• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

I think the way "The Show" handily beat MLB on 360 shows two very interesting things:

1. Quality must matter, and fans took the superior option. Therefore...

2. There is indeed substantial overlap in HD console ownership in the US.

The other, less likely arguments would be that there is not a lot of overlap and:

a) PS3 owners had less to buy and therefore picked up the Show in greater numbers, or

b) the PS3 "audience" is somehow more receptive to American Baseball games.

But I'm convinced there is a great deal of overlap.

Dabanton said:
After all the hype it should have done much better.

And considering the rumoured amounts of money Sony has sunk into it,i imagine a few people at Sony are drowning their sorrows tonight...
It just proves once again, GAF Hype != overall hype.

Dirtbag

NomarTyme said:
I think half of the people who bought HALO Wars didn't even know it was a RTS!

wasn't there like 1 million demo downloads, something like the most downloaded demo on live?
I think you are wrong, quite wrong, sir.

Halo Wars is a good game, it's not just a franchise cash-in.

VALIS

DMeisterJ said:
People are really surprised of HW > KZ2?

One month isn't too surprising, although if someone here said that back in February, they would have been ridiculed to no end. But Halo Wars in one month outselling KZ2 in two months combined? That's pretty crazy. Halo name aside, it's an RTS on a console. Not exactly a sure bet in terms of sales.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Psychotext said:
Can update this post I made for Killzone 2 comparisons last month now:
CODW@W - 0.60m in 2 weeks to ~6.1m PS3s.
Killzone 2 - 0.62m in 5 weeks to ~7.2m PS3s

That's quite telling, and of course W@W has sold over 1m LTD in the US alone. What the hell is wrong with the PS3 userbase, go out and buy KZ2 now, or else.

Mojojo

Ensemble Studio must be pretty happy from these Halo Wars sales. Now microsoft can green light a new Age of Mythology from them... oh wait...

Interesting month. I would have thought KZ2 would have done a bit better overall (Feb and Mar combined). Not that it did badly, just it could have done better.
No Chinatown Wars either? ...the fuck?

I'm now waiting for the gamasutra articles:D

cjelly said:
To be fair, this is probably the first time a console RTS has been done 'right'; or rather, to the best that the control limitations can allow.

huh? if Wars was exactly the same game minus the Halo licence it would have sold 50K. controls have nothing to do with it.

i cant wait for Halo Wars 2 and the inevitable CoD RTS now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
godhandiscen said:
halowars.jpg

you know what to do. ;-)

I do, but I don't dare.

Can't we just all get along?

500 errors for two or three minutes straight on a forum this big, because of sales numbers. Not that I don't appreciate them, but wow. :lol

Chairman Yang said:
Series installments tend to be heavily influenced by their predecessor games. RE4 was probably negatively influenced by RE3, RE5 is positively influenced by RE4. It's a similar situation with the MGS games--MGS3 suffered because of MGS2's reception, and MGS4 benefited because of MGS3.
I agree with this post.

Goldrusher

Killzone 2 is a pretty hardcore title, while Halo is played by pretty much anyone on 360, which has a much, much bigger install base too.

So Killzone 2 selling roughly the same is impressive.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Zing! :lol

Seriously though 300k is right around what I expected for KZ2 for March. I think Sony should be fairly satisfied with these numbers.

600k for what is in all likelihood one of the most expensive, over hyped games ever made?

BigBoss

poppabk said:
I don't own a 360 or a PS3 and have no vested interest in this at all, but it seems ridiculous that people are whooping up 938k as amazing and at the same time 600k is supposed to be a bomba.

Every PS3 exclusive is a bomba no matter what it sells, these same tards were calling a MGS4 a bomba as well.

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag said:
perspective.
A console RTS with "Halo" in the title.

Perspective. :p

But aside from comparing two entirely different games, on different install bases, it's hard not to be surprised at how low Killzone 2 sales are overall, not to mention PS3 sales. It didn't move hardware, and while it sold pretty well, it's no smash hit.

The price point is just killing the PS3. Still.

legend166

Hardware sales down across the board. Will be interesting to get the dollar figures compared to last month/last year. Wonder if the economy is finally catching up. Doesn't seem to be phasing software sales though.

jett

D-Member
AltogetherAndrews said:
You can't be serious. I mean, relative to other PS3 exclusives and various 3rd party games, sure, it's doing fine. But this was a major release which cost I don't know how much to develop, and this is the result in the most FPS happy region? Bad call to launch it with nearly no marketing, but seriously.

I don't really see the big problem. Killzone just doesn't have the brand awareness other franchises do. 600k in 5 weeks is fine for KZ2. Probably won't have much legs after this month though...who knows.

Aquanox

Wow that's some low KZ2 sales.

RE5 did brilliantly, especially on Xbox 360 (almost doubling PS3)

Halo Wars also did a great job considering it's an RTS.

Doodis said:
Wow. Much lower hardware sales than I expected. Killzone 2 makes it back into the top 10, but is beaten by Halo Wars. Let the fanboy flames commence.
Killzone 2 never left the top ten, and too many new releases for SFIV to hold any ground. Amazing RE5 numbers, it truly is the year of Capcom :D. Actually software across the board sold great as those numbers make it look like a fall month not mid spring. The PS3 is dying a slow death
unfortunately

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Captain Smoker said:
Software LTD's:

[WII] Wii Play: 10.480.000
[WII] Wii Fit: 6.490.000
[WII] Mario Kart Wii: 5.830.000

[PS3] Killzone 2: 619.000
Hang on, Wii Fit has sold almost as many units as the PS3 in the US? Fuck.

Also remember all the jackasses in the RE 5 Demo threads that said the Demo would reduce sales for it because it was so awful.

You look like this now.

teahat-542.jpg

joey_z

Banned
Rapping Granny said:

You're comparing three well regarded games from different genres. It makes no sense.

Speaking of Killzone 2, if the hype machine that was said game couldn't help boost PS3 sales or even manage relatively successful sales itself, then Sony needs to seriously fire their advertising unit. If not then they might as well raise the white flags.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I think the way "The Show" handily beat MLB on 360 shows two very interesting things:

The other, less likely arguments would be that there is not a lot of overlap and:

a) PS3 owners had less to buy and therefore picked up the Show in greater numbers, or

Of course, I own a PS3 and 360. Of the top ten. I got Halo Wars, RE5 for the 360, KZ2 last month and MLB The Show. The Show is just the greatest sports franchise out there that is why people are enamored with it. It is quality and it shows.

Sadist

Man, this officialy means game-over for Sony in America. Even with Resident Evil 5 and Killzone 2 there is no growth. Damn, thats just crazy.

Stillmatic

VALIS said:
As I said earlier, yes, Halo Wars in March outsold the KZ2 sales of Feb/March combined.

360 also the only console not down YoY.

KZ2 was only out a couple of days in Feb, so really they sold pretty closely for around the same amount of time. I think it's safe to say both sold pretty well.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

c) Console Owners interested in MLB games are willing to pay money for a good baseball game and not a poor one.

I'm sure there is some overlap, but I think this is just a case of a good game outselling a bad game.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ghst said:
600k for what is in all likelihood one of the most expensive, over hyped games ever made?
Yep, wasn't Killzone 2 mentioned to be the most expensive game of the generation?

Top Bottom