• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

kswiston

HocusPocus said:
Halo is the only exclusive FPS that anyone gives a crap about. It sells an amazing amount of copies for only being on one platform. Nothing comes close from that perspective. CoD owes its most loyal sales to the 360 platform as well. 360 = FPS console. If Resistance was on it then it might have pulled some decent numbers.

Halo and COD aren't even in the same league these days. 360 might be the Premier COD console, but Black Ops PS3 on its own still outsold Halo Reach. I don't know what the most up to date (non-bundled) Halo 3 numbers are for the US, but I doubt Black Ops PS3 is that far behind Halo 3 either. That is ignoring the 8-9M the game has sold on 360.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Battlefield 3 passes Halo 3 worldwide either. Exclusives might help sell one console over another, but in the grand scheme of things, they are no longer the sales champions they once were. Non-Nintendo Exclusives anyhow.

kyo27

LQX said:
COD is also on PS3. And outside of Halo the 360 has no other first person shooter exclusives where as PS3 has Killzone and Resistance so if anything its more of FPS console. I like Resistance but lets just admit it is mediocre and would have had the same results on 360.

He was saying that the 360 is the go to system for COD players. And the 360 is definitely viewed as the system for shooters, not the ps3.

Curufinwe

Sho_Nuff82 said:
"More than 40 million" from "More than 34 million" is not outside the realm of 6.37 million.

Yeah but GT5's 6.37 million was after just 5 weeks on sale.

OldJadedGamer said:
If Japan is such a huge market for them then why has GT5 still not outsold prolouge over there.

What do you mean by still? According to the developer sales of Prologue in Japan were 790K after three years and sales of GT5 in Japan were 600K after five weeks.

JB1981

FieryBalrog said:
Halo actually deserves the sales, too. It's still several notches above the bland mediocrity of Resistance and Gears and a thousand other games of that style. It also doesn't play quite like any of them, so its fans remain where they are.
Gears is bland and mediocre? It breathed new life into the TPS genre. It is the Halo of TPS. The franchise is fantastic.

KingDizzi

Banned
kyo27 said:
He was saying that the 360 is the go to system for COD players. And the 360 is definitely viewed as the system for shooters, not the ps3.

PS3 is also a shooter box, let's be fair here. COD sells considerably more on 360 than PS3 in NA and the UK but it's the opposite, again by a fair margin, in all other territories. That's just an install base thing but COD is the biggest franchise on PS3 and 360 by FAR. There will be no shock and awe when BF3, MW3, someothermultiplatshooter sells better on 360 in NA and UK, PS3 selling more everywhere else.

Curufinwe said:
What do you mean by still? According to the developer sales of Prologue in Japan were 790K after three years and sales of GT5 in Japan were 600K after five weeks.

GT5 had terrible legs in Japan, it only just past 600k in Japan and GT5:p was heavily bundled a couple years ago. That said GT5 went past its first shipment and most probably the same in NA as it did 960k in two month so the only question is EU. Seeing how it was selling from Jan-March from the last figures we got and the platinum version releasing, it's most definite past 4 million now in EU.

fernoca

KingDizzi said:
PS3 is also a shooter box, let's be fair here. COD sells considerably more on 360 than PS3 in NA and the UK but it's the opposite, again by a fair margin, in all other territories. That's just an install base thing but COD is the biggest franchise on PS3 and 360 by FAR. There will be no shock and awe when BF3, MW3, someothermultiplatshooter sells better on 360 in NA and UK, PS3 selling more everywhere else.
Yep.
For as much "beef" the 360 gets for been a "shooter box"; the PS3 is no different. The top sellers are either the Call of Duties, or the sports games (Madden, Fifa, NBA, MLB) along the third party games that also do well on Xbox 360 (Mortal Kombat, Batman, Resident Evil, GTA).
That there may be some "niche games" and that the first party offerings are more varied in genres is another thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Curufinwe said:

You keep conflating shipments and sales. What Polyphony refers to is some sort of magic number that includes retail shipments and PSN sales (I'm not sure if GT5 is on PSN, but Prologue and PSP were so those numbers reflect that).

Here are actual weekly retail sales for GT5 in Japan:
2010-11-22 410,486
2010-11-29 68,116
2010-12-06 29,923
2010-12-13 19,515
2010-12-20+2010-12-27 34,157
2011-01-03 10,290
2011-01-10 4,776
The game then dropped off the charts. We got our next update at the 2011 half year, at which point the game had sold a total of:
2011-06-20 595,881
(18k in those 5 and a half months).

This is why people don't like to bring up worldwide shipments in NPD threads, which are about US sales. This is something that gets explained every single month, and every single month people bring it up. Games ship a lot upfront, and the discrepency between shipments and sales is amplified across every single territory. Some games sell out and reship very quickly and have the line hewn very close, while other games take literally years to sell out their initial shipment.

That's not a strike against Gran Turismo 5, I think this whole argument is completely and utterly asinine, I'm simply pointing out that it's an incredibly bad idea to take US sales data and then start an argument about hypothetical shipments and/or sales worldwide using a bunch of what-ifs?

fernoca said:
Yep.
For as much "beef" the 360 gets for been a "shooter box"; the PS3 is no different. The top sellers are either the Call of Duties, or the sports games (Madden, Fifa, NBA, MLB) and the third party games that also do well on Xbox 360 (Mortal Kombat, Batman, Resident Evil, GTA).
That there may be some "niche games" and that the first party offerings are more varied in genres is another thing.

It's a generic catch all when exclusive shooters don't do well on the PS3. The fallback always ends up as "the 360 is a shooter box, PS3 isn't." In truth, shooters dominate the PS3 just as well.

Too bad we don't we have a Live Activity report equivalent for PSN which would immediately shutdown that argument.

Shooter on the 360 tend to do better because of the social aspects of Live since MP is a huge (primary, even) draw for shooters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RukusProvider said:
Shooter on the 360 tend to do better because of the social aspects of Live since MP is a huge (primary, even) draw for shooters.

This is definitely true--and you can see it best in observing how Borderlands, a very social very multiplayer shooter RPG sold something like 8:1 as well on 360--but I'll give you an unusual counterexample.

The PS3 does better with fighting games. This has always been true. It was true when the PS3 was at its nadir, and it's still true now. Even though controller doesn't matter (many serious fans get a stick, less serious fans aren't likely to make a console decision based on controller). Even though the main addition to fighting games this generations have been DLC and Multiplayer, both of which you would think would support Live.

I'm not sure if this is because the PS3 has an inherited advantage in terms of Japanese games in general and the bulk of popular fighters this gen being Japanese (MK: US, SF: JPN, MVC: JPN, Tekken: JPN, Soul Calibur: JPN, VF: JPN, ASW / BB / GG stuff: JPN), but it's just an interesting counterexample where a very social genre does well on the system where you'd expect it to do less well.

Stumpokapow said:
This is definitely true--and you can see it best in observing how Borderlands, a very social very multiplayer shooter RPG sold something like 8:1 as well on 360--but I'll give you an unusual counterexample.

The PS3 does better with fighting games. This has always been true. It was true when the PS3 was at its nadir, and it's still true now. Even though controller doesn't matter (many serious fans get a stick, less serious fans aren't likely to make a console decision based on controller). Even though the main addition to fighting games this generations have been DLC and Multiplayer, both of which you would think would support Live.

I'm not sure if this is because the PS3 has an inherited advantage in terms of Japanese games in general and the bulk of popular fighters this gen being Japanese (MK: US, SF: JPN, MVC: JPN, Tekken: JPN, Soul Calibur: JPN, VF: JPN, ASW / BB / GG stuff: JPN), but it's just an interesting counterexample where a very social genre does well on the system where you'd expect it to do less well.

For the most part, fighting games tend to be a 1 on 1 affair which isn't at the same level of social interaction as multiplayer shooters. When I played SF4 on the 360, there was no option to party up with a group and we take turns playing eachother or anything like that (I can recall)

As fightings games continue to be popular in Japan and the region produces a lot of competitive players, it's fitting that players would choose the platform with better competition and a larger install base. You also have to take into account that the overall fanbase for fighting games is much smaller than for high profile shooters and the fanbase tends to be a bit more hardcore than casual.

Kusagari

RukusProvider said:
For the most part, fighting games tend to be a 1 on 1 affair which isn't at the same level of social interaction as multiplayer shooters. When I played SF4 on the 360, there was no option to party up with a group and we take turns playing eachother or anything like that (I can recall)

As fightings games continue to be popular in Japan and the region produces a lot of competitive players, it's fitting that players would choose the platform with better competition and a larger install base. You also have to take into account that the overall fanbase for fighting games is much smaller than for high profile shooters and the fanbase tends to be a bit more hardcore than casual.

Just wanted to mention that pretty much every fighting game has this feature now.

Also didn't MvC3 sell more on 360 in America?

kswiston

RukusProvider said:
As fightings games continue to be popular in Japan and the region produces a lot of competitive players, it's fitting that players would choose the platform with better competition and a larger install base.

Street Fighter IV and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 sold around a million each in the US. Out of those buyers, how many really care about the competitive scene? 5-10k tops?

Kusagari said:

Yes, but just barely. Typically, the 360 version of a multiplat title counts for 60-70% of total sales. With fighters it has been more like 45-55%

Kusagari said:
Just wanted to mention that pretty much every fighting game has this feature now.

Oh cool. Nice to see that bit has evolved.

I do believe MvC3 and the new Mortal Kombat did quite well on the 360. I'm sure someone will quickly post the figures.

I believe SF4 did sell more on the PS3 back in the day.

kswiston said:
Street Fighter IV and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 sold around a million each in the US. Out of those buyers, how many really care about the competitive scene? 5-10k tops?

Who knows, maybe even less but the community buzz ends up being with the competitve scene tends to be.

It's a common assumption even amongst causals that "better" players play shooters on the 360 thus if you want to get good at shooters get them on the 360. It's the same for the PS3 when it come to fighting games.

They might not get to that level but people like to align themselves with the "better" side. It's just human nature.

kswiston

RukusProvider said:
Who knows, maybe even less but the community buzz ends up being with the competitve scene tends to be.

It's a common assumption even amongst causals that "better" players play shooters on the 360 thus if you want to get good at shooters get them on the 360. It's the same for the PS3 when it come to fighting games.

They might not get to that level but people like to align themselves with the "better" side. It's just human nature.

That's if they own both consoles. In my experience, most casual gamers don't. It would be interesting to see what the overlap is between 360 and PS3 owners. If 20-30% of HD gamers had both systems, that could explain some of the differences between sales splits by genre. But as Stump mentioned, some titles like Borderlands have a 360:pS3 ratio of something crazy like 8:1. Multi-console owners are not THAT big a group. I would be curious to know why 360 owners embraced borderlands while ps3 owners shunned it.

Kusagari

kswiston said:
That's if they own both consoles. In my experience, most casual gamers don't. It would be interesting to see what the overlap is between 360 and PS3 owners. If 20-30% of HD gamers had both systems, that could explain some of the differences between sales splits by genre. But as Stump mentioned, some titles like Borderlands have a 360:pS3 ratio of something crazy like 8:1. Multi-console owners are not THAT big a group. I would be curious to know why 360 owners embraced borderlands while ps3 owners shunned it.

Borderlands had some RPG elements to it. It seems like every WRPG sells far, far more on 360. I know this was the case for Fallout, Dragon Age, Oblivion and probably will be for Skyrim.

kswiston said:

It's also true of people who decide which console they purchase. If a person tends to value to fighting games over others then they might be more inclined to buy a PS3 instead of the 360 since the buzz around fightings game is greater on the PS3. Then when a fighting game does come out, they will get it and boost the sales figures.

It's not always about multi consoles owners but a persons genre preference and how it influences their console purchase overall. Ultimately this translates to video games sales.

Here is my personal experience on Borderlands on the 360. I had no interest in it. However, anytime I'm online on my 360, I'm generally in a party with other people. Often we are playing different games but chatting in general or coordinating a game to play together. During these sessions, I was continuously told "oh man, you gotta get borderlands!" It was enough pressure from trusted peers on a regular basis that made me get it. Once I got it, I passed on this influence to others I normally interact with. Before you know it, 1-2copies tunred into 10+ copies amongst the grip.

Curufinwe

Stumpokapow said:
You keep conflating shipments and sales. What Polyphony refers to is some sort of magic number that includes retail shipments and PSN sales (I'm not sure if GT5 is on PSN, but Prologue and PSP were so those numbers reflect that).

Here are actual weekly retail sales for GT5 in Japan:
2010-11-22 410,486
2010-11-29 68,116
2010-12-06 29,923
2010-12-13 19,515
2010-12-20+2010-12-27 34,157
2011-01-03 10,290
2011-01-10 4,776
The game then dropped off the charts. We got our next update at the 2011 half year, at which point the game had sold a total of:
2011-06-20 595,881
(18k in those 5 and a half months).

This is why people don't like to bring up worldwide shipments in NPD threads, which are about US sales. This is something that gets explained every single month, and every single month people bring it up. Games ship a lot upfront, and the discrepency between shipments and sales is amplified across every single territory. Some games sell out and reship very quickly and have the line hewn very close, while other games take literally years to sell out their initial shipment.

That's not a strike against Gran Turismo 5, I think this whole argument is completely and utterly asinine, I'm simply pointing out that it's an incredibly bad idea to take US sales data and then start an argument about hypothetical shipments and/or sales worldwide using a bunch of what-ifs?

Thanks for the breakdown. I don't suppose you happen to have the total of actual weekly retail sales of Prologue?

RukusProvider said:
Over here in Europe France and UK tend to be the main countries where fighting games tournaments are held and 360 gets much more love from the community than PS3. No one really cares abot EVO using PS3's all the time and the market just dictates what ppl use more.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:

Series from previous generations with big standings on the PS1-PS2, seem to close the gap much better than ones that boomed this gen. DMC4 was another good example. It still performed better on the 360, but it was a very strong seller for PS3. Much closer than lets say Modern Warfare or others.

Talking Gears 3, it will have legs and at least put up another 1mil+ between Oct-Dec.

Satchel

Banned
Yikes, 180K for Resistance?

I still haven't picked it up yet, but I have 1 and 2, really love 1, and I like 2.

Has bad word of mouth hurt this one? Is it legitimately average? Because there's no demo, and I have so many games to buy over the next few months and with a baby due in the next couple of weeks, money is tight so I need to be very picky if I'm buying at full price (as opposed to waiting for sales).

Massa

Satchel said:

I still haven't picked it up yet, but I have 1 and 2, really love 1, and I like 2.

Has bad word of mouth hurt this one? Is it legitimately average? Because there's no demo, and I have so many games to buy over the next few months and with a baby due in the next couple of weeks, money is tight so I need to be very picky if I'm buying at full price (as opposed to waiting for sales).

There's a demo on the EU store. SCEA probably forgot to put it up.

duk said:
R3 should have gone multi-platform

R3 should have been a better game, you can't be merely decent when all the top-tier studios are pulling out all the stops, R3 needed to be spectacular, and it wasn't. That said, R2 did enough damage that the userbase just didn't bother coming back for another game.

And Insomniac is going multiplatform, hooking up with EA isn't necessarily going to give them the huge boost they want, they need to take things up a few notches.

Sobriquet

FieryBalrog said:
That's not to say that Gears is any less generic or dull, it just happened to get its foot in the door, and had a reasonable differentiating factor when it started out.

FieryBalrog said:
It's still several notches above the bland mediocrity of Resistance and Gears and a thousand other games of that style.

What is going on here

Satchel said:

Resistance 3 is easily the best in the series, its a shame that 2 was so sub par, as that is what damaged sales so much.

Heavy said:
The reason 180k is surprising is because:

1.) PS3 has been out for 5 years now so the user base is obviously tens of millions higher than it was for Resistance 1 and 2, yet Resistance 3 sells much worse. Most of these blockbuster sequels seem to sell more... Gears 3 > 2 > 1 sales. Uncharted 2 > 1 sales.

2.) From most accounts it sounds like a pretty damn good game.

3.) Had a solid marketing push and a cool, identifiable box cover that stands out.

Less enthusiasm from fans and more casual gamers.

As a fan, I'm a pretty good case study.

I owned and enjoyed R1 and Ratchet, bought both day 1. Same with R2, played Ratchet a few months later.

R2 had it's problems, and I was one of the people that took the survey that was sent out later. But I had pretty high hopes for the sequel, until they announced that 8p co-op wouldn't return, less players online. Still figured I'd give it a shot.

Played the beta, and enjoyed it some, but less than R2's co-op. In the R2 beta, I played as a Spec Ops until L10, and knew I'd own the game day one. There was no feeling like that this time, and I bought Dead Island instead. And I have a lot of love for the franchise.

Now consider the people that only jumped in with R2, and were disappointed.
180k isn't far-fetched.

Boombloxer said:
Less enthusiasm from fans and more casual gamers.

As a fan, I'm a pretty good case study.

I owned and enjoyed R1 and Ratchet, bought both day 1. Same with R2, played Ratchet a few months later.

R2 had it's problems, and I was one of the people that took the survey that was sent out later. But I had pretty high hopes for the sequel, until they announced that 8p co-op wouldn't return, less players online. Still figured I'd give it a shot.

Played the beta, and enjoyed it some, but less than R2's co-op. In the R2 beta, I played as a Spec Ops until L10, and knew I'd own the game day one. There was no feeling like that this time, and I bought Dead Island instead. And I have a lot of love for the franchise.

Now consider the people that only jumped in with R2, and were disappointed.
180k isn't far-fetched.

The series kept taking drastic changes in gameplay direction, fans of one game basically don't like the next, plus they never gave themselves enough time to really make the changes stick, they were always playing catch-up in terms of adding features that there was never time to really polish things up gameplay-tuning wise or in terms of the technical aspects, it was never going to work out for them with their short development cycle, even as they touted that R3 had more time in the cooker, the mp beta was buggy enough that it showed the polish simply wasn't there, having to shove R3 out the door while working on another Ratchet game and the EA game it seems there simply wasn't enough man-hours devoted to R3.

It became less a problem with the fans or having to please one group or another, or whether Sony provided adequate marketing and more a problem with their overall development process, the game didn't sell like a top-tier title because Insomniac didn't make a top-tier title, whatever roadmap they had with R1 they basically abandoned and the same happened after R2.

ProfessorMoran said:
The series kept taking drastic changes in gameplay direction, fans of one game basically don't like the next, plus they never gave themselves enough time to really make the changes stick, they were always playing catch-up in terms of adding features that there was never time to really polish things up gameplay-tuning wise or in terms of the technical aspects, it was never going to work out for them with their short development cycle, even as they touted that R3 had more time in the cooker, the mp beta was buggy enough that it showed the polish simply wasn't there.

It became less a problem with the fans or having to please one group or another, or whether Sony provided adequate marketing and more a problem with their overall development process, the game didn't sell like a top-tier title because Insomniac didn't make a top-tier title.

Yea, completely agree. I expected more of an evolution of R1's mechanics, especially the weapon wheel.

I haven't had the internets for days.

Wii doing comparatively worse to the other two, no system doing bad. Market might be shrinking, but at least it isn't like dumpster diving.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finally finished column. Should be up in about 6-7 hours. Probably part of it is not what you would expect. Oh well.

m.i.s.

Banned
A forum poster at gamesindustry.biz [registration required] writes -

Over the first 7 months of the DS lifespan (very notably including Christmas) it sold 2.2 million units in North America.
Over the first 7 months of the 3DS lifespan (very notably not including Christmas) it has sold 1.4 million units in NA.

So that is 64%, which considering the fact that it was during the slow part of the year, had a lot of negative media around its launch, and came out during a recession, I think is pretty amazing actually.

Perhaps more interesting is that the 3DS is selling more in Japan than North America. Not by much, but it is certainly interesting nonetheless.
But the 3DS also had PS2-like positive pre publicity prior to launch. It had widespread hysteria from gaming industry circles who had tried the product (perhaps that was precisely the problem).

allan-bh said:
Reach don't seems to be the best title for evaluate Halo franchise.

I want to see Halo 4 sales.

Halo 4 will be massive. Installed based is much bigger, and people are starving for a new Master Chief Halo. Still, for better or worse, no game can touch CoD.

Raonak

Banned
Resistance 3's low sales were expected :/ R2 really, really hurt the franchise.

people just didn't know what to expect out of R3; would it be good? would it be more like R1.
people just didn't want to take the risk.
Luckly, it was still a good game, definetly my favourite FPS right now. It reminds me a lot of bioshock oddly enough. It's like a more polished/linear version.

Hopefully it did better in europe. Also, who knows. Didn't uncharted 1 not even chart? (and thus living up to it's name)

Penguin

seady said:
It's just sad that the biggest games this generation are all shooters. Generic WW theme shooters.

Well aside from Mario and the Wii brand.

I would go with CoD, GTA and Halo. And Halo isn't really generic. And GTA isn't a shooter.

besiktas1

bigtroyjon said:
JVM article

Has some software numbers in it.
Madden- 2.3 milliion
Dead Island- almost 1 million
FIFA- >400K

So going by that...

Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts 2.3m
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp) - 2 - 2.29m
03. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver - 1m
04. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS) Electronic Arts >400k
05. NHL 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts - around 200k-400k
06. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc - around 200k-400k
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp) - 180K
08. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PSP, PC) LucasArts
09. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
10. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC) THQ

seady said:
It's just sad that the biggest games this generation are all shooters. Generic WW theme shooters.
Starcraft 2, WoW, NSMB, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Pokemon, and Angry Birds aren't shooters.

Shooters are simply the most popular genre among the subset of genres that are given attention by the Western gaming press and forums. A lot of them are just plain fun.

Top Bottom