• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

AHA-Lambda

Gaming Industry has basically become Hollywood but much worse:

pVUV4uE.png

And Need For Speed and WWE had releases as well this year, but they didn't end top ten.

Christ, that is depressing.

rockx4

It really didn't seem that way, at least to me. They were still not getting 3rd party games and their line-up was still barren for the most part, with an enormous focus on platformers.

I viewed it as a sign of more games to come, and more 3rd party games and collaborations which unfortunately never showed up.

AzaK

I hate to say it but it sucks to be Nintendo right now.

I mean what can you really do??

Playing me too this gen and trying to rush out a on-par system to the ps4/xbone which will undoubtedly either be barren with first party titles or see them rushed due to the switch seems like a fools gamble. People are likely to just ignore the system the same as wiiU. PS4 and bone will already have a huge lead and primary developer support.

Do you just drag this systems death crawl out for a few more years while risking further damage to your brand while you restructure?

Do you exit the console business for this gen after next year and try again in a few years trying to spearhead nextgen? Can you even afford that? Probably not.

Build a 3DS successor thats also a console hybrid?

Try and jump on the Occullus rift bandwagon and build a new console around that?

I mean honestly talk about the war chest all you want but I just don't know what they realistically do even if they spend all of that money.

They won't do that. They will keep trying to lift the system as they have some big hitters coming next year. There's always a chance, no matter how slim, that they can get a little momentum so I think they will keep going for it. If it ends up a GC 2, then they'll probably be happy they survived and made some profit and try again with something insane like the they did with the Wii.

• Not surprised at Wii U numbers. Nintendo is fucked with that platform.
  • Am surprised by the 'average' 3DS numbers (especially with the three flavours on the market). This doesn't bode well.
  • LOL at Major Nelson's shitty spinning. The Xbox did well, but don't kid yourself.
  • The Dreamcast is doing okay.

LOL, right. Nintendo said 9 million by March. What are they smoking?

WiiU is at like 4 million right now, right? They would have to sell a million a month just to reach that, right?

NO, it's much worse.

The 9 million was only for the financial year period of April 2013 to April 2014. It's closer to 2 million a month needed.

Mobile menace is real and is here sooner than most thought.

Sooner? You must be kidding. Mobile was supposed to kill the 3DS before it even arrived. Every single story about the 3DS was either a flat statement that it couldn't succeed, or a loaded question: "Can the 3DS compete with mobile? Over a billion phones were sold in the last quarter!".

Linkhero1

Goodness. I'm honestly shocked (not really) at Nintendo's incompetence. They mishandled the Wii U so bad from the moment they announced it to the world.

Sandfox

I hate to say it but it sucks to be Nintendo right now.

I mean what can you really do??

Playing me too this gen and trying to rush out a on-par system to the ps4/xbone which will undoubtedly either be barren with first party titles or see them rushed due to the switch seems like a fools gamble. People are likely to just ignore the system the same as wiiU. PS4 and bone will already have a huge lead and primary developer support.

Do you just drag this systems death crawl out for a few more years while risking further damage to your brand while you restructure?

Do you exit the console business for this gen after next year and try again in a few years trying to spearhead nextgen? Can you even afford that? Probably not.

Build a 3DS successor thats also a console hybrid?

Try and jump on the Occullus rift bandwagon and build a new console around that?

I mean honestly talk about the war chest all you want but I just don't know what they realistically do even if they spend all of that money.
There are things they can do going forward and it could very well be something we don't see coming.

Actually a very good point.

But then again it was also the work of Sony's good PR moves since Feb when they announced the PS4.

It was all strategy that paid off for Sony, and MS shooting themselves in the foot.

It's like the Universe is re-aligning itself.

Absolutely. Sony's nimble marketing has been phenomenal, and without a doubt contributed to this hard-fought success. The Sony execs capitalised on every misstep the Microsoft camp made.

E3 was like a public evisceration of old, complete with baying crowds and an axe-wielding executioner.

170312630-473x315.jpg

Log4Girlz

Stick a fork in it. Wii U is done. Consoles need to have momentum built up over its first year. Wii U has none. Its dead in Japan and EU and now the US.

VanWinkle

The casual audience has, for the most part, left consoles. The problem here is that Nintendo has made a console that doesn't appeal to the core gamer, the ones who are still out there buying consoles left and right. There's a HUGE console market out there still, as PS4 and XB1 sales has proven, but Nintendo is making a console instead for a bygone demographic. They SHOULD have had a fleshed out online feature set that appealed to core gamers. They SHOULD have fleshed out and expanded their IPs to include those more "mature" audiences who, like it or not, buy and play console games. They should have had increased media functionality with local media playback and Blu-Ray/DVD playback. They should have gotten rid of Miis and, more importantly, the Wii name. The Wii name is for a demographic that no longer wants consoles.

I still WANT Mario games, and Pikmin games, etc. But Nintendo NEEDS to realize that their IPs need massive expanding. The third parties aren't coming, so MAKE a great mature action adventure game in the vein of Uncharted, MAKE a great first-person shooter with fleshed out online play and a great campaign, MAKE some great sports games. I just WISH Nintendo understood this stuff.

Ecotic

If Iwata is to leave and Nintendo is to change directions then the window of opportunity to act is 1 year from now at the most. It takes years to develop a strategy, develop the console and software around such a strategy in time for the next generation.

Downhome

I predicted, like many did earlier in the year, that the Wii U would make an incredible rebound this holiday season and really turn it around with Mario, Pikmin 3, etc... and it would ultimately play out much like the 3DS sales. I was wrong, I admit that now. With these numbers, I'm ready to prepare myself for the death of the Wii U. If they didn't do any better than that this holiday season then I don't think anything major will happen over the next year.

At this point I expect fewer and fewer third party games/exclusives, and I expect the Nintendo first party titles to slow down even more than they have been already. It wouldn't shock me if they start to prepare to convert titles that are in the early stages of development from the WIi U to whatever they may decide to come up with next. There sill still be games for the Wii U, and I'll buy most of them and enjoy the hell out of them, but any visions I had of it truly turning around at all are now dead.

I'm going to enjoy what the system has already given me, and enjoy the titles that are to come, and nothing more and nothing less.

I'm shocked Nintendo didn't do some sort of ambassador program for the Wii U. If one of the two Nintendo systems needed something like that to say thanks to their loyal customers, it was the Wii U. As a huge Nintendo fan, a lifelong fan, this really hits me right in the gut. :(

I dont get everyone stating that the Wii U is dead. Its not, Nintendo will continue to operate and support the console for another 3 years at least. The worst thing Nintendo could do is pull a Saturn on the console. It would damage their brand forever.

The top 10 is terrible, this industry is so commercialize now. Im glad I have a Wii U for the different type of games it offers.

Why though? WiiU is 20x more appealing to me than the Wii was. It's really sad to see a console with an actual controller get punished like this.

The Wii should have been hammered like this, not the WiiU.

The Wii targeted a market, and did so really we'll. Who's the Wii U targeted at?

Holy sh** at Dreamcast/Wii U comparison. Nintendo is finished. They need to cut their losses with Wii U, go back to the drawing board, and come up with a new device soon.

Man, seeing the low 3DS+Wii U figures juxtaposed with that utterly garbage top 10 list is disgusting. What has this industry become.

Needless to say, 3DS sales were disappointing but the Wii U is abominable. I don't get it. 220,000 for the one company that isn't trying to monetize every menu command.

Well, as they say, if that's what the market wants, that's what it wants, however foolish it may be. The Wii U probably won't get prematurely killed, so those of us who have one won't get fucked.

For the next generation I am thinking Nintendo will come out with some kind of bizarre hybrid streaming unit thingie.

Keys to a Comeback:
1. Open 5-10 more studios solely in North America and Europe;
2. Buy or revive old first-party/third-party IPs;
3. Enough fucking Mario and Donkey Kong;
4. Open the fucking vaults for a proper VC.

Cygnus X-1

Nintendo won't recover by dropping the price and gamepad and bundling Mario.

There's a core perception that the Nintendo brand is broken. Their service problems are only the symptoms of a systemic organizational illness. They can continue to chant and shake their magic stick at the sky all they want but until they get serious about tackling their problems they'll continue backsliding into irrelevance.

Damn shame.

Come on. Casual people do not know this core stuff and perception. Simply Wii U is being rejected by the market because it's not an interesting product. And 2DS/3DS is being assaulted by the smartphones floods. But it's not about being produced by Nintendo or whatever.

FourMyle

Gaming Industry has basically become Hollywood but much worse:

pVUV4uE.png

And Need For Speed and WWE had releases as well this year, but they didn't end top ten.

Did you just start gaming last week or something?

lol

I'm guessing you never looked at a top 10 chart for the PS2 or the like? It was also full of whatever was mainstream at the time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Posted on Twitter but I'll put it here as well.

My take: Gamers in Japan and the US don't want to see Mario for a long time. I'd say 5 years.

Agreed.

I honestly cannot stand seeing Mario's face anymore.

Maybe if they came out every couple years.... but... how many Mario games and games with Mario came out in the last 5 years? Yeesh.

DarkFlow

Banned
The Wii U was very poorly marketed out of the gate and poor sales from that initial period made 3rd parties abandon it. The console isn't a turd it's just that so many people that had a Wii didn't even understand it. I mean the E3 presser was all about the controller. People were even questioning if it was even a new console for awhile or whether it was just a controller add on for the Wii.

It was just marketing.

Keep telling yourself that.

DeaviL

Banned
Yes enjoy your PC gaming, says 1 percent of gamers (yes I'm exaggerating). I'll be busy with Killer instinct, Assassins Creed 4, NBA 2k14, Ryse, Killzone, Knack, and Battlefield and Dead Rising. What a piss poor launch lineup that over 4 million people seem to want huh? Lol

It is a terrible launch lineup.
The first party titles reviewed mediocre and the rest is third party...

Elios83

Pretty much what I was expecting.
Although poor Wii U....not even 300k :/ dead console....there will be tears in the next fiscal report from Nintendo with downgraded sales and profits forecasts.

Top Bottom