• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

What do you mean by "I like that?" Is that for 3D World?

Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing what are the outliers for the 250K/150K club? Apart from W101 and 3rd party bombs? Actually did any non-exclusive title hit 100K? JD? A Lego game?

@Aqua - Any idea how far behind 3D World is tracking behind Sunshine? (I assume that's the case).

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for answering them =).

3D World is indeed tracking behind Sunshine.

Super Mario Sunshine (Aug. 2002 - Feb. 2003, 7 months of tracking): 1.04 million

Super Mario 3D World (Nov. 2013 - May 2014, 7 months of tracking): ~770K

Hmm I'm always curious on the epic battle of TW101 and Tearaway myself

Although I imagine with the Vita's performance, that's pretty one-sided by now

not sure how that makes losing a potential half a billion units of software is a good thing for really any business, especially if that consumer base was swallowed up by a large competing element that they have no big stake in, and one that is training new gamers to buy more games at inexpensive prices instead of a premium.

Most big pubs do have a stake there, some of them a growing stake. Just because king and gungho are the big winners doesn't mean EA and Square etc aren't there.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hmm I'm always curious on the epic battle of TW101 and Tearaway myself

Although I imagine with the Vita's performance, that's pretty one-sided by now

Well W101 had kind of "run away" with that a while back in all honesty. Wasn't it like 74K (W101) vs. 49K (Tearaway) with the last #s we got? Maybe the Vita sales this month added a tremendous 5K to Tearaway sales?

Well W101 had kind of "run away" with that a while back in all honesty. Wasn't it like 74K (W101) vs. 49K (Tearaway) with the last #s we got? Maybe the Vita sales this month added a tremendous 5K to Tearaway sales?

You're probably right. I don't keep track of SW sales so well and tend to forget LTD's

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well MK8 just took the #1 spot for a game (I don't count Thief Gold's sales when it was free) on Amazon's best sellers of 2014. Just passed Titanfall on the XB1 and has taken #9 overall. That was pretty fast o.o.

3D World also has been climbing that charts a lot lately. Just went from #72 (below Watch Dogs XB1) to #67 in like a day or two? o.o

AniHawk

Most big pubs do have a stake there, some of them a growing stake. Just because king and gungho are the big winners doesn't mean EA and Square etc aren't there.

the point was they may have had a big stake in those 500m units, where they don't in this relatively new and far different landscape. i'm saying it's a significant loss.

jnWake

Well MK8 just took the #1 spot for a game (I don't count Thief Gold's sales when it was free) on Amazon's best sellers of 2014. Just passed Titanfall on the XB1 and has taken #9 overall. That was pretty fast o.o.

The thirst is real!

Only for the game though. Poor Wii U :(

You have them mixed up a bit.

Here are the numbers we have:

The Wonderful 101

Sep. 2013 - <20K LTD but very close to 20K (launch)

Dec. 2013 - 49K LTD

Feb. 2014 - 65K LTD

Apr. 2014 - 74K LTD

Tearaway

Nov. 2013 - 14K (launch)

Dec. 2013 - 50K LTD

Jan. 2014 - <3.3K

Feb. 2014 - 56K LTD

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

The Wonderful 101

Dec. 2013 - 49K LTD

Feb. 2014 - 65K LTD

Apr. 2014 - 74K LTD

Tearaway

Nov. 2013 - 14K (launch)

Dec. 2013 - 50K LTD

Jan. 2014 - <3.3K

Feb. 2014 - 56K LTD

Ah ok. I guess I was wrong then. If I keep spouting out wrong things can I be rewarded with LTDs?

@Aqua Lego City Undercover sold 500K so far in the US =P. Also I think a better nickname (at least compared to one related to your avatar) could be "Sales sister". Just put it to the Soul Sister tune =).

LOCK

The Wonderful 101

Dec. 2013 - 49K LTD

Feb. 2014 - 65K LTD

Apr. 2014 - 74K LTD

Tearaway

Nov. 2013 - 14K (launch)

Dec. 2013 - 50K LTD

Jan. 2014 - <3.3K

Feb. 2014 - 56K LTD
So W101 could be around 80k as of May.

It is actually a consistent seller.

I don't wanna be a dick . . . but perhaps the OP could be updated?

Or have there been some summaries of the new hard data?

All of the hardware numbers this month except for Wii U came from leaks.

The OP can only contain official, verified numbers from websites / journalists.

But I can assure you, that doesn't make the leaks any less credible. You just have to hunt for them instead of reading only the first post of the thread. :p

AniHawk

I'm always genuinely interested in hearing your points. But I don't know that the PS2 had historically bad tie ratio through it's life, or even in early life. I believe you have access to more data than I, so I'm fine with being shown though. It reached about 6 games per system, after about 20 months, from what I can find. It didn't track particularly poorly against it's contemporaries. The 360 did happen to have a particularly good tie ratio from memory, but even then took about the same amount of time to reach 6 games per system I believe. It's also harder to maintain or increase a tie ratio when the base is expanding faster, for obvious reasons.

So I'm just not in favor of the idea that the system's driver was it's ability to play DVDs, rather than the ability to play games, with the bonus of being a DVD player.

yeah, sales exploded after the release of big games, both expected and unexpected (hello gta iii). i don't think that demonstrates that first year on the market where it had no software going for it, and you seem to be applying recent market trends to explain a console's success from 14 years ago. context is important.

I thought we were discussing the validity or not of removing data for the purposes of analysis and whether it created a more or less meaningful picture. I think DVD was a selling point throughout the life of the system. But I also think that gaming software was the primary point of purchase for the majority of its sales, and for much of its 6th gen life-cycle the software that defined the system didn't particularly deviate from the traditional market.

well i wasn't arguing that. i was arguing that there are comparisons to be made between the ps2's early success and the wii's early success. the sustained success of each stem from different factors.

I also think it's entirely possible for consumer tastes to change, regardless of if one keeps outputting the same thing, as the individuals who comprise the market segment shift. They grow up in different environments, economies, etc. The 16 year old in 1990 eagerly awaiting the next Super Mario, is 40 now. The 16 year old boy in 2000 eagerly awaiting the next Final Fantasy, is 30 now. The 16 year old now is eagerly awaiting the next Call of Duty. In 20 years time that 16 year old may want something entirely different, on the assumption we have consoles at all. That isn't to say that fanbases necessarily vanish, but I think they can diminish, or move as you note, and that movement can be due to circumstances outside of control (for instance you note the shift to handhelds in Japan).

As aforementioned, I think the primary market of the PS2 was playing different games/franchises/genres, but I don't think the people (demographically) that comprised that market is hugely different to that which drove the PS3 and 360 and that which is driving the XBO/PS4 now and going forward. I think there was certainly a market segment within the PS2's installed base particularly conducive to the types of games the Wii brought, with things like DDR and SingStar, and whether that's still present is a question. But I don't think that was the primary driver of it's success and it came later in the cycle, so it's far too early to me to determine whether they return. I could certainly be wrong.

well i do think the market that predominantly led the market on the ps2 is markedly different than anything that came since. the million sellers were found in sonic the hedgehog games, in jak and daxter games, in grand theft auto games, in metal gear solid, spongebob squarepants, final fantasy, splinter cell, guitar hero, socom, ace combat, eye toy, dragon quest, and tekken. the ps3's landscape was far less dynamic, and the ps4's looks to be ever more so.

OP is up to date with all officially acquired information I'm pretty sure

There is another summary of other information though

It's IGN so go figure

All of the hardware numbers this month except for Wii U came from leaks.

The OP can only contain official, verified numbers from websites / journalists.

But I can assure you, that doesn't make the leaks any less credible. You just have to hunt for them instead of reading only the first post of the thread. :p
Thanks! Much appreciated. :)

weird question, but do you have viewtiful joe's numbers?

GameCube:

102K first month.

~190K LTD at the end of 2003.

~300K LTD at the end of 2004.

Any year after that is trivial.

PS2:

9K first month.

66K LTD at the end of 2004.

~100K LTD at the end of 2005.

unlike some people (not you), i don't think userbases vanish into thin air- the thought is preposterous to me. the only way fanbases completely die off is if no one is appealing to their sensibilities anymore.

Sort of related to this point, is that a group of consumers the Wii attracted that don't really fall into the 'casual' audience bracket but also don't fall into the 'hardcore' bracket are those userbases who drifted away from gaming because they werent being served anymore - I mean, the resurgence of 2D platformers in both the indie space and on the DS / Wii would include people from this group.

Mascot platformers were a dime a dozen in the 16bit days, and the genre was pretty comprehensively killed off with the transition to 3D games - I don't think the NSMB titles would have had anything like the success they had if they hadn't attracted some of the 'lapsed' audience.

You can also see this with the resurgence of other genres via things like kickstarter; point and click adventures, old school western style CRPGs, space exploration... these are genres publishers made a cost decision about at some point, and literally discarded entire games purchasing audiences for.

Market consolidation into a few genres is really harmful to overall industry health, because generally speaking people don't only buy titles in one genre, but if their favourite genre is no longer catered for don't stick around to play lesser favourites.

AniHawk

Nintendo don't give breakdown for software sales. What is the source for this 500m 3rd party sales figure?

i got 355m for first-party games from here. there are more games that didn't hit 1m units but still would have added to the total, and probably additional units sold but not updated on that list (so only nintendo would know them). another question mark would be virtual console sales. i'm not sure if all of those things combine for another 40m, or exceed it or whatever, but i think 500m is a pretty safe estimate.

noobie

Banned
GameCube:

102K first month.

~190K LTD at the end of 2003.

~300K LTD at the end of 2004.

Any year after that is trivial.

PS2:

9K first month.

66K LTD at the end of 2004.

~100K LTD at the end of 2005.

can you kindly give MLB 14(PS4) and MLB 14 (All Versions) LTD? or some range if possible.

So depending on what massive-selling 1st Party titles are not included on that list
It seems to be based on software units shipped, so the big missing title is Wii Sports presumably.
yeah, sales exploded after the release of big games, both expected and unexpected (hello gta iii). i don't think that demonstrates that first year on the market where it had no software going for it, and you seem to be applying recent market trends to explain a console's success from 14 years ago. context is important.well i wasn't arguing that. i was arguing that there are comparisons to be made between the ps2's early success and the wii's early success. the sustained success of each stem from different factors.
I think while it's relatively impossible to verify, it's entirely plausible for people to be buying a system with poor current releases with a view towards future releases even (and perhaps especially) at launch. In doing so a game or two may suffice for now as a tipping point, someone may ostensibly be purchasing the PS4 for Knack but in reality they're getting it for all the games to come. Hardware purchases are after all a one-off cost of entry towards 5-7 years of functional use.

It may be as you say, that DVD was the tipping point I suppose, rather than whatever software was available at launch. I don't know if there's something to show that many people were buying it without any games, or primarily towards playing DVDs any more than there is to suggest that they could have been buying it for future software.

Meanwhile, would you agree that the overall software drivers and demographics that produced a successful Wii were quite different from that which traditionally drove the console space? And if so, wouldn't you agree that at times it is useful to take subsets of total information to get a better picture?
well i do think the market that predominantly led the market on the ps2 is markedly different than anything that came since. the million sellers were found in sonic the hedgehog games, in jak and daxter games, in grand theft auto games, in metal gear solid, spongebob squarepants, final fantasy, splinter cell, guitar hero, socom, ace combat, eye toy, dragon quest, and tekken. the ps3's landscape was far less dynamic, and the ps4's looks to be ever more so.
I can see less dynamism, sure. Publishers went after COD and GTA dollars, towards open worlds and shooting. But I don't think that necessarily implies a markedly different demographic make-up.

not sure how that makes losing a potential half a billion units of software is a good thing for really any business, especially if that consumer base was swallowed up by a large competing element that they have no big stake in, and one that is training new gamers to buy more games at inexpensive prices instead of a premium.

I did not say it was good, what i am saying is it won´t have effect on pubs who don´t cater to Wii demographics. So lose of the Wii audience won´t effect pubs who cater to 15-35 year old crowds. Devs who make COD, BF, AC, GTA, won´t be effected since the audience is still there. Ubisoft might be effected because they lose a lot of Just Dance money. But i don´t see it effecting Ubi much in terms of business strategy and future projects.

i got 355m for first-party games from here. there are more games that didn't hit 1m units but still would have added to the total, and probably additional units sold but not updated on that list (so only nintendo would know them). another question mark would be virtual console sales. i'm not sure if all of those things combine for another 40m, or exceed it or whatever, but i think 500m is a pretty safe estimate.

I guess the Wii had a ton of smaller 1st Party Nintendo games sell well that really add up then?

It seems to be based on software units shipped, so the big missing title is Wii Sports presumably.

Wii Sports is on the list at 82M though

AniHawk

It may be as you say, that DVD was the tipping point I suppose, rather than whatever software was available at launch. I don't know if there's something to show that many people were buying it without any games, or primarily towards playing DVDs any more than there is to suggest that they could have been buying it for future software.

for me, i can't really find any talk of the system and about the games it will have versus what the machine did and its power at the time. it also runs counter to how game consoles used to sell- really slowly without a system seller. in fact, this was the case until the ps4 and xbox one, where demand seems to be built on what you say, although i believe it's more that that audience has been trained to buy everything frontloaded after last gen. we'll have to see how the year plays out though.

Meanwhile, would you agree that the overall software drivers and demographics that produced a successful Wii were quite different from that which traditionally drove the console space? And if so, wouldn't you agree that at times it is useful to take subsets of total information to get a better picture?

i was never really arguing that point.

I can see less dynamism, sure. Publishers went after COD and GTA dollars, towards open worlds and shooting. But I don't think that necessarily implies a markedly different demographic make-up.

less kids, fewer casual players. probably fewer women to boot. they used to be responsible for software that moved on the ps2, and that changed when video game consoles and games became prohibitively expensive to them.

and like mr nyarlatothep said, if i do fit in the demographic, and my favorite genre is no longer being represented, i'm not going to suddenly want to try out that madden game everyone's talked up so much. i'm just going to try and find my favorite genre elsewhere, or i just won't play games i guess.

AniHawk

I guess the Wii had a ton of smaller 1st Party Nintendo games sell well that really add up then?

that is my personal assumption- it's where i'm drawing the 500m number from. it's really just an estimate, but i believe it's fairly close ((355m+missing million units) + third-party sales = 895m). it could be more than 40m unaccounted for, or it could be less. i would be surprised if there was say, another 100m units nintendo sold on the platform that's tucked away somewhere.

Fair enough. Wii had many smaller titles that didn''t make the charts, but I guess they add up a lot together

Wii Sports is on the list at 82M though
Oh I didn't see it, strange table ordering.
its power at the time.
Wouldn't this talk fall into the realm of the "buying for future potential"? At launch these current systems are being sold on a lot of gaming promise rather than current reality, as were the last gen systems I believe. Was it notably different back then with the PS2, my very imperfect memory may be failing me.
less kids, fewer casual players. probably fewer women to boot. they used to be responsible for software that moved on the ps2, and that changed when video game consoles and games became prohibitively expensive to them.

and like mr nyarlatothep said, if i do fit in the demographic, and my favorite genre is no longer being represented, i'm not going to suddenly want to try out that madden game everyone's talked up so much. i'm just going to try and find my favorite genre elsewhere, or i just won't play games i guess.
Depending on how you're defining casual players, I could agree of disagree - i.e. if you're referring to purchase habits rather than genre inclinations, the people who only buying a few games then I don't know whether that's changed dramatically, not sure if there's data to look at for this. I think the long cycle definitely delayed adoption on the HD consoles by other audiences last gen (i.e. pre-teens, children, family-oriented markets) but again I think these are more back-end of adoption curve buyers; I think it's too soon to see the degree these audiences have or haven't moved. The design of the current systems actually probably lends a lot better to cost reduction and eventual more family-friendly prices.

We also seem to be talking about different things with regard to demographics, where I'm referring to an age/gender segment and you're seemingly referring specifically to genre segments. The favourite genre of the teen gamer now is seemingly the GTA style open world game or the CoD style shooter. The genre of choice for teen gamers in days gone by was the likes of JRPGs or platformers depending on a given time period. The producers may ultimately still be catering to the same demographic's current tastes, while one may not fall into that demographic anymore.

I guess to look analogously what are 25-35 year olds watching on television now, what were 25-35 year olds watching on television 20 years ago. The 25-35 year olds from 20 years ago are now 45-55. If I'm tailoring my programming to the tastes of 25-35 year olds now just as I have been for 20 years, that may not meet the tastes of 45-55 year olds, but I'm still catering to the same market I was then.

StevieP

Banned
I did not say it was good, what i am saying is it won´t have effect on pubs who don´t cater to Wii demographics. So lose of the Wii audience won´t effect pubs who cater to 15-35 year old crowds. Devs who make COD, BF, AC, GTA, won´t be effected since the audience is still there. Ubisoft might be effected because they lose a lot of Just Dance money. But i don´t see it effecting Ubi much in terms of business strategy and future projects.

It certainly does affect them. All of them. Your example of Ubisoft in particular said it was funding larger games for "you" by selling a ton of cheaper-to-make games for "them". Taking half a billion pieces of software (with full siZed royalty cuts) out of your coffers is not good for anyone's bottom line.

Melchiah

then there must be some confusion, because i'm really only talking about the early part of the ps2's life where the dvd was a novelty and the ps2 was valuable because of it, and not its software library.
yeah, sales exploded after the release of big games, both expected and unexpected (hello gta iii). i don't think that demonstrates that first year on the market where it had no software going for it, and you seem to be applying recent market trends to explain a console's success from 14 years ago. context is important.

The myth of no games still lives on, when in reality the PS2 had an amazing first year software-wise.

hybKs5Ql.jpg

I have a hard time believing people in Europe bought a 500€ console just for the DVD player. I personally bought it at November 2000 launch for SSX, and the games in the near horizon, like Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, and Final Fantasy X.

The myth of no games still lives on, when in reality the PS2 had an amazing first year software-wise.

I have a hard time believing people in Europe bought a 500€ console just for the DVD player. I personally bought it at November 2000 launch for SSX, and the games in the near horizon, like Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, and Final Fantasy X.

Except it launched in March 2000.

jvm

Gamasutra.

hybKs5Ql.jpg

I bought 8 of those 10 titles, several on the day they launched. What a magical time that was.

hybKs5Ql.jpg

Greatest holiday lineup to ever exist in gaming.

Jesus, I wish Japan would gets its ass in gear.

hybKs5Ql.jpg

Woah, THAT was the Q4 2001 lineup? Damn.

Top Bottom