• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

I think people are vastly overstating how good the Wii U number is. Reading this thread you would think that the Wii U has bounced back to relevancy while obituary's are being written for the Xbox One

This is exactly what I was reading throughout this thread.

In what universe does the Xbox One need "Saving" (RE: the chalkboard meme) then in the same page the Wii U and the Xbox One are somehow in the same trench fighting for irrelevancy?

AniHawk

I still can't believe Nintendo tried to get them back initially with the WiiU. Glad that they learned that was a fools errand.

no i mean it's an omen for the rest of the industry. i think nintendo could have tried getting those people back, but they really misunderstood the audience and why the wii was initially popular. it was about ideas, not franchises, that brought the ds and wii success.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
pretty sad showing for xbox one. what else do they have? halo collection, sunset overdrive and another forza? PS4 has christmas by default.

GamerJM

Banned
From that, I hesitate to think they're PS and MS console family numbers, they're both above predictions.

What do you mean? Predictions don't mean much. For that to be MS family the 360 numbers would have to be pretty damn low for the Bone to still have sold twice as much.

AniHawk

260-270k for PS4? wow

expected, actually. the ps4's been doing about 50k a week for the last two months. a big game came out where it was heavily promoted alongside it. the weekly average going up 2k-4k is a good thing, but not out of the norm given the system's recent performance.

GamerJM

Banned
no i mean it's an omen for the rest of the industry. i think nintendo could have tried getting those people back, but they really misunderstood the audience and why the wii was initially popular. it was about ideas, not franchises, that brought the ds and wii success.

I agree, but uh....I'm still confused with how that's an omen for the rest of the industry.

PS4 is almost 50% of that graph. So...that's at least 280k PS4 maybe?

Damn good Sony. If you got more than that, write some of those numbers off for Vita.

I got

Wii U = 83 degree = 140K
XBO = 117 degree = 197K
PS4 = 160 degree = 270K
I think you might be right but the XBO # looks a little too high. That is north of 3x, MS said they did "twice as good as May". They would've said 3x w/ that # I'd think.

From that, I hesitate to think they're PS and MS console family numbers, they're both above predictions.
That might explain it. But if so, what are the splits?

I think people are vastly overstating how good the Wii U number is. Reading this thread you would think that the Wii U has bounced back to relevancy while obituary's are being written for the Xbox One

Yea that was the impression I was getting from earlier in the thread as well. Wii U has Smash this year, but can that really compete with so many titles coming to PS4 and Xbox One? No.

Lexxism

There's a site named and its data is almost exactly what Chobel's calculation. I wonder how legit that site is.

PS4: 269K
XB1: 197K
WiU: 140K

Evenflow

Yea that was the impression I was getting from earlier in the thread as well. Wii U has Smash this year, but can that really compete with so many titles coming to PS4 and Xbox One? No.

Well the last Smash did 2.7 million it's opening month.... in March.... just think what it will do launching in November, and don't tell me it was casual non gamers buying smash day 1.

Is there really any point to giving us families? We already know the WiiU number. After that it tell us nothing concrete. I assume it's 8th gen systems.

Chobel

Xbone is doing >192K (based on most calculations here) which is 2.5x more than May NPD, I'm surprised MS just went with "more than double" instead of giving bigger multiplier.

Well the last Smash did 2.7 million it's opening month.... in March.... just think what it will do launching in November, and don't tell me it was casual non gamers buying smash day 1.

Mario Kart is historically a much bigger title than Smash. By a lot. Smash is still but would you expect it to make a bigger splash than Mario Kart? Mario Kart might just be Nintendo's biggest console franchise. Bigger than Mario platformers. Bigger than Zelda and Smash.

Okay if XBO really did 197k, MS needs to hire new PR. Why in the hell would you come out to imply 150k when the actual # is closer to 200k? Why not just say "almost 3x as many as May" or "close to 200k"?

These guys, jeez...

Apt101

Despite everything the competition has thrown at it, the PS4 continues to grab more top metrics. I wonder if Microsoft's new prerogative of mobile & cloud will affect the Xbox division more than it already has today (TV stuff axed), and how that could influence the quality and amount of exclusives. I realize that the Xbox brand continues to sell well, but sometimes if "well" isn't either the best or extravagant amounts, it's not enough for a corporation in the midst of transformation.

Yoda

Xbone is doing > 192K which is 2.5x more than May NPD, I'm surprised MS just went with "more than double" instead of giving bigger multiplier.

I think saying "doubled and a half" or "two and a half times" comes off as a bit desperate to me. If they wanted to get that specific they might as well announced the raw % increase but they appear to be going to Sony route and not announcing month-to-month numbers anymore.

AniHawk

I agree, but uh....I'm still confused with how that's an omen for the rest of the industry.

i just think it's a sign of what is to come. consoles are too expensive for pretty much everyone involved anymore, for consumers, for producers, developers, and the first-parties themselves. sony's doubling down and doubling down again on the male 18-34 audience to a great effect, kind of elbowing out microsoft in the process (to an extent, not completely).

these systems, i feel are going to be defined by mmos this gen, partly out of the increase of power, and partly out of a necessity of doubling down on this userbase that spends so much money on online subscriptions, season passes, dlc, and early access betas. it doesn't mean something like the ratchet & clank remake ceases to exist, but it does create a perception of who the platforms are for, especially when all you see on television is just one kind of thing.

we already had one audience leave the console market wholesale because their tastes were no longer being served. i can only see this happening again and more often as variety disappears.

It was on a much higher selling system. It's possible it sells that much, but A LOT of that will be to people who already own Wii U's.

2.7 million with how many consoles out there? I expect it to do relatively well, but the Wii had an insane amount of units out.

EDIT: Beaten :/.

edit: Removed site's name

PS4: 269K
XB1: 197K
WiU: 140K

If true, numbers are better for XB1 than most people were predicting based on that PR from yesterday (most people thought it would land ~150-155).

Congrats to PS4, great to see it doing so well. And glad to see all consoles up.

Evenflow

Mario Kart is historically a much bigger title than Smash. By a lot. Smash is still but would you expect it to make a bigger splash than Mario Kart? Mario Kart might just be Nintendo's biggest console franchise. Bigger than Mario platformers. Bigger than Zelda and Smash.

I 100% agree, but Smash is a frontloaded buy the system now game, kart is evergreen... Kart wii opened at 1.1 milion the very next month to compare.

Top Bottom