• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Radec

Welp

14486698537_9f52c443f9_o.png
LMAO

C4Lukins

This is the first like non launch window month for the Wii u where I think you can say the sales are actually good and not have to caveat it in some way. If it holds for next month--obviously a big if--it could easily best xbone.

It's impressive to me how quickly and decisively Sony turned things around. I mean, sure, for the global mass market the ps4 is a far more appealing product, but even in the US where they weren't even competitive people jumped ship fast. Network effects of Xbox live appear ambiguous. It's unclear how badly the system could have been doing without xbl and titanfall. Obviously the "me and my 10 friends" and the people that use that canard continue to embarrass themselves.

And now for some random predictions. I will inscribe these on the wedding ring I give to aquamarine:

1. Sunset overdrive will be the latest in a long line of insomniac's "valuable self-owned IP". I just don't see the game hitting at all. Developer is not a big name, the art style is just not there for the bro audience, not enough Xbones out there, and super crowded October. Needed to be out in September. It will probably launch with like 235k and someone will post "what an amazing tie ratio!!" And then "congrats insomniac and Microsoft!!!" The same way one would post congratulations Microsoft for stuffing the channel last year.

2. Sony won't update the firmware until fall. No one will change buying behavior but there will be yelping on here. Some will say "but Sony isn't making any moves!!!"

3. The last of us ps4 should debut around...150k? Not a huge success. Basically enough to make it worthwhile and ltd will be good but nothing ground breaking.

4. Mario kart 8 actually will be the lowest selling Mario kart in a while and polygon will publish a huge manifesto on their correctness.

5. Sony has established a dominant position in terms of software. I predict very few if any third party exclusives on Xbox going forward. Still Phil spencer will tweet "games!" Next May and start an avatar feud. Yoshida will make an unfunny joke about the HTC one for the third time.

6. The generation is decided but it will be interesting to guess when xbone passes Wii u. Maybe December?

7. I think this really does count as a price drop and not just a sku change. First the barrier to entry did legitimately drop. Second I'm not sure new 499 bundles are still being manufactured. And third even if they are no one gives a flying fuck about kinect so I don't see why we have to pretend anyone cared before.

1. Sunset Overdrive- I do not think it will be a big hit for MS. But I do think if it turns out to be a great game, it will do much better then recent Insomniac games as far as sales.

2. Agree

3. I think Last of Us will do much better then 150k. It was a late generation game, and I think a lot of people who picked up PS4 are maybe former 360 owners, or PS3 owners who did not receive the hype, plus I think a lot of the people who claimed it to be one of the best gamers ever will buy it again in its superior form. I could see it selling a million over the holidays in the US alone.

4. Yeah probably. The userbase is so small right now. It would need to sell 10 million plus to compete with the lesser Mario Kart games. I think it could pull it out over the course of the systems lifespan, but they need to sell 10 million Wii U's first.

5. I have to disagree with this one. Sony is going to win because they are going to get the best versions of third party games like Destiny, and just about every other third party game. Sony does not have a big announced exclusive that will sell systems.

6. That is logical. Sony is off to such an amazing start. MS would have to buy insane exclusives just to stay even with Sony at this point.

7. I disagree on this one. I hope we get numbers on the Kinectless SKU versus the Titanfall or traditional XOne. I do not think there were a ton of people waiting for a 100 dollar discount without Kinect. Kinect as far as navigation is the biggest thing MS has on Sony. I doubt most people who have actually put the effort into using it have complaints. Either way, it is the perception of the original core 360 system or the 20 gig PS3 which as I recall did not have backwards compatibility, it hits a certain demo as far as price point, but it is a very small percentage of actual SKU sales.

I feel like I'm the only one that felt the new price wasn't going to move Xbox consoles past or even to the PS4. Sure, numbers will be better each month, but the mind share and word of mouth is in the favor of Sony.

Wii U had a nice bump but I don't expect it to come close to those numbers until the next big game releases.

i will never understand why this is necessary

my interpretation is that NPD does not want their numbers leaked, and there are slight differences in the numbers given to subscribers. If we got exact numbers NPD would know exactly who was leaking them to us, and creamsugar would be in a world of shit. this is fun but it's not worth his job.

vague charts and ranges give us enough of an idea without spilling the beans.

Bgamer90

Banned
I want to say the Xbox One and PS4 numbers are probably higher. The Wii U doesn't take up 1/4 of that chart.

Looked like Wii U took up 25% to me. Might be wrong though -- just basing it on how the pie looks to me. Don't have any tools on me (haha).

Edit: now that I look at it again, it seems more like 20% than 25%.

CukilaBanza

Neo Member
Having all the 180s, layoffs at the TV group, and the Kinect unbundling in less than a year is not a device that's "selling well".

Agreed. Prior to E3 2013, they probably thought they had this gen in hand. But ever since then, it's been nothing but damage control on their image.

For Microsoft to put pressure on the PS4 it will cost them. Either in more game investments or with a price reduction. I guess that's a good thing either way for consumers.

Which is a great thing. Because, as we saw, with Microsoft in #1, they were fucking monopolistic, wanting to control the industry. Online fees, DRM, etc.

They'll do better trying to compete.

Nintendo at #1 was just lazy last gen. The Wii was, well, catering to the people who made it #1, and they lost sight of what market would continue those sales.

Sony seems to handle being #1 ok. Unless the PS5 is a terrible 4K beast that requires retinal scans to run.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is "Wii U refurb" the new "360 owners buying replacement consoles"?

We don't know. It could be. Might not be.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest everyone on GAF is all buying Nintendo direct.

The reason why I wish we could get some leaked numbers is to know if this reaaaalllyyy fucking even matters or not. I doubt the general public knows this exists.

Top Bottom