• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NR: Russian state news goes hilariously overboard in spinning flight MH17 crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Great article from The New Republic about the way flight MH17 (the plane shot down over the Ukraine) is being reported by Russia's state-controlled news outlets.

The Russian Public Has a Totally Different Understanding of What Happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 17
http://www.newrepublic.com/node/118782

The conspiracy theories that are being reported by the state controlled news are beyond belief:

The New Republic said:
The best of the bunch is, of course, an elaborate one: MH17 is actually MH370, that Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared into the Indian Ocean. According to this theory, the plane didn’t disappear at all...

“It was taken to an American military base, Diego-Garcia. Then it was taken to Holland. On the necessary day and hour, it flew out, bound for Malaysia, but inside were not live people, but corpses. The plane was flown not by real pilots; it was on autopilot. Or take-off (a complicated procedure) was executed by live pilots, who then ejected on parachutes. Then the plane flew automatically. In the necessary spot, it was blown up, without even using a surface-to-air missile. Instead the plane was packed with a bomb, just like the CIA did on 9/11.

Armaros

Great article from The New Republic about the way flight MH17 (the plane shot down over the Ukraine) is being reported by Russia's state-controlled news outlets.

The Russian Public Has a Totally Different Understanding of What Happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 17
http://www.newrepublic.com/node/118782

The conspiracy theories that are being reported by the state controlled news are beyond belief:

Sounds like they just ripped off
Sherlock

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Instinctively, I feel like someone who would believe this theory is suffering from mental illness... but I don't know what living somewhere like that is like. They still have the internet in Russia though, so I hope enough people spend time to double check facts.

Really though, this sort of shit is embarrassing. I don't know how the Russians can take being assumed a fool by the government.

ЯAW

Banned
Sad to see where Russia is heading. What is even sadder is the fact Putin still has massive support from the people of Russia.

What do you call it when you've already jumped off the deep end and then jump off again?
Diving down to an continental shelf and sinking deeper? Probing the core with your dumb stick?

Part of me wants to make propaganda for the Russian Government because par is so low, there is a lot one could get away with. UFOs and telekinetics are the truth no one would accept because of the Big Lie. Obama is from Planet Kenyeeeah!

Kinyou

The best of the bunch is, of course, an elaborate one: MH17 is actually MH370, that Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared into the Indian Ocean.
really4nluk8.gif

There must be people living in Russia who post on this board. It would be interesting to hear their thoughts as to the diversity of opinion between Russian media and the media at large (via the internet),

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This reads like some anti-american conspiracy stories from North Korea. Who knew Russia was just as bad?

Passenger lists ... how do they work?

Also, aren't there photos of the outside and inside of MH17 on social media? Posted on Instagram and Facebook by people the, now deceased, passengers?

Really doesn't seem like there's any room for a conspiracy theory this time guys :-(

troushers

You've got to be careful with this sort of thing. A lot of the hysterical press is reflected on this side of the pond too. It feels like both sides are engaged in a massive infowar at the moment, and I'm waiting for the dust to settle before any clarity can be found.

It's the easiest thing in the world to find some nutter posting a particularly loony theory and conflate that with every post questioning what are assertions at this point in time. I would have felt that, after the highly ambiguous 'chemical weapons attack' in Syria, where Obama made a series of extraordinary statements that with hindsight seem to be very dubious indeed, people would be careful at taking what anyone is saying at face value.

This reads like some anti-american conspiracy stories from North Korea. Who knew Russia was just as bad?

The study, in The Lancet, says 25% of Russian men die before they are 55, and most of the deaths are down to alcohol. The comparable UK figure is 7%.

Causes of death include liver disease and alcohol poisoning. Many also die in accidents or after getting into fights.

The study is thought to be the largest of its kind in the country.

Researchers from the Russian Cancer Centre in Moscow, Oxford University in the UK and the World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer, in France, tracked the drinking patterns of 151,000 adults in three Russian cities over up to 10 years.
[...]
Researchers say alcohol consumption has fallen by a third since then and the proportion of men dying before they reach 55 years old has fallen from 37% to 25%.

Half a litre of vodka costs around £3.00 (150 roubles). Heavy drinkers in this study were getting through at least a litre and a half of vodka a week.

In 2011, each Russian adult drank on average 13 litres of pure alcohol every year, of which eight litres was in spirits, mainly vodka.

In the UK the comparable figure is 10 litres per adult - but just less than two litres of that is in spirits.

Researchers say the key problem driving the high death rate is the way Russians drink alcohol.

Researcher Prof David Zaridze, from the Russian Cancer Research Centre, said: "They binge drink. That's the main problem. It's the pattern of drinking not the per-capita amount they are drinking."

"Russians have always drunk a lot. They sometimes say it's because of the cold weather but this is just an excuse. This is the nation's lifestyle that needs to change.

"Since the average life expectancy from birth for men in Russia is still only 64 years, ranking among the lowest 50 countries in the world, more effective alcohol and tobacco policy measures are urgently needed."
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25961063

North Korea at a Glance
Land Area: 120,540 sq km, slightly smaller than
Mississippi
Population: 22.7 million (2009 est.)
Head of State: Kim Jong-il
Capital: Pyongyang
Life expectancy: 63.8 years
http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/130212.pdf

I was thinking the meth and complete closure from the outside would have had a higher Russian life expectancy. It is frightening.

This is not "like", this is anti-USA and as I said before, Russian propaganda always worked against USA, showing that USA is world aggressor, that will eventually come to Russia to conquer it. New "propaganda prospect" saying that EU bucked by USA and doing whatever USA saying to them. That's why they added sanctions and so on. And that EU must free from USA shackles, unite with Russia, as this is what America feared and what will destroy it.

This is not "like", this is anti-USA and as I said before, Russian propaganda always worked against USA, showing that USA is world aggressor, that will eventually come to Russia to conquer it. New "propaganda prospect" saying that EU bucked by USA and doing whatever USA saying to them. That's why they added sanctions and so on. And that EU must free from USA shackles, unite with Russia, as this is what America feared and what will destroy it.

The rivalry is more UK-RUS than USA-RUS [at least until Cold War]. USA had great relations with Russia up until that American Expeditionary Force Siberia. Imperial rivalry; see: Afghanistan. US-UK-CAN-AUS has the anglophone alliance.

ymoc

You've got to be careful with this sort of thing. A lot of the hysterical press is reflected on this side of the pond too. It feels like both sides are engaged in a massive infowar at the moment, and I'm waiting for the dust to settle before any clarity can be found.

It's the easiest thing in the world to find some nutter posting a particularly loony theory and conflate that with every post questioning what are assertions at this point in time. I would have felt that, after the highly ambiguous 'chemical weapons attack' in Syria, where Obama made a series of extraordinary statements that with hindsight seem to be very dubious indeed, people would be careful at taking what anyone is saying at face value.

Now now, let's not get reasonable here!
I find it amusing how US GAF falmes up at the mention of Russia. It's like the Cold war never ended. I guess we do live in a bipolar world?!
(pardon my english) What's that english saying again, kettle calling the pot black?
USA, Russia, it's like looking in a mirror.
Now, onward with the hyperbole, poliGaf

Fucking ridiculous, someone I work with (I live in Sydney Australia) knew someone that died on this flight. She was a school teacher and a nun, a real person, not a corpse that was flown from somewhere or whatever.

But I'm sure these conspiracies or tales from someones ass will live on forever.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

There's nothing ambiguous about the chemical weapons attack in Syria. The only people who think there is are the same people now spinning yarns about MH17.

Thanks for the Sherlock spoilers guys. I posted this article on my FB and got the same thing as well.

Are these theories not cited directly from State-sponsored media?

Did Assad not surrender his chemical weapons without much of a struggle?

What exactly are you arguing here?

Now now, let's not get reasonable here!
I find it amusing how US GAF falmes up at the mention of Russia. It's like the Cold war never ended. I guess we do live in a bipolar world?!
(pardon my english) What's that english saying again, kettle calling the pot black?
USA, Russia, it's like looking in a mirror.
Now, onward with the hyperbole, poliGaf

You just jumped out the window without actually addressing anyone's actual posts or pointing out one poster who said anything along the lines of "OMG we should totally nuke Russia before it's too late". The article itself isn't attacking the Russian people, just Putin's government for their laughable misdirection techniques. This is nothing like the Cold War.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks for the Sherlock spoilers guys. I posted this article on my FB and got the same thing as well.

Sherlock Holmes is 125 years old and one of the most famous stories in the series involves Sherlock faking his own death. Your great-grandfather quite possibly read the story, that's how old it is. The BBC series mostly consists of modernizations of original Holmes stories. The fact that there is a faked death in the BBC Sherlock series is only a spoiler to someone who believes that no one can ever talk about anything ever without verifying that everyone in the audience is already aware of that reference.

I can't tell you where to draw the limits on your spoilerphobia, but can you imagine how asinine it would be if in 1999, well before internet discussion culture and fear of spoilers took off, someone demanded that people weren't allowed to talk about Sherlock Holmes, even in an incidental way, even in the context of a story about how real-life is "imitating" (of course these conspiracy theories are nonsense) art, because that person hadn't read them?

Snow White wakes up when the prince declares his love, just FYI. That's another 125 year old spoiler. So if there's a news story about someone coming out from a coma when their childhood love or something shows up, hopefully no one will complain about spoilers in there.

Sherlock Holmes is 125 years old and one of the most famous stories in the series involves Sherlock faking his own death. Your great-grandfather quite possibly read the story, that's how old it is. The BBC series mostly consists of modernizations of original Holmes stories. The fact that there is a faked death in the BBC Sherlock series is only a spoiler to someone who believes that no one can ever talk about anything ever without verifying that everyone in the audience is already aware of that reference.

I can't tell you where to draw the limits on your spoilerphobia, but can you imagine how asinine it would be if in 1999, well before internet discussion culture and fear of spoilers took of, demanded that people weren't allowed to talk about Sherlock Holmes, even in an incidental way, even in the context of a story about how real-life is "imitating" (of course these conspiracy theories are nonsense) art, because that person hadn't read them?

Snow White wakes up when the prince declares his love, just FYI. That's another 125 year old spoiler. So if there's a news story about someone coming out from a coma when their childhood love or something shows up, hopefully no one will complain about spoilers in there.

Uhhh...he wasn't talking about that.

There's an episode with a plane full of dead people. That's not from the original books!

Edit:

I can really see why it's so easy for America to create new enemy after new enemy to justify it's own rampant imperialism.

The public seems generally more knee-jerk and reactionary than the government itself.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Uhhh...he wasn't talking about that.

There's an episode with a plane full of dead people. That's not from the original books!

Sure, but again my point was that the stuff depicted in the series is largely a modernization of what were in the books. The books have faked deaths. There weren't planes, so the books don't have planes. There were corrupt governments, but they took a different form. Zeroing in on the spoiler without recognizing that the tropes themselves are a part of pop culture for an incredibly long time and familiar to anyone who has ever had an interest in the character sort of suggests that the anger about the spoiler is dramatically outsized to the actual priming effect it'll have on someone's enjoyment when they do choose to watch the show. Especially since the nature of the actual spoiler appears to be "Just like in Sherlock! Woah!" rather than anything that actually explains how the episode unfolds, which episode it is, etc.

Sure, but again my point was that the stuff depicted in the series is largely a modernization of what were in the books. The books have faked deaths. There weren't planes, so the books don't have planes. There were corrupt governments, but they took a different form. Zeroing in on the spoiler without recognizing that the tropes themselves are a part of pop culture for an incredibly long time and familiar to anyone who has ever had an interest in the character sort of suggests that the anger about the spoiler is dramatically outsized to the actual priming effect it'll have on someone's enjoyment when they do choose to watch the show. Especially since the nature of the actual spoiler appears to be "Just like in Sherlock! Woah!" rather than anything that actually explains how the episode unfolds, which episode it is, etc.

I think it was a joke.

I can't tell you where to draw the limits on your spoilerphobia, but can you imagine how asinine it would be if in 1999, well before internet discussion culture and fear of spoilers took off, someone demanded that people weren't allowed to talk about Sherlock Holmes, even in an incidental way, even in the context of a story about how real-life is "imitating" (of course these conspiracy theories are nonsense) art, because that person hadn't read them?

I've seen the episode where he fakes his death, and the RDJ movie where he does the same. I've even read Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm well aware it's part of his established lore as a common use character.

The
plane incident
is something else entirely, and is exclusive to the modern BBC retelling.

My partner and I jokingly came up with the "MH17 is actually MH370" theory ourselves a week ago, but it involved more wormholes and time travel. It was a pretty solid theory.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You just jumped out the window without actually addressing anyone's actual posts or pointing out one poster who said anything along the lines of "OMG we should totally nuke Russia before it's too late". The article itself isn't attacking the Russian people, just Putin's government for their laughable misdirection techniques. This is nothing like the Cold War.

It seems to be pretty standard after reading some of the posts in some of the other threads.

You either ignore the stuff you can't respond to, or you create your own narrative and ignore everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom