• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

USD

Cerrius said:
It's pretty clear that the only company that will benefit from strong Wii hardware sales is Nintendo themselves. Much like the previous Nintendo platforms, third parties will be getting the shaft and will suffer from low software sales.

This is the reason why 360 will keep raking in the dough for not only Microsoft but third parties as well.
People may not like to admit it, but there is some truth to this statement, how ever little it may be. Nintendo's software has been the driving force behind its hardware sales for the past 11 years (see N64, GC, GBA, DS). Erase every third party game from the DS lineup and I bet the DS would still be a great success because most of the major software that has lifted the DS (New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc.). On Nintendo systems, there is success and then there is Nintendo success, and few third party games can ever touch Nintendo success, regardless of game quality. This isn't going to stop third parties from putting out games on Wii, but it won't make them the primary platform for development without rapid and continuous hardware expansion (one condition met) and poor third party sales on rival systems. There's of course the possibility the success on meeting the former condition being so overwhelming to a point that the latter condition might become irrelevant.

For the immediate future, I see third parties giving Wii more and more support, but putting their biggest titles out for 360/PS3 (the current trend). If there is any major shift, it will most definitely be from a Japanese developer. We'll see at E3 and TGS how everything really plays out though.

soundwave05 said:
Revelations ... why don't answer these questions, so we can all bookmark your quote and have some fun in future NPD/E3/etc. threads:

Yes or no (according to your crystal ball)

1.) Wii will not get any good third party exclusives from here on out because of these "terrible" sales.

2.) Red Steel and Rayman will be the final big Wii exclusives from Ubi Soft. After all, why not make them for the 360, right?

C'mon, lets see you put your rep where your mouth is. Remember don't think too hard about it.

Why should I make such bold claims? I never said the wii won't get the third party titles. I said selling them will be the hard part.

The Faceless Master said:
oh, so no fabrications this time.

ok.

this time, things will be different.

it's common sense.
:lol

so ****in hopeless.

i'd hardly consider any of what im saying to be a prediction.

i don't see how anyone could argue otherwise unless they're an all out moron.

ksamedi

Revelations said:
More compelling third party software will sell on this system? But I thought there already was compelling software on this system? Shouldn't Rayman Raging Rabbids. And Red Steel have sold more than they did? For a console that NEEDS more compelling games shouldn't these titles be in the multi million selling range by now? Right up there with Nintendo's software? I mean as you say there isn't much to pick from aside from Nintendo's offerings yes?

So tell me how many 360 titles cleared multi million.

unomas

Banned
duderon said:
It's like clockwork.

Looks at the top 10 console software.........looks at the Wii games that sold. Doesn't see a 3rd party/non Nintendo title in sight..........point made.

schuelma said:
Jesus..third parties can SELL- see Rayman, Red Steel, and to a lesser extent Tiger Woods (quick PS2 port outsold 360 and PS3 versions), but overall they won't outsell Nintendo. That doesn't mean they can't be successful.

Please they were launch games (Besides Tiger Woods and that didnt do nearly as well) and a good deal of launch games get boosts they wouldnt get if they were released later. It is not well Nintendo makes good games and 3rd parties make crap. Looking at GameRankings.Com and you see only 6 games with scores greater than 80% and 4 of them lower than 82%.

This actually really puzzles me. You would think that if the Wii is really expanding the market these new people would tend to try a more varied set of games. Yet month after month it is the Nintendo old familar names leading sales (Wii Play doesnt count since it isnt really a game, just a good deal on a needed 2nd controller).

Revelations said:
More compelling third party software will sell on this system? But I thought there already was compelling software on this system? Shouldn't Rayman Raging Rabbids. And Red Steel have sold more than they did? For a console that NEEDS more compelling games shouldn't these titles be in the multi million selling range by now? Right up there with Nintendo's software? I mean as you say there isn't much to pick from aside from Nintendo's offerings yes?

My god, you're obtuse.

fresquito said:
Yeah, look at the chart dude.

The Chart? You mean the chart where the 360 has a varied 4 in the top 10? With the majority being that of third party titles for the system? Each seeling well for the lucrative slow selling summer months? Yeah, I looked.

Branduil

So we're getting close to that time again.
4xwvl1l.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ksamedi said:

According to my quick Google search, 17 titles have been million sellers, only one (Gears) multimillion, though COD2 was pretty close to 2 million.

Welp, here it is June 14th and I still have NEVER SEEN A WII ON A STORE SHELF. These numbers are hardly surprising to me.

MS, on the other hand, is in an interesting position. They absolutely have to cut the price soon. But, do they do it before or after Halo 3 hits?

I personally think they should cut the price at least by the beginning of August to be in better postion for the three headed monster of Madden-Halo3-GTAIV..........

Omnicent

beacuse I posted in the non-official thread (and I don't want to feel like I wasted 1 hour of my life for.... a gif......... *cries*)

Merovingian said:
PS3 VS GBA

fm_45bf606f47f94.gif

next_time.gif

Fixed

Nintendomination overall indeed.

titiklabingapat said:
Is Super Paper Mario over a million now or very close to it? What's the Japanese total?
I'd like to know as well. NPD/MC masters get on it....

Fredescu

USD said:
few third party games can ever touch Nintendo success, regardless of game quality.
Your argument relies on this statement, which is plainly false. The majority of people don't decide whether they will buy a game based on the publisher. Game quality and good marketing sells software.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
siamesedreamer said:
Welp, here it is June 14th and I still have NEVER SEEN A WII ON A STORE SHELF. These numbers are hardly surprising to me.

MS, on the other hand, is in an interesting position. They absolutely have to cut the price soon. But, do they do it before or after Halo 3 hits?

I personally think they should cut the price at least by the beginning of August to be in better postion for the three headed monster of Madden-Halo3-GTAIV..........

I still think they ride the current price till after Halo. If they don't drop after that then most likely the Elite is holding everything back.

OR

They are counting on bundles to carry them through the Christmas season and drop the price after Christmas.

ksamedi

Emerson said:
According to my quick Google search, 17 titles have been million sellers, only one (Gears) multimillion, though COD2 was pretty close to 2 million.

I meant third parties. but tnx anyway.

ksamedi said:

Lol, the 360 software is selling at a varied rate. There isn't just 1 or 2 big third party software hits. There are 17 million selling third party software titles. Not just 2. :lol

Revelations said:
Why should I make such bold claims? I never said the wii won't get the third party titles. I said selling them will be the hard part.

So if the Wii is still going to get third party titles, your point is .... ?

Also, so by your estimation, Red Steel and Rayman have underperformed on the Wii because they haven't sold up to Zelda/Wii Sports levels.

So naturally if they had been on the XBox 360, they would have sold even more?

You can kick, scream, whine, cry about it all you want ... bottom line is this -- any system with a mass userbase and sound economic model will get a good amount of 3rd party loving. There's nothing you can say on a message board that's going to stop that, so I'll save you about 2 years of pointless arguing.

Also pretty much by default, Nintendo taking Japan like they have ensures at least reasonably solid support from all the major Japanese pubs. To the victor go the spoils.

fernoca

Any way to know sales for Mortal Kombat: Armageddon on Wii??

It was released around the end of the month..so I'm expecting like 10,000..hehehe

But someone told me around 50,000..hmm

AniHawk

I'd like to point out that Rayman Raving Rabbids has been released on the 360 and outsold the Wii version by more than twice as much.

fresquito

Revelations said:
The Chart? You mean the chart where the 360 has a varied 4 in the top 10? With the majority being that of third party titles for the system? Each seeling well for the lucrative slow selling summer months? Yeah, I looked.
I mean that chart where there's not a single multimillion game to be seen running on the Xbox360.

At this point there're only three options to justify your behaviour in this thread:

a) You are trolling
b)You're trolling and asking for a ban desperatelly
c) You're trolling, asking for a ban desperatelly and stupid.

jrricky

Banned
Revelations said:

Delicious thread.

Oh yeah, and that comment is just downright stupid. Why would the thought of Red Steel selling similar amounts of what Zelda sold come into your head. Quality is both different. If you check the reviews for Red Steel, I would of expected it to sell less even though I enjoyed the game, but I was in the minority. Third Parties are not Nintendo, people buy their games regardless of reviews, Excibit A: Mario Party 8.

LAMBO

MS and Sony have just given away this gen with their insane prices and created a vacum that nintendo is filling quickly.

$250 super wii with ps3/360 power and features in 2-3 years. Amazing that Sony has killed themselves, MS may not do better than they did last gen, and nintendo may wind up taking over the living room after all. The only way this could get worse for sony/ms is nintendo annouces that the super wii is also a pc running the mac OS.

Javaman

Revelations said:

There are two obvious reasons I can think of off the top of my head. First, Raging Rabbids and Red Steel have been out since launch so their numbers have already peaked, and secondly, they aren't exactly AAA class games. Comparing those to recently released Nintendo 1st party games tells nothing about how other 3rd parties are going to do in the near and far future.

ksamedi

Revelations said:
Lol, the 360 software is selling at a varied rate. There isn't just 1 or 2 big third party software hits. There are 17 million selling third party software titles. Not just 2. :lol

Well the Wii has 7 and its 1 year younger. But you contradict yourself. First you say that Rayman and Redsteel should sell multiple millions but cant name any third party 360 title that did the same.

Ive been wondering if anybody knows a website or has a website that has software sales archived on it. Kind of like vg chartz except not wrong.

fernoca

Guys give some break to Revelations..
He has to log-in to his V G Charts account to dig those numers...he's talking about.. :)

Wyndstryker said:
wow, talk about total domination.

how long was mario party 8 being tracked?

1 week..apparently.

It boggles the mind that some here don't have simple knowledge of how businesses works. Because a third party game does not sell as much as a similar game on 360/PS3 or as much as a Nintendo game means its unsuccessful? Ever hear of a thing called ROI (Return on Investment?). Wii games are low investment type of projects - it doesn't cost as much to make, so they don't need as many copies to sell to make their money. Small little Majesco reported their revenue was way up because of Wii. Chances are if they sunk the kind of money on a PS3 or 360 game, that wouldn't have happened. Besides - didn't Ubi and Activision just admit the games they brought out at launch were pretty poor and apologized for them? Saying they don't sell as much could also mean the games they bring out aren't very high quality either, which has been the case too - and I bet they've still made money off of those poor quality games on Wii too.

USD said:
On Nintendo systems, there is success and then there is Nintendo success, and few third party games can ever touch Nintendo success, regardless of game quality. This isn't going to stop third parties from putting out games on Wii, but it won't make them the primary platform for development without rapid and continuous hardware expansion (one condition met) and poor third party sales on rival systems. There's of course the possibility the success on meeting the former condition being so overwhelming to a point that the latter condition might become irrelevant.

LOL. This is such revisionist nonsense. In the N64 days, no one ever said "3rd party games don't sell." Because lots of them did sell well, though most of the successes were from Midway, Acclaim, and THQ. Instead, people said "N64 doesn't have good 3rd party games." In the gamecube days this is what people said also. People arguing that 3rd party games wouldn't appear on gamecube had much better arguments such as its terrible market penetration and relatively mediocre sales even of most first party games(compared to N64), and the fact that most developers were very obviously focusing their efforts on PS2, except for some western developers focusing on Xbox. "3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo systems" has only become a widespread meme following the amazing success of the DS as people hoping that third party games stay off Nintendo systems clutch at their last straw.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
oh snap! MP 8 still sold THAT well? damn, thats almost like a 1:1 tie in ratio for every wii unit sold in may.

as to the arguments i see below, take this for thought: game's sales are usually cannabolized within 3-4 weeks after release, and then they fall off the charts as lower factors. games like Wii play have a longer shelf high sales life because it has an important component of the system plus a $10 game. its an attractive buy because its more along the lines of "would u like some game with your controller?"

Mario Party 8 probably got the sales it did because of a combination of in store deals (if i remember correctly it was only $40 at several places) and because of an association to previous mario party games. sales will die off at the latest by the july numbers and u wont ever see them again.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well, if it's anything we've learned, is that price is a huge factor right now...

The Wii is selling so much because it's cheap, the PSP got a sudden surge because of its price drop, 360 isn't going up besides the incredible software sales and catalogue, and PS3 ïs losing a battle against a dead, 7 (?) year old handheld...

MS really just seems to be content with squashing the PS3 at no loss, since they aren't even hinting at price drops, and just seems to be fine with selling so much better than them monthly, and making a killing in the software charts - it really looks like they're going to ride this out for a few more months, then go for the kill with Halo 3...

But hey, if MS doesn't seem to be worried, why should we? Sony on the other hand, should be, seeing as we know a price drop is practically out of the question anytime soon cost-wise... MS should really consider what would definitely happen if they shaved off $100 the price...

And oh yes - good show for Forza 2 in just 5 days - well deserved!

Time for bed...

LAMBO

And really 360 software better be selling good. Hardcore gamers are who has bought the thing for the most part, if they aren't buying alot games no one will. $400 consoles, $60 games, $50 a year to play online, expensive peripherals, these prices are directed toward the enthusiast.

Hollywood_mIRC said:
It boggles the mind that some here don't have simple knowledge of how businesses works. Because a third party game does not sell as much as a similar game on 360/PS3 or as much as a Nintendo game means its unsuccessful? Ever hear of a thing called ROI (Return on Investment?). Wii games are low investment type of projects - it doesn't cost as much to make, so they don't need as many copies to sell to make their money. Small little Majesco reported their revenue was way up because of Wii. Chances are if they sunk the kind of money on a PS3 or 360 game, that wouldn't have happened. Besides - didn't Ubi and Activision just admit the games they brought out at launch were pretty poor and apologized for them? Saying they don't sell as much could also mean the games they bring out aren't very high quality either, which has been the case too - and I bet they've still made money off of those poor quality games on Wii too.

Question about Majesco. The only Wii titles I find for it our Cooking Mama, and Bust-A-Move Bash. I suspect this is because it looks like Cooking Mama is selling in UK.

CreatureX3 said:
It's pretty clear that 3rd parties need to create better games that actually equal the standards set by Nintendo's own games, if they want us Nintendo fans to purchase them. :)

It is definitely true that 3rd support for the Wii has been weak . . . a lot of crap games.

But Madden, SSX, Godfather, Mortal Kombat, Marvel ultimate alliance, Elebits, Trauma Center, and other third party games all got better reviews than Mario Party 8 but Mario Party 8 just kicked their butts in sales.

It is not just the game quality, it is also the game type.

Revelations said:
So if Third Parties can't sell thier games on the Wii..I ask again. What incentive is there to make third party titles for this system. If they can't sell to the already 7.5 millionj userbase? The hardware selling rate does not reflect the software selling rate on this console.
Hmm I don't know. Why don't you call up the Wii 3rd party developers of Nights, Rygar, Resident Evil UC, Soul Calibur Legends, Dragon Quest Swords, etc., and ask them? :)

Top Bottom