• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2010

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
No Transformers is ridiculous. Activision gets a decent licensed game on their hands for once, then can't be bothered to market it at all.

Zizbuka

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
LtD

DS 41,798,158
PSP 17,436,836
360 20,555,886
PS3 12,719,696
Wii 29,540,081

360's only at 20mil even after the head start. And all the people who bought multiples because of the shitty hardware?

That has to be considered a bit of a failure, right?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Zizbuka said:
360's only at 20mil even after the head start. And all the people who bought multiples because of the shitty hardware?

I hope this is *sarcasm.

*terrible

Gravijah

Zizbuka said:

Christ, dude.

Pooya

joystiq has some numbers from Anita Frazier.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/15/june-npd-hardwares-way-up-red-dead-reloads/

Compared to last month's disappointing NPD numbers, with the industry down 5 percent overall, this month's numbers are ... well, they're still sort of a bummer with industry sales down 6 percent, but for nearly opposite reasons! While hardware was down in May, 20 percent year-over-year, it's up 5 percent this month with every console posting positive percentages. The newly revamped Xbox 360 led with the biggest improvement, with sales up 132 percent while the Wii managed to place 3rd, with the lowest overall improvement at 26 percent.

While last month's software sales were up 4 percent, mostly riding on Red Dead Redemption's back, this month's numbers are still Red Dead-heavy, but down 15 percent year-over-year as Rockstar San Diego's horse opus fell from a combined 1.5m units to just shy of 1m. This month's numbers also put Red Dead as the top seller for the year thus far, according to NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

Much of the month's software lineup looks the same as last's – there's Super Mario Galaxy, barely dropping at all; there's UFC and Wii Fit; and, of course, New Super Mario Bros. – but we're also welcoming Just Dance back to the top 10 along with newcomers Toy Story 3 on DS and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 on Wii. Check the full software list after the break.

* DS: 511K, up 127K (+33%)
* 360: 453K, up 257K (+132%)
* Wii: 423K, up 88K (+26%)
* PS3: 305K, up 150K (+97%)
* PSP: 121K, up 62K (+105%)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Takao said:
Americans follow the path given to them by the Europeans and ignore the portable game of the year and the second best Metal Gear game for trash.

Stay classy.
Sales-age threads are the best. :lol

Zizbuka said:

I think the failure part is you using a banned meme of saying hardware numbers are boosted by buying multiple units because of banning/shitty hardware.

Takao

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Final Fantasy games are the only PSP games that chart anymore. I'm sure KH will do OK, but it's definitely not going to get anywhere close to the PS2 games.

Expecting a franchise that already made a bad impression with three critically divided spin-offs to change those people's minds was also a bit foolish.

The thing is though, that Peace Walker isn't a critically divided spinoff, it's not even a spinoff. Before Konami got cold feet it was MGS5.

I'd pull out the PSN card, as that's where I got my copy (although if I bought the UMD, I still wouldn't have counted due to being Canadian) but it hasn't charted in the PSP Top 10 at all since release :( In its defense, I don't believe that chart is updated very often.

FrankT

NPD: Game sales down 6%, but Xbox, PS3 sales up

Sales of video game software in the U.S. fell 15 percent to $531 million last month, according to the monthly NPD report.

But that was offset partly by sales of game consoles, including big gains for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. Game hardware sales were up 5 percent to $402 million. The number of console units sold was up 35 percent in the month.

Total industry sales during June were $1.1 billion, down 6 percent. But NPD analyst, Anita Frazier, is expecting the year to end with a bang and may match last year's $20 billion in sales.

"Given the strong slate of content still to come, and the release of the Move and Kinect controllers, which I believe will spark additional interest in gaming, I think we could see the total year new physical retail sales come in at $20 billion," she said in NPD's release.

The best-selling accessory last month was the Xbox 360 1,600 point card.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...me_sales_down_6_but_xbox.html?syndication=rss

Another down month. I wonder what that makes it YTD.

Zizbuka said:

Stay classy bro. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zizbuka said:
360's only at 20mil even after the head start.

PS3 hasn't caught up a single unit since launch.

And all the people who bought multiples because of the shitty hardware?

Please don't do this. I'll just make it real obvious; we have tie ratios for the consoles. The 360's tie ratio is highest. There are two possibilities: 1) As you mentioned, the 360's hardware base is "artificially inflated" by double owners--and the 360's software tie ratio because an amazing, spectacular, mindblowingly high figure. 2) We "count" all the 360 sales, the 20 million is a solid number, and the 360 has a great tie ratio.

This stupid "rebuying consoles" meme was dumb after the MW2 Live ban wave and it's dumb now. The sales are what they are. People probably rebuy PS3s. People probably rebuy 360s. People probably rebuy DSes. People probably rebuy Wiis. We have no way of knowing which they do most and which they do least, but based on the tie ratios and yearly software sales, the install bases of all consoles are actively continuing to buy software and it's not worth trying to revise hardware figures to account for purchase intent.

They gained mindshare, marketshare, and they're less unprofitable than last generation. *shrugs* If their objective was to beat the Wii, absolutely, they're a failure.

GDGF said:
The portable MGS games will do better once they start hitting the 3DS.
Provided Konami have an MGS game ready for the 3DS launch (and follow it up properly - I'm looking at you Wii launch 3rd parties), they should do fine. Heck, they may even expand the audience beyond the die-hard MGS fanbase and do gangbusters.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TunaLover said:
Devasting numbers for Wii
Why PS3 is so high?
And the Slim effect is really paying off, but really why PS3 is so high?

What universe do you live in where selling 422,000 consoles in a month is "devastating?"

EagleEyes

Zizbuka said:

So I guess the 12.7 figure for the PS3 is more impressive because it came out a year later than the 360?:lol

Rainier

EagleEyes said:
Yes it did. But then that would go against whatever point he was trying to prove.
I stand corrected, forgot about Feb. My point was that MS can't catch a break when they do well here on Gaf. You'd suspect by the tone of this thread, the PS3 will outsell the 360 next month due to no more shortages, and the 'Price Drop / new Slim'.

It won't.

Gravijah

Rainier said:
I stand corrected, forgot about Feb. My point was that MS can't catch a break when they do well here on Gaf. You'd suspect by the tone of this thread, the PS3 will outsell the 360 next month due to no more shortages, and the 'Price Drop / new Slim'.

It won't.

NeoGAF is filled with Nintendo and Sony fanboys.

Mrbob

I think the big story this month is the apparent bomba of Peace Walker. If Metal Gear can't propel hardware and software sales on a Playstation platform, then it is virtually dead.

EagleEyes

Rainier said:
I stand corrected, forgot about Feb. My point was that MS can't catch a break when they do well here on Gaf. You'd suspect by the tone of this thread, the PS3 will outsell the 360 next month due to no more shortages, and the 'Price Drop / new Slim.

It won't.
You've got to understand the gaf way of thinking is very different than reality. Just look at the success of the Wii as an example.

FrankT

Mrbob said:
I think the big story this month is the apparent bomba of Peace Walker. If Metal Gear can't propel hardware and software sales on a Playstation platform, then it is virtually dead.

I thought for sure it would be in there. I mean I do not have a PSP, but if I was an owner it would have been bought.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Man, PW is amazing. I mean, wow. Sony is betraying all of its software partners by keeping it alive.

Frillen

Stumpokapow said:
PS3 hasn't caught up a single unit since launch.

Please don't do this. I'll just make it real obvious; we have tie ratios for the consoles. The 360's tie ratio is highest. There are two possibilities: 1) As you mentioned, the 360's hardware base is "artificially inflated" by double owners--and the 360's software tie ratio because an amazing, spectacular, mindblowingly high figure. 2) We "count" all the 360 sales, the 20 million is a solid number, and the 360 has a great tie ratio.

This stupid "rebuying consoles" meme was dumb after the MW2 Live ban wave and it's dumb now. The sales are what they are. People probably rebuy PS3s. People probably rebuy 360s. People probably rebuy DSes. People probably rebuy Wiis. We have no way of knowing which they do most and which they do least, but based on the tie ratios and yearly software sales, the install bases of all consoles are actively continuing to buy software and it's not worth trying to revise hardware figures to account for purchase intent.

They gained mindshare, marketshare, and they're less unprofitable than last generation. *shrugs* If their objective was to beat the Wii, absolutely, they're a failure.

I've always wondered why mods bother with this, and not banning them straight away for obvious fanboyism.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rainier said:

It won't.
GAF is not a single entity. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't expect that. And lots of us here have more than half a brain.

SaintR

V_Arnold said:
Yeah, because OBVIOUSLY, no one replaced their old PS3 to the new, and A LOT people (backed up by nice anecdotal evidence, let me guess that) just bought one more 360 to themselves.

Is not this the same as "banned console rebuy", which is bannable? :p
Backseat modding is bannable...my ironic post is ironic
I put a backseat modding in your backseat modding so you can backseat mod while I backseat mod

Ridley327

Takao said:
The thing is though, that Peace Walker isn't a critically divided spinoff, it's not even a spinoff. Before Konami got cold feet it was MGS5.
The point I'm making is that you aren't going to convince a lot of people to come back to a series on a system when they've already had to go through two card game spin-offs and a "kind of really bad" approximation of MGS3 that satisfied few people, newcomers and series fans alike.

The decision to put it on the PSP is really, really, really, really dumb in retrospect.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gravijah said:
NeoGAF is filled with Nintendo and Sony fanboys.

Please don't. If you think someone is trolling, reply to them civilly. If you really think moderators are missing something, send one a PM. It's not productive to play the "usual suspects" card.

Frillen said:
I've always wondered why mods bother with this, and not banning them straight away for obvious fanboyism.

During the MW2 banning shitty NPD thread, it started being bannable simply because it was so thoroughly distracting from discuss. This is a slow NPD thread (largely because we got NPD numbers recently already due to the delay of the May numbers, so I think it caught people off guard) and the nonsense isn't distracting from anything yet.

Obviously if something is getting in the way of discussion, we'll give out the appropriate warnings and then start clearing the brush.

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Man, PW is amazing. I mean, wow. Sony is betraying all of its software partners by keeping it alive.

Agreed. The only hardware that could stop the embarrassment that is the PSP is a bullet at this point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As for Peace Walker, I know the PSP is dead but I also wonder if this is a slight case of the American public getting a little worn out on Metal Gear.

Zizbuka

Banned
Sorry, didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a bunch. It was a serious question. Of course, I don't keep up with memes and the gaf elites.

I thought it was confirmed that MS counted replacements in hardware numbers, kinda like the 'shipped' versus 'sold' numbers.

And I just though a console that's been out for a long time, which had no competition the first year, and people associate high profile games (MW2, Halo, etc.) with would have sold better.

Now relax gaf. :D

It seems that with each NPD more and more of the top 2 or 3 games get the lionshare of software sales. Maybe it's my imagination but I don't have a good feeling about this.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I was going to say something about demo units being at most of the Gamestops I visit but then I remembered that the only time they got so much as a look was when people passed by going "WTF?".

Aside from the genre I'll say the character design killed it. The two main characters look terrible.

The EB games I past by there were always people playing. Heresay I guess.

Takao

Banned
Mrbob said:

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the platform on GAF, and I'd say today it was pronounced dead. The game deserves better, wheither that is on another platform that's for Konami to decide at this point.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Didn't see Nintendo PR here.

NINTENDO NEWS: U.S. SALES OF NINTENDO'S SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 CROSS THE 1 MILLION MARK

July 15, 2010

In the month of June, U.S. sales of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 for the Wii™ system reached 548,000 units, according to the independent NPD Group, bringing the game's cumulative nationwide sales to more than 1.1 million units. Also in June, Nintendo systems sold a combined 933,000 units, accounting for 50 percent of all gaming hardware units sold in the United States. The Nintendo DS™ family of hand-held systems topped the charts with more than 510,000 units sold, bringing life-to-date unit sales to nearly 42 million. Wii system sales totaled more than 422,000, closing in on a cumulative milestone of 30 million units sold in the United States alone.

"Consumers continue to look to Nintendo for exceptional value and one-of-a-kind gaming experiences," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Between games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, the pioneering motion controls of the Wii system and the portable fun of Nintendo DS systems, Nintendo offers something for everyone. As we prepare to launch a remarkable lineup of new games in the second half of the year, we are grateful that consumers are supporting Nintendo consoles to continue their run as the nation's most popular game systems."

Six of the top 10 best-selling games of June play on Nintendo systems. These include Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii at No. 2 with more than 548,000 sold, New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 4 with more than 200,000 sold, Just Dance™ for Wii at No. 5 with nearly 175,000 sold, Toy Story 3: The Video Game for Nintendo DS at No. 6 with more than 164,000 sold, Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board accessory at No. 7 with more than 148,000 sold and LEGO® Harry Potter™: Years 1-4 for Wii at No. 9 with more than 136,000 sold.

Source: http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=24520

Takao said:
I'm one of the biggest supporters of the platform on GAF, and I'd say today it was pronounced dead. The game deserves better, wheither that is on another platform that's for Konami to decide at this point.
My understanding of this is a little vague, but can't they just release it on PSN and pretend it was a downloadable PS3 title all along?

Vizion28

Banned
I'm curious to know are the 360 arcade models pretty much all been sold? If so should it be expected for 360 sales numbers to go back to normal?

So what's the price of the cheapest 360 model?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Plinko said:
As for Peace Walker, I know the PSP is dead but I also wonder if this is a slight case of the American public getting a little worn out on Metal Gear.

I would put most of the blame on the platform, I would love to play it but I don't have a PSP.
Just out of curiosity, what was the last PSP game to place in the top 10?

Owzers

Y2Kev said:

Eh, developers should just not make games for it if they expect sales outside of Japan. It's not like it's a surprise that psp titles bomb everywhere else, isn't that why they made Metal Monster Hunter in the first place? What Sony should really do is allow psp games to be in the psn store playable on ps3, if they care about psp games selling.

N3al

I like PSP and all, but seeing how peace walker end up makes me wish if Kojima did release it for PS3/PSN.

There is absolutely no excuse for this poor performance. PSP was fun while it lasted and IMO Sony needed to move to PSP2 earlier than this.

I love peace walker, I even bought 3 copies :(

Ridley327

Plinko said:
I can't imagine this to be the case; PW is the first MGS game since MGS4, which came out two years ago.

You guys just need to accept that there is no hope for the PSP outside of Japan.

Plinko

Snuggler said:
I would put most of the blame on the platform, I would love to play it but I don't have a PSP.
Just out of curiosity, what was the last PSP game to place in the top 10?

I still can't believe Sony is naive enough to start a brand new ad campaign for the PSP. This thing is dead.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mrbob said:

It'd sell gangbusters if they'd release NSMBPSP.

Gravijah

Stumpokapow said:
Please don't. If you think someone is trolling, reply to them civilly. If you really think moderators are missing something, send one a PM. It's not productive to play the "usual suspects" card.

TheOddOne said:
:lol Thats not true, but they are the most vocal one's.

Definitely could have worded that better, wasn't trying to "stealth" call anyone out. My apologies. That's what I get for being so vague!

Top Bottom