• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR Race Card Project: 'Must We Forget Our Confederate Ancestors?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Heard this on the radio this morning.

race-card-reenact_custom-201eca94170ab258f8585b83fcbabec76687f7f6-s40-c85.jpg

NPR continues a series of conversations from The Race Card Project, where thousands of people have submitted their thoughts on race and cultural identity in six words.

Jesse Dukes does not have Confederate ancestors. But in the time he's spent writing about Civil War re-enactors, he's met many who say they do.

Their perspectives on the Confederate flag and the legacy of their ancestors prompted Dukes, a writer and radio reporter, to share his own six words with the Race Card Project: "Must We Forget Our Confederate Ancestors?"

Dukes, a Southerner himself, embedded last year with a group of Civil War re-enactors at the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, and wrote about it in a piece for the Virginia Quarterly Review.

"I just wanted to see the spectacle of the thing," he tells NPR Special Correspondent Michele Norris. The event, a re-enactment of one of the Civil War's most famous battles, "was going to be like the Woodstock of re-enacting, is what everyone told me. ... I wanted to sort of understand what they got out of it."

Part of his motivation, Dukes says, was to connect with re-enactors "in an environment where I thought people would be comfortable talking about things like the legacy of slavery, and the legacy of Jim Crow and the legacy of racism."

As it turned out, the people he met weren't particularly comfortable talking about those themes, Dukes says. But they did talk when prompted, and "everybody was kind and everybody was very welcoming," he notes.

Many Confederate re-enactors understand, Dukes says, that the Confederate flag is associated with segregation, the KKK and lynchings. "And invariably people would say, you know, racism was so terrible. It was an abomination. ... But that's not what I'm here to connect with,' " Dukes says.

Instead, the re-enactors were there to connect with their ancestors, he says. "And maybe not run up that exact same hill, but a simulacrum of that hill with the same sounds and the same shouts and the same visual stimulus — minus the blood and dying. And it still seemed to define their identity."

"I think people tried to distance their ancestors from the guilt associated with slavery, and I also think they tried to implicate everybody else," Dukes says. "So, pointing out, very accurately, that slavery — the economic system — relied on the markets and the textile factories and places like that in the North."

While reporting, Dukes met Sara Smith, a Confederate re-enactor from Dayton, Va. Her great-great-grandfather, Harry N. Smith, fought for the Confederacy at Gettysburg and was wounded in battle.

Sara Smith has Confederate flag stickers on the back of her truck — and says those who see it as a symbol glorifying racism or segregation don't understand the meaning the flag holds for her.

"I think people need to realize ... it's a history, not a hate issue," Smith told Dukes. "I think too many people get caught up in the symbol. You know, for us, it doesn't mean the same thing it means to other people. The flag that they get so upset over, was actually not a flag. It was a battle flag. It was what you formed off of to know you were on the right side" in battle.

Smith doesn't think her great-great grandfather was fighting to preserve slavery. To her, it's "the flag her great-great-grandfather carried up that hill in a desperate attempt to maintain his state's freedom from government interference," Dukes says.

And "if her great-great-grandfather was a good, noble, brave person who was wounded, and then came home, and still lived to be something like 80, and showed so much bravery on the field, and he could carry that flag, why would it be wrong for her to put it on her vehicle?"

Dukes describes that perspective as "willful innocence." It's a logic "that says, 'OK, I have the right to love my great-great-grandfather and to admire those things in his life that are admirable, like bravery, like loyalty, like accomplishments, like survival. And because he must have been a good person, then the cause he fought for and the flag that he held must not have been a bad cause.' "

Dukes says that perspective led some of the re-enactors to make the following assertion: "People who are offended by [the flag] just don't understand what the Confederate flag really means."

The Confederate flag holds different significance for other Americans, as well, Dukes says. While some Southerners are well aware that the flag is often perceived as racist — and display it anyway — others display it to demonstrate their mistrust in federal government and as a symbol of resistance to federal regulation.

And for others, Dukes says, the Confederate flag signifies an awareness that rural white Southerners, and rural Americans more generally, are often stereotyped as backward.

"I think the flag has transcended Southern identity to become [linked to] a kind of rural impoverished identity, too," says Dukes, who says he's even seen people display the Confederate flag in rural Maine.

"I think there are poor people in the rural South, and North and all over the country, who do feel like they're stereotyped and they don't have everything ... including respect ... that's due to them.

"I'm not sure that waving a Confederate flag is a great way to get that respect back — and often it is enacting the stereotype that they're trying to escape — but I do think it's a legitimate complaint nevertheless."

Dukes says he enjoyed meeting re-enactors like Smith, and doesn't "begrudge them their weekends clad in gray, remembering their ancestors, hoisting libations, and waving the battle flag," he writes in Virginia Quarterly Review.

But, Dukes writes, "better to roll the flag up at the end of the weekend and leave it in the trunk until the next reenactment. This is the 21st century, and the Confederate flag has no place in our time."

Selected comments:

Being black (AND a history/political science major), I could never quite grasp the whole "remember the South" mentality among these people. Granted, there were concepts like "personal honor" and "Southern Gentility" that were embedded with Condeferate culture, there was also extreme classism (the "plantation class" vs. everybody else) and the institutionalization of racism in the culture. The whole thing is akin to a German trying to reminisce about the "good" 'ol times of the Third Reich, but not the bad that it represented.

I've had to deal with this issue about symbolism in my classes (remember from my name I live in Vermont-- go figure) and one day a kid came in wearing a shirt with a Confederate Flag. He directly challenged me:
"Does this offend you?"
I replied-- "Do you support the Army? Marines and other soldiers who will and have laid down their lives for you?"
"Of course! I want to join the Marines out of high school."
"How do you feel about terrorists who are killing American soldiers in Iraq now?"
"Hate them-- that's why I want to join!"
"You know I served, right"
"Yes."
"And many of my friends are now in combat, right?"
"Yes."
"Well, the people who carried that flag during the Civil War did the same thing that the terrorists in Iraq are doing right now-- they fought against and killed United States Army soldiers and United States Marines in combat. You're wearing a flag of a group that killed members of the very organization you want to join."
"But they were Americans too!"
"No, they were not-- they didn't want to be Americans anymore. They wanted to Confederates. The men who fought for that flag killed American Soldiers Marines and Sailors, period. We can debate states rights, slavery, modern day interpretations, yada, yada, yada. But to me, those who carried that flag in the Civil War willfully killed American military personnel and that's why it bothers me."
(note, above comment is not me, I'm not the only person living in VT)

As a german who lives in the south, here is my take on it.

As a german I think you can inherit responsibility (to not allow certain thing to happen again), but not the guilt for what happened (before you were born).

The germans still take some silent pride in what they see as "neutral" acomplishments. The rocket technology that later brought the US and the Russians into space and to the moon is the prime example.

As someone living in the south and volunteering as historical interpreter (not military reenactment, we do the civilian life around 1775) I met many people who do the interpreting and the reenacting. I never experience any kind of racism there.

I also met plenty of people in daily life who had rebel flags on the clothing, cars or as tattoo and who never showed any signs of racism (but a lot of local pride).

And then there are the racists. People who clearly judge you by the color of your skin, your ancestors and your country of origin. I seen them with and without rebel flags, with or without southern pride.

In the end you need to look at the individuals and judge them by their actions and not get distracted by people using the same symbols.

As an American, as a woman of color, and as one who grew up in the South in the mid-twentieth century, I do not want to forget any of the history of this country for the convenience of those who do not appreciate it. Revisionist history is a lie. Why lie? If you begin to lie about this, you will distort the truth about anything. Once you delete the Civil War, you delete African slave contributions to the building of this country. That then deletes the requirement to correct the injustices that have kept people who have suffered here 400 years under forced labor, in terms of monetary and/or legal means. So be careful, black folks, what you wish for.

Source: http://www.npr.org/2014/10/21/357576237/six-words-must-we-forget-our-confederate-ancestors

markot

Banned
They were fighting for slavery. You dont have to forget them, but you dont have the celebrate them.

The German guy is cute though. So he is fine with people parading the Dixie flag, but why doesnt he parade the Swastika? Both are pretty vile symbols to most thinking people. And no, you cant decide the meaning of a symbol that has its own meaning inherant in it.

Getting ready for another thread of people defending a symbol of racism by trying to give it cover by saying they are 'honoring their ancestors'. What bull.

Heard this story on the way to work btw. That term "willful innocense' describes many whites view of the flag so well its disgusting. Your grandpapa was a racist and was defending a racist insitution, stop trying to whitewash it.

Within the context of a cultural heritage, no western flag is lacking taint.

That said, I live in MN. I always cringe when I see someone with no cultural connection having their trucks, hats, jackets, etc - emboldened with the Confederate flag. To me, it's an ignorant pro-white statement - not a celebration of any positive historical aspects.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"I think too many people get caught up in the symbol. You know, for us, it doesn't mean the same thing it means to other people. The flag that they get so upset over, was actually not a flag. It was a battle flag. It was what you formed off of to know you were on the right side" in battle
...but you weren't on the right side

Fuchsdh

They were fighting for slavery. You dont have to forget them, but you dont have the celebrate them.

The German guy is cute though. So he is fine with people parading the Dixie flag, but why doesnt he parade the Swastika? Both are pretty vile symbols to most thinking people. And no, you cant decide the meaning of a symbol that has its own meaning inherant in it.

Yeah, yeah you can. The whole basis of things like transgendered rights is that your experience and your sense of identity can trump others'. No one can decide for you what a swastika means or what a Confederate flag means to you.

There will of course be obvious cultural baggage and context that you ignore at your own peril, but that's the case with essentially any bit of history people dredge up.

If these people want to reenact battles their ancestors fought in as a way to connect with them, that doesn't make them racist, and that doesn't mean they're blind to the problems of the Confederacy and how we're still grappling with similar issues of race today. But their experience with it and their takeaways are completely different from yours.

Getting ready for another thread of people defending a symbol of racism by trying to give it cover by saying they are 'honoring their ancestors'. What bull.

Heard this story on the way to work btw. That term "willful innocense' describes many whites view of the flag so well its disgusting. Your grandpapa was a racist and was defending a racist insitution, stop trying to whitewash it.

This is a pretty black-and-white rebrand of history. The entire south didn't pop up, say "I'm racist, let's fight" and then have a war. Hell, considering the population imbalance there were probably more people you'd classify as racist in the Union army during the war.

markot

Banned

Flags are there to represent things, they are the symbol of the group.

The swastika was the symbil of the Nazis. The confederate flag the symbol of the confederacy. Those symbols represent those movements. Those movements meant something. That meaning is part and parcel of those symbols.

You can pretend the flag means something else till the cows come home. But it's fundamentally about a group that wanted to dissolve the union over their desire to keep slaves. That's what they were fighting for. That's why they existed. That's what it means to most people. And that is what it will always mean.

I'm not even going to bother with the transgender stuff, it's a ridiculous point.

RedTurbo

Banned
Usually, because history is typically written from the side of the victors, I would say to examine the information that we know of and come to a conclusion based around actual facts rather than mythology. In the case of the Civil War, "celebrating" any side other than the victors is appalling.

It's a proven historical fact that the Civil War was fought on the side of the Confederacy to preserve slavery for rich white landowners who fought politically with Northerners for nearly 40 years eventually losing due to the political liberalism of Northerners and the Republican party during and after the Civil War to the point of passing Constitutional amendments. The reason why so many non-gentry class white people fought was precisely because they weren't able to be enslaved or suffer the effects of racism if slavery were to be deinstitutionalized in the South.

It's also a proven historical fact that the Confederacy needed the Union to survive which is why the war didn't last forever.

"Well, the people who carried that flag during the Civil War did the same thing that the terrorists in Iraq are doing right now-- they fought against and killed United States Army soldiers and United States Marines in combat. You're wearing a flag of a group that killed members of the very organization you want to join."
"But they were Americans too!"
"No, they were not-- they didn't want to be Americans anymore. They wanted to Confederates. The men who fought for that flag killed American Soldiers Marines and Sailors, period. We can debate states rights, slavery, modern day interpretations, yada, yada, yada. But to me, those who carried that flag in the Civil War willfully killed American military personnel and that's why it bothers me."
This teacher is an idiot.

Confederates is short for...?

Fuchsdh

Usually, because history is typically written from the side of the victors, I would say to examine the information that we know of and come to a conclusion based around actual facts rather than mythology. In the case of the Civil War, "celebrating" any side other than the victors is appalling.

It's a proven historical fact that the Civil War was fought on the side of the Confederacy to preserve slavery for rich white landowners who fought politically with Northerners for nearly 40 years eventually losing due to the political liberalism of Northerners and the Republican party during and after the Civil War to the point of passing Constitutional amendments. The reason why so many non-gentry class white people fought was precisely because they weren't able to be enslaved or suffer the effects of racism if slavery were to be deinstitutionalized in the South.

It's also a proven historical fact that the Confederacy needed the Union to survive which is why the war didn't last forever.
Where are you getting these facts from?

RedTurbo

Banned
Where are you getting these facts from?

Are you saying that the Confederacy didn't need the Union? The Union could've easily cut ties with the South but not the other way around.

It's doubtful they would've survived as a country if the Union signed some sort of peace treaty with them due to the previous historical precedents about federalism vs anti-federalism and with their economic system of slavery. The entire US economy at the time relied on Northern industry and slavery. While slavery did subsidize most of the Union's industry, slavery on its own wasn't going to create a stable economy.

Kyzer

Banned
Kinda dumb. The flag is just a symbol but you cant cherrypick what it represents. But also I don't believe the confederacy was fighting "for slavery" like many people believe. Slaves weren't even freed until toward the end of the war so its not like thats what the war was about.

Are you saying that the Confederacy didn't need the Union? The Union could've easily cut ties with the South but not the other way around.

It's doubtful they would've survived as a country if the Union signed some sort of peace treaty with them due to the previous historical precedents about federalism vs anti-federalism and with their economic system of slavery. The entire US economy at the time relied on Northern industry and slavery. While slavery did subsidize most of the Union's industry, slavery on its own wasn't going to create a stable economy.

idk dude all the USA's cash crops were in the south at the time. Its not like now where theres a world trade center and wall street. Abraham Lincoln talked a lot of big game about people's rights to secede from government and then stopped the south from doing it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Kinda dumb. But also I don't believe the confederacy was fighting "for slavery" like many people believe. Slaves weren't even freed until toward the end of the war so its not like thats what the war was about.

Slavery was only mentioned in the Declaration of Causes of the seceding states anyway.

ezrarh

Kinda dumb. The flag is just a symbol but you cant cherrypick what it represents. But also I don't believe the confederacy was fighting "for slavery" like many people believe. Slaves weren't even freed until toward the end of the war so its not like thats what the war was about.

What was it about then?

Chichikov

The south seceded from the union to preserve slavery, they didn't make a secret of it, go and read the confederate states' declarations of secession.
The Civil War was very much about slavery, the confederate flag is a battle flag that was flown over armies fighting to preserve that abhorrent institution.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's definitely true that a vast number of people don't understand what the confederate flag represents. Just not who the people who keep saying that, think.

This kills me:

Smith doesn't think her great-great grandfather was fighting to preserve slavery. To her, it's "the flag her great-great-grandfather carried up that hill in a desperate attempt to maintain his state's freedom from government interference," Dukes says.

States freedom from government interference, which was done because of SLAVERY. What the fuck?!

Cagey

Banned
...but you weren't on the right side

She probably meant "right" side to mean "if I'm in a battle of two factions, and I belong to faction A, the flag was a symbol help me differentiate between faction A and faction B lets me know that the group with that symbol is my faction, so I don't run into enemy forces."

Which exhibits the naivety and willful ignorance quite well, that she can distill the flag representing the Confederacy down into the equivalent of a trumpet call for soldiers to know where to rally to.

HylianTom

Banned
To the "it's heritage" people down here all the time, I ask: where are the other flags that have flown over this territory? Why are you only picking one specific flag out? There are many flags that have flown over this state, some rather influential ones, others that flew for a long time.. and yet you only pick out this one.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Bregor

This is a saying that I'm getting tired of hearing, because it promotes the incorrect idea that the history written after a war is always biased in favor of the victors, and cannot be trusted.

Though sometimes this is the truth, quite often it is not. And sometimes the lies are not written by the winners, but the losers.

And that was what happened with the American Civil War. After the defeat of the South, many there realized that the world at large had become so hostile to slavery that they would never be able to justify going to war to preserve it. So began the invention of the Lost Cause myth, that the South went to war for states rights, not slavery. That slavery was a benign institution, with most slaves happy and loyal. And that the only reason why the North won was an overwhelming superiority in men and material.

The political leadership of the North eventually acquiesced in many of the tenets of the Lost Cause, because they were more interested in bringing the country back together than confronting such lies. And they had little chance of making the people in the South loyal again if they were constantly told that they had been participating in an evil institution, and fought a pointless war for it.

For many decades this myth was the accepted history for most people, and shaped the image of the South that was put into the films that Hollywood created. Gone With the Wind is only one of many films from that era that romanticized the society of the South and the institution of slavery. It wasn't until the 1970's that the hold of the Lost Cause myth began to be broken by historians taking a more critical look at the actual conditions and actions of those involved in the civil war era. Today the Lost Cause is almost totally discredited.

So, for the better part of a century, it was the losers who wrote history.

When I began my interest with the Civil War, I sympathized with a lot of the more romantic portrayals of the South that had their roots in the Lost Cause. But as I have read more, and studied the facts of what the institution of slavery was like, and what people actually did back then, I have come to despise it more and more. It is important to understand that the blacks were not made slaves just for economic reasons. That is how it began, but the southern slave holders developed a racist ideology to help rationalize the morality of keeping people as property just because of their skin color. This wasn't just an excuse, they believed it. When you examine the hateful ideology, the cruel practices, and paranoid attitude that pervaded the south in this period, it's hard not see it as one of the most evil systems that world has seen in the last two hundred years.

And it deserves no pride.

There's this fascinating dichotomy at the heart of the Confederacy. For a lot of people, especially the ones fighting, it really was a states rights thing. They were too poor for slavery to be a personal motivator. They really were getting out there and dying for a cause they believed in, one that isn't necessarily wrong.

But at the same time there's the inescapable fact that the state right in question was slavery, and that the people (the wannabe Southern aristocracy who actually ran the Confederacy, and indeed, the state legislatures) who actually voted to secede were overwhelmingly motivated by self-interest.

So the question becomes: can you separate the good intentions of the average Johnny Reb from the sickening motivations of the leading class? Is there something redeemable in the Confederate flag? My answer is no. The flag is the symbol of the slave owners first and foremost; they were the guiding force behind the secession, they were the ones who set up the resulting state. It is (without layering on too much anthropomorphism) a racist flag, the belief that black people are less than human made into cloth. Ditch the damn thing, find a new symbol.

The Confederacy killed hundreds of thousands in the name of slavery, pick some other fucking symbol to care about if you aren't a fucking racist asshole.

Has anyone ever seriously suggested we forget about the confederacy? I don't know where the article is coming from.

Hell, my wife has nazi ancestors - my mother-in-law's wall where she hangs all her old, dead relatives has a couple of nazis on it. They're German by ancestry, it's bound to happen.

Both sides really were quite awful. The Union took immigrants fleeing Europe and threw them into the meat grinder. The whole thing is a shameful episode of America's past all around.

Mumei

Bregor, that's a great post.

There's this fascinating dichotomy at the heart of the Confederacy. For a lot of people, especially the ones fighting, it really was a states rights thing. They were too poor for slavery to be a personal motivator. They really were getting out there and dying for a cause they believed in, one that isn't necessarily wrong.

But at the same time there's the inescapable fact that the state right in question was slavery, and that the people (the wannabe Southern aristocracy who actually ran the Confederacy, and indeed, the state legislatures) who actually voted to secede were overwhelmingly motivated by self-interest.

So the question becomes: can you separate the good intentions of the average Johnny Reb from the sickening motivations of the leading class? Is there something redeemable in the Confederate flag? My answer is no. The flag is the symbol of the slave owners first and foremost; they were the guiding force behind the secession, they were the ones who set up the resulting state. It is (without layering on too much anthropomorphism) a racist flag, the belief that black people are less than human made into cloth. Ditch the damn thing, find a new symbol.

Indeed.

Or as Alexander Stevens put it: "Our new government's foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man, that slavery - subordination to the superior race - is his natural and normal condition."

Slavery's centrality to the Confederate cause is indisputable.

p2535748

Wow, this article really seems like someone read Confederates in the Attic and turned it into a NPR piece (though with a more inflammatory title). It's a great book, by the way, and I highly recommend reading it if you want perspective on re-enactors and how the Civil War is seen/remembered in parts of the US.

TSM

Having recently lived in Jena Louisiana for 6 years, many southerners still don't like "Yanks". If you have never lived in the deep south, it's hard to understand just how different the attitudes of your fellow countrymen can be from your own. It's also not a matter of individuals, there's a whole culture that actively tries to reject "Yankee" sensibilities.

pigeon

Banned

I actually think this is not a great argument, because slavery wasn't just about owning slaves. Even a poor white man had the right to own property, to learn to read, to marry, and, frankly, to abuse and attack any black person they encountered, regardless of their class, knowing the law would protect them if the black person were to react poorly. They knew that, in every conflict, the interests of the slaveowners would align along the axis of protecting and promoting white people and controlling black people. (It's not accidental that, when it became impossible to discriminate against black people without discriminating against poor white people, the plight of the poor white in the South suddenly got really bad. The South used to be famous for its strong public school systems when it was impossible for African-Americans to attend them.)

So even if you weren't a slaveowner yourself, the social order of slavery meant that you'd never be at the bottom of the pecking order. There were always people you could stand on to try to climb up.

The funny thing about this argument is, I'm pretty sure that if you actually grabbed some of these Confederate ancestors from the middle of the war and told them "so we decided your war wasn't about slavery and you weren't all that racist," they'd say "what the fuck, it totally was about slavery and how n*gg*rs are animals that need to be led." That's what they actually thought! (Not from the end of the war, because everybody started changing their positions really fast when Reconstruction started so that they could maintain political relevance.) So I don't really see how it honors your ancestors to lie about them and make up ancestors you'd prefer to have had. It's really just a way of managing your cognitive dissonance at the expense of your heritage. You're better off just saying "yeah, my heritage is a bunch of slavers, and that was horrible, but there were some good things they also did which are worth remembering as long as we understand the gestalt."

But that would require celebrating things that aren't, you know, battles to preserve slavery.

Bleepey

The confederate flag confuses me, or to be more accurate black people wearing the confederate glaf confuses me. I remember seeing Outkast and Kanye West wearing it and I thought to myself what am I missing here?

Having recently lived in Jena Louisiana for 6 years, many southerners still don't like "Yanks". If you have never lived in the deep south, it's hard to understand just how different the attitudes of your fellow countrymen can be from your own. It's also not a matter of individuals, there's a whole culture that actively tries to reject "Yankee" sensibilities.

This might surprise you, but it's actually gotten much better in recent years. Now that the older generation's dying off you don't separatist rhetoric such as the "War of Northern Agression" nearly as much. It's still sad to see young people repeating that garbage though.

The confederate flag confuses me, or to be more accurate black people wearing the confederate glaf confuses me. I remember seeing Outkast and Kanye West wearing it and I thought to myself what am I missing here?

Kanye appropriates symbols however he pleases. He could show up to a concert dressed as the pope and say he's redefining religion.

Brakke

Banned
Dear Max,

Usually when I see your "selected comments" section I shed a tear for the heinous shit you probably had to wade through, then flinch away and get into the thread. However I read 'em this time and you picked some interesting ones. So thanks for probably wading through some muck and for finding some interesting stuff.

Yours,
Brakke

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't get the idea that "you must honor your heritage" even if they did horrible things.

I have Scandinavian-Irish ancestry on my mother's side, but that doesn't mean I go around setting fire to Celtic churches and kidnapping women.

kirblar

Great post.

This is what made 12 Years a Slave such a good movie- it wasn't just interested in exploring one man's story- it was interested in using that story to explore how the very institution of slavery corrupted and warped everything around it, breaking everyone under its weight.

Does the original Confederate flag stir up a lot of emotions? I know it basically means the same thing, but is it as recognisable?

320px-CSA_FLAG_4.3.1861-21.5.1861.svg.png

Chichikov

Does the original Confederate flag stir up a lot of emotions? I know it basically means the same thing, but is it as recognisable?

320px-CSA_FLAG_4.3.1861-21.5.1861.svg.png
I don't think it's all that recognizable, and as far as I know, it was not used by racists as rallying cry, so my guess that it wouldn't stir a lot of emotions.
I would imagine many people would mistake it for the Betsy Ross flag (or similarly early flag of the united states).

Valhelm

contribute something
Both sides really were quite awful. The Union took immigrants fleeing Europe and threw them into the meat grinder. The whole thing is a shameful episode of America's past all around.

Allowing volunteer immigrants to serve in a war is much less awful than enslaving millions of people and killing, beating, and raping them for centuries.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And "if her great-great-grandfather was a good, noble, brave person who was wounded, and then came home, and still lived to be something like 80, and showed so much bravery on the field, and he could carry that flag, why would it be wrong for her to put it on her vehicle?
Alternatively, why does this person need or want to take pride in something their great-great-grandfather did? I will really never understand this form of pride and deference to your lineage.

I think it was probably still very personal for many, just indirect and hypothetical. Much like we currently have poor people defending the various preferential policies for the wealthy and voting against their personal best interests, you'd have non-slave owners who hope to one day fall into that crowd and benefit from those institutional advantages. They may not own slaves at the time, but they would like to. That was, in many ways, part of the American dream in the south at that time.

Growing up in the South my family would stop at a lot of the roadside farmer's stands. Not like big farmer's markets but truly a stand.

There would always be an old farmer dude sitting around and they would be selling these fullsized flags along with their food. They were all variants that had "The Southern Rebel Will Rise Again" written on them with a skeleton in a Confederate army outfit overlayed on some sort of Confederate flag motif.

I didn't really get the symbolism when I was a kid and later it became depressing but now I kind of find it hilarious. It is hot and humid as fuck like 95% of the time in the South and you got all these crusty old farmers sitting around sweltering pining for days they never actually had.

Bregor

Allowing volunteer immigrants to serve in a war is much less awful than enslaving millions of people and killing, beating, and raping them for centuries.

Be a little careful here. There was some real forced impressment that occurred during the civil war. The typical method was to drug a man's drink, when he awoke he would find himself in uniform already on his way to the army. He was told that he had enlisted while drunk, spent all his enlistment bonus on alcohol, and that was why he could not remember the events. (The perpetrator did it too pocket the enlistment bonus, of course.) Immigrants were fairly common targets for this because they typically had less family and friends around that could back them up. Though the government had no direct part in this, they typically were not very sympathetic to a foreigner who claimed he had not willingly joined - to them it just sounded like another soldier trying to get out of duty.

You'll note that I didn't specify which government. That's because it happened both in the north and south.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This is a saying that I'm getting tired of hearing, because it promotes the incorrect idea that the history written after a war is always biased in favor of the victors, and cannot be trusted.

Though sometimes this is the truth, quite often it is not. And sometimes the lies are not written by the winners, but the losers.

And that was what happened with the American Civil War. After the defeat of the South, many there realized that the world at large had become so hostile to slavery that they would never be able to justify going to war to preserve it. So began the invention of the Lost Cause myth, that the South went to war for states rights, not slavery. That slavery was a benign institution, with most slaves happy and loyal. And that the only reason why the North won was an overwhelming superiority in men and material.

The political leadership of the North eventually acquiesced in many of the tenets of the Lost Cause, because they were more interested in bringing the country back together than confronting such lies. And they had little chance of making the people in the South loyal again if they were constantly told that they had been participating in an evil institution, and fought a pointless war for it.

For many decades this myth was the accepted history for most people, and shaped the image of the South that was put into the films that Hollywood created. Gone With the Wind is only one of many films from that era that romanticized the society of the South and the institution of slavery. It wasn't until the 1970's that the hold of the Lost Cause myth began to be broken by historians taking a more critical look at the actual conditions and actions of those involved in the civil war era. Today the Lost Cause is almost totally discredited.

So, for the better part of a century, it was the losers who wrote history.

When I began my interest with the Civil War, I sympathized with a lot of the more romantic portrayals of the South that had their roots in the Lost Cause. But as I have read more, and studied the facts of what the institution of slavery was like, and what people actually did back then, I have come to despise it more and more. It is important to understand that the blacks were not made slaves just for economic reasons. That is how it began, but the southern slave holders developed a racist ideology to help rationalize the morality of keeping people as property just because of their skin color. This wasn't just an excuse, they believed it. When you examine the hateful ideology, the cruel practices, and paranoid attitude that pervaded the south in this period, it's hard not see it as one of the most evil systems that world has seen in the last two hundred years.

And it deserves no pride.

Amazing post. All my non existence upvotes.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Dukes describes that perspective as "willful innocence."
Willful ignorance is more like it. That woman is either in serious need of a history lesson or she's being purposely obtuse.

Sinfamy

If you were fighting for the confederate forces, you were fighting to leave the union. Meaning you were committing treason against the United States.
In other words, these people were as un-patriotic and un-American as it gets.

Which disgusts me when I see these southerners calling themselves "real" Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom