• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

jaina

That's odd because it doesn't look like 90% on the graph.
the graph and text are different comparisons
- COD bundle out of Playstation bundles: "PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III bundle accounted for more than 90% of all PlayStation 4 units sold in the US last month."
- COD bundle out of (COD bundle + COD standalone): graph

Hesemonni

Banned
the graph and text are different comparisons
- COD bundle out of Playstation bundles: "PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III bundle accounted for more than 90% of all PlayStation 4 units sold in the US last month."
- COD bundle out of (COD bundle + COD standalone): graph
Well that's clever for a graph then! Thanks for clarifying, because I thought I didn't understand anything anymore.

If Xbox is considered a disaster internally, part of it probably stems from the brand's current inability to command any sort of dollar value over the competitor.

Nobody who believes they have a product of equal or better value, (Xbox has definitely been working pretty hard to sell itself as a product of equal, if not better value than PS4) likes being told the reality that despite bundling more games, despite being $50 on average cheaper... it's still selling less than the primary competitor, and not a negligible amount.

Should be relatively recent. There's been no review, no likes, and no website writing about this yet. Maybe in the past 1-3 days?

Welfare

At $40, I'm hoping this will be the best debut for a Ratchet game in NA.

Up Your Arsenal was the peak of the series at 207,500 units sold with a full November period.

Into the Nexus was $30 and had 3 weeks in November.

Really, looking at R&C debut months, past and "future", it doing more than the original already seems unlikely. Any boost the movie would give (if any) would hardly be seen in the NPD report since the movie is on the penultimate day of the reporting period for April.

Guymelef

Ratchet is going to be a big success.
Best selling Sony Interactive Entertainment published game on PlayStation history.

PS: Microsoft, I'm looking for a PR job.

Fady K

Up Your Arsenal was the peak of the series at 207,500 units sold with a full November period.

Really, looking at R&C debut months, past and "future", it doing more than the original already seems unlikely.

Oh yeah - forgot Into the Nexus was $30. May be tough, but here's hoping it can. I just feel like, with a genre rarely visited these days in glorious form (fantastic up to date graphics and reportedly great gameplay), it would be lovely to see it take off as good as it's best predecessors. Hopefully.

Really, looking at R&C debut months, past and "future", it doing more than the original already seems unlikely. Any boost the movie would give (if any) would hardly be seen in the NPD report since the movie is on the penultimate day of the reporting period for April.

So what's your prediction for Ratchet & Clank? A hard number.

Bgamer90

Banned

Bgamer90

Banned
360 took off in its third year. This will be the year where xbone will fall behind its predecesor in a big way.

Depends on how the "new Xbox" (if true) will do this year. It's coming one year earlier than the time between the Xbox 360's launch and the Xbox 360 S.

I think the 360 did close to 4.8 Million in the US in 2009. New Xbox (which would sell to some current Xbox One owners) alongside another Holiday season in which November and December are each above 1.25 Million may help keep things pretty even in terms of 360 vs. Xbox One in America.

March was a pretty unexciting month. But hopefully the battle for R+C and QB in April as well as what MS decides to do about Uncharted (free game with every XBone promo?) in May, might spice chatter up a bit. You could say things could be getting interesting again.

Uncharted 4 is the first game in a while on PS4 that I predict will noticeably push hardware sales. This is all due to the fact that from what I've seen, the game looks phenomenal. Like it's setting a new benchmark in graphics and narrative again. I actually didn't have such lofty expectations of the game but that latest gameplay preview in the jeep changed things.

It didn't seem that the Division was a hardware mover in any way. So it failed to help both systems. Just selling to the existing userbase. The main driver for MS being up was the price cut and trade in deals I'd gather. And even then those didn't really achieve a great lot in their favour.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think QB will be around 200k, which would probably be considered disappointing given how long the game has been in development. But we'll see.

We also need to remember that NPD results mean different things for different consoles when we look on worldwide sales.

Xbone is a very US centric console [~ 2:1 US vs world ratio], so 200K on NPD means that [if game has worldwide appeal] additional ~100K will probably be sold outside of the US in launch month.

PS4 is much more accepted worldwide [~ 1:2 US vs world ratio], so 200K on NPD means that [if game has worldwide appeal] additional ~400K will probably sold outside of the US in launch month.

Since PS4 is so successful outside of the US, if some game matches or even looses in the NPD charts, Sony will still most likely laugh all the way to the bank.

R&C should benefit from a lack of similar retail titles, low price, and new PS4 owners who have never played one before. Also very family friendly. I think it is possible this one will be the best selling one yet.

Three

From Zhuge. dont know if it has been said by anyone else

CgIXbUqW4AAUKsJ.jpg:large

So is that ps4 bundle vs xb1+ps4 standalone or ps4 bundle vs ps4 standalone?
I would like to see the lifetime numbers split for blops 3. I know consoles arent counted and thats why people assumed the xb1 version always won, but that bundle basically hasnt existed for months as far as I know. Coukd it he this game just sold better on the xb1?

There is your answer megatron. The bundle seems to have sold more or less the same as the standalone and if that includes the PS4 version then the COD split has shifted dramatically in favour of PS4.

Majmun

Is this a temporary or a definitive X1 pricedrop?

I love how MS markets their temporary pricedrop and then markets their definite pricedrop again. They did the same shit last year.

I'm sure it helps spreading the word around.

I love how MS markets their temporary pricedrop and then markets their definite pricedrop again. They did the same shit last year.

I'm not sure what the point doing a permanent price cut is if you are still going lose by almost 100k. Might as well take in more profit.

It's temporary*

*Definitive.

I'm not sure on the laws but classing it as a temporary price cut would they actually have to revert back to the old price when the "promotion" ends and then reduce it permanently, say a day later, or could they just say it's no longer limited and will be reduced permanently going forward?

Three

It's temporary*

*Definitive.

I'm not sure on the laws but classing it as a temporary price cut would they actually have to revert back to the old price when the "promotion" ends and then reduce it permanently, say a day later, or could they just say it's no longer limited and will be reduced permanently going forward?

They have to increase it at some point. I personally think they aren't going to and they will just try and clear stock before the XB1 revision.

Jumping back to the NX conversation for a second, I'd be amazed if Nintendo was seeking to overturn either of the other consoles straight off the bat- certainly, none of their moves so far suggest this is the intention. Instead, I'd guess they're looking to stabilise their console business, bounce back from the Wii U and establish a platform to try and reach further success in the future. There are shades in between failure and conquering all the competition.

If the NX sold the same as the Xbox One, Nintendo could consider that a great triumph with just as much validity as Microsoft considering it a disaster. It's all relative.

Three

Jumping back to the NX conversation for a second, I'd be amazed if Nintendo was seeking to overturn either of the other consoles straight off the bat- certainly, none of their moves so far suggest this is the intention. Instead, I'd guess they're looking to stabilise their console business, bounce back from the Wii U and establish a platform to try and reach further success in the future. There are shades in between failure and conquering all the competition.

If the NX sold the same as the Xbox One, Nintendo could consider that a great triumph with just as much validity as Microsoft considering it a disaster. It's all relative.

People who say that the possibility of Nintendo going after the audience that likes PS/XB with NX is farfetched are wrong in my opinion. They absolutely can cause considerable harm especially to MS if MS has no revision too as there is more overlap with their potential audience. The NX can only be one of two things. 1) A way for Nintendo to gain back the audience they don't have through better specs and third party support competing against PS/Xbox. 2) A Completely different type of gaming that creates an audience.

Any other reason would not really require a new console. They made some really great business decisions creating their own toys to life income and are really not competing with the other two at this point, they have their audience. The NX would be to try and expand it in my opinion. They need to target someone with it otherwise they would simply double down on the one they already have.

XboxOne is no desaster. It's just not meeting expectations and is overshadowed by PS4 doing really well, or coming back to form after PS3.
For MS, this is underwhelming or mediocre at best. No reason for panic, but it's frustrating and demotivating. And that's the impression I get. It reminds me of relationship fatigue. As Xbox is a very male console, symptoms are comparable.

Lacklustre effords
Like feeling the urge buying flowers but not really caring, you pick the 3dollar bunch. You came for Mass Effect, you leave with Lara Croft.
Then you leave the flowers in the hot car for 4 hours. The result is even sadder than doing nothing.
That's how Tomb Raider was treated in the end. Other exclusives don't have the support they needed either.

Lack of decisions
Hey, let's go out, maybe we could... Or... Well, let's stay at home. What's on TV?
MS can't decide if they go for numbers or profit, every second week it's a new truth. Incremental is great, it isn't, don't ask me.
Talking for the sake of talking. MS had such great PR once. Aggressive, funny, bigheaded. This gen their best gag was digging a holein the desert. That was cool. You were so cool once.

Shifting the focus
Let's stay together because of the house, the kids, the dog. We both have our hobbies. Let's not talk about us.
Let's be happy with the Xbox family numbers, bullets fired, MAUs, Win10

Bonus point: Gogo girls in school uniforms

People who say that the possibility of Nintendo going after the audience that likes PS/XB with NX is farfetched are wrong in my opinion. They absolutely can cause considerable harm especially to MS if MS has no revision too as there is more overlap with their potential audience. The NX can only be one of two things. 1) A way for Nintendo to gain back the audience they don't have through better specs and third party support competing against PS/Xbox. 2) A Completely different type of gaming that creates an audience.

Any other reason would not really require a new console. They made some really great business decisions creating their own toys to life income and are really not competing with the other two at this point, they have their audience. The NX would be to try and expand it in my opinion. They need to target someone with it otherwise they would simply double down on the one they already have.

The only overlap I see between MS customers and Nintendos customers are the type that only play very gameplay focused franchises.

Three

The only overlap I see between MS customers and Nintendos customers are the type that only play very gameplay focused franchises.
The overlap is the younger audience and those who buy things like kinect, games like just dance, lego, that sort of thing. What some may refer to as the "casual" audience but I hate that term personally.

jelly

Microsoft don't compete for second place and conceding their two strongest markets last gen, US and UK to PlayStation when they were top sounds like a disaster to me. Also doing worse in mainland Europe, that is embarrassing, you don't have the excuse of Japan there, Europe should be a good market for them.

Seeing what their plan is going forward at E3 will be interesting. Do they do a soft relaunch of sorts and start caring more about other markets like Europe, limp on with a cheap Xbox One and consumer push to gain momentum for a new Xbox.

allan-bh

I'm not sure what the point doing a permanent price cut is if you are still going lose by almost 100k. Might as well take in more profit.

The point is sell better, expanding the user base with a lower price, that's all.

I believe sometimes people focus too much in comparison and forgot sales itself. Even loosing for PS4 there's a path for XOne be a healthy system in the market with good sales.

maxiell

Haven't all the 1TB bundles been something of a failure? Most people don't recognize a future need for space like that down the road when they buy a console, and the customer who is filling up that much space is likely to know how to attach an external anyway. Offering expensive bundles with non-themed consoles just seems like bad marketing and promotion, and they haven't learned at all from the results.

I believe sometimes people focus too much in comparison and forgot sales itself. Even loosing for PS4 there's a path for XOne be a healthy system in the market with good sales.

Actually, sales is what I'm focusing on, and not so much comparisons.

I don't think anyone other than MS and retailers has the estimate data on it, but at this point, it's fair to assume that a respectable chunk of XB1 console sales have been driven by aggressive deals.

$50 discounts multiple times throughout the year, some of them over a long stretch of time. Often times with additional free game-deals as well, contributing to bundles with 2-4 games included at point of purchase.

A healthy console attach rate in the early years is somewhere is the 3-4 range? That means out the gate, XB1 already mildly impedes the potential health of its audience by giving away enough games to match a several years attach ratio.

XB1 is not in a terrible state, but I would not envy a position where I have to be giving away a lot of "free stuff" to entice my marketplace.

So are we having one of those "consoles are dead" months this month? Seems like we are. One viable platform and everything else is dead/dying. With the off chance that the NX is actually the second coming of Christ?

LordRaptor

So are we having one of those "consoles are dead" months this month? Seems like we are. One viable platform and everything else is dead/dying.

This is how its going to go until November and December when there are huge sales all round and everyone forgets the other 10 months of struggle

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Betcha R&C is in the top 3 next month.

XboxOne is no desaster. It's just not meeting expectations and is overshadowed by PS4 doing really well, or coming back to form after PS3.
For MS, this is underwhelming or mediocre at best. No reason for panic, but it's frustrating and demotivating. And that's the impression I get. It reminds me of relationship fatigue. As Xbox is a very male console, symptoms are comparable.

Lacklustre effords
Like feeling the urge buying flowers but not really caring, you pick the 3dollar bunch. You came for Mass Effect, you leave with Lara Croft.
Then you leave the flowers in the hot car for 4 hours. The result is even sadder than doing nothing.
That's how Tomb Raider was treated in the end. Other exclusives don't have the support they needed either.

Lack of decisions
Hey, let's go out, maybe we could... Or... Well, let's stay at home. What's on TV?
MS can't decide if they go for numbers or profit, every second week it's a new truth. Incremental is great, it isn't, don't ask me.
Talking for the sake of talking. MS had such great PR once. Aggressive, funny, bigheaded. This gen their best gag was digging a holein the desert. That was cool. You were so cool once.

Shifting the focus
Let's stay together because of the house, the kids, the dog. We both have our hobbies. Let's not talk about us.
Let's be happy with the Xbox family numbers, bullets fired, MAUs, Win10

Bonus point: Gogo girls in school uniforms

Well played sir!

Ratchet is going to be a big success.
Best selling Sony Interactive Entertainment published game on PlayStation history.

PS: Microsoft, I'm looking for a PR job.

Impressive. Most impressive.

This is how its going to go until November and December when there are huge sales all round and everyone forgets the other 10 months of struggle
These will be mad months, but not for the sales alone.
We will have one new console, VR, huge games and maybe even some console updates/upgrades.
It will be phantastic.

Top Bottom