• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Guevara

jvm said:
This is incorrect. I work from (a) public data (b) comments made by analysts (for example, our good friend Mr. Pachter) and (c) specific data provided to me by NPD upon request, when such requests are fulfilled.

Oh my. Hope this news isn't too much of a blow to your work. Makes me feel like an asshole to complain about this as it's just a hobby.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
=\

bullshit_meter.gif

Pureauthor said:
Several members of the video game industry post here. (Members as in they develop games.)

Should they not care about sales numbers?

You mean neogaf is their source for how well their games do? You don't think their publishers give them accurate sales number?

Reginald P. Linux said:
You mean neogaf is their source for how well their games do? You don't think their publishers give them accurate sales number?

That has nothing to do with what I was responding to, just FYI.

You still haven't shown how having more information somehow hurts intelligent discourse, by the way.

Zachack

Threi said:
out of curiosity, why would this be something for the average forum user to cheer about?
An absense of data allows for extreme speculation. Finally a musou game will get the speculative sales figures I think it deserves, maybe!

Petrae

Unfortunate news, but not all that surprising when you consider that the NPD data comes at a high price for subscribers and by press getting results at the same time, it devalues the subscriptions. I can remember a time before NPD made some of the data available when some folks here would leak numbers, so I would assume that the data will be available at some point in time.

The timing of the announcement sure is lousy, though. While not 100% accurate, NPD data was the best snapshot of industry sales that we had and the numbers did generate some interesting conversations. Cutting off the data just prior to Q4-- and a predicted "comeback" for the industry after what's been perceived as a "correction" period-- could certainly be read by conspiracy theorists as evidence that there's no real turnaround coming. (Or, perhaps, there may be some concern that new motion control tech and games may not come anywhere near company projections.)

End of an era, I guess.

dolemite

We'll probably keep getting the Xbox numbers from MSFT but the other consoles will have to be extrapolated from "more that twice/three times blah blah blah" statements.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Guevara said:
Oh my. Hope this news isn't too much of a blow to your work. Makes me feel like an asshole to complain about this as it's just a hobby.
The NPD Group has confirmed that it will continue to help me with (c) in my list of sources, as such opportunities arise.

The simple fact is, I enjoy writing the columns and they do not determine whether I get to eat or not. My real life is elsewhere.

kswiston

charlequin said:
Can anyone more knowledgeable than me on the matter (insert eight-bit-dog-on-spotlight-stumpokapow-signal.jpg here) explain why exactly the information is so free and open for films? It's not a matter of competition....

I don't know the real answer, but perhaps it has to do with the fact that a game is considered "sold" by publishers when they sell to retail, but studio earnings on movies are based on a percentage of actual ticket sales by theatres. Theatres are obligated to share their box office info, but I doubt retail companies are obligated to share their videogame sell-through numbers. NPD has worked out agreements with a lot of retailers to get their sales info. No one else seems interested in bothering to do the same.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
VGChampion said:
Thank god. No one here. Literally no one here should care about sales numbers.
So you don't care if games you like get sequels or not?

iosef

Having spent a bunch of time in the market research industry, there are likely two reasons why NPD changed its reporting policy:

1) Sales were down (specifically renewals, as I imagine new business opportunities in this market are few and far between -- industry is shrinking not growing), and sales people were complaining that the non-renewals were occurring because customers could get the important stuff for free via PR/media. This is normal and happens all the time in subscription-based businesses, typically during recessions (like this one) where customers cut non-discretionary spending. If this were the reason, NPD might reverse course -- either a) when the economy turns up and there's more to be gained from teasing figures than hiding them, or b) when less freely available data does not lead to better renewals (quelling the "they're not buying because they can get it for free" sales rep argument). Neither could happen, and either could take years.

BUT, I don't think this is the reason, because *the biggest change is no more reporting of hardware data, and hardware data is already available to everybody through manufacturers' SEC filings*. Everybody gets the numbers, just delayed. Which leads me to believe the real reason is...

2) A big customer demanded it. Market research businesses tend to have highly concentrated sales, i.e. a few large customers buy a ton of licenses and can account for a disproportionate share of revenue. These businesses are usually the largest vendors who use their customer status to influence what the market researcher publishes, because the market research announcement themselves influence other people's decisions who don't necessarily subscribe to NPD data (specifically, retailers). The version of this reading would be "MS/Sony don't want people to know that Kinect/Move bombed." Everyone will find out eventually, but with a three-month delay until those companies do financial reports, giving plenty of time to message to nervous retailers.

[end of opinion]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Baw. I liked NPD, t'was the most fun day of the month on GAF.

I don't have any emotional investment in them, but I like to see how good or bad certain games sell. I was looking forward to Other M and Dead Rising 2 numbers.

Oh well, I probably won't commit suicide because of this.

VGChampion said:
Thank god. No one here. Literally no one here should care about sales numbers.
It's almost as though sales figures have no effect on the industry (what game series live or die, for example).

Corto

My numbers of September WW sales:

PS3 π
Xbox 360 :º)
Wii 500 Kg
PSP 2ml q4hrs. 7 days
DS 1/2
PSP Go LOL

Discuss.

As much as I hate Sales-Age, anything that gives the Chartz what are related to VGs more power is my enemy.

Neuromancer said:
It's almost as though sales figures have no effect on the industry (what game series live or die, for example).
It's also almost as if these numbers bear any relevance to only a scant few GAFers that happen to be investors or analysts, and these numbers serve no purpose to the general enthusiast audience than dick-waving and making stupid arguments based on nothing whatsoever.

The information is certianly useful and interesting, but the whole community that has sprung up around reading these numbers like tea leaves is, in my opinion, completely detrimental to the community and what enthusiast media should not be focused on as a whole.

Why don't they just release to the public data from last year this month.

Year old data has to be useless to publishers anyway.

Or 6 months ago. At least we'd have data, even if it isn't up to the minute data.

Sadist

jvm said:
This is incorrect. I work from (a) public data (b) comments made by analysts (for example, our good friend Mr. Pachter) and (c) specific data provided to me by NPD upon request, when such requests are fulfilled.
Oh :(

Commence doooooooooomed procedure

Neuromancer said:

People in the industry will still have access to those numbers so they'll get the information they need. NPD numbers have nothing to do with anyone on this forum.

unomas

Banned
This is definitely giant suckage! I always looked and participated in the NPD threads, and it's interesting to see how each console is selling month to month. Without leaks we'll have to depend on the console manufacturers for data, and that's not something I'm all that interested in. I would pay $50 a year for a sub forum on GAF that let's you see the NPD's each month.

Threi

notag
I mean at most I can understand being indifferent about this news if you don't care about sales numbers, but there is zero benefit to a forum user if they go away. Sales discussion has, for the most part, been completely relegated to sales threads.

Basically either you are happy to see a large resource of supplemental video game information go to satisfy an overblown minor annoyance you have with some posters, or you are happy to not have them because something reported in the numbers personally offends you.

Either way being specifically joyful about this just makes you a prick. Maybe people who express interest in game sales figures do so because they don't want to live in ignorance.

jkanownik

iosef said:
...The version of this reading would be "MS/Sony don't want people to know that Kinect/Move bombed."

You're assuming that Kinect and Move would be classified as software. This issue could just as easily been solved by classifying them as accessories, so they wouldn't be in the normal software reporting anyway.

kswiston

Reginald P. Linux said:
People in the industry will still have access to those numbers so they'll get the information they need. NPD numbers have nothing to do with anyone on this forum.

Well they are handy in letting us know if we should get our hopes up for seeing sequels to a game we really enjoyed. Also, I can easily say the same thing about sports. That no one other than the athletes themselves and the people who own/manage professional teams should care about sports stats. Doesn't stop millions of people from caring.

Corto said:
My numbers of September WW sales:

PS3 π
Xbox 360 :º)
Wii 500 Kg
PSP 2ml q4hrs. 7 days
DS 1/2
PSP Go LOL

Discuss.

I believe these are accurate - I have determined this via a complex system that takes into account sales data rumours, percentages released via PR, Amazon bestseller lists, what's sellin' down at my local game store, and which hardware all my mates are buying.

Top Bottom