• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

Road

donny2112 said:
Maybe Nintendo will report the sales of titles in the "real" Top 10. i.e. Rank the spreadsheet by units sold with no combined SKUs even per system.
They haven't done a press release in months. =\

Not expecting anything from them until they can gloat about holiday sales. :lol

farnham

Banned
butter_stick said:
I feel confident in saying it's not as good as Rock Band 3.
yes but RB 3 not doing well and JD2 doing well is something totally different and unlike JD1 JD2 at least deserves its sales.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
ShockingAlberto said:
Well

That about wraps it up for Castlevania.

any reason grounded in reality why anyone thought CV:LOS was going to chart in the top 10 especially with ZERO publicity?

farnham

Banned
Road said:
They haven't done a press release in months. =\

Not expecting anything from them until they can gloat about holiday sales. :lol
but will they be able to do that ?

wii party was the biggest hope for them this year and that seems to have bombed
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
WiiMusic sold pretty terribly.
it did somewhere about 2,5 to 3 million worldwide

thats not terrible at all

donny2112 said:
You're analytical skills are somewhat less than thorough, though.

My analysis is so bad that I'm only using the released numbers to compare two games in the exact same timeframe and I'm saying that a game selling 10% of what the previous entries in the franchise sold (WiiMusic vs. WiiSports and WiiFit) is bad.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Halo Reach seems weak compared to past iterations.... I am genuinely worried about my favorite series. Halo 3 finished the year with 4.8M when the 360 had half the user base.

truly101 said:
any reason grounded in reality why anyone thought CV:LOS was going to chart in the top 10 especially with ZERO publicity?
Anyone who thought castlevania was going anywhere in the top 10 has lost their minds, basically. October was a very strong month, and it's more than obvious people don't bite on new IPs.

jman2050

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
My analysis is so bad that I'm only using the released numbers to compare two games in the exact same timeframe and I'm saying that a game selling 10% of what the previous entries in the franchise sold (WiiMusic vs. WiiSports and WiiFit) is bad.

That's not how sales work.

Lebron

Where's the love? :(

So 360 is the top selling console now for the year? They really been doing good since the slim rolled out.

I'm going to be really interested to see the final hardware sales standings after this holiday period. My theory is that Xbox 360 will dominate, driven largely by the Kinect bundles, PS3 will do well and Wii will lag behind in third place. Definitely a mighty drop from the dominance the Wii has been enjoying the past few years; that era is over.

Either way, I suggest most people sort of glance and walk away at the numbers until press releases come out. We can only notice big multiconsole bombs (Rock Band 3) or big console-exclusive successes (Fable 3, Just Dance 2) with what we have.

I'm going to be really interested to see the final hardware sales standings after this holiday period. My theory is that Xbox 360 will dominate, driven largely by the Kinect bundles, PS3 will do well and Wii will lag behind in third place. Definitely a mighty drop from the dominance the Wii has been enjoying the past few years; that era is over.

Quite the optimistic one, aren't you? Wii will lag behind 360 thanks to price battles and Kinect, but I think if Nintendo push the Mario Collection or Donkey Kong or Epic Mickey well enough, the system will match or exceed PS3.

However, if the drops in software sales continue into 2011 or do not bump up as I say, Nintendo needs to end Wii prematurely. Kinect and Apple products are the new casual fodder.

3DS would have helped them so much, but hopefully their launch delay in Japan will be a good choice.

donny2112

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Okay, now you really are displaying terrible analytical skills. Are you going to throw Wii Chess into the mix, too?

godhandiscen said:
Halo Reach seems weak compared to past iterations.... I am genuinely worried about my favorite series. Halo 3 finished the year with 4.8M when the 360 had half the user base.

If you are going to worry about a series, worry about Castlevania or something. Halo is no where near low at the moment. It has to be closing on 4 million now.

Takao

Banned
Someone wanna PM me if we get numbers for DragonBall Raging Blast 2 (PS3/360), DragonBall Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (PSP), and Invizimals (PSP)? I know it's very unlikely, but I figure I have a better shot getting numbers for games no one cares about rather than getting Kirby's numbers.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Jesus, Rock Band 3 bombed in the US too.. released on 3 platforms and didn't even make the top 10 combined SKU charts.

Plastic rock genre is dead, going out on a high note then.

Road

"In terms of individual SKUs, the best-selling game of the month was the Xbox 360 version of Fallout: New Vegas, which sold around 679,000 units in total."

http://www.1up.com/news/npds-nba-2k11-fallout-vegas

(It seems wrong, though. I think it might mean 679k combined.)

"In terms of hardware sales, the best-selling console in October was, as it often is, the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 was the only console to realize a sales performance when compared to October of 2009. "

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
AlphaTwo00 said:
Anyone who thought castlevania was going anywhere in the top 10 has lost their minds, basically. October was a very strong month, and it's more than obvious people don't bite on new IPs.

I don't remember really any Vania game charting in the NPD top 10 ever. I'm sure someone out there will be like "BUT DIS GAEM WAS BIG BUDGETZ AND KOJIMA N STUFF" So? The average console owner isn't buying shit they've never heard of or seeing anything about. "BUT DEMONZ SOULZ N STUFF" Demons Souls didn't chart either, it just did well for an Atlus niche game, compared to the games that normally chart, it wasn't anywhere close either.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I just realized that with the 360 now the best selling console year-to-date, Wii must have sold less than 376k in October (not surprising).

360 Jan - Oct: 3,534,089
Wii Jan - Sept: 3,157,900

jman2050

Gary Whitta said:

Why do people not learn about Nintendo and the holidays?

navanman said:
Jesus, Rock Band 3 bombed in the US too.. released on 3 platforms and didn't even make the top 10 combined SKU charts.

Plastic rock genre is dead, going out on a high note then.
Frankly, I'd ignore anything that was released in the last week. Exactly how many days was in this chart? At best it would have given RB3 like 10 days, no?

Lunchbox

Banned
when they released numbers, i remember it like yesterday

without numbers I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

More from 1UP:
In terms of hardware sales, the best-selling console in October was, as it often is, the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 was the only console to realize a sales performance when compared to October of 2009.
Rock Band 3, which also debuted in October, did not place on the top ten. According to NPD analyst Anita Frazier, the game came in fifteenth place, though it should be noted that the game premiered on October 26.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road said:
"In terms of individual SKUs, the best-selling game of the month was the Xbox 360 version of Fallout: New Vegas, which sold around 679,000 units in total."

"In terms of hardware sales, the best-selling console in October was, as it often is, the Nintendo DS. The Xbox 360 was the only console to realize a sales performance when compared to October of 2009. "
679k for Xbox 360 might make sense given the final sales of Fallout 3 and the amount New Vegas shipped.

szaromir

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
No way in hell. Wii has breadth of e-rated family oriented content making it a perfect gift purchase during Holiday season that PS3 (and 360) could only dream of. Maybe 360 will manage to outsell it if Kinect maintains the momentum, but Wii will definitely outsell PS3.

truly101 said:
I don't remember really any Vania game charting in the NPD top 10 ever. I'm sure someone out there will be like "BUT DIS GAEM WAS BIG BUDGETZ AND KOJIMA N STUFF" So? The average console owner isn't buying shit they've never heard of or seeing anything about. "BUT DEMONZ SOULZ N STUFF" Demons Souls didn't chart either, it just did well for an Atlus niche game, compared to the games that normally chart, it wasn't anywhere close either.
Exactly. Seriously, some people here are batshit insane.

As for Super Scribblenauts...

I'm waiting for Jackson to show up and explain himself.

truly101 said:

I'm a little surprised. The game had decent word-of-mouth online and anecdotally seemed to sell really well at the stores I frequent. Yeah, there wasn't much TV marketing but I figured it was going to be a kind of sleeper hit like Darksiders was. And it was mutliplatform so I thought overall it might sell as well as Fable 3 since that game's marketing was kind of low-key too and the overall online buzz was a kinda negative.

FrankT

ICallItFutile said:
I just realized that with the 360 now the best selling console year-to-date, Wii must have sold less than 376k in October (not surprising).

360 Jan - Oct: 3,534,089
Wii Jan - Sept: 3,157,900

Less than 334k actually with a 10K YTD difference as of last month per Gamasutra. Though I'm thinking a decent bit less.

Less than 320k on PS3.

farnham

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Nintendo going third party confirmed ?
jman2050 said:
Why do people not learn about Nintendo and the holidays?
well the things do look grim for them

they dont have the Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, NSMBWii trifecta this year but rather lacking games like Kirby and Donkey Kong. Wii Party was supposed to be the big title for the casuals but that one dont seem to be doing that well right now. so yeah.

Barrett2

Does Nintendo have any major releases for the rest of the year?

I imagine Donkey Kong will sell ok, but not great... Isn't it supposed to be really hard?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Warm Machine said:
If you are going to worry about a series, worry about Castlevania or something. Halo is no where near low at the moment. It has to be closing on 4 million now.
I bought my Castlevania copy, rip off edition, so I did my part, but its a lost battle. Also, I am worried about the fact Halo Reach cannot repeat the success of Halo 3 because that means less confidence in future products, although MS just created a whole new studio for Halo, so I am not really stressed, just disappointed Halo isn't the top dog in it's console anymore.

Road said:

So Halo Reach didn't match the 700k that Halo 3 pulled during it's second month. :(

Nirolak said:
679k for Xbox 360 might make sense given the final sales of Fallout 3 and the amount New Vegas shipped.

How much does NBA 2k usually do?

If NV was 679k on X360 alone, that's easy over 1.1m in total.

Top Bottom