• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

hawk2025

Nice bump for the U, but goodness at the X1 slump. I expect that's due to the price cut news, but you'd think the various deals that were floating around would have pushed sales a little more...

Next month will be key, if there's no significant boost...MS in dire straits?

It will be down to just how powerful the Halo collection can be.

I don't see Forza Horizon 2 or SO being big console sellers, so it will be up to Halo.

...but then, what's next before Halo 5?

Liamario

Banned
Nice bump for the U, but goodness at the X1 slump. I expect that's due to the price cut news, but you'd think the various deals that were floating around would have pushed sales a little more...

Can't see them not getting a boost at that point. I wonder what they can do if a boost doesn't happen. Another price drop or wait until the end of the year to react.

shink

PS4vWii_201405.png

Gonna cross in the next couple of months it seems.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just woke up, glad to see MK8 doing great, but I must admit I predicted Wii U quite a bit higher.

[PS4] 180K
[XB1] 100K
[3DS] 90K
[360] 50K
[WIU] 110K
[PS3] 30K

probably expecting too much of a mk boost but wth

I guess I was pretty close on PS4, XB1, 360 and 3DS at least?

Another lively graph! Or should I say...pessimistic.

It's a classic GameCube + Wii U comparison graph!

man, that gamecube was smokin'

AniHawk

I'm curious in June NPD numbers purely to see how exactly Reggie was spinning that number. Because I don't expect we'll see the Wii U selling 200K in June.

I'm going to guess that the week of Monday the 30th, sales were 4x higher than the weeks prior, which with 25K people collecting their bundles isn't implausible, and thus the average daily rate of sales was 4x higher. Which matches what Gibson tweeted about a 4.1x week/week increase, if the daily rate was 4x when Reggie was interviewed then the week over week increase should have been much higher upon MK8's release week.

"Prove me wrong, kids. Prove me wrong."

so that first estimate is the most correct- an upper limit for the first week or so of 38,000 could be expected. realistically that's probably closer to 30-32k. maybe sustained sales bring it to 100k for the month, but it's far less of a guarantee.

hawk2025

PS4/wii streams will cross soon, and Xbox One/360 streams a couple months after that.

Destiny blowing up and the Halo collection are the things that can change this prediction. I don't see what else can do it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Was a little unimpressed by Wii U/Mario Kart 8, then I realized they launched with only two days left in the month. That's impressive. Good show by all platforms.

I'm glad people now realize there was almost no Vita stock the last couple of months.
I wonder if they'll sell a non-bundled 2000.

They're doing a little better than their standards, but "well" isn't the correct word.
Below 80k is pretty bad. It's only become almost common since the launch of the Wii U.
I believe in the early, hard years of the struggling PS3 it never dipped below 80k.

well compared to how bad they were doing before is what I meant.

Kacho

I don't see Forza Horizon 2 or SO being big console sellers, so it will be up to Halo.

I just can't see that collection having much of an impact.

PS4/wii streams will cross soon, and Xbox One/360 streams a couple months after that.

Destiny blowing up and the Halo collection are the things that can change this prediction. I don't see what else can do it.

I thin PS4/wii will cross and then cross back with destiny and the holidays. One/360 wont cross till well into next year imo

Kurt

just came to say that watchdog is a multiplatform release.
Those sales numbers are from all consoles combined? Right?

That market was key to the PS2 selling 155 million units. Wii just had a laser focus on them. This is why separating it completely is folly. I mean... was there any console in the PS2 generation that was completely analogous to Wii? No, but they couldn't have all been core oriented could they? If they were we already saw a large contraction from the PS2 generation to PS3.

PS2 generation home consoles sold 210 million units. If we exclude Wii we saw a contraction of around 50 million units gen on gen. With Wii the market grew by 50 million units.

Either way the home console market has either already contracted heavily or is gearing up for a contraction.

Or the answer is somewhere in between. A significant share of the PS2's casual audience migrated to the Wii, but the Wii also managed to attract a significant share of blue ocean gamers. Both of these groups Nintendo has managed to alienate with the Wii U, but the implications of alienating either one are different.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U most likely outsold the Xbox One in May on a WW basis. And with the post MK8/E3 effect, I expect it to last for a while.

PS4 is eating in MS market following the PS2 lead = as if last gen barely existed.

I'm happy to see the Vita rebound, hopefully entering a virtuous circle thanks to PS4 success.

I think Sunset has the potential to push consoles, depends on the marketing campaign though. It's unique enough that it will catch people's attentions and it's doing something that isn't available on either the PS4/U so that alone should push sales.

I doubt it will be a huge system seller, but I also don't believe it won't have any impact at all either.

Can't see them not getting a boost at that point. I wonder what they can do if a boost doesn't happen. Another price drop or wait until the end of the year to react.

Yeah, the size of the boost really. If it's only a slight boost compared to this month, that surely won't be a good sign for them. They can't continue to cut the price either as that would only push people to wait for the next price cut and slow sales down even more...

MS sure are in a pickle. Nearly a year later and they still haven't recovered fully from their pre-release DRM/PR nightmare.

RexNovis

Banned
Angles.

Not perfectly precise, (adds slight over 360, measurement error).

Who uses a protractor these days, lol.

7.989 = Wii
37.011 = Wii U = 60k
22.38 = PS3
120.385 = PS4
35.091 = 360
47.999 = XB1
54.504 = 3DS
35.072 = PS Vita

then 60/37.11 allow conversion so

Wii/7.989 = 60/37.011
Wii = 12.9k

PS3/22.38 = 60/37.011
PS3 = 36.3k

PS4/120.385 = 60/37.011
PS4 = 195.2k

360/35.091 = 60/37.011
360 = 56.887k

XB1/47.999 = 60/37.011
XB1 = 77.8k

3DS/54.504 = 60/37.011
3DS = 88.4k

Vita/35.072 = 60/37.011
Vita = 56.856k

So in order of total sales
  1. PS4 = 195.2k
  2. 3DS = 88.4k
  3. XB1 = 77.8k
  4. WiiU = 60k
  5. 360 = 56.887k
  6. Vita = 56.856k
  7. PS3 = 36.3k
  8. Wii = 12.9k

Edit: Beaten by a MILE Sigh

Using 61K Wii U as base. In 000s.

Code:
WII	13
WIU	61
PS3	37
PS4	198
360	58
XBO	79
3DS	90
PSV	58

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Borderlands 2 was evidently a humongous system seller for the Vita going by the month on month percentage rise.

Good stuff.

borderlands 2 + Vita 2000 launch + no Vita 1000s available in the prior month

So May might be an artificial increase for Vita, like June is likely to be for Xbox (pent up demand from previous month)

mo60

The PS4/Wii will cross streams multiple times throughout this gen, but market forces may actually prevent the PS4 from crossing streams with the Wii for the rest of the gen in NA in about a year or so.The same may apply to other markets worldwide.

SmokyDave

borderlands 2 + Vita 2000 launch + no Vita 1000s available in the prior month

So May might be an artificial increase for Vita, like June is likely to be for Xbox (pent up demand from previous month)
I know dude ;)

Regardless, I'm running with the narrative that Borderlands 2 is the largest system seller that any platform has seen this year. The percentages don't lie!

hawk2025

I think Sunset has the potential to push consoles, depends on the marketing campaign though. It's unique enough that it will catch people's attentions and it's doing something that isn't available on either the PS4/U so that alone should push sales.

I doubt it will be a huge system seller, but I also don't believe it won't have any impact at all either.

Yeah, the size of the boost really. If it's only a slight boost compared to this month, that surely won't be a good sign for them. They can't continue to cut the price either as that would only push people to wait for the next price cut and slow sales down even more...

MS sure are in a pickle. Nearly a year later and they still haven't recovered fully from their pre-release DRM/PR nightmare.

Well, that's why I said "big" push. Small ones don't turn this around, it only holds back the bleeding temporarily.

The console needs to pick up momentum, and that will requires big, big releases with legs. If the unbundling or Halo Collection don't do much, they are out of moves until Fall 2015.

wapplew

SO and FH2 sure not as big as Titanfall, but these exclusives plus decent multiplatform games will give Xbox one a push for a great holiday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know dude ;)

Regardless, I'm running with the narrative that Borderlands 2 is the largest system seller that any platform has seen this year. The percentages don't lie!

sorry, it was early in the morning and I was taking posts literally. I should know better :p

quetz67

Banned
Nice bump for the U, but goodness at the X1 slump. I expect that's due to the price cut news

It was no price cut, it was a feature cut.

150K for XB1, believe! I see a small chance for PS4 and XB1 crossing streams for one month. I see a real price cut or $399 game bundles coming this holiday season (for both actually - Sony probably don't want sales to slow down because of lackluster lineup at end of year).

Fox Mulder

I don't really see why someone would immediately jump on a $399 xb1 with nothing when the $450 sales came with a game, Live, and Kinect.

I'm waiting to see holiday bundles or another sale before buying one.

I thought Sony would be able to announce 10 million at E3 with with the crazy pace of the ps4.

PS4 US LTD just gained another 118k lead in a single spring month :\

I have PS4 US LTD at 3301k and XB1 US LTD at 2718k or a difference of 583k or 21.5%

And the YTD difference is 44.6%

Thats pretty telling and its only NPD, something the 360 used to wipe the floor with PS3. Imagine the EU situation.

DKC: 258k
LRFF: PS3 135k, 360 71k
PVZGW: ONE 257k, 360 150k
FFHD PS3: 259k
SP: 360 279k, PS3 228k
TF: ONE 969k, 360 559k
DS2: 360 212k PS3 209k
SS: 617k
MGSDEMO: total 357k, PS4>50%

SE JRPG SALES (JP+US)

FF13: LR: 625k
BD: 553k

FFX HD: 801k

Look at this.....just look at it Square. Stare at it. You know what to do. Now do it:

Bruno MB

Bravely Default is having good legs, it shouldn't have any trouble reaching over 300,000 units at retail. On the contrary, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII collapsed quickly, just 41,000 extra units in the last 3 months.

Launch month:

[3DS] Bravely Default (Nintendo) {02/07/14} - 160,000
[PS3 - 360] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {02/11/14} - 165,000
[PS3 - PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) {03/18/14} - 260,000

LTD sales as of May 31, 2014:

[3DS] Bravely Default (Nintendo) {02/07/14} - 258,000 (+ 98,000, 3 months)
[PS3 - 360] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {02/11/14} - 206,000 (+ 41,000, 3 months)
[PS3 - PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) {03/18/14} - 334,000 (+ 74,000, 2 months)

If they had the more powerful system they'd have recovered by now IMO. They lost the goodwill and momentum at the start and haven't done enough to move the needle since.

Whether sticker-price parity is enough, I guess npd in 2 months will show (next month likely skewed too)

Tommy DJ

I don't really see why someone would immediately jump on a $399 xb1 with nothing when the $450 sales came with a game, Live, and Kinect.

I'm waiting to see holiday bundles or another sale before buying one.

I thought Sony would be able to announce 10 million at E3 with with the crazy pace of the ps4.

That's the problem I have with the Kinectless Xbone. I guess its an official price drop so its easier to find information about but its not like the Titanfall bundle price drops were obscure. Every major retailer did the same $450 bundle and a quick Google search would tell you which retailer would provide the most value. Some of those bundles provided way more value than the PS4 (assuming the PS4/Xbone are 100% interchangeable to the general consumer).

I don't imagine people are so repulsed by the Kinect that they absolutely refuse to touch anything with a Kinect. This new package is way worse than the $450 Titanfall + retailer bundles so if they didn't want to buy that package, I also agree with the idea that people probably don't want this new Kinectless package either.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, given the numbers we have

Watch Dogs - > 1,200,000
Watch Dogs PS3 - > 575,000
Watch Dogs One - > 362,500
Watch Dogs 360 - > 175,000
Watch Dogs PS3 - > 132,000

Mario Kart 8 without bundle - 352,000

Wolfenstein: The New Order - < 352,000
Wolfenstein PS4 - < 144,320
Wolfenstein One - < 133,760
Wolfenstein 360 - < 45,760
Wolfenstein PS3 - < 28,160

Bgamer90

Banned
If they had the more powerful system they'd have recovered by now IMO. They lost the goodwill and momentum at the start and haven't done enough to move the needle since.

Whether sticker-price parity is enough, I guess npd in 2 months will show (next month likely skewed too)

Power wouldn't have done much. Price helped the PS4 as well as a much more positive pre-release build up.

Xbox One will stay number two worldwide and will do solid during the Holiday season. At this point I would say the rankings are set in stone. Not much left to discuss unless a system gets a game that's the next big craze.

wapplew

That's the problem I have with the Kinectless Xbone. I guess its an official price drop but if you had any single bit of access to social media or the internet, you probably would have heard about the insane $450 deals that came with Titanfall and some other shit that actually provided way more value than the PS4 (assuming the PS4/Xbone are 100% interchangeable to the general consumer).

I don't imagine people are so repulsed by the Kinect that they absolutely refuse to touch anything with a Kinect. This new package is way worse than the $450 Titanfall + retailer bundles so if they didn't want to buy that package, I also agree with the idea that people probably don't want this new Kinectless package either.

I guess that's the whole point of Kinectless Xbone, to make Xbone with Kinect look like a great deal.
Plus show some good will by provide option to gamer.

So, given the numbers we have

Wolfenstein: The New Order - < 352,000
Wolfenstein PS4 - < 144,320
Wolfenstein One - < 133,760
Wolfenstein 360 - < 45,760
Wolfenstein PS3 - < 28,160

I'm most curious to see what sales expectations were for Wolfenstein. Would love MachineGames to get more work because of it. Fantastic SP FPS

the week of Destiny's release at the latest imo

Forgot. Destiny's in September right? Then definitely by end of September

quetz67

Banned
Optimistically I'll say they hit 10M in August, pessimistically October

It would need to have slowed down to 50% after March (don't see any signs pointing to that) to be 10M only in October. With the release of the Destiny Bundle is the most pessimistic I can think of.

Top Bottom