• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

Emhemed

Really happy for Splatoon, many of us wanted new IPs from Nintendo and I had my doubt they could deliver something as big as their old franchises but they did and looks like Splatoon will join Mario, Zelda and co as regular gen releases (I hope)

The state of the Xbox in the US is pathetic! you would expect Microsoft to dominate their own market like they did towards the end of the 360 lifecycle but they truly made a mess of everything and now they're trailing far behind Sony & looks like Nintendo is finding success in America too, so where does that leave MS with?

MS should wave the white flag and focus on next gen already if they truly want reclaim the American market.

These NPD results are great. No brown shooter, no sports... but there's Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Crash... Wow ! just wow !

Looks like the Switch and PS4 are continuing their domination. The Xbox One on the other hand, well...

Congrats Ninty and Sony... Btw.. The only place that the Xbox brand cant fail and is failing really really bad (Sad)... and judging by the hype, the XBX is not going to do any different. Watch the Switch and the PS4 beat the XBX in the launch month is going to be intense here.

Given the P5 talk a few pages back, does Sales-Age have any expectations about SMT HD's success? Assuming when stop pretending that it isn't going to be both on Switch and PS4.

Malakai

Splatoon is such a phenomenon. Nintendo has many new franchise since Mario but barely any made it to the top selling status. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and now Splatoon are some of them.

??????

Mario Kart, Smash Bro, Zelda, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit....

13ruce

Banned
??????

Mario Kart, Smash Bro, Zelda, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit....

I would exclude wii sports, play and fit those are kinda dead now. They sold very well insanely even but brand wise they are kinda dead as of now.

The others yeah those are sure long lasting brands so will Splatoon be.

Considering the NPD ranking is based on revenue and the N. Sane Trilogy is priced lower than most releases, Crash probably moved a
crazy
amount of units for its second month. Hope it continues to show legs!

13ruce

Banned
PS4 & Switch combo is too good...

I literally have too many amazing games to play.

That's mine aswell love it (PC is awesome too but i can't afford a gaming one for a while:p and i don't have the free time for more than 3 consoles etc anyway).

Sadly xbox sits in the dark but i will probably get one since most of my friends here own that otherwise i only have a few peeps to play multiplayer with...

But i have other things and expenses to do first car license, school costs, couple of tattoo's etc so i won't buy one till late 2018 anyway hopefully the first party issue is fixed by then. Otherwise it will just be a multiplayer console for me.

Tigress

Mass Effect: Andromeda seems to have sold fairly well considering the critical/player reception to it, and then the series getting put on ice shortly after.

Not surprised RPG sales are up considering how many major games are classified as within the 'super rpg' overarching category. Adding rpg elements to what would have been action games a decade ago has led to a lot of genres gradually merging towards one mega-genre that covers everything. Still, I'm not complaining- I love RPGs and if it means more major ones get the backing they need for the lengthy dev cycle required, so be it :D

It's a double edged sword I think. So I like RPGs also and I love them putting RPG elements into other games (and also I like some elements of other games being put into RPG... I love Bethesda's mix of live action RPG though I will complain they are moving more towards the action and away from the RPG :(. I want more of a mix of RPG honestly). Problem is they also seem to do the one size fits all game (the mega genre that you're talking about). Which means they also water down RPGs to be able to be more acceptable to those who don't want as intensive an RPG experience.

Guymelef

PS4 still has the advantage in terms of installbase and I imagine the Switch audience would prefer physical, but I think Mania will do really well on Switch.
Not sure about Forces. The Sonic audience is likely mostly on Nintendo, but it depends on a few things.

I think every Sonic is going to do better on Switch than any other platform.
It's a franchise really tied to Nintendo at this point.

Matt with August being also pretty slow in terms of new titles what do you think are the chances we see Splatoon 2 & Crash maintain their placing in the top five. The only major games coming out are Uncharted and Mario + Rabbits with the later only having a few days of tracking in August.

You forget Madden?

I expect Madden, Mario + Rabbids and GTAV to make the top 5. Crash could stick, but because digital isn't tracked for Nintendo games I'm not sure if Splatoon 2 holds as top 5. Can Zelda stick in top 5 one more month?

Lost Legacy will be tough because only standalone sales will count towards the charts. It could still potentially get to the top 5, but I'd be surprised.

OléGunner;246398904 said:
That PS4 specific top 10 shows exclusives really can matter alongside third party.

A few years ago, exclusives weren't moving the needle much. Over the last two years in particular, however, they are.

Sorry if it's been asked before but are MK8 Wii U sales included in MK8 numbers like it happens with Zelda: BotW?

Yes. Unfortunately, I can't give the split, sorry.

Common sense and financial information are not always compatible.

NPD serves its customers, who are interested in the business performance, and it is most easily measured by revenue. However, I understand that the paying customers do get both the unit and revenue numbers, whereas the public at large is most probably more interested in the former, so I am not sure why we only get the latter.

Well, whichever number we get, it only tells half of the story.

This is because of the prevalence of digital sales like PSN Flash Sales or sales on Xbox Live. And, of course, STEAM sales.

If we were to do a Unit based chart, the monthly charts could really just be a representation of what games had the steepest discounts on the digital storefronts.

I'm curious: is your genre taxonomy public or is it only for your internal use?

What do you mean?

Second question: is that classification info used for some practical purpose, or is it just one (semi-artificial) way to dissect the data?

We construct, analyze and report on sales data. What more practical purpose for such classifications be outside of using them to dissect the data?

A few years ago, exclusives weren't moving the needle much. Over the last two years in particular, however, they are.

Well to be fair, a few years ago, exclusives were kind of garbage outside of Nintendo and a couple of MS/Sony ones.

By this time two years ago, Microsoft was just starting their "best Xbox lineup ever" or whatever the hell they called it with Tom Braider, Forza 6 and Halo 5. And then starting last year continuing into this year, Sony has finally started releasing a steady stream of quality exclusives.

So essentially what it looks like, at least to me, is that exclusives have started selling well again because they're overall better and there's more of them. Outside of Nintendo, 2013-2015 was pretty sparse for XB1/PS4 exclusives, and a lot of them weren't great.

kswiston

It's hard to argue tha ARMS doesn't have legs on the Switch when it's only behind Splatoon 2, Zelda and Mario Kart.

What else is out for Switch that was expected to top it? Arms came out in mid June. Making the overall top 20 for the month seems likr a good sign. But this was a slow month outside of Splatoon.

Matt, I know you said you can't give numbers, but... can we get some numbers? I kid.

My real question is this... any news on bringing this format back?

6. Injustice 2 (PS4, XB1, PC)
7. Mario Kart 8* (NS)
8. Overwatch** (PS4, XB1, PC)
9. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (XB1, PS4, PC)
10. NBA 2K17 (PS4, XB1)

If we were to do a Unit based chart, the monthly charts could really just be a representation of what games had the steepest discounts on the digital storefronts.
Which is essentially what we get with Sony's monthly digital chart. You'll see older stuff skyrocket to the top of the charts because of discounts. It can sometimes create the impression that something newer didn't do well but that isn't necessarily the case.

woodypop

By this time two years ago, Microsoft was just starting their "best Xbox lineup ever" or whatever the hell they called it with Tom Braider, Forza 6 and Halo 5. And then starting last year continuing into this year, Sony has finally started releasing a steady stream of quality exclusives.

Bolded typo made me chuckle.

Bolded typo made me chuckle.

3x6n5Xu.png

inner-G

Banned
Really happy for Splatoon, many of us wanted new IPs from Nintendo and I had my doubt they could deliver something as big as their old franchises but they did and looks like Splatoon will join Mario, Zelda and co as regular gen releases (I hope)

The state of the Xbox in the US is pathetic! you would expect Microsoft to dominate their own market like they did towards the end of the 360 lifecycle but they truly made a mess of everything and now they're trailing far behind Sony & looks like Nintendo is finding success in America too, so where does that leave MS with?

MS should wave the white flag and focus on next gen already if they truly want reclaim the American market.

Their XBO/PC vision could be great if it weren't for UWP/W10 restrictions

If you could play games you'd bought on W7/Steam it would be a no-brainer. I'm sure there a reasons that can't happen, but when you tell people the idea, that's what they would want.

Eolz

Given the P5 talk a few pages back, does Sales-Age have any expectations about SMT HD's success? Assuming when stop pretending that it isn't going to be both on Switch and PS4.

It's SMT and not Persona, meaning it won't sell as well no matter what.
HD won't necessarily have an impact, but the franchise keeps getting bigger, with 4 still being the best seller mainline SMT so far.

Also, the PS4 talk is the same as me saying "stop pretending that there won't be a persona re-release on switch". Let's wait on it first :p

Same for SMT HD, not enough details to really predict anything yet. Don't know release date, look, protagonist, if it's closer to classic mainline or goes down the Apocalypse route, etc.

exclusives have started selling well again because they're overall better and there's more of them

Yep. More games = more sales. Why did physical game sales fall so much between 2010-2015? The number of new games coming out went from 750+ to 200+. People were talking all kinds of nonsense about people going to mobile or consoles dying when in fact publishers just made fewer games.

Same thing with exclusives. Not a lot of exclusives = not a lot of sales or importance. More exclusives = more sales and more importance.

It ain't rocket science. although a lot of people try to make it out like it is.

My real question is this... any news on bringing this format back?

Unfortunately no, although we're always pushing to make the deliverable more informative.

Which is essentially what we get with Sony's monthly digital chart. You'll see older stuff skyrocket to the top of the charts because of discounts. It can sometimes create the impression that something newer didn't do well but that isn't necessarily the case.

Correct.

noshten

You forget Madden?

I expect Madden, Mario + Rabbids and GTAV to make the top 5. Crash could stick, but because digital isn't tracked for Nintendo games I'm not sure if Splatoon 2 holds as top 5. Can Zelda stick in top 5 one more month?

Lost Legacy will be tough because only standalone sales will count towards the charts. It could still potentially get to the top 5, but I'd be surprised.

As someone not really into it, I did forget Madden. It's easily should claim the top slot.

Splatoon had pretty good legs on the Wii U but it's definitely a tough ask, I think it might push either Mario + Rabbids or Crash out of the top 5 because Mario + Rabbids only has a few days tracked, while Crash has a lower price and will be in it's third month on the market.

Yeah Lost Legacy has a lower price as well, but with the success of Uncharted on the PS4 it's not out of the question.

Unless we see a much bigger shipment for the Switch in August I don't see Zelda being top 5 next month.

Zedark

As someone not really into it, I did forget Madden. It's easily should claim the top slot.

Splatoon had pretty good legs on the Wii U but it's definitely a tough ask, I think it might push either Mario + Rabbids or Crash out of the top 5 because Mario + Rabbids only has a few days tracked, while Crash has a lower price and will be in it's third month on the market.

Yeah Lost Legacy has a lower price as well, but with the success of Uncharted on the PS4 it's not out of the question.

Unless we see a much bigger shipment for the Switch in August I don't see Zelda being top 5 next month.
Well, we are seeing some big restocks at Gamestop in addition to amazon and best buy restocks. Could be comparable to or higher than this month from what little we hear of the stock situation.

Also really happy to see Splatoon 2 dominating. I've played since the launch of the original Splatoon on the Wii U, almost passed on it, but glad I didn't cause it hooked me since the first time I've played. Its nice to see with the Switch being a more sought after console more people will get a chance to try out and have the experience of playing this addicting, fun new ip. Big win for Nintendo!

noshten

Remember though that people that bought the season pass get Lost Legacy as part of that. Those sales won't count for the charts.

You have a point, I guess I'd go with:

Madden, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, GTAV followed by Crash

Still unsure what to expect from Mario + Rabbids, but Ubi have been on a roll lately.

There's no reason to doubt Mario + Rabbids. I hope it sells a few million at least.

Easily.

If a game like fucking ARMS can sell a million, this Mario SRPG is going to do at least 2 million. Probably more if it gets stellar reviews. I'll probably pick it up even though the Rabbids are awful if it has lots of content, and isn't easy as fuck like every Ubisoft game.

Crazyorloco

The NPD is officially interesting again with the Switch now. PS4 really dominated for months... It's uncertain which company will have the top console/hybrid every month now.

Amazing to see GTA V up there and also Rainbow Six Siege.

Nice job Splatoon and good to see ARMS still there.

Splatoon is here to stay. Didn't it make 1 million in a week in japan?

I guess I haven't been paying that much attention to NPD charts lately but I'm actually a bit surprised that Zelda is the #2 best selling game of the year so far. With the lower combined install base I figured it would probably be in the lower part of the top 5 if anything.

Switch software is doing great.

I didn't even think about that. Yeah that is pretty impressive. Many more people will get the Switch...and the game to get is Zelda. So I think Zelda is going to be on the charts for a long time.

Top Bottom