• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

allan-bh

Whatever term you use the Xbone is a huge disappointment. We'll have to see but I feel confident it will fall well short of the 360s lifetime sales in the US. Worldwide it won't Ben be a contest. Meanwhile their main competitor has seen a massive growth in market share.

It's an awful position to be in. They're going backwards in market share and not really making much if any money. On the other hand Sony is in a fantastic position and I can only see things moving further in their favour.

It may not be a jaguar level failure but I still think disaster is a pretty accurate term. It looked like MS had the potential to be the market leader. Now they're a distant second with quite a poor outlook IMO. They've went from making significant profits to not making any as well.

I don't know where they go from here. If the NX performs well I feel that only makes the situation worse.

Second place selling better than 360 at the same point is an awful position and a disaster. WOW... ok.

And how exacly you know that Xbox One is making less money than 360 or even that is not profitable?

Why is so hard to believe? It's a well-known IP with great reviews on a platform with large install base that has not had a big exclusive in a while. Plus it is $40...I think people are underestimating how much that might help sales. And as I predicted I think it is benefiting greatly from the latest Uncharted 4 delay.

Avatar bet? I'm getting close to proposing one!

Wait until Monday to make bets. UK charts should be out then.

Boke1879

I have no doubt in my mind that R&C is going to sell better than QB.

I'm going to wait a bit before I go ahead and say that. But based on MS wording of QB so far we'll see. I can see R&C getting a lot of impulse buyers based on reviews and WOM. The price helps it out a ton as well. Hell I'm even thinking about picking it up. Only reason I haven't yet is because I have a huge backlog. But the hype is even starting to get to me now lol.

Bgamer90

Banned
Second place selling better than 360 at the same point is an awful position and a disaster. WOW... ok.

And how exacly you know that Xbox One is making less money than 360 or even that is not profitable?

If we are talking about NPD, MS hasn't lost percentage of US consoles sold. Nintendo has dropped so much from Wii to the Wii U that the Xbox One actually makes up a higher percentage of current gen consoles in US than the 360 did around this same point last gen -- 35% vs. 39% I believe.

Sony gained a lot of ground here and Nintendo lost a lot (a whole lot).

hawk2025

who wants to make some avatar bets with me about Ratchet & Clank?

If the punishment is a Ratchet avatar, I'm in!

...Please tell me this means first week sales have been surprisingly good?

Ratchet sold out on Amazon, I went to Best Buy today and they only had two copies. Target had more.

I don't think it will top Dark Souls 3 for the month, but I would not be surprised if it's way up there. Perhaps above Quantum Break, even.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey guys. I'm not in that bet, but can i decide the avatar of who lose? :p

685687.gif

I'll take one for the team and totally make a bet.

It's practically a win-win situation as a Ratchet fan.

Edit: Just saw Ryng_tolu's post. Ummm.. Someone else please take one for the team.

hawk2025

Thinking about it, they had good advertising and want to push the movie, and still seem to be having mild stock issues. I'm guessing it did not have a small initial shipment, which would indicate strong sales.

Perhaps the lower price + great reviews made it something of a perfect storm? Even with the Dark Souls 3 release?

I think it'll go over 100k, but not 200k.

yeah im just pessimistic, the movie should help ratchet do much better than its ps3 series debut wise among other factors (price, ps4 base)

maybe something like 150k is the most i'd expect

edit- I still fully expect qb to debut better

freefornow

Gold Member
I'll take one for the team and totally make a bet.

It's practically a win-win situation as a Ratchet fan.

Edit: Just saw Ryng_tolu's post. Ummm.. Someone else please take one for the team.

Im in. I dont have an avatar and as permanent junior, i have no face to save.

QB to outsell R&C in April NPD. And icing on the bet, R&C wont make top 10.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
R&C is one olafoem, but console only sales, R&C will beat QB. On Amazon for April, R&C is like #2 and QB is like #8.

$40 and better reviews...

#TeamRatchet

It looked like MS had the potential to be the market leader. Now they're a distant second with quite a poor outlook IMO.

I don't know where they go from here. If the NX performs well I feel that only makes the situation worse.

Talking about how Microsoft has such a poor outlook with the tack on that Nintendo could make the situation worse, the same Nintendo that was absolutely dominant for a period of years during the last gen and whose latest console has certainly disappointed, far more than the Xbox One, is just a tad ironic, no?

Javin98

Banned
So this page alone has been pretty interesting! We making a bet, bruhs? Can I join? I say that R&C will beat Quantum Break. But I sure hope Rygn_tolu doesn't get to pick the avatar. :p

Bgamer90

Banned
I think things will be too close for Ratchet and Clank vs. Quantum Break for me to want to make a bet. I have the digital versions of both games too so I wouldn't even count. :)

Talking about how Microsoft has such a poor outlook with the tack on that Nintendo could make the situation worse, the same Nintendo that was absolutely dominant for a period of years during the last gen and whose latest console has certainly disappointed, far more than the Xbox One, is just a tad ironic, no?

Yeah... I don't understand it either; Isn't the first time I've seen similar statements. Xbox has solid third party support, Nintendo doesn't. Yet Microsoft needs to really look out for NX? Ehh.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah... I don't understand it either; Isn't the first time I've seen similar statements. Xbox has solid third party support, Nintendo doesn't. Yet Microsoft needs to really look out for NX? Ehh.
Personally, I think some people, especially Nintendo fanboys, expect the NX to perform much better than it realistically should. Most of them even seem to think (and probably hope) of it as Nintendo's big comeback.

donny2112

Guys, people have different tastes as to what interests them, and tastes can change over time. We've gone into a more private area of tastes, but still, the world has lots of variety. Don't need to keep going on about it
("But your post is going on about it!" I've been waiting for a couple of pages now for it to die, and it hasn't, so felt like saying something.)

----------------

Glad to have lots of good numbers this month! Even got Vita, PS3, 360, and Wii (wow that was low). It's a smorgasboard! Surprising Wii U software sales ranking, moreso in that it's not quite.dead.yet., with the #3 and #4 titles on a per SKU basis behind the two The Divisions. Would love to see some FE sales, but I'm okay waiting for a LTD in a few months or so. Hoping it continues to do well, 3DS RPGs have a great year, and 3DS continues to surprise monthly
watch 3DS crash next month now (-_-)
!

Ivan 3414

Personally, I think some people, especially Nintendo fanboys, expect the NX to perform much better than it realistically should. Most of them even seem to think (and probably hope) of it as Nintendo's big comeback.

What is "realistic" for a console we have absolutely no concrete facts about.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I think things will be too close for Ratchet and Clank vs. Quantum Break for me to want to make a bet. I have the digital versions of both games too so I wouldn't even count. :)

Well, Yes, a new console always has the potential of catching fire and naturally the weaker of the mix will suffer the most. Wii U apart, that's the Xbox One.

Javin98

Banned
What is "realistic" for a console we have absolutely no concrete facts about.
To be honest, the lack of concrete facts is the reason why we shouldn't even be predicting the NX's sales now, but some have already jumped to conclusions that it will be a threat to the PS4 and XB1.

I don't like to use Amazon to compare software numbers ( just look at Zelda and The Division difference in numbers while they are neck and neck on Amazon) . Sometimes it is useful to see "general trends" in the market.

Quantum Break is no mainstream mass market title like The Division or Battlefield Hardline so I don't think it will be far off. It already did rather poorly in its UK debut.

Wait until Monday to make bets. UK charts should be out then.

When does R&C release in the UK? I know it has a staggered release and I thought the UK was one of the later markets.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, Yes, a new console always has the potential of catching fire and naturally the weaker of the mix will suffer the most. Wii U apart, that's the Xbox One.

Sorry, but I just don't see how the console will catch fire in this fashion when millions of people are familiar with PlayStation/Xbox being the place to play third party multiplats (especially online) -- all during a period of gaming in which those games are helping consoles sales far more than exclusives.

I think QB and RC will be within 10-15% sales range of each other. Regardless who wins, it'll be relatively close.

Sorry, but I just don't see how the console will catch fire in this fashion when millions of people are familiar with PlayStation/Xbox being the place to play third party multiplats (especially online) -- all during a period of gaming in which those games are helping consoles sales far more than exclusives.

The potential for another lightning in the bottle is always there.

Potential.

donny2112

I figure an additive increase in multi-plat sales by making a (seemingly) cheap and quick NX port would be enough to satisfy third-parties and stabilize Nintendo's console userbase. Those that care about Nintendo games and third-party games would have a place to go, but I don't see that as a significant threat to PS4/XB1. I don't think Nintendo's trying to take over the gaming space. They just don't want to be pushed out of it, either. They're being joiners this time around, then.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Has NBA2k taken over Madden as the best selling sports game in the US? It's a fucking juggernaut and seemingly never leaves the top.

Wish they would use that money to get their shit together on everything framing the superb gameplay.

Quantum Break is no mainstream mass market title like The Division or Battlefield Hardline so I don't think it will be far off. It already did rather poorly in its UK debut.

When does R&C release in the UK? I know it has a staggered release and I thought the UK was one of the later markets.

Oh crap, your right. I totally forgot it was releasing on the 22nd in the UK. So... disregard for initial post.

Quantum Break > R&C.

No doubt about that.

I look forward to you being wrong. Regardless of what happens though, it's silly to say there's "no doubt". There ABSOLUTELY is doubt. There's no reason to think Quantum Break will be a big seller, Ratchet is $20 cheaper, and early indications are that Ratchet is selling well.

Welfare

Yeah, % of Microsoft consoles sold in US this gen is pretty much the same as it was last gen during this same point (~35% after third Holiday season if I remember correctly).

They definitely could have been over 50% in the US if they didn't make so many mistakes in 2013.

As of December 2007 (3rd holiday for Xbox 360)

Code:
360: 9,120,900 (46.2%)
PS3: 3,245,200 (16.4%)
Wii: 7,369,600 (37.3%)

Total: 19,735,700 (100%)

As of December 2015 (3rd holiday for Xbox One)

Code:
XB1: ~11,100,000 (38.9%)
PS4: ~12,400,000 (43.5%)
WIU: ~5,000,000 (17.5%)

Total: ~28,500,000 (100%)

As of December 2008 (4th holiday for 7th gen)

Code:
360: 13,855,500 (36.3%)
PS3: 6,790,100 (17.8%)
Wii: 17,540,600 (45.9%)

Total: 38,186,200 (100%)

As of December 2015 (4th holiday for 8th gen)

Code:
XB1: ~11,100,000 (38.9%)
PS4: ~12,400,000 (43.5%)
WIU: ~5,000,000 (17.5%)

Total: ~28,500,000 (100%)

QB is going to have to pull off some amazing numbers to not dissapoint.

Unlike AW, they can't even rely on the PC version for decent sales with how many things were going against it plus how badly they botched that port.

dt2

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if R&C outsells Quantum Break. R&C is an established franchise that's selling for $40 and is rated E on a platform that has a larger install base. Quantum Break is a new IP that's selling for $60 and is rated M on a platform that has a smaller install base. I honestly expect R&C to outsell Quantum Break and I would be extremely expressed if it ended up the other way around.

Top Bottom