• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

jedimike

pilonv1 said:
This needs to be posted in every thread about "WHY ISNT THIS GAME ON WII"

Easy tiger... just because the PS3 isn't selling any 3rd party software doesn't mean 3rd party software sales on the Wii is suddenly spectacular.

You know MS is do for a price drop, you know MS has some big guns hitting this fall, and you know 3rd party software sells great on 360.

It is still a tough sale to publishers to convince them to develop solely for Wii when those same assets can't be used for PS3, 360, or PC.

Sean

Banned
Wii outsold the PS3 and 360 combined this month and then some. Damn, Nintendo is owning this generation so far.

JDSN

Banned
Cerrius said:
It's pretty clear that the only company that will benefit from strong Wii hardware sales is Nintendo themselves. Much like the previous Nintendo platforms, third parties will be getting the shaft and will suffer from low software sales.

This is the reason why 360 will keep raking in the dough for not only Microsoft but third parties as well.

Are you telling that to us, or to yourself?

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
speculawyer said:
Nintendo has truly grown the videogame business by attracting new buyers.

Nintendo deserves a hearty thanks for that.

Hopefully third party developers will eventually be able to tap into that market and make some decent sales on those Nintendo platforms. So far, they have not had much success. :-/

Now THAT juniors, is how to stealth troll, watch and learn.

diddlyD said:
nobody on gaf actually plays games, so they're unconcerned with the ramifications of gba outselling ps3. its just pure schadenfreude.

Actually if you pay attention to sales threads, its called a running joke.

LJ11

Emerson said:
Seriously, who is buying all these Wii's? I don't know a single person who has bought one in 2007, seriously. Also, why are they buying them? Because they saw it on TV and didn't research it at all? The system has no games and won't have any until this Christmas at the earliest. Wii Sports was boring after a couple weeks and Zelda only lasts so long.

I don't think the Wii can sustain these kinds of numbers for too long.

:lol

Its sustained them for 7 months. How much more proof do we need?

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

So, let's predict how long till:

[Wii software sales]*0.25 > [X360 software sales]*0.65

Emerson said:
Seriously, who is buying all these Wii's? I don't know a single person who has bought one in 2007, seriously. Also, why are they buying them? Because they saw it on TV and didn't research it at all? The system has no games and won't have any until this Christmas at the earliest. Wii Sports was boring after a couple weeks and Zelda only lasts so long.

Thanks for your input, dude.

ksamedi

Wii third party sales are quite good if you ask me. Publishers should be happy with the 25% with all the crap they have been releasing. Its a nice spin from MS to mention these things, but if we are realistic, if the 360 third party lineup would be the same as Wiis, they would probably sell less.

Grecco

Emerson said:

I sincerely hope this is a joke post.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Emerson said:

You realize that people have been saying that since the Wii launched, only to be dissapointed whenever sales numbers are released.

pilonv1

jedimike said:
Easy tiger... just because the PS3 isn't selling any 3rd party software doesn't mean 3rd party software sales on the Wii is suddenly spectacular.

That wasn't my point - it was third party games sell on 360 and not really on other systems. That's why they're getting exclusives and more support.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
CreatureX3 said:
It's pretty clear that 3rd parties need to create better games that actually equal the standards set by Nintendo's own games, if they want us Nintendo fans to purchase them. :)

what standard? What is this mythical standard that Nintendo has created? what? mario sunshine? mario party 8?

Don't kid yourself :lol

The true winner of the May NPD is Microsoft and I don't know how anyone can come to a different conclusion. The software charts were dominated by the 360, MS and third parties raked in the cash in May.

Third parties are flourishing on 360 while floundering on Wii. Not surprising given Nintendo's track record.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Top 10 console software from Seattle P.I

) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

For those wondering about SPM- it looks like it still did over 100K.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp

I love the rationale that Wii sales which are booming on Nintendo's B-squad titles like Mario Party 8 will somehow head south as Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Health, Wii Music, Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, etc. are released in the coming months.

Xisiqomelir

Berserker said:
lol-2.jpg

Saving this for future reposting. I have a feeling I'll be needing to use it for about 5 years.

Threi

notag
Cerrius said:
what stanard? What is this mythical standard that Nintendo has created? what? mario sunshine? mario party 8?

Don't kid yourself :lol

The true winner of the May NPD is Microsoft and I don't know how anyone can come to a different conclusion. The software charts were dominated by the 360, MS and third parties raked in the cash in May.

Third parties are flourishing on 360 while floundering on Wii. Not surprising given Nintendo's track record.

O_O

imastalker co. said:
drive-for-hope-logo.gif

i suggest everyone else who makes the same argument stay the **** away from E3 at all cost.

lol, you think E3 will save the Wii's third party selling rate? You buy the Wii for Nintendo software. I know! It's mad crazy, right! But we don't live in a perfect world.

But hey, closed legs don't get fed. :D

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Stormbringer said:
Thanks for your input, dude.

Thanks for yours, because you're so much more knowledgeable and important than I am.

This is what is wrong with GAF. "Sales numbers sales numbers sales numbers!" I couldn't care less about sales numbers. You can't look at sales numbers and predict the future. All they do is tell you the past and present. A million other factors affect the future.

Emerson said:
Thanks for yours, because you're so much more knowledgeable and important than I am.

This is what is wrong with GAF. "Sales numbers sales numbers sales numbers!" I couldn't care less about sales numbers. You can't look at sales numbers and predict the future. All they do is tell you the past and present. A million other factors affect the future.

You clicked on the sales numbers thread.

schuelma

So now that its painfully clear that the Wii isn't going to die down anytime soon, I see the new mantra is the old standby "buh buh buh 3rd party games don't sell".

I guess its a start...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Cerrius said:

They will be even bigger winners when first party releases like Blue Dragon, Halo 3, and Mass Effect come out where they get the entire share of profits instead of just the license fee.

schuelma

imastalker co. said:
i can't stress enough how good E3 and TGS is going to be for Nintendo.

I really really hope you're right. I don't doubt TGS..but I'm still skeptical of E3 resulting in many big 3rd party announcements.

C4Lukins

schuelma said:
Top 10 console software from Seattle P.I

) Mario Party 8, Wii
2) Spider-Man 3, PS2
3) Wii Play (with remote), Wii
4) Forza Motorsport 2, Xbox 360
5) Guitar Hero 2, Xbox 360
6) Spider-Man 3, Xbox 360
7) Command & Conquer 3, Xbox 360
8) Guitar Hero 2, PS2
9) Super Paper Mario, Wii
10) Legend of Zelda, Wii

For those wondering about SPM- it looks like it still did over 100K.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116711.asp

Take that you filthy little Pokemons.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
krypt0nian said:
You clicked on the sales numbers thread.

OH NO, YOU CAUGHT ME!!!!??11!

No shit I did. I clicked it because I wanted to see them. By no means does that mean I think they mean anything about the future.

womfalcs3

Banned
Considering the PS3 has yet to see worth exclusives since March, it's not doing to badly for a 600-dollar product. :lol

Xavien

Emerson said:

Then why are you posting in this thread?

Go play some games if you're not that bothered by sales.

Mar

This thread just got really entertaining. I'm glad some people stepped up to the task of having a meltdown. I was getting concerned I'd be bored.

Emerson said:
OH NO, YOU CAUGHT ME!!!!??11!

No shit I did. I clicked it because I wanted to see them. By no means does that mean I think they mean anything about the future.

This is the first week that GAF interprets numbers towards future results. Good thing they never did this in any other sales thread.

Grecco

I guess since the whole "You will find Wiis on store shelves at launch" thing didnt work out and then the whole "Wii is a fad lol will end in March" thing didnt work out, and nobody cares about Graphics either Wii trolls fall back on old faithfull "Third Parties Dont Sell!" just like they did with the DS.

Mind you, 1.Ubisoft has million sellers, 2.Atlus had its best selling game 3.Majesco has record profits on Wii titles 4. No Major Third Party title has been released yet (Manhunt 2) and 5. Third Parties still sell better on Wii than PS3.

Never change Gaf.

schuelma said:
So now that its painfully clear that the Wii isn't going to die down anytime soon, I see the new mantra is the old standby "buh buh buh 3rd party games don't sell".

I guess its a start...
It's nothing new..

Top Bottom