• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mar_ said:
This thread just got really entertaining. I'm glad some people stepped up to the task of having a meltdown. I was getting concerned I'd be bored.

Don't worry, the night is young and people haven't gone online yet.

schuelma said:
I really really hope you're right. I don't doubt TGS..but I'm still skeptical of E3 resulting in many big 3rd party announcements.
E3 is more important to developers and publishers than TGS, so i would expect it.

although i guess you never know considering there's a whole new E3 this year.

Fredescu

Emerson said:
"Sales numbers sales numbers sales numbers!" I couldn't care less about sales numbers.
This is an NPD numbers thread. If someone waltzed into a Forza 2 thread and said "cars cars cars" I couldn't care less about cars, what would you think of them?
Emerson said:
You can't look at sales numbers and predict the future. All they do is tell you the past and present. A million other factors affect the future.
Doomed to repeat them and all that. The Wii has won this gen. As long as you don't care about sales numbers though, who cares?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Xavien said:
Then why are you posting in this thread?

Go play some games if you're not that bothered by sales.

My 360 is broken, or I would. LOL. At least Wii's don't break all the damn time, I'll give them that.

imastalker co. said:
3rd party sales can only go up when you consider how much 3rd party software will be announced at E3 for Wii.

Heh. Oh really? Would you care to name these Super Magical Third Party titles that will sell oodles & oodles of software on the Wii just like Nintendo's Wii Play, Mario, Zelda & Pokemon titles?

So far I know one company who isn't yet convinced. Nothing. No third Parties Software will even come close to the numbers Nintendo rank in. None.

Scum

soclose.gif

Thanks soooo much for this, Mike Works! :lol :lol :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Emerson said:
OH NO, YOU CAUGHT ME!!!!??11!

No shit I did. I clicked it because I wanted to see them. By no means does that mean I think they mean anything about the future.
What a ****ing troll.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Revelations said:
Heh. Oh really? Would you care to name these Super Magical Third Party titles that will sell oodles & oodles of software on the Wii just like Nintendo's Wii Play, Mario, Zelda & Pokemon titles?

So far I know one company who isn't yet convinced.

Well, Red Steel and Rayman have to be over a million by now.

Not too shabby

Emerson said:
Sales numbers sales numbers sales numbers!" I couldn't care less about sales numbers. You can't look at sales numbers and predict the future. All they do is tell you the past and present. A million other factors affect the future.

Well, guess what, what you personally think of a system and of his line-up of games affect in absolutely no way the future and the actual sales of this system, so don't be surprised if your tastes don't fall in line with those of the general public.
And really, I don't see what you are doing in this sales thread if you don't care about these numbers.

Revelations said:

E3. you make the bet, the odds, whatever you want.

what company isn't convinced yet?

Fredescu

Revelations said:
Oh really? Would you care to name these Super Magical Third Party titles that will sell oodles & oodles of software on the Wii just like Nintendo's Wii Play, Mario, Zelda & Pokemon titles?
Boogie will outsell Zelda and have a crack at Galaxy too.

Revelations said:

I don't know about Wii Play or Zelda levels, but Rayman: Raving Ribbids and Red Steel have both shipped over 1 million a piece for Ubi Soft.

I'd say some other 3rd parties have probably noticed that.

This is the same schtick we've all heard before on this board anyway ... exact same thing was said about the DS. There's no question that a higher userbase will benefit any hardware makers ability to get more 3rd party support, not less.

As long as a system has a large userbase, developers will keep bringing games out for it until something is a hit, it's like flies to a light.

joesmokey

Ridiculous hardware numbers for DS and Wii of course, but very impressive sales for PSP.

Incredibly disappointing and not surprising that Mario Party 8 and Wii Play are the only 2 Wii titles in the Top 10 with how much the Wii is selling.

Impressive 360 software sales.

schuelma said:

Not too shabby

and cooking mama also did for Majesco what the rest of their catalogue couldn't... (yeah, it's not even close to a million, but reletively speaking, Majesco needed a hit, and the Wii delivered, especially in Europe)

legend166

I wish Luke Smith was still around so we could make him eat crow for his "Wii is a fad lolol!" comments.

I mean, it's one thing for some delusional fanboys on GAF to say it, but for a video game 'journalist'?

p.s. this thread is awesome.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I also agree that MS needs a price drop. They're being ****ing stupid. You've already buried Sony, MS, you don't even need to compete with them anymore. Drop your price.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
joesmokey said:
Ridiculous hardware numbers for DS and Wii of course, but very impressive sales for PSP.

Incredibly disappointing and not surprising that Mario Party 8 and Wii Play are the only 2 Wii titles in the Top 10 with how much the Wii is selling.

Impressive 360 software sales.

Well if you look at the console top 10, SPM and Zelda sold solidly as well.

schuelma said:

Not too shabby

But yet where are they now if Nintendo software is selling in the multi-millions? I don't see a trace anywhere of this magical thrid party selling rate fans intend on shotuing to the Mountain tops.

Emerson said:
Seriously, who is buying all these Wii's? I don't know a single person who has bought one in 2007, seriously. Also, why are they buying them? Because they saw it on TV and didn't research it at all? The system has no games and won't have any until this Christmas at the earliest. Wii Sports was boring after a couple weeks and Zelda only lasts so long.

I don't think the Wii can sustain these kinds of numbers for too long.

Wow.

angelfly

Grecco said:
I guess since the whole "You will find Wiis on store shelves at launch" thing didnt work out and then the whole "Wii is a fad lol will end in March" thing didnt work out, and nobody cares about Graphics either Wii trolls fall back on old faithfull "Third Parties Dont Sell!" just like they did with the DS.

Mind you, 1.Ubisoft has million sellers, 2.Atlus had its best selling game 3.Majesco has record profits on Wii titles 4. No Major Third Party title has been released yet (Manhunt 2) and 5. Third Parties still sell better on Wii than PS3.

Never change Gaf.

As Reggie said when they're not winning they have to grasp at something.

I'm still amazed at how well Wii is selling. I expected good sales but it's the DS of the home consoles. Only thing it lacks is the highest LTD....for now ;)

Threi

notag
Revelations said:
But yet where are they now if Nintendo software is selling in the multi-millions? I don't see a trace anywhere of this magical thrid party selling rate fans intend on shotuing to the Mountain tops.

What the **** are you babbling on about? You asked for examples and got them. Shut the **** up already.

Revelations said:
keep repeating that while you still can i guess.

ignore E3 and TGS if you'd like to continue saying this in the future.

ksamedi

Im kind of dissapointed by Paper Mario. I would expect it to remain in the top 10 for a while. Probably at 11 or something which is still not bad (or so i hope).

The most impressive thing to me is for 2007, the Wii was tracking on par/slightly ahead of the PS2's 2002, but for April + May, it's just absolutely destroyed the PS2 '02.

PkunkFury

is this the fastest the trolls have come out in an NPD thread??

in case you guys missed, this topic was on the front page of GAF right when NPD hit. Of course you are all content to let it quietly sink

Majesco says Wii titles boosted their revenue by 30%

3rd parties can sell on Wii if they make the proper games and market them properly. Many 3rd party Wii games are already successes, despite not appearing on the top 10 list. If every game that missed the top 10 list was considered a failure, this industry would be dead in the water. and finally...

Consumers have no idea what games were/were not published by Nintendo. All they know is what they've been told via marketing.

damisa

Grecco said:
I guess since the whole "You will find Wiis on store shelves at launch" thing didnt work out and then the whole "Wii is a fad lol will end in March" thing didnt work out, and nobody cares about Graphics either Wii trolls fall back on old faithfull "Third Parties Dont Sell!" just like they did with the DS.

Mind you, 1.Ubisoft has million sellers, 2.Atlus had its best selling game 3.Majesco has record profits on Wii titles 4. No Major Third Party title has been released yet (Manhunt 2) and 5. Third Parties still sell better on Wii than PS3.

Never change Gaf.

Almost everybody thought you'd be able to find wiis at launch, even big nintendo fans.

soundwave05 said:
I don't know about Wii Play or Zelda levels, but Rayman: Raving Ribbids and Red Steel have both shipped over 1 million a piece for Ubi Soft.

I'd say some other 3rd parties have probably noticed that.

This is the same schtick we've all heard before on this board anyway ... exact same thing was said about the DS. There's no question that a higher userbase will benefit any hardware makers ability to get more 3rd party support, not less.

As long as a system has a large userbase, developers will keep bringing games out for it until something is a hit, it's like flies to a light.

And yet Ubisoft shown what 1? 2 titles at thier Gamers Day event. You think there's going to be more?

The Wii is at 7.5 million worldwide right now. That's pretty close to the 360's userbase but yet guess who's selling and making all the money on the Wii. What incentive do Third Party Publishers have on making games for the Wii if thier merchandise dosn't sell to the 7.5 million worldwide userbase?

Revelations said:

So far I know one company who isn't yet convinced. Nothing. No third Parties Software will even come close to the numbers Nintendo rank in. None.

No third parties on ANY console will ever beat Nintendo this gen. At all. Not SquareEnix. Not Rockstar. Not Konami. Not Capcom. Not Tecmo. Not EA. Not Ubisoft. Not Microsoft. Not Sony. The Ds alone will ensure that, even if all the aforementioned companies decide to completely ignore the Wii.

soundwave05 said:
The most impressive thing to me is for 2007, the Wii was tracking on par/slightly ahead of the PS2's 2002, but for April + May, it's just absolutely destroyed the PS2 '02.

I assume you mean 2001? But, yes, it's ahead of the trajectory in all regions.

Revelations said:
And yet Ubisoft shown what 1? 2 titles at thier Gamers Day event. You think there's going to be more?

The Wii is at 7.5 million worldwide right now. That's pretty close to the 360's userbase but yet guess who's selling and making all the money on the Wii. What incentive do Third Party Publishers have on making games for the Wii if thier merchandise dosn't sell to the 7.5 million worldwide userbase?

Let me ask you a question, and it'll be a simple yes or no to see if you're willing to put your foot even more firmly in your mouth:

Do you think Red Steel 1 and Rayman will be the last big exclusive Ubi Soft has for the Wii?

Now take a minute and think about it. Don't try too hard though.

ksamedi said:
Im kind of dissapointed by Paper Mario. I would expect it to remain in the top 10 for a while. Probably at 11 or something which is still not bad (or so i hope).

Apparently, SPM did around 100k.

Fredescu

Revelations said:

Have you... never read a sales thread before? Or just trolling?

Top Bottom