• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

OldJadedGamer said:
So last month Nintendo and MS both publicly announced their NPD numbers but Sony did not is that right? I wonder if all three will say what they sold this month.

If they don't, Pachter to the rescue again hopefully.

Major games that did not chart:

Vanquish (Wasn't expect to, but :()
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Scribblenauts
Rock Band 3
Castlevania
Enslaved
Wii Party

Really thought Kirby would do very well, but it's hard to tell how it's selling with no numbers and the combined SKUs.

Tiktaalik

Just Dance 2 must have done fantastic since we know that many of the other games on that list have sold in the multi millions.

The Ubisoft CEO is quoted as saying "Since its mid-October launch, its sales are up 75 percent on its predecessor..."

[Nintex]

butter_stick said:
I worry now they may be more likely so sign a deal with the devil to ensure their survival :(
Activision isn't going to step in and buy Harmonix now that the music guitar thingy genre is dead.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
8z3a6h.jpg

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
butter_stick said:
I worry now they may be more likely so sign a deal with the devil to ensure their survival :(

Are you talking about Activision? If that happens, we'll see Bobby pull a Bizarre on HMX some time in 2012. :/

iammeiam

New NPD is awesome because you could get basically the same effect by naming a handful biggest titles of the month and randomly assigning them Lucky Charms shapes.

I still want to know if RB3 outsold the most recent GH. I don't need it to sell well, just better than GH.

donny2112

Souldriver said:
So I'm guessing this means the PS3 sold 800k and the Wii 23k. Animal Crossing Wii just outside the top 10.

My deduction skills are legendary.

You don't even have to deduce to see a third-party Wii game at #1 for the month ...

New ranking method rocks.
Or not.

Dai101

Banned
Damn.... i really though Dead Rsing 2 will have legs for showing at least one more month in the Top 10, i think i was wrong

FrankT

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Scribblenauts
Rock Band 3
Castlevania
Enslaved
Wii Party

Really thought Kirby would do very well, but it's hard to tell how it's selling with no numbers and the combined SKUs.

I wonder if the sw sales were down overall for the month.

butter_stick said:
Just Dance 2 destroying Rock Band 3 is tragic.

I don't think it was JD2 that destroyed it... ;-)

GarthVaderUK said:
If they don't, Pachter to the rescue again hopefully.

I wouldn't have thought so - still no idea how he got away with that last time, considering the new rules mean no-one except the publisher/platform-holder can report their own figures.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn
Super Scribblenauts
Rock Band 3
Castlevania
Enslaved
Wii Party

Considering the top 10 is combined SKUs, it is pretty hard to gauge how exclusive games are doing. If an exclusive game is in this specific top 10, it did much better. NBA 2k11 may have been the top game overall, but split the SKUs and you might end up with it being comprised of lower ranks.

Road

donny2112 said:
You don't even have to deduce to see a third-party Wii game at #1 for the month ...

New ranking method rocks.
Or not.
Is this the first time in how many years a Nintendo game is not in the top 10? =P

iammeiam said:
New NPD is awesome because you could get basically the same effect by naming a handful biggest titles of the month and randomly assigning them Lucky Charms shapes.

Just had a sudden vision of Maeby's report card off Arrested Development.

:lol :lol

Wow, when Nintendo first-party shovelware like Wii Party doesn't chart, you KNOW the Wii bubble has burst.

Also, Rock Band 3 :( Is the plastic music genre finally over?

FrankT

TheUnknownForce said:
Considering the top 10 is combined SKUs, it is pretty hard to gauge how exclusive games are doing. If an exclusive game is in this specific top 10, it did much better. NBA 2k11 may have been the top game overall, but split the SKUs and you might end up with it being comprised of lower ranks.

New NPD not so hot in that context.

farnham

Banned
butter_stick said:
Just Dance 2 destroying Rock Band 3 is tragic.
i hear unlike justdance 1 justdance 2 is actually good
Gary Whitta said:
Wow, when Nintendo first-party shovelware like Wii Party doesn't chart, you KNOW the Wii bubble has burst.

Wii party is actually a pretty good game.

But yeah i agree. The run of the Wii has pretty much ended.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

I think Kirby will silently creep it's up into some decent to big numbers. I don't recall any Kirby game being on the top 10 before, but they eventually sell well enough.

Gary Whitta said:

Once again, that Top 10 is riddled with combined SKUs boosting unit sales upward. Hard to tell what any game did unless they are exclusive to one platform (see: Fable III and Just Dance 2).

Meanwhile, I imagine Wii first-party games will see boosts in the holiday shopping season, though Kinect might chop into Wii Party's sales. Mario Collection and DKCR should help, certainly.

And considering the combined SKU results...yeah, poor Rock Band 3.

donny2112

Road said:
Is this the first time in how many years a Nintendo game is not in the top 10? =P

Maybe Nintendo will report the sales of titles in the "real" Top 10. i.e. Rank the spreadsheet by units sold with no combined SKUs even per system.

DaBuddaDa

Of course sports games spread across five different platforms combined are gonna come out in the top 10. These numbers are stupid.

I'm impressed by Just Dance numbers, but I'm not surprised at all by the absence of the games on the bottom. There is no way they'd compete with multiplatform heavy hitters.

I guess I'll check back later for some Kirby numbers.

Edit:
RIP music game genre. I barely knew ye. :/

donny2112

Gary Whitta said:

My opinion on the Wii and its successor have been stated several times elsewhere, but beware of falling into the "Wii game first month sales" trap. Remember that Wii Music started at 80K in October 2008, made the Top 10 in November, and eventually should've gotten to around 1m. ;)

Chrange

Banned
Thankfully the new format means no hurried adjustments at chartzzzzz, thus reducing their life-shortening stress levels!

hey, at least it's something....

bluehat9

No Kirby, eh? Hopefully Amazon puts it in a Black Friday sale.

Surprised by NBA2k11, but maybe since its on so many platforms it would take the top spot (along with no Elite). I wonder how Jam will do on ps3/360.

Why For?

Banned
I find it weird the 360 is still keeping it's pace. I figured it would have started dipping below at least one of the other 2 by now.

donny2112 said:
My opinion on the Wii and its successor have been stated several times elsewhere, but beware of falling into the "Wii game first month sales" trap. Remember that Wii Music started at 80K in October 2008. ;)

WiiMusic sold pretty terribly.

Takao

Banned
4/10 have a PSP sku. They know what's up.

TFU2 would've been higher if Lucasarts didn't shit can the PSP version.
No it wouldn't, but in a magical world, maybe.

Top Bottom