• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

LuchaShaq

Banned
Kusagari said:
People were annoyed with Gears 2 online, but it wasn't downright reviled like R2. Also people have an attachment to Gears, the series still had people hoping 3 would bring it back to form.

Let's be honest, besides a few people, Resistance never had a real fanbase. Once R2 destroyed its reputation, the general populace wasn't inclined to give it another chance.

You keep spouting this but I know I'm not the only one who passed on R3 because they ripped out all the awesome and unique things that were in Resistance 2 multiplayer.

Dabanton

TeethMummy said:
"Dudebro" is quickly becoming my least favorite word.

I can't believe people still use it. It quite frankly undemines any point the poster is making.
It's as bad and annoying as the term 'hipster' being used in Off Topic.

Kusagari

LuchaShaq said:
You keep spouting this but I know I'm not the only one who passed on R3 because they ripped out all the awesome and unique things that were in Resistance 2 multiplayer.

Where did I say that nobody liked R2? It's a fact that the response was so universally bad that Insomniac had to address it directly and worked to change R3.

Are you disputing that?

glad to see madden doing well. although they skimped out on some of the online franchise stuff they OWE us, i think they put out a pretty good game on the field. last year we got through 2 seasons of online franchise, and even in that instance it wasn't near a full league because of all the disconnect issues causing people to quit.

this year, in part thanks to myleaguemanager.net allowing us to run as close to a real online franchise as ever, we are running 32 strong and looks to be headed to matching madden '10 in the amount of seasons we play. so kudos to ea.

as for the other games, the dude above me is right. resistance 2 was fucking horrible. i didn't even bother looking at R3 because of this but i'll probably pick it up at the toys r us buy 2 get 1 sale because i heard they fixed a lot of the garbage that was R2.

Slurmer

Banned
Kusagari said:
Where did I say that nobody liked R2? It's a fact that the response was so universally bad that Insomniac had to address it directly and worked to change R3.

Are you disputing that?

Universally bad? Doesn't it have a pretty good aggregate review score?

Kusagari

Slurmer said:
Universally bad? Doesn't it have a pretty good aggregate review score?

And yet 6 months later those same reviewers were talking about how much it sucked in interviews with Insomniac.

Take that as you will.

BurntPork

Banned
Dabanton said:
I can't believe people still use it. It quite frankly undemines any point the poster is making.
It's as bad and annoying as the term 'hipster' being used in Off Topic.
You are a hipster dudebro. Your argument is invalid.

Angry Fork

Kusagari said:
Nobodies saying the hardcore fans didn't pick it up. If anything, they're the only ones who did. R2 is the best selling Resistance game and most of the general public hated it. You're right that they didn't know about any of that stuff, and that's why they didn't care. After R2 they just wiped Resistance from their memory and were done with it. Resistance didn't have the kind of fanbase to survive such apathy from the rest of the gaming world.
How could you possible know this though? Most of gaf hated it, but that means nothing towards the general population. Most of the public thinks Modern Warfare/COD is a hardcore series simply because older guys in their late 20s/30s play it and it's on the super duper hardcore xbox live and so on. They have no clue about games like Demons Souls or Catherine or Last Guardian and so on. That makes their opinion meaningless to me and proves nothing of whether R2 was a good game or not.

I honestly think the people who bought R2 were also hardcore people and very little were of the 'general public'. Resistance 1 is the only one of the franchise I would say more casual fans played because it was one of the first exclusive shooter offerings on PS3. But in 2007 COD4 came out, 2008 WaW was coming out, Gears 2 etc. all of these casual 'dudebro' kind of people scattered and went to different more popular options. Resistance 2 was left in the dust at that point except for hardcore fans or PS3 only owners that weren't interested in COD.

I think if there were casual fans who bought and played R2, they were in the very small minority and therefore couldn't put a dent on R3's sales even if none of them bought R3. I think Resistance is inherently only known to/cared about by the hardcore and therefore people would know (based on reading forum posts, E3 videos etc.) that R3 was going to make a lot of changes, Insomniac put out round table discussions talking about it and so on. In fact even if we go under the assumption that many casual players bought R2, why would they hate it? The single player was similar to Call of Duty, the multi player was much more expansive and interesting compared to 16 player-esque duels, there was 8 player co-op etc. I mean if I were a casual who was used to Call of Duty and experienced Resistance 2 I'd imagine I'd think it was a pretty good game if not better than COD. I certainly don't think they would have reason to bad mouth the game.

If people want to say R3 failed (I don't know if it did, I don't know how much it would need to sell to consider that, maybe jstevenson could shed light on that I'm not sure) I would say the reason it did is because of what I said before. Casuals are attracted to COD/battlefield, everyone else has shooter fatigue, Resistance doesn't set itself apart enough the way Bioshock does, and the 16 player COD multi player is something hardcore fans aren't necessarily interested in at this point in time.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
LuchaShaq said:
he 100% right on this...no one like Resistance 2

Loudninja

LuchaShaq said:
Co-op DLC is coming.

Loudninja

Sobriquet said:
Seriously? That's pretty much all I played in R2. Didn't like multi. Couldn't make it through the campaign.
Yeah it may not be the same co-op but we are getting some form of co-op.Anyways this is off topic!

MS need to lock down the Gears franchise, it's pushing some pretty crazy numbers.

Shame about Resistance, I liked the first game but never got round to playing the sequel (I heard it was pretty average) but the third looked pretty good, so it's disappointing to see it fail.

End of the franchise or will Insomniac continue?

Speedymanic said:
MS need to lock down the Gears franchise, it's pushing some pretty crazy numbers.

Shame about Resistance, I liked the first game but never got round to playing the sequel (I heard it was pretty average) but the third looked pretty good, so it's disappointing to see it fail.

End of the franchise or will Insomniac continue?

R2 is to blame. i bought R2 day 1 and it sucked so bad i pretty much hadn't watched any media or even payed attention to R3. i know i'm not alone in that!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Time to put Resistance down. Next victim is Ratchet and Clank. =/ The demo was not that good, it comes out on Tuesday and its just going to get swallowed up. I haven't seen one commercial for it or print ad either. =/

Shame. I love Ratchet too. =(

Insomniac has a long, long uphill climb as a 3rd party from here on out.

ElyrionX

People are surprised that the third entry in an utterly mediocre franchise operating in a crowded genre didn't sell well? If not for the fact that Resistance is an exclusive (and a system launch one at that) from a semi-famous developer, it would have received far far less attention than it did.

walking fiend said:
Shooters are about community nowadays.

Right, and personally my online community isn't on PS3 so I passed on it. I was going to rent R3 at first to see if I liked it but the idea that I couldn't try out the online due to the Sony online Pass thing just killed off that idea and I moved on to other games.

Syphon Filter said:
Didn't people hate gears 2? Didn't stop gears 3 from selling,it's because resistance is generic and copies cod too much.

I didn't buy Gears 3 because of Gears 2.

Kintaro said:
Insomniac has a long, long uphill climb as a 3rd party from here on out.

I think the teaser for OverStrike looked pretty damn cool and I'm excited to play it online with my friends. It's nice to see them with a new IP instead of being forced into sequels all gen.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Kusagari said:

Are you disputing that?

The only people that hate resistance 2 are the same group of message board trolls that will say the best selling game (Cod last year) and two of the last 3 most picked GOTYs (GTA4/Mass Effect 2) are garbage as well. I couldn't think of a more irrelevant audience even if that includes me in some cases.

Also the complaints against R2 compared to R1/R3 are strictly single player.

Best example of this is Vinny Caravella's review. This is a guy who usually never even touches multiplayer. http://www.giantbomb.com/resistance-2/61-20699/reviews/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/resistance-2

It's still the best and most unique exclusive multiplayer game for the system, it was the type of game that had an actual community that helped grow sales/stave off used/rentals.

Apath

Syphon Filter said:
Didn't people hate gears 2? Didn't stop gears 3 from selling,it's because resistance is generic and copies cod too much.
Gears of War 2's online is the reason I did not and will not buy Gears of War 3 despite everybody on my friends list playing it. After the glitch fest that was Gears of War 1, Gears of War 2's online was inexcusable. Coupled with the ten minute long match-making wait, laggy in-game matches, and the inability to leave a fucking match solidified things.

And people did not "hate" Gears of War 2. The campaign was fucking amazing. If anything, it was the online, and even then, it was everything else besides the gameplay that sucked.

EDIT: To clarify my last statement, I meant to say that I feel people hated how the online component was handled. The campaign, feature set, horde mode, and multiplayer game play were all spectacular. As I said before, it was just how everything else was handled. It really felt Epic was just pissing on us going "HA! IT WILL SELL NO MATTER WHAT!"
ElyrionX said:
People are surprised that the third entry in an utterly mediocre franchise operating in a crowded genre didn't sell well? If not for the fact that Resistance is an exclusive (and a system launch one at that) from a semi-famous developer, it would have received far far less attention than it did.
I agree with this, but Resistance 3 has been getting some really positive reception. I thought it would translate to great sales. So I'll admit it: I am surprised by Resistance 3's lackluster sales.

I feel like if Resistance 3 sold amazingly well everybody would be like "Oh yeah, generic FPS versus aliens sells well. Big surprise." It's like, they can never win, ya know?

Kusagari

LuchaShaq said:
The only people that hate resistance 2 are the same group of message board trolls that will say the best selling game (Cod last year) and two of the last 3 most picked GOTYs (GTA4/Mass Effect 2) are garbage as well. I couldn't think of a more irrelevant audience even if that includes me in some cases.

Also the complaints against R2 compared to R1/R3 are strictly single player.

Best example of this is Vinny Caravella's review. This is a guy who usually never even touches multiplayer. http://www.giantbomb.com/resistance-2/61-20699/reviews/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/resistance-2

It's still the best and most unique exclusive multiplayer game for the system, it was the type of game that had an actual community that helped grow sales/stave off used/rentals.

And yet Insomniac thought the game was so toxic that they all but disowned it. The real world facts don't agree with you.

Kintaro

OldJadedGamer said:
I think the teaser for OverStrike looked pretty damn cool and I'm excited to play it online with my friends. It's nice to see them with a new IP instead of being forced into sequels all gen.

I think it is possible, but all we have a CG trailer.

KingDizzi

Banned
So with news that Sony UK is spending £5 million (that's like a billion US $) advertising UC3, seems pretty clear that the push in NA will also be really big. So with that said I reckon 600k first month as an absolute minimum, the only question was how much Sony would push the game and the answer is a lot. It being the only big game they had during the end of this year probably allowed them to do that.

Kintaro said:
I think it is possible, but all we have a CG trailer.

I'm sure it is very welcome to them to be working on something new and fresh. Resistance 1 was announced at E305 so that's been over 6 years of working on the same franchise and that is just from the announcement.

I'm sure the new game will benifet from all the fresh new ideas they want to put into them and also they aren't going to be restricted by only one machine.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Kenak said:
Resistance 1 was not a bad game.
It was a bland boring and forgetable shooter-by-the-numbers with a story so silly I lost brain cells following. When I'm actually happy to reach a vehicle section in an FPS that's usually a very bad sign.

And Resistance 2 is worse?

KingDizzi said:
So with news that Sony UK is spending £5 million (that's like a billion US $) advertising UC3, seems pretty clear that the push in NA will also be really big. So with that said I reckon 600k first month as an absolute minimum, the only question was how much Sony would push the game and the answer is a lot. It being the only big game they had during the end of this year probably allowed them to do that.
Uncharted 3 should do over 1 million easily. Uncharted 2 sold 537K on oct and now uncharted 3 has about 1 extra week in comparison, November boost with black friday sales,2 years worth of extra installed base and the franchise is proven and big overall not more than ever. If god of war can do it so can uncharted since uncharted is bigger than god of war.

Apath

Jive Turkey said:
It was a bland boring and forgetable shooter-by-the-numbers with a story so silly I lost brain cells following. When I'm actually happy to reach a vehicle section in an FPS that's usually a very bad sign.

Maybe the vehicle sections were just that good? :D

Jive Turkey said:

R1 was a decent game but they didn't take the right path with the future installments.

rapid32.5

Reasons I didn't get R3 but played R1 a ton back in the day:

-R2 left bad after-taste, no R3 demo to feel otherwise.
-No Horde kinda mode to get more hours out of the game.
-COD on the block now, MW3 multi I'm gonna invest time in, no time for both.
- Tons of FPS competition, got Crysis for $20, if I want R3 for single player only $60 is too much.

Kintaro

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm sure it is very welcome to them to be working on something new and fresh. Resistance 1 was announced at E305 so that's been over 6 years of working on the same franchise and that is just from the announcement.

I'm sure the new game will benifet from all the fresh new ideas they want to put into them and also they aren't going to be restricted by only one machine.

They could have went 3rd party any time they wanted to, so any blame to be placed is on them.

The uphill climb is simple. New IP this late into the generation is a tough sell. They have no fanbase on the 360. They also lose any spotlight put on them from being a one system developer.

They could do it, but it just going to be tough.

Kintaro said:
They could have went 3rd party any time they wanted to, so any blame to be placed is on them.

The uphill climb is simple. New IP this late into the generation is a tough sell. They have no fanbase on the 360. They also lose any spotlight put on them from being a one system developer.

They could do it, but it just going to be tough.

It was late in the gen, I'll have to agree but it was the only way to own their own IP. That was never going to happen having Sony publish their games. Better late than never though.

Kusagari

Syphon Filter said:
Uncharted 3 should do over 1 million easily. Uncharted 2 sold 537K on oct and now uncharted 3 has about 1 extra week in comparison, November boost with black friday sales,2 years worth of extra installed base and the franchise is proven and big overall not more than ever. If god of war can do it so can uncharted since uncharted is bigger than god of war.

God of War 3 wasn't sandwiched between the two biggest games of the year. Both which appeal at least somewhat to Uncharted's main base. Not real evidence obviously, but the few casuals I know with PS3's were going to buy UC3 day one. Then they realized it comes out between BF3 and MW3 and said fuck that.

KingDizzi said:

Sounds like a lot of money, but I can see that being peanuts when EA, Acti and Bethesda are also actively seeking ads in prime time, on buses, billboards, etc.

And then there's MS with Halo: CEA. It's going to be a tough battle for UC3, I can see it faltering in comparison to other titles. (which would be criminal, but there's not much they can do about it.)

M.D

Kusagari said:
God of War 3 wasn't sandwiched between the two biggest games of the year. Both which appeal at least somewhat to Uncharted's main base. Not real evidence obviously, but the few casuals I know with PS3's were going to buy UC3 day one. Then they realized it comes out between BF3 and MW3 and said fuck that.

Who said Battlefield 3 will be the second biggest game this year? I'm not so sure of that

Kusagari said:
BF3 big? lol not at all. Also uncharted is a big franchise to considering it's only on one console. It's nearly on gears level. God of war was near FF 13 launch. And wasn't bad company there too?

Kusagari

Syphon Filter said:
BF3 big? lol not at all. Also uncharted is a big franchise to considering it's only on one console. It's nearly on gears level. God of war was near FF 13 launch. And wasn't bad company there too?

LOL

Syphon Filter said:

Seems to have a pretty big following based on pre-order numbers. Higher than I thought it would have considering it's coming in the same year as a numbered CoD title.

Come on son, UC isn't anywhere close to being as big as Gears.

Speedymanic said:
Seems to have a pretty big following based on pre-order numbers. Higher than I thought it would have considering it's coming in the same year as a numbered CoD title.

Come on son, UC isn't anywhere close to being as big as Gears.
I saw many cancel their orders because of the beta for consoles. Also pre-orders aren't guaranteed,they can be canceled at any time.

Syphon Filter said:
I saw many cancel their orders because of the beta for consoles. Also pre-orders aren't guaranteed,they can be canceled at any time.

I didn't play the beta, was it really that bad?

I know, it's a rough indicator, but it's still pretty damn impressive that they managed to get so many considering the level of competition that's due.

Dabanton

Kusagari said:

I wondering what effect it will have on those kids who don't have the luxury of disposable income. I'm sure their parents will be buying them full priced games three weeks in a row.

I would imagine they been told to pick one now and maybe one for christmas or they'll get BF3 now and exchange it towards MW3.

[Nintex]

TacticalFox88 said:
Ouch at R3's numbers. That's gotta sting.
I wonder how they're going to handle it with future publisher partners, they went the multiplatform route but if EA or Activision thinks it isn't worth the risk they'll drop them like a rock but maybe they blame these sales on the fact that the game was only released on one platform.

Top Bottom