idea on that one

Last gen was far too long. That is true. I feel that with Sony and MS they let it run so long due to their incompetence at the beginning of the gen. Sony with the Cell and a freakin' $800 - $900 BOM on a $599 console, MS with the RROD issues. Both causing them to try and milk the hardware for longer with higher prices

And Nintendo, oh man. Wii mini was so lttp as well. Really sad state of affairs

Why are you comparing the current generation to two generations ago?

Because it makes more sense than exclusively comparing the current generation to the last one, given the anomaly that was the Wii.

Console sales have been generally trending upward since the third generation. The seventh generation saw a massive spike in total consoles sold that has not carried over to the eighth generation. The question now becomes: is the eighth generation a generation in decline, or is it simply a reversion to the old trendline? I think it's the latter, so for me it makes more sense to compare it to both of the preceding generations than to just the last one. The Wii's sales trajectory covers up a lot of the trends that extend between the sixth and eighth generations.

AniHawk

Imru’ al-Qays;125762285 said:
Because it makes more sense than exclusively comparing the current generation to the last one, given the anomaly that was the Wii.

Console sales have been generally trending upward since the third generation. The seventh generation saw a massive spike in total consoles sold that has not carried over to the eighth generation. The question now becomes: is the eighth generation a generation in decline, or is it simply a reversion to the old trendline? I think it's the latter, so for me it makes more sense to compare it to both of the preceding generations than to just the last one. The Wii's sales trajectory covers up a lot of the trends that extend between the sixth and eighth generations.

if you subscribe to the idea that the wii is some pure outlier, then the industry was declining as of last gen, and is continuing to decline now.

if you subscribe to the idea that the wii is some pure outlier, then the industry was declining as of last gen, and is continuing to decline now.

The Wii wasn't a pure outlier. People buy Nintendo consoles. Some proportion of the people who bought the Wii would have bought it even if the motion control fad had never happened. What proportion, exactly? Probably a proportion somewhere between the proportion that bought the GameCube and that is currently buying the Wii U.

There's a happy medium between taking the Wii's sales at face value and dismissing them all as sales to grandma. Neither one of those perspectives makes sense.

AniHawk

COD shooty bang bang? I dunno, from the releases I would have to assume Sony and MS are mostly positioning that the Sept./Oct. onslaught of games will convince buyers in Nov. and Dec. to pick it up to play those games. After all I do subscribe to the theory that it's the overall catalog of games available and not one particular big title that raises console sales.

while that's true, i don't know what's so different that will have people flocking to these platforms in general. assassin's creed some more? call of duty and battlefield again? i guess mario mario and more mario works for nintendo, but it only works to a point. i'm not seeing the exciting new games for these platforms that are generating buzz. i guess there's petey. that's basically it though.

It's hard to take you seriously if you mix sarcasm in amongst more serious discussion

i had smash bros. there for a moment, but i decided to go with my heart.

First 3 months of 2015 should be pretty good to PS4/XB1 so hopefully it can stabilize into a healthier tier of sales with the additional software. 3DS is going to probably become fairly weak. Vita is probably going to be discontinued soon? Wii U will hopefully pick it up a little bit but I have no idea on that one

i think this will be the wii u's best year. 2015 has a bunch of niche games and unproven titles, ending with zelda in november. maybe they drop the price or bundle smash bros. at a certain point, but i don't see what can bring it to 100k/month when other platforms seen as having more worth are struggling to sell over 150k and 200k a month respectively.

AniHawk

Imru’ al-Qays;125765360 said:
The Wii wasn't a pure outlier. People buy Nintendo consoles. Some proportion of the people who bought the Wii would have bought it even if the motion control fad had never happened. What proportion, exactly? Probably a proportion somewhere between the proportion that bought the GameCube and that is currently buying the Wii U.

There's a happy medium between taking the Wii's sales at face value and dismissing them all as sales to grandma. Neither one of those perspectives makes sense.

then i think you would have to admit that traditional gaming is in a pretty serious decline.

AniHawk

Imru’ al-Qays;125766122 said:
Why? Console sales are healthy by historical standards. The only company underperforming is Nintendo and they've been in decline since the N64, the Wii anomaly notwithstanding.

there is no market leader performing like a market leader from the previous two gens. there is no handheld performing like a handheld from the previous two gens (well 3ds is kinda like the psp). if large swaths of the market can disappear over the course of a couple of years, that's not healthy, and it doesn't bode well for everything else, especially when the remnants don't pick up the slack.

Top Bottom