• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Megatron

Considering that a) Microsoft fired off pretty much all of their big guns this side of November, PS4 outselling the Xbone by anything is big news and b) the difference last month was 10k.

It wasn't 10k, it was 10% wasn't it? It would only be 10k if only 100k PS4s were osld and the number was much more than that?

harSon

Banned
I think Microsoft's problem has been the fact that they keep getting pushed against the wall in every consumer electronics market they try to break into. Why can't they bring their A game to start with?

Because successful companies tend to become complacent, greedy and starved of innovation, and only once their smacked down to Earth and humbled do they become forward thinking and inherently consumer friendly. Microsoft suffers from it. Sony suffered from it after two generations of unrivaled domination. There's a reason why a lot of 3rd party game developers (EA, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc.) swing in and out of consumer's good graces.

There's a difference between preference for having a first place system with profitable revenue stream over having a second place system that provides profitable revenue stream. And willingness to sink further large sums of money into having a first place system, that may no longer provide a profitable revenue stream.

Microsoft are shitting themselves since the XBL cash cow is becoming the PS+ cash cow and if they don't reverse that they are fucked.
I don't know if there's much to suggest that Gold subscriptions are converting to PS+ subscriptions.
Are 3DS sales so bad Nintendo can't even spin something positive there?
The silence would make one presume that it's down year-over-year.

antitrop

harSon...pls.

rtFnC3B.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So is this good for Titanfall/the Titanfall franchise? Or will we not know until we get specific numbers?

Seems like EA and MS have a lot invested into it, and if its doing good I'm sure Sony and Respawn would love to make it multiplatform. Seems like a contentious IP.

Spinluck

Quick Questions:

1. How many consoles have sold at this pace?

2. What's the estimated time for the PS4 to be profitable?

This was a great month for games. I think MS needs to step it up in the US since it's one of the few places they can actually compete with Sony. EA should rethink some of their business decisions, there was no way Titanfall ever had a chance of even beating Battlefield by going console exclusive. Let alone CoD.

This is also really good for Infamous, as it will become much bigger than it has ever been over this generation. Shame that Shadow Fall fell short on delivery. The Killzone series should be put to rest for now (the MP was fun though).

USC-fan

Banned
Wow is all I can say. Titanfall just wasnt a system seller that ms hope for.

Guess everyone should have knew something was up with the titanfall bundle firesales.

N.Domixis

Banned
We can finally put to rest that somehow xbox one would catch up to ps4. There is no catching up to THE psmofo. This gen has been decided. Good luck nextgen MS.

look back at those days and how much money they actually made as a company and how much they make now.

PS4 is sold out in half of the europe today, they certainly wont be dropping the price just to win forum war, it makes no sense, their sales would not go up - they dont have production for it.

They are keeping PS3 at $270, and you think they will drop PS4 to $349.

Thats just ridicilous.
We are not talking about a price drop tomorrow. We are talking about this year. PS4 wont be selling out still by then, If MS drop the price to $399, Sony will drop price to maintain their advantage.

Mikey Jr.

You know what?

That Watchdogs delay was probably a blessing in disguise for Sony.

Sony would not have been able to sell any more of their system during launch. Now that they are getting stock back in, BAM! Watchdogs. I know its multiplat, but it is shown as a PS4 game. Being demoed with a PS4, and exclusive content.

Then after that, BAM! Destiny. Same thing. Demoed with a PS4, early access to the beta, and exclusive content.

Also, indie games peppered through to keep you going from AAA to AAA. (Transistor soon fuck yeah!!!!111)

So yeah, Sony is in a fucking amazing position for the rest of the year.

Nzyme32

So ps4 still outsold Xbox one despite the Titan fall bundle and price drops? And in the US? Are you kidding me?

So they blew their only chance of leading this year basically. Gotta give it to Sony man. This is some ps2 stuff right here

I think it is ridiculous that some though titanfall - a game that is also available on the PC and 360, would have some sort of significantly large effect on shifting Xbox one machines. If it had been an exclusive title, perhaps it would have been a different story. As far as I can see, its like windows xp, people are happy to keep playing with the 360 but still have no reason to move to the Xbox one. Instead, they do see competitors as alternatives to some degree

Navy Bean

Agree with those that say Microsoft deserves this beating. Just too many awful choices and decisions in launching the X1. And this coming from someone who loves his X1 and Titanfall. Also own a PS4 but simply don't like it or play it as much - however that will change in the coming months. Microsoft was just stupid and arrogant with a terrible plan. They need to drop the price and drop Kinect.

hawk2025

How do the monthly sales actually tracked compared to the 360?

Note that I don't mean the total stock of sales so far, but the actual sales of first January compared to first January, first February compared to first February, etc?

Atlas157

You know what?

Sony would not have been able to sell any more of their system during launch. Now that they are getting stock back in, BAM! Watchdogs. I know its multiplat, but it is shown as a PS4 game. Being demoed with a PS4, and exclusive content.

Then after that, BAM! Destiny. Same thing. Demoed with a PS4, early access to the beta, and exclusive content.

Also, indie games peppered through to keep you going from AAA to AAA. (Transistor soon fuck yeah!!!!111)

Don't forget about The Last of Us, MLB The Show, The Order, and Uncharted 4.
Believe.

I truly don't think this changes E3 too much for either company. Both have been planning their approaches for months. Perhaps this forces MS' hand on a true price drop and permanent bundle though

Pretty sure that's how Sony designed the Vita.

How dare you blaspheme the Vita so?

Sony really has Microsoft in a vice strategically right now. All they need to do is clamp them hard at E3 and maybe throw in one or two major surprises, snap that to the back of a string of games that are either potentially big and have exclusive marketing deals/content on them (Watch Dogs), but other genuine exclusives that are either fairly big or promising and a beast variety of indie games like Transistor.

I really don't know what Microsoft can do to respond, since I don't think they're ready to drop Kinect just yet.

Yep, it isn't all doom and gloom for MS...but they are going to be in for a very long and rough road. They are quite honestly screwed for the remainder of this year, regardless of what they do at E3.

Kinect was supposed to be the selling difference, as expected it isn't doing that job at all. I prefer the DS4's touchpad compared to waving and talking to the Kinect. I'll eventually pick up a X1 when it is around $249-299 and has a massive library, basically another two years.

Yeah MS has a heck of a problem on their hands.

Titanfall. Advertisements everywhere! Crazy bundles and price cuts left and right. Fresh stock flowing like wine with not a shortage in sight.

Clearly a price drop is coming at E3. I expect some crazy moneyhats as well. I hope its nothing I want because that will bum me out I guess. Microsoft executive Panic mode is officially activated!

After all the bundles and price cuts I think price is not the issue. They still have a image problem after the year of shit. It will take a lot of work and a lot of time for people to get over that. Same thing happened to Sony with the PS3. Wasnt until the Slim and a brand relaunch that it really came back.

Also LOL at the Kevin D tweets from earlier and the polygon people doing what they do. We are going to have years of that!

harSon

Banned
harSon...pls.

How about engaging an argument with some depth of your own? There's a difference between consumers winning and the company at hand winning. Sometimes both come out ahead, and sometimes only one of the two do. It's possible for a company to put out a thoroughly quality product that consumers enjoy (or those that actually purchase it), while simultaneously not seeing a return on their investment. The Zune HD was such an investment. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue at this point. The device reviewed well across the board, but failed to carve out a meaningful marketshare. It was a critical success and a sales failure.

N.Domixis

Banned
You know what?

Dont forget the new assassins creed and new batman game. Its lie very company not EA is partnered with ps4. MS putt everything they had into the EA partnership and failed.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I truly don't think this changes E3 too much for either company. Both have been planning their approaches for months. Perhaps this forces MS' hand on a true price drop and permanent bundle though

How dare you blaspheme the Vita so?

Thou shall not speak the Vita's name in vain.

Top Bottom