• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
teruterubozu said:
Do you visit these forums on a regular basis?
These forums are an absolutely terrible indicator of sales success or general market thought.

I mean, look at the size of the Valkyria Chronicles thread. That game opened with under 30k copies and didn't do all that much better in the long run.

jorma

is now taking requests
Nirolak said:
These forums are an absolutely terrible indicator of sales success or general market thought.

I mean, look at the size of the Valkyria Chronicles thread. That game opened with under 30k copies and didn't do all that much better in the long run.

Yeah, and the new Tony Hawk |OT| has way more traffic than 3000 copies sold would suggest :p

szaromir said:
Sonic is still the second bniggest brand in the genre.
One recent very successful example would be Trials HD which reached 1.2M a couple of months ago and still going strong. The genre isn't dead, people still enjoy hopping on platforms, you have to know how to reach them. FPS genre also has many bombs as well and no one calls it dead.

True, I forgot about Sonic, that's another established brand that usually does very well, even when the games themselves are garbage.

Don't get me wrong, thanks to handhelds and the advent of downloadable game services, there's certainly room for platformers on today's market, and I'm thankful for that. But they're definitely not the force that they once were. Even with the already mentioned established franchises, big budget retail platformers are few and far between, especially on HD consoles.

Yes, there are many flops among shooters as well, but that's because there are loads of them being made (although, thankfully, they're not as prevalent as they used to be several years ago).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
teruterubozu said:
Do you visit these forums on a regular basis?
Oh, you meant those forum users who swore to boycott MW2 for not having dedicated servers and bought it anyway?
I thought you were talking about something serious, like average joes suddenly caring for the logo on the bottom of their box.

Jocchan said:
Oh, you meant those forum users who swore to boycott MW2 for not having dedicated servers and bought it anyway?
I thought you were talking about something serious, like average joes suddenly caring for the logo on the bottom of their box.

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. My initial point was possibly (and I did use the word "possibly") the deterioration of the corporate brand to some degree, but then somehow it turned into me equating GAF as the universe.

TunaLover

The sad part is most of this bombas comes from japanese publishers, this "Let's westernized everything" thing is not really paying off.

I'm pretty worried about localization of future japanese titles too.

V_Arnold

teruterubozu said:
I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. My initial point was possibly (and I did use the word "possibly") the deterioration of the corporate brand to some degree, but then somehow it turned into me equating GAF as the universe.

An average, "a bit informed in the genre they like" customer will not know the publisher at all. They will make no connection between DJ Hero and World of Warcraft, or FIFA 10 and Medal of Honor.

In this article from Reuters I read that according to NPD "software sales (in the US) rose 6 percent in October to $605m"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Video-game-data-raises-rb-206632945.html?x=0&.v=1

I understand that a lot of GAF (and in particular, Japanese developed) favorites aren't selling well, but CoD just had the biggest software launch ever. Kinect has sold over 1m so far this fall, Gabe Newell was just written about in Forbes for how fantastic of a business Valve has created in Steam... The industry isn't about to collapse.

Paracelsus

mikekennyb said:
In this article from Reuters I read that according to NPD "software sales (in the US) rose 6 percent in October to $605m"

I understand that a lot of GAF (and in particular, Japanese developed) favorites aren't selling well, but CoD just had the biggest software launch ever. Kinect has sold over 1m so far this fall, Gabe Newell was just written about in Forbes for how fantastic of a business Valve has created in Steam... The industry isn't about to collapse.

You cannot keep the market afloat with one game.

Paracelsus said:

If you follow the link, NPD sales were up in October. CoD came out in November. Black Ops isn't the only thing that the industry has going for it.

verbum

Paracelsus said:
Think of COD-Black Ops as the Avatar of video games, just because Avatar set new records doesn't mean the rest of Hollywood will stop. If a market exists, someone will produce product.

MechaX

ShockingAlberto said:
Yyyyeah. That's one of the problems with LoS's sales, really. If it were a great game, you could pull back a bit of marketing and let word of mouth spread.

But the game was polarizing and even the people who loved it never really went "YOU MUST RUN OUT AND BUY THIS."

That's a shame. Hell, it seems like Konami in general hasn't really had the best of luck this year with anything really. Not even their "This is no spinoff! This is a real-deal-Kojima title!!" Metal Gear game did that hot overseas.

ymmv

Banned
mikekennyb said:

The problem is that for every successful game, there are ten financial failures. The wealth is not spread around equally, all the profits go to just a handful of *very* successful games.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
mikekennyb said:
If you follow the link, NPD sales were up in October. CoD came out in November. Black Ops isn't the only thing that the industry has going for it.
Sales are up, but it's the same notion similar to wealth is the US. It isn't spread equally across. It ends up centering around a few titles, which do bank. While so many like Enslaved, Vanquish, Kirby, Castlevania, and others bomb.

ymmv said:
The problem is that for every successful game, there are ten financial failures. The wealth is not spread around equally, all the profits go to just a handful of *very* successful games.

While I wonder if the 10:1 ratio is a little high, absolutely there are more financial failures than success in games. It's been that way for a while though, and the industry is doing fine. Now looking at recent results, Japanese companies have been hurting, but that's to be expected with the shift of the market more and more towards the West.

Hopefully what comes out of these issues is a realization that just as not every movie is Avatar, not every game is CoD. If companies develop their games with a sound business model in mind, they can be profitable without being #1 on the sales chart. Look at the free to play MMO's, or Angry Birds, or all of the great indie/XBLA games that are doing so well on the download services. There is opportunity out there for gaming, just not every release can be expected to be AAA and a multimillion seller.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rock Band 3 (all platforms) -- 140K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

mikekennyb said:

WiiFit+ (Which was only $20) was the only major release of October 2009 that was tracked in the NPD period for October 2009 where October 2010 had tons of major releases so it's really not that good.

EviLore said:

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

That's not terrible for a limited numbers of days.

szaromir

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
WiiFit+ (Which was only $20) was the only major release of October 2009 that was tracked in the NPD period for October 2009 where October 2010 had tons of major releases so it's really not that good.
Nice Uncharted 2 trolling (and Forza and Borderlands and Kingdom Hearts)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
EviLore said:

At least it sold better than Guitar Hero.

-PXG-

EviLore said:

Wow. And DJ Hero 2 was 59,000. I don't even want to ask what Power Gig was. I think it's safe to say that the genre is dead. No one cares anymore.

ymmv

Banned
mikekennyb said:
While I wonder if the 10:1 ratio is a little high, absolutely there are more financial failures than success in games. It's been that way for a while though, and the industry is doing fine. Now looking at recent results, Japanese companies have been hurting, but that's to be expected with the shift of the market more and more towards the West.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31081/THQ_Sales_Down_Losses_Up_But_Still_Meets_Guidance.php

"Red Faction and UFC Undisputed publisher THQ today announced a quarterly drop in sales and widening losses as the company continues to make near-term investments in the hopes of long-term profits.

Sales for the second fiscal quarter ended September 30 were $77.1 million, down from $101.3 million for the same quarter a year ago. THQ reported losses of $47.0 million, wider than the loss of $5.6 million incurred for Q2 last year. "

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-15-losses-increase-at-ubisoft-despite-growing-sales

"French publisher Ubisoft has recorded a net loss of €89.8 million ($122.2m / £76.1m) for the first half of the financial year, up 34.5 per cent compared to the same period last year. "

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ons_Closing_Losses_Despite_Sales_Declines.php

"Electronic Arts beat expectations during its second fiscal quarter, closing its losses despite an overall decline in sales. Thanks to FIFA 11 on consoles and its digital business on mobile platforms, the company reported a $201 million loss versus $391 million in the same period last year."

http://www.techdigest.tv/2010/07/nintendo_and_ca.html

"Both Nintendo and Capcom have reported massive losses during the financial quarter between April and June of 2010.

Nintendo saw a decline in both net sales and operating income, down 25% and 45% respectively. It lead to a rare quarterly loss for the legendary gaming house, costing them some $290 million (£185 million) compared to profits of $480 million (£306 million) over the same period the a year earlier.

Though sales of the Wii console surprisingly increased, DS hardware and DS and Wii software sales dropped, which, when added to currency fluctuations, accounted for the majority of the losses.

Capcom had a similarly rough quarter. The relative failure of triple-A titles such as Lost Planet 2 and Monster Hunter Tri, both with substantial development costs, saw a whopping 94.8% drop in income for the Street Fighter stable. Net income was down 72.6% compared to the previous year at 1 trillion Yen, whilst net sales also fell 2.4% to 19,037 million Yen."

Hopefully what comes out of these issues is a realization that just as not every movie is Avatar, not every game is CoD. If companies develop their games with a sound business model in mind, they can be profitable without being #1 on the sales chart. Look at the free to play MMO's, or Angry Birds, or all of the great indie/XBLA games that are doing so well on the download services. There is opportunity out there for gaming, just not every release can be expected to be AAA and a multimillion seller.

But that will mean that the industry has to change dramatically. The number of big budget action titles and first person shooters will have to go down, since there doesn't seem to be an audience for so many titles. There'll be far less games like Vanquished and Enslaved in the future, and more cheap PSN / XBLA games untill that market becomes saturated (something that's already happening).

Archie said:
At least it sold better than Guitar Hero.

In 6 days too. With a better marketing push it would have probably sold even better but I'm pretty sure Viacom was already in sell mode by then even though it wasn't made public knowledge until recently.

Hopefully Harmonix will land on their feet with someone besides Activision.

Warriors of Rock had half the time, IIRC. 3 days last month. Not sure though.

Not that it really matters much either way. Both would be lucky to have much in the way of legs.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
GitarooMan said:
Any rough estimates on what Rock Band 2 did in its first month for comparison?

Rock Band 2 had an ass backwards launch. The 360 version came out September 14 and did 363k while the PS3 version came out in October and the Wii version came out in December.

Rock Band 3 came out October 26 for reference so while the numbers are still pretty shitty they aren't entirely doom and gloom.

WaltJay

GitarooMan said:
Any rough estimates on what Rock Band 2 did in its first month for comparison?

360: 363k
PS3: 118k
Wii: 150k
Total: 631k

The 360 version came out in September 2008 and the PS3 version came out in October.

Edit: beaten
Edit 2: added Wii

butter_stick said:
Warriors of Rock had half the time, IIRC. 3 days last month. Not sure though.

Not that it really matters much either way. Both would be lucky to have much in the way of legs.

Less games around that date though. Halo Reach was already out and MoH, CoD, Kinect, et al.

As you've said before though, how it trends over the next few months will tell the better tale.

The quality of the pro guitar and DLC will be the biggest influence on how well this sells in the future, IMO. Word of mouth could carry this game.

storybook77 said:
Less games around that date though. Halo Reach was already out and MoH, CoD, Kinect, et al.

As you've said before though, how it trends over the next few months will tell the better tale.

The quality of the pro guitar and DLC will be the biggest influence on how well this sells in the future, IMO. Word of mouth could carry this game.

DLC and pro instruments aren't going to change shit, really. Pro instruments especially. It's not like RB3 is hurting for quality DLC either.

BTW I was wrong, apparently GH had till October 2nd, which is pretty much in the same ballpark as what RB had.

teruterubozu said:
Possibly the "unless it's COD/WOW, I'm not buying Activision" sentiment is beginning to stick? I mean, people still bought Madden during EA's evil-lord empire days.
The only thing this attitude accomplishes is that Activision will continue making CoD/WOW/Starcraft/Diablo, and fire everyone that you actually boycott. I don't know if you guys noticed or not over the last few years, but they're not in the business of using their moneymakers to subsidize flop series, they're in the business of making money. Personally, I believe Activisions scorched earth policy is where the AAA market should be heading - there are way too many 200-man teams out there putting out 100k flops. There needs to be more small studios making indie or lower priced games, or there simply needs to be less jobs than what we have right now. That's the reality, and the only thing that will bring most of these companies back to profitability.

butter_stick said:
DLC and pro instruments aren't going to change shit, really. Pro instruments especially. It's not like RB3 is hurting for quality DLC either.

BTW I was wrong, apparently GH had till October 2nd, which is pretty much in the same ballpark as what RB had.

No there's plenty of DLC but will they keep bringing in "new" bands, both classic and modern. Also title updates, and if they add anything with them could sway some people. I'm not saying it's going to do huge numbers or anything but enough to at least keep the rock band platform in tact.

ymmv

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The only thing this attitude accomplishes is that Activision will continue making CoD/WOW/Starcraft/Diablo, and fire everyone that you actually boycott. I don't know if you guys noticed or not over the last few years, but they're not in the business of using their moneymakers to subsidize flop series, they're in the business of making money. Personally, I believe Activisions scorched earth policy is where the AAA market should be heading - there are way too many 200-man teams out there putting out 100k flops. There needs to be more small studios making indie or lower priced games, or there simply needs to be less jobs than what we have right now. That's the reality, and the only thing that will bring most of these companies back to profitability.

Which will mean the number of full price retail games will go down substantially. Less games and lots of job losses in the next few years till there's a new equilibrium between demand and supply.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

That's a terrible strategy long term. If a publisher only focus on one or two franchises and closes all the studios that don't work on those franchises (Activision with Call of Duty, Ubisoft with AC/Just Dance), then once those franchises decline, the publisher is left with nothing and is pretty much dead.

AwRy108

Sad to see New Vegas sell so well, simply because it's one busted piece of software. With sales that high, it just gives companies the confidence that they'll get away with it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
storybook77 said:
In 6 days too. With a better marketing push it would have probably sold even better but I'm pretty sure Viacom was already in sell mode by then even though it wasn't made public knowledge until recently.

Hopefully Harmonix will land on their feet with someone besides Activision.
5 days. The NPD period ended 10/30.

That's better than I feared it was going to be for RB3. After seeing the Guitar Hero numbers I was hoping RB3 would be in 150k territory, and this is pretty close.

Could have been worse.

ymmv

Banned
MetatronM said:
5 days. The NPD period ended 10/30.

That's better than I feared it was going to be for RB3. After seeing the Guitar Hero numbers I was hoping RB3 would be in 150k territory, and this is pretty close.

Could have been worse.

Like the UK sales:

"Rock Band 3's opening week saw only 7386 units sold, ranking 26th in the UK all formats chart. That's 5318 Xbox 360, 1555 PS3 and 295 Wii copies.

By comparison Activision's Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock did extremely better as it reportedly cleared 86k copies its opening week and landed 6th in the UK chart, before descending the ranks and falling out of the top 20. "

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
That's a terrible strategy long term. If a publisher only focus on one or two franchises and closes all the studios that don't work on those franchises (Activision with Call of Duty, Ubisoft with AC/Just Dance), then once those franchises decline, the publisher is left with nothing and is pretty much dead.
Even without Steam and Unreal 3, Valve and Epic only work on a handful of franchises at any given time. Blizzard did so for years. Crytek has 3 ip at most in development. What a lot of the industry sees as "diversification" is really just publishers dumping their money into a large pile and setting it on fire.

The industry will contract to restore balance (as someone said above) long before it crashes.

Or was Activision supposed to finance half a dozen more Blurs hoping that Bizarre was eventually going to make that money back?

NHale

verbum said:
Think of COD-Black Ops as the Avatar of video games, just because Avatar set new records doesn't mean the rest of Hollywood will stop. If a market exists, someone will produce product.

But you need money to make and release a product and what we're seeing is that every major publisher besides Activision are reporting losses every fiscal year, so if this continues I don't see great things ahead.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Or was Activision supposed to finance half a dozen more Blurs hoping that Bizarre was eventually going to make that money back?

No, of course not, but there has to be room for companies to experiment and release games that are possibly going to tank in the interests of coming up with the "next big thing", or even just developing something that could turn into a solid second-tier franchise. That's a matter of keeping budgets low enough to be covered if the game does tank so that you can afford your experimentation and managing your finances properly.

I'm sure you'll point at DD here, but there has to be room for the same kind of experimentation at retail too.

Opiate

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I strongly agree with this.

Complaining about Activision, to me, is very much like complaining about Wal Mart. People don't like the practices, but both companies are the natural and ultimate evolution of how consumers have shaped the market place. Consumers, mind you.

In retail, most people (i.e. those that shop at Wal Mart) have little concern for decor or presentation or even the durability of their products: they want the products they want, right now, as cheaply as possible. The ultimate result of that consumer behavior: retail gradually evolves over the course of 100 years, culminating in the creation of Wal Mart, a gigantic company whose entire purpose is to present the products people want as cheaply as possible with no frills.

Similarly, "hardcore" gamers seem to want big, epic (and expensively produced) games. That's why the term "AAA" has gained such common use: because people tend to want event-style launches of major, critically acclaimed, "blockbuster" productions. The end result is companies like Activision, which focus exclusively on a few, major, "AAA" products and pare away all the rest.

Gaming isn't quite as evolved as retail is, now (Wal Mart is so highly evolved that I can't imagine them being superceded, but Activision still could be). But the same natural evolution of the production chain is clear: just as Wal Mart is what most American consumers ultimately wanted out of a retail chain, most "core" gamers want Activision. Both companies ruthlessly and relentlessly cater precisely to the wants of their consumers.

Don't like Wal Mart? Stop demanding everything be ridicously cheap and convenient, no matter the cost. Don't like Activision? Stop asking for big, extremely expensive "AAA" productions. Because both companies are mostly the end result of the consumer's values, not the other way around.

Curufinwe

TunaLover said:
The sad part is most of this bombas comes from japanese publishers, this "Let's westernized everything" thing is not really paying off.

I'm pretty worried about localization of future japanese titles too.

Where are you getting "most" from?

Top Bottom