• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Cess007

Get back to me when Sony wins over 2 years in a row straight of NPD numbers.

Hell, I'm just glad Sony is announcing NPD numbers now, and that the Sony fan is excited for NPD numbers these days as well!

I'm sure i read this post in an old NPD thread before. So now, i don't know if this post is serious or a parody D:

The answer to 2 should be clearly given by SSB 4.

I don't think Smash on 3DS is going to cannibalize Wii U sales as much as people think. People know that Smash is a console game; they're going to want it on consoles. The Wii U version is going to get most of the marketing right before Black Friday, as opposed to the October 3DS version. Plus Amiibos, which are going to huge with kids, are going to be synonymous with Smash on Wii U.

When the leaks start coming in, I'd be interested in seeing a percentage break down of software sales per platform across PS3, PS4, 360, and XB1. Microsoft seems to like using the combined platform success line, and I'm curious just how much each MS platform is contributing to that software sales victory.

Also, I wonder if there is any breakdown in NPD of XB1 sales between the SKUs with Kinect and the Kinectless SKU.

Here's JUNE 2001:
Code:
1	PS2	Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec	 $50 	Sony		573,296	NEW
2	GBA	Super Mario Advance	 $30 	Nintendo	138,604 / 517,721
3	PS2	NBA Street	 	 $51 	EA		124,594	/ 275,756
4	PS2	NCAA Football 2002	 $52 	EA		121,216	NEW
5	GBA	Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 $40 	Activision	72,840	/ 233,513
6	DC	Sonic Adventure 2	 $41 	Sega		71,259	/ 186,112
7	PSX	Final Fantasy Chronicles $41 	Square EA	71,180	/ 125,720
8	PS2	Twisted Metal: Black	 $51 	Sony		69,806	/ 242,394
9	PSX	Gran Turismo 2	 	 $21 	Sony	  	58,349	/ 2,362,667
10	N64	Mario Party 3	 	 $50 	Nintendo	53,654	/ 315,914
Seeing a first-party Sega game in an NPD Top 10 makes me weep a little

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm not sure if Nintendo should be happy or disappointed by those Wii U sales figures given the the state of Wii U's sluggish sales performance and Mario Kart 8 not doing much to drive software in the other regions. This game is one of Nintendo's biggest IPs and they added a cherry on top (free eShop purchase).

Shouldn't they be happy that their dead console is selling not that far of to the Xbone that has had a big exclusive game last month and a "kinectless" price drop yet only sold twice as much?

Blue Ranger

Neo Member
Mario Kart 8 is Top-Selling Game in June, Has Sold More than 885,000 Units in the U.S. in First Five Weeks

After firing out of the gate at the end of May, Mario Kart 8 had an even stronger second lap. The game was the top-selling physical software SKU in the U.S. in June, and sold more than 470,000 physical and digital units.This brings its lifetime total to more than 885,000 units in the U.S. alone. Mario Kart 8 is also driving new momentum for the Wii U platform and its library of great titles, which includes an industry-best 15 games with a Metacritic score of 85 or higher. Sales of hardware and software in June 2014 were up 233 percent and 373 percent, respectively, over June 2013. For the first half of the year, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by 48 percent and 129 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013.

“These results reinforce the power of the Mario Kart franchise and speak to a bright future for the Wii U platform,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “History has shown that Mario Kart games tend to have an extremely long tail. We fully expect Mario Kart 8 to continue to drive momentum for our hardware and software business through the holidays and into the foreseeable future.”

Nintendo 3DS also had a strong month: Hardware sales in June increased by more than 55 percent over sales in May, and Tomodachi Life sold more than 175,000 combined physical and digital units after launching on June 6.

Looking ahead to the rest of 2014, Wii U has a great lineup of upcoming games and amiibo, Nintendo’s foray into the toys-to-life category, that will help Nintendo build on its Mario Kart 8 momentum. Notable titles on the way include: Hyrule Warriors (Sept. 26), Bayonetta 2 (October), Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Holiday) and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Holiday). Likewise, three of the most anticipated games of the year are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS in 2014: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Oct. 3) and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (Nov. 21).

???? what about watch dogs

so much for the console industry dying, when Nintendo is pulling in the numbers you just know things are looking good for the future as a console gamer.
Don't worry; if we ever hear about EA, Activision, or Ubi layoffs between now and Christmas, they will come back out of the woodwork like the woodpeckers pecking at the nerves as they do.

I'm sure i read this post in an old NPD thread before. So now, i don't know if this post is serious or a parody D:
It's worded exactly the same, it has to be parody.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo:
ifK8ta1ufhFYs.gif

Sony:
iCsILUVq0f1cl.gif

Microsoft:
iba1d7TqBMC9XJ.gif

Congrats again to Sony. I thought they'd need a price drop to stay ahead in June with MS in their home turf. Guess not. And just wait for Sept and the destiny bundles.

It's also neat to see Nintendo show signs of life.

Gorillaz

Here's JUNE 2001:
Code:
1	PS2	Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec	 $50 	Sony		573,296	NEW
2	GBA	Super Mario Advance	 $30 	Nintendo	138,604 / 517,721
3	PS2	NBA Street	 	 $51 	EA		124,594	/ 275,756
4	PS2	NCAA Football 2002	 $52 	EA		121,216	NEW
5	GBA	Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 $40 	Activision	72,840	/ 233,513
6	DC	Sonic Adventure 2	 $41 	Sega		71,259	/ 186,112
7	PSX	Final Fantasy Chronicles $41 	Square EA	71,180	/ 125,720
8	PS2	Twisted Metal: Black	 $51 	Sony		69,806	/ 242,394
9	PSX	Gran Turismo 2	 	 $21 	Sony	  	58,349	/ 2,362,667
10	N64	Mario Party 3	 	 $50 	Nintendo	53,654	/ 315,914

nice little trip down memory lane seeing this list of games

Great that MK8 turned the fortunes of the WiiU.

Now let's see how new games will drive the sales of the consoles in the coming month and the release schedule is mostly known for this year.

Balb

I still say Nintendo continuing to not secure a Nintendo-enhanced port of Minecraft is one of the biggest failings of the company in many years.

Sandfox

Tomodachi Life preformed a lot better than I was expecting and its starting to look like there's trouble on the horizon for the Xbox One.

USC-fan

Banned
How when the new SKU (that's not cheaper than PS4) released during a month without any major exclusives?

People preorder new console sku for months. That front load sales.

MS really has no major exclusives the rest of the year that will move units until holiday. Really the only one is halo remastered but that launch in NOV and that month really doesnt matter. PS4 will sell a ton for holiday/black friday. Xbone just doesnt have a chance.....

Happiest NPD result ever.
PS4 on top. WiiU likely being neck and neck with XBone which means the XBone is getting blown out by the WiiU worldwide.

This is all I ever asked for. Especially since it's a price cut month for the BoneBox.

Are we gamers on this forum or what ?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Sunset Overdrive? MCC? Ori? Forza Horizon 2?

Sunset is an unkown at this point. Ori is an indie game and while nice is also on the 360. Forza Horizon 1 did not set the world on fire. MCC is the only thing that could sell systems, and even then it comes out a week after CoD.

Ajax35

Banned
How when the new SKU (that's not cheaper than PS4) released during a month without any major exclusives?

If not this month, when? Lots of us thought that the XB1 would win March thanks to Titanfall. And lots of us thought that it might win June thanks the price cut. What more do you need?

Bgamer90

Banned
This issue isn't the XB1 doing poorly relative to the PS4. The problem is XB1 is selling less than PS4 in the territory MS completed dominated last generation. A 50/50 split is not good for MS. They have a heavy reliance on USA for worldwide sales. If MS is losing in the USA, how badly is it for them worldwide?

The Wii did kick PS3/360's butts during the first half of last gen. 360 only dominated against PS3 early last gen.

Usobuko

Banned
You'll never get me to buy or play Tomodachi Life but I can't help but to feel that the sales are really good. I won't have expected it to break 100k barrier on its first month.

Great that MK8 turned the fortunes of the WiiU.

Now let's see how new games will drive the sales of the consoles in the coming month and the release schedule is mostly known for this year.

I bought one in July. Today is my first day with it. I bought a Xbox One last month. I'm all set with all three systems. I love my Wii U though. I just hope Mario kart 8 has lasting system sales power this gen for Nintendo's sake.

Top Bottom