• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

unomas

Banned
Cerrius said:
It's pretty clear that the only company that will benefit from strong Wii hardware sales is Nintendo themselves. Much like the previous Nintendo platforms, third parties will be getting the shaft and will suffer from low software sales.

This is the reason why 360 will keep raking in the dough for not only Microsoft but third parties as well.

Correct, even with all these Wii sales look at the top 10 and you get Nintendo games making appearances but not 3rd party titles. Now look at the 360...big difference.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Etrian Odyssey numbers posted yet?

May software sales are SICK. Nintendo hardware, almost as sick. And FINALLY the PSP is picking up too. With its current library and recent price drop... it's VERY deserved!

NewLib

Banned
Revelations said:
And yet Ubisoft shown what 1? 2 titles at thier Gamers Day event. You think there's going to be more?

The Wii is at 7.5 million worldwide right now. That's pretty close to the 360's userbase but yet guess who's selling and making all the money on the Wii. What incentive do Third Party Publishers have on making games for the Wii if thier merchandise dosn't sell to the 7.5 million worldwide userbase?

Ubi has basically said that they screwed up with the Wii by trying to port a bunch of cash in games which didnt sell. The games they put some time in, Red Steel and Rayman, on the other hand did. Even they have connected the dots.

titiklabingapat said:
No third parties on ANY console will ever beat Nintendo this gen. At all. Not SquareEnix. Not Rockstar. Not Konami. Not Capcom. Not Tecmo. Not EA. Not Ubisoft. Not Microsoft. Not Sony. The Ds alone will ensure that, even if all the aforementioned companies decide to completely ignore the Wii.

So if Third Parties can't sell thier games on the Wii..I ask again. What incentive is there to make third party titles for this system. If they can't sell to the already 7.5 millionj userbase? The hardware selling rate does not reflect the software selling rate on this console.

Saoh

sp0rsk said:
pavgasm.gif

:lol :lol

NPD time has become so great. I think my favourite part is ps3forums total denial of the ps3 bombing. I look forward to reading that tomorrow :lol

Revelations said:
And yet Ubisoft shown what 1? 2 titles at thier Gamers Day event. You think there's going to be more?

The Wii is at 7.5 million worldwide right now. That's pretty close to the 360's userbase but yet guess who's selling and making all the money on the Wii. What incentive do Third Party Publishers have on making games for the Wii if thier merchandise dosn't sell to the 7.5 million worldwide userbase?

let me translate this for people who don't have warped logic....

"3rd party developers always show off their entire upcoming line before E3. so there you have it, even though Wii is in the verge of catching up, and surpassing 360 sales, there's no reason why the line up of games should change in the near future. none what so ever."

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Revelations said:

Stop being deliberately dumb, here are the facts:

1. Third parties didn't think Wii would sell, thus they had no major games ready for it at launch.

2. Ubisoft thought different so they put at least 2 major (although not necessarily that great) games on it at launch, including a bunch of crappy ports.

3. Ubisoft's 2 major titles sold great

4. There have been no MAJOR third party titles (original big budget titles/iteration in major franchise) since January.

5. Nintendo games have been picking up the slack.

6. EA quickly saw the situation and saw success with games like Tiger Woods.

7. Major third party titles WILL sell on Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Revelations said:
So if Third Parties can't sell thier games on the Wii..I ask again. What incentive is there to make third party titles for this system. If they can't sell to the already 7.5 millionj userbase? The hardware selling rate does not reflect the software selling rate on this console.

Jesus..third parties can SELL- see Rayman, Red Steel, and to a lesser extent Tiger Woods (quick PS2 port outsold 360 and PS3 versions), but overall they won't outsell Nintendo. That doesn't mean they can't be successful.

Nintendominance will continue throughout the year. PS3 will get a little bit of a surge with GTA IV, and 360 with GTA IV and Halo. Nintendo counters with Mario, SSB, Metroid, no slowing down.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is there any chance of Wii hitting 10M before 360 does? If so, oh the ironing would be so delicious.

legend166 said:
I wish Luke Smith was still around so we could make him eat crow for his "Wii is a fad lolol!" comments.

I mean, it's one thing for some delusional fanboys on GAF to say it, but for a video game 'journalist'?

p.s. this thread is awesome.
I know I'll get ripped for this and I don't think Wii is a fad "per se" but we are in sort of uncharted waters....I'm still not fully convinced Wii will be PS2-like in NA (i.e. sell great for 4-5 years), I still think 360 has a chance to outsell Wii in the US in the long run if it continues to get the great Western 3rd party support its getting *runs and hides*

PkunkFury

Revelations said:

the incentive is that the Wii has a large and fast growing user base, which equals a large potential pool of customers for their product. What else do they need?

The also have the incentive that costs of Wii development are relatively cheap, and apparently Wii owners don't care if their games look sub last-gen (this is, of course, not a good thing)

Now, let me ask you this:

Whose fault is it that 3rd party games are not topping charts on Wii?

fresquito

Revelations said:
But yet where are they now if Nintendo software is selling in the multi-millions? I don't see a trace anywhere of this magical thrid party selling rate fans intend on shotuing to the Mountain tops.
To be fair, this statement also applies to other consoles, not only Wii.

schuelma said:
Top 10 console software from Seattle P.I

) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

For those wondering about SPM- it looks like it still did over 100K.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp

Thank you! And Zelda is up there too, hell yeah!

schuelma

BorkBork said:
Is there any chance of Wii hitting 10M before 360 does? If so, oh the ironing would be so delicious.

It's going to be tight, but it has a shot. (like I've said before, its hard to be exact without reliable Europe numbers, especially for 360).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
jesus christ. If nintendo holds units for the holiday season the sales are going to be off the charts.

JapanTime.gif

Well this is a nice suprise, I didnt even know these were coming out today. Ridiculous numbers for Nintendo hardware and Pokemon. What is Pokemans total in the US?

ant1532

Banned
It's so funny that we got played like fools 2 times so quickly. DS. Nah that won't sell. PSP will definitely sell more. Wii? :lol Sure, that won't sell at all.

I think Iwata and Reggie should get hella credit for turning Nintendo around.

unomas

Banned
Emerson said:
Seriously, who is buying all these Wii's? I don't know a single person who has bought one in 2007, seriously. Also, why are they buying them? Because they saw it on TV and didn't research it at all? The system has no games and won't have any until this Christmas at the earliest. Wii Sports was boring after a couple weeks and Zelda only lasts so long.

I don't think the Wii can sustain these kinds of numbers for too long.

Nintendo fans are buying the Wii, and also all this Nintendo software. Same old same old, they've only sold 2.8 million Wii's in the USA, they aren't even anywhere close to meeting the original Gamecube numbers yet. No wait, all these Nintendo fans will tell you that Nintendo is attracting all these new gamers, but of course these new gamers are buying Mario and Zelda and obviously not 3rd party games. I'm still not sold on Nintendo is getting all these new casuals until they surpass the Gamecube numbers handily in the US and non Nintendo games actually start selling well.

tanod

when is my burrito
I think these are the reasons why the 360 and PS3 aren't selling and I think the 360 has a lot more problems at the moment:

360:
1) Elite
2) 3 SKU strategy / Pricing for HDDs
3) High Price
2) Hardware Reliability Problems

PS3:
1) Price
2) Games

Can we start a price drop prediction thread and see who is closest?

Here's my guesses through the end of the year:
I don't think a price drop for the 360 that is coming will be more than $50 so Sony should really want to price the PS3 at $450. I think that will probably give them the most bang for the buck strategically and in the press. They should do it at E3 or early September. I think the 360 will wait until after Halo launches and do their price drop right before GTA4 in October or they might go earlier than that if they want to keep under the PS3. The Wii will probably stay the same price or maybe drop $25 just to be the lowest price console still.

If Sony does it before the 360, they become cheaper than the Elite, at least temporarily. If they wait to do it any later than mid September, they won't have another good reason to drop it until late October when GTA4 comes out or before Black Friday but by then, the 360 will have made even more headway. They could also use some momentum going into the holiday season and a 25% drop in September would do it.

Revelations said:

They have to make more compelling games in the first place.

Also, my point was that third parties will be directly competing with Nintendo even if they make games for other platforms and not the Wii. Even more so now that Nintendo's console looks to be the hottest thing since the PS2.

GitarooMan said:
I know I'll get ripped for this and I don't think Wii is a fad "per se" but we are in sort of uncharted waters....I'm still not fully convinced Wii will be PS2-like in NA (i.e. sell great for 4-5 years), I still think 360 has a chance to outsell Wii in the US in the long run if it continues to get the great Western 3rd party support its getting *runs and hides*

No reason to run, that's a possible scenario, reasonably thought out, and not a troll.

It could happen. That said, I think Nintendo will be quite happy if the Wii sells N64 or better levels in North America, but dominates Japan and makes big gains in Europe.

schuelma

unomas said:
Nintendo fans are buying the Wii, and also all this Nintendo software. Same old same old, they've only sold 2.8 million Wii's in the USA, they aren't even anywhere close to meeting the original Gamecube numbers yet. No wait, all these Nintendo fans will tell you that Nintendo is attracting all these new gamers, but of course these new gamers are buying Mario and Zelda and obviously not 3rd party games. I'm still not sold on Nintendo is getting all these new casuals until they surpass the Gamecube numbers handily in the US and non Nintendo games actually start selling well.

well done.. I think Anihawk would approve.

AniHawk

super funk said:
Well this is a nice suprise, I didnt even know these were coming out today. Ridiculous numbers for Nintendo hardware and Pokemon. What is Pokemans total in the US?

2.326 million.

NewLib said:
Ubi has basically said that they screwed up with the Wii by trying to port a bunch of cash in games which didnt sell. The games they put some time in, Red Steel and Rayman, on the other hand did. Even they have connected the dots.

The bulk of thier sales came from the consumers who ate the intial sales pitch up. Beyond selling more than that leaves much to be desired. Look at the rate of which the wii is still selling. And look at it's software TP selling rates. If what Ubi says is true. Rayman. Red Steel should still be selling in droves, aye? It's not. In fact the titles are dormant.
:D

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
unomas said:

Godspeed, good sir. Ready your flameshield.

schuelma said:
Top 10 console software from Seattle P.I

) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

For those wondering about SPM- it looks like it still did over 100K.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp
So SPM should be over 450k now, and will likely break 500k next month. Nice to see Zelda continue to sell well, last month I remember it being around the same place as far as console game sales go. It looks like it's selling around 80kish per month since March or so, which means it should be close to or already has sold 1.5 million, giving it still quite a high attach ratio, over 50%. Go Zelda. :D

PkunkFury

Revelations said:
The bulk of thier sales came from the consumers who ate the intial sales pitch up. Beyond selling more than that leaves much to be desired. Look at the rate of which the wii is still selling. And look at it's software TP selling rates. If what Ubi says is true. Rayman. Red Steel should still be selling in droves, aye? It's not. In fact the titles are dormant.

yeah, I was buying copies of Red Steel all through December, but then I realised it wasn't made by Nintendo, so I've since switched to Wii Play

Good spin to the guy who said Wii was only bought by Nintendo fans. A less educated person might think its a good argument, except the facts don't back it up.

ksamedi

Revelations said:

WTF are you talking about. Let me ask you this, if you were a Wii owner, which third party games would you get? Probably none besides maybe RedSteel or Rayman which were pretty cool and mass market. Third party games dont sell on Wii because there are no third party games yet.

Revelations said:
Rayman and Red Steel are still consistently in the top 5 of the Wii charts all over the world 7 months in.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
unomas said:

It's like clockwork.

RBH

This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if requests are still possible, I'm interested in seeing the numbers for MLB 07: The Show for the PS3 and Shadowrun for the 360.

Revelations ... why don't answer these questions, so we can all bookmark your quote and have some fun in future NPD/E3/etc. threads:

Yes or no (according to your crystal ball)

1.) Wii will not get any good third party exclusives from here on out because of these "terrible" sales.

2.) Red Steel and Rayman will be the final big Wii exclusives from Ubi Soft. After all, why not make them for the 360, right?

C'mon, lets see you put your rep where your mouth is. Remember don't think too hard about it.

fresquito

Revelations said:
I guess you're on the search of a TAG or a ban.

titiklabingapat said:
They have to make more compelling games in the first place.

More compelling third party software will sell on this system? But I thought there already was compelling software on this system? Shouldn't Rayman Raging Rabbids. And Red Steel have sold more than they did? For a console that NEEDS more compelling games shouldn't these titles be in the multi million selling range by now? Right up there with Nintendo's software? I mean as you say there isn't much to pick from aside from Nintendo's offerings yes?

Ganondorf>Link said:
So SPM should be over 450k now, and will likely break 500k next month. Nice to see Zelda continue to sell well, last month I remember it being around the same place as far as console game sales go. It looks like it's selling around 80kish per month since March or so, which means it should be close to or already has sold 1.5 million, giving it still quite a high attach ratio, over 50%. Go Zelda. :D

How much of a drop do you think there is from 8th place to 10th, GH2 was at 130k, I think Zelda was over 100k this month, or close to it. Its nice to see it continue to do well. It will hang around for years as the big Nintendo titles do, especially when they hit the price drop.

Top Bottom