• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

soundwave05 said:
Well NiGHTS 2, Rygar, SC Legends, Boogie, Manhunt 2, a EA/Spielberg exclusive, Oponi, Dewy, Zak & Wiki, etc. have all come to light during the past few months and we're not even at E3 yet.

The whole "you need all the third parties to have success!!" thing is so overblown anyway. Positive mindshare + 1 or 2 system moving killer apps + a reasonable steady flow of content are more important than having what some 30-year-old hardcore gamer on the internet thinks is a good lineup in a list wars debate.
I see what you did there.

speculawyer said:
It is definitely true that 3rd support for the Wii has been weak . . . a lot of crap games.

But Madden, SSX, Godfather, Mortal Kombat, Marvel ultimate alliance, Elebits, Trauma Center, and other third party games all got better reviews than Mario Party 8 but Mario Party 8 just kicked their butts in sales.

It is not just the game quality, it is also the game type.
Mario.

BuzzJive

Such a shame that all these big May Wii third party titles didn't make top 10:

Spiderman 3
Shrek the Third
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mortal Kombat Armageddon: 6 months late and no online edition
Tamagotchi: Party On
Surfs Up

But I'm really pulling for June:

The Sims 2: Pets
Resident Evil 4: Third Strike
Harry Potter (this actually could make it)
The Bigs: no online edition
Driver Parallel Lines: over a year late edition
Escape from Bug Island (YES!!)
Ratatouille (this could too)
Transformers

sp0rsk said:
They are counting on bundles to carry them through the Christmas season and drop the price after Christmas.

That's certainly possible. I just can't fathom a console with the same price for three straight holiday seasons. Just unreal.......

Drensch

But yet where are they now if Nintendo software is selling in the multi-millions? I don't see a trace anywhere of this magical thrid party selling rate fans intend on shotuing to the Mountain tops.

Remember when Warren Buffet quit investing when he found out that Bill Gates had more money? Oh yeah, neither do I. It doesn't matter if Nintendo outsells 3rd parties, as long as 3rd parties make money. Guess what? MS has the majority of the highest selling games on xbox, x360 and Sony has the majority of the best selling games on Ps3, ps2, and ps1.

Fredescu

speculawyer said:
It is not just the game quality, it is also the game type.
Exactly. Picking a target demographic = marketing. Good Game Quality + Good Marketing = Good Game Sales. Publisher name means nothing to the mass market.

mj1108

iwatanintendo9zz.jpg

jrricky

Banned
jsrv said:
I'm curious how this and Odin sphere did too

I guess Odin Sphere bombed in the face of 100 millions of ps2 owners. I cant believe people expect games on the Wii to be instant multimillion sellers. If they cant do it on PS2 then what else can you think. The only reason that games sell so much on the 360 is that the Internet overly hypes them. Good for 360 though, it needs something positive about it with its subpar sales now; it seems that everyone who wants 360 games has already gotten it.

Continue on GAF.:)

ksamedi

I think Wii software is going to dominate june. Harry Potter, The Bigs, Re4 Wii edition, Pokemon BR, Big Brain Academy and Transformers. I think they will all chart in the top 10 (except maybe Transformers).

July will be the month Manhunt 2 and Mario Strikers Charged releases.

Grecco said:
Gamestop is actually previewing this version at their stores only (Wii) which suprised the heck out of me.

There's also the free Harry Potter tickets if you buy the Wii version. EA is more or less pushing the Harry Potter Wii as the definitive version.

Lorul2

It's amazing how as the number of Wii worldwide sales gets larger, the 360's worldwide numbers get smaller.

BTW

What in the world are people doing with all these PS2s??

Tristam

I believe that Rayman is the only third party game for the Wii that was created ground-up for the system and received even decent reviews (Trauma Center is a great game and received good reviews as well but that isn't much more than a DS port). Can you expect third party games to sell over a million if they suck and/or are obscure?

EDIT: I just glanced at those ground-up third party games that scored 75 or higher on Metacritic. SSX Blur and Banana Blitz fared OK in the reviews as well.

Mr.City

BuzzJive said:
Such a shame that all these big May Wii third party titles didn't make top 10:

Spiderman 3
Shrek the Third
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mortal Kombat Armageddon: 6 months late and no online edition
Tamagotchi: Party On
Surfs Up

But I'm really pulling for June:

The Sims 2: Pets
Resident Evil 4: Third Strike
Harry Potter (this actually could make it)
The Bigs: no online edition
Driver Parallel Lines: over a year late edition
Escape from Bug Island (YES!!)
Ratatouille (this could too)
Transformers

You don't sound bitter at all.

Razoric

Banned
it is truly amazing to see how nintendo pulled the ****ing rug out from under two multibillion dollar corporations.

USD

Fredescu said:
Your argument relies on this statement, which is plainly false. The majority of people don't decide whether they will buy a game based on the publisher. Game quality and good marketing sells software.
True, I think that strong marketing would help out a lot of third parties, but only the biggest third parties (if any) will have that kind of marketing, and in that case, brand recognition wins every time.

This thread is getting funnier each month. Wii games don't sell, Wii is about to fade, only fanboys are buying Wii, only cheapskates are buying Wii. Actually, let me solve the mystery. Its me. I've been buying a million Wiis a month. I'm building a castle.

thefro

Fredescu said:
Exactly. Picking a target demographic = marketing. Good Game Quality + Good Marketing = Good Game Sales. Publisher name means nothing to the mass market.

Nintendo has pretty much carpet bombed places like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon with a ridiculous amount of Mario Party 8 TV ads. That definitely factors into sales.

I haven't seen any other third parties make that investment on Wii except for Red Steel, and Sonic/Tiger Woods to a limited extent in certain demographics.

Lorul2 said:
It's amazing how as the number of Wii worldwide sales gets larger, the 360's worldwide numbers get smaller.

BTW

What in the world are people doing with all these PS2s??

If you saw the full software, you wouldn't be saying that...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Razoric said:
it is truly amazing to see how nintendo pulled the ****ing rug out from under two multibillion dollar corporations.
Nintendo is also a multibillion dollar corporation. :0

I should have known that the PSP was getting a boost in sales. My local Target is usually a good indicator of how sales will be and everytime I go theres always at least 6 PSP's on the shelf. However, last week I went and there were none at all. I guess PSP is picking up steam. However Nintendo COULD put the final blow on the PSP if they cut the DS price to $99.99, but I doubt Nintendo would even consider doing that till Christmas.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
jrricky said:
I guess Odin Sphere bombed in the face of 100 millions of ps2 owners. I cant believe people expect games on the Wii to be instant multimillion sellers. If they cant do it on PS2 then what else can you think. The only reason that games sell so much on the 360 is that the Internet overly hypes them. Good for 360 though, it needs something positive about it with its subpar sales now; it seems that everyone who wants 360 games has already gotten it.

Continue on GAF.:)

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I see... can you also tell us why the Wii is selling so much next?

...seriously, how you do people come up with posts like these?

ksamedi said:
Well the Wii has 7 and its 1 year younger. But you contradict yourself. First you say that Rayman and Redsteel should sell multiple millions but cant name any third party 360 title that did the same.

Like I said before why name a multiple million selling title on the 360 when you have different types of third party software selling over a million. Damn the multiple million sellers if a breakout shitty franchise like Lost Planet can sell over 1 million. Or a Crackdown. This isn't concentrated into 2 particular third party software titles. This is spread out over multiple titles. On one hand you have crappy titles and great titles selling well on the 360 system.

In the other you have the wii in almost the same position. Well etablished userbase. "Potential" software selling rates. Phenomenal hardware sales. But yet joe schmuck cantmake a buck on the system. You have 2 big third party titles on the system that isn't selling in a perpetual momentum to the hardware momentum. Something is wrong there.

I just don't see third party software being a driving force for this system. 7 months it's been on the shlves with third party titles ranging from awesome to dead crappy. But yet only 2 or 3 titles comes pout just over 1 million with a 7.5 million userbase. It's no adding up for third parties.

iamblades

Razoric said:

Well to be fair, Nintendo is also a multibillion dollar company, just not quite as many billions. Though it is catching up with Sony lately, still like $10 billion to go I think.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are you guys taking requests or is that against the rules?

I usually don't care what any particular game sells, but I was interested in Odin Sphere, Etrian, and Shadowrun.

Also are FM2's sales good?

besada

Banned
jrricky said:
IThe only reason that games sell so much on the 360 is that the Internet overly hypes them. Good for 360 though, it needs something positive about it with its subpar sales now; it seems that everyone who wants 360 games has already gotten it.
26344_formatted_cry_baby.gif

Wolves Evolve said:
This thread is getting funnier each month. Wii games don't sell, Wii is about to fade, only fanboys are buying Wii, only cheapskates are buying Wii. Actually, let me solve the mystery. Its me. I've been buying a million Wiis a month. I'm building a castle.

You forgot: "The only reason that games sell so much on the 360 is that the Internet overly hypes them."

Krowley

Razoric said:

I'm personaly finding it to be rather amusing.. Not because of my console bias or anything.. It's just funny (and somehow liberating) to see the underdog totally sh*t on the frontrunners.

I'll bet the way the introduction of the Elite 360 has seemed to sap the desirability of the Premium is giving Nintendo pause about the introduction of the supposed DVD movie Wii.

A few interesting Wii milestones this month:
*Wii LTD is now more than double PS3 LTD.
*Wii LTD is now more than half X360 LTD.
*Wii November 2006 - May 2007 is greater than X360.
*Wii through 7 months is now more than 1 million ahead of GCN through 7 months.
Whipped Spartan said:
Is Wii outpacing PS2 at this point? Is ps3 pacing lower than GC last gen, it has to be...
Yes and yes, both by several hundred thousand.
siamesedreamer said:
That's certainly possible. I just can't fathom a console with the same price for three straight holiday seasons. Just unreal...
Well, of course it's different in that it's not the launch price, but...
PS1 @ 99: 1999, 2000, 2001
GCN @ 99: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Fredescu

USD said:
True, I think that strong marketing would help out a lot of third parties, but only the biggest third parties (if any) will have that kind of marketing, and in that case, brand recognition wins every time.
If it was brand recognition that mattered, EA wouldn't bother paying guys like Tiger Woods or Madden to use their names. As for Nintendo brand recognition, even third party games have the Nintendo logo on the box.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
331k NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
314k WII MARIO PARTY 8
249k PS2 SPIDER-MAN 3

Ugh, I guess people don't want Quality.

Pokemon? Brainwash your kids into consumers.

Mario Party 8? That's fantastic.

Spider Man 3? It's great to see amazing story telling awarded <sad sarcasm>.

No real surprises tho. Whatever platform does well in the holiday season, I hope that the quality games that are coming out for the three consoles are rewarded for their talents. (Bioshock, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, etc.).

legend166

So, now that the Wii will certainly pass the 360 worldwide in the coming months, we should figure out how long it will take for it to pass the 360 and PS3 combined, worldwide.

March next year?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Revelations said:
I just don't see third party software being a driving force for this system. 7 months it's been on the shlves with third party titles ranging from awesome to dead crappy. But yet only 2 or 3 titles comes pout just over 1 million with a 7.5 million userbase. It's no adding up for third parties.

The big question would be if the Wii had quality games like the XBOX 360 would 3rd parties sell as bad as they are.

Jirotrom

Skilotonn said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I see... can you also tell us why the Wii is selling so much next?

...seriously, how you do people come up with posts like these?

Not to defend Jrricky but wernt you the one that stated the Wii is only selling how it is because its cheap? Its June and the system is still selling out in droves because its cheap.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
pavgasm.gif

I dont know in what context this gif was used, but this performance of Nessun Dorma by Pavarotti is just amazing.

Empty_One

Revelations said:
But yet where are they now if Nintendo software is selling in the multi-millions? I don't see a trace anywhere of this magical thrid party selling rate fans intend on shotuing to the Mountain tops.

This has probably been addressed, but hell, I'll say it anyway.

If a piece of shit like Red Steel can sell a million copies, how much do you think a GOOD title would sell.

Odysseus

Banned
Razoric said:

sony and microsoft overshot the market big time and nintendo came in with what looks to be the right idea at the right time.

it's a shame we have no idea of knowing how much of wii's early success is due to waggle and how much is due to price. either way, it doesn't matter. 360 and ps3 are still screwed in the near term.

JodwayJJ

I'm curious to see how well Tiger Woods has done so far for the Wii versus the 360 and PS3 versions. Even if it did worse, the fact that Wii development costs are lower on average has to be making these third parties tickle with joy.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
"
*Wii LTD is now more than double PS3 LTD.
*Wii LTD is now more than half X360 LTD.
"

This is just amazing, Only one more month till this months sales!

Top Bottom